JB1 007 Digital Camera

wormloverwormlover Formerly Derbyshire, UKPosts: 46MI6 Agent
now, anybody who has recently bought a Bond DVD like I have will notice that you get an ad for a Spy Digital Camera, wow, what a thing you could have but at £69, not worth it. But I was walking in Virgin Megastores today and saw that same offer in the shops for £29.99 Couldn't resist myself. Sure, the quality of the photos are bad indoors but for outdoor shots it's amazing plus you can take up to 300 photos and a Bond mode which takes pics automatically over a small period of time. Imagine the possibilities, anybody else out there got their hands on one?

Comments

• Bill TannerBill Tanner "Spending the money quickly" iPosts: 261MI6 Agent
    I was thinking of buying one of these before Christmas but I too was put off by the £64.99price. Do you have the details of the Virgin Megastore offer - is it just on the shelves at £29.99?
  • totally49totally49 Posts: 2MI6 Agent
    The one I got was in the Sheffield Moore Virgin Megastores but I think it was an individual shop sale.
  • RoebuckRoebuck UKPosts: 25MI6 Agent
    I had one but it developed a serious fault within a fortnight. (Word to the wise. Avoid purchasing from 'Gadget Shop' stores. Customer service stinks and they will not issue a refund on digital cameras without first posting it back to head office for one of their technical bods to look it over. Took a week of chasing them up by e-mail before I got my money back.)

That said, the JB1 is a terrific bit of kit when it works. Camera and software are very simple to use. I had my first snap printed off within fifteen minutes of taking the camera out of the box. The 'postcard' option, where you can e-mail photos with a James Bond frame, could have been a fun idea but no imagination has gone in to it and the end result is just embarasing. Sound recording, video and time-lapse functions all worked adequately, though not spectacularly.

Gripes? Well it's horrendously expensive for a 0.5 digital camera. What you're paying for is the concealability. I passed the JB1 in it's lighter case through numerous security checks at London museums and galleries (and the most I got was an admonishment that no smoking was allowed in the gallery). Got some great shots too. ;)

Actually, that Zippo style case is my other gripe. The biggest one. :( Removing the JB1 from the lighter case does noticeable damage to the flimsy plastic body of the camera, and you can't plug in the link cable or change battery without first taking it out of the case.
    Also, the chrome look was coming off the buttons by the time I took mine back.

All in all it's a nice product let down by a few areas where they've tried to cut corners.
  • wormloverwormlover Formerly Derbyshire, UKPosts: 46MI6 Agent
    Well, mine seems to be pretty good. Shame but i got mine for £29.99 which I thought was a fair price for the novelty
  • i expect u2 diei expect u2 die LondonPosts: 583MI6 Agent
    Thought I'd show you that I found one for £34.99 here:

http://www.empiredirect.co.uk/Content/Products/Details/index.asp?modelcode=DIG-JB1&bhcp=1

Quick question, for those who own the camera - How easy is it to peel off the sticker on the front of the case? It looks annoying, i'd want to get rid of it!
  • i expect u2 diei expect u2 die LondonPosts: 583MI6 Agent
    Sorry to drag up this old thread, and to shamelessly plug something I'm selling, but if anyone is interested in buying the JB1 Camera, I'm selling it here:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=003&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&viewitem=&item=130128798086&rd=1&rd=1