Give Derren a break!

wormloverwormlover Formerly Derbyshire, UKPosts: 46MI6 Agent
I know this is whole news but remember when Derren Brown did the whole Russian Roulette thing, and the papers were saying its fake, this is the way I see it

-Blanks would of killed him at that range anyway (like Goldeneye)
-If it was a blank, it was still brilliant that he didn't pull the blank on his head
-He was so confident about it.
-No proof against it

So, what does anyone think?
Should we of given him a break?

Comments

• Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,588Chief of Staff
    I think Derren Brown is fantastic. His Russian Roulette stunt was a bit OTT though - and he has admitted that the gun had blanks in it, it would have been illegal for C4 to broadcast the show otherwise.
    YNWA 97
  • Jedi MasterJedi Master UKPosts: 1,093MI6 Agent
    but as the lover of worms said a blank would still kill at point blank range!

And thats not the only thing he's ever done, he has done so much stuff just as good as that! Its incredible, give him a break!
    Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice and everyone dies.
  • General_OurumovGeneral_Ourumov United KingdomPosts: 861MI6 Agent
    Well. I do think that he should just have told everyone that blanks were in the gun, from the start. Though I still thought it was impressive to avoid the blanks.

I enjoy watching Mr. Brown when he is on television usually.
  • wormloverwormlover Formerly Derbyshire, UKPosts: 46MI6 Agent
    I never knew he admitted they were blanks, everyones quite right with the fact he does tons of other cool stuff.

Heh lover of worms
    Quoting wormlover:
    I never knew he admitted they were blanks

He and C4 had to admit the bullets were blanks before they were investigated by the Police. Yes, at that range, blanks could still kill. The show was good, if overlong at an hour, and his other shows have been much better.
    YNWA 97
  • totally49totally49 Posts: 2MI6 Agent
    Derren Brown is a good kinda .... "weird freaky magician stunt thingy guy" - Put him in comparison with David Blaine - who's the weird freak now?
  • chris Walkenchris Walken Posts: 85MI6 Agent
    edited January 2006
    blanks would kill but im sure there was only one blank in the gun so if you do your maths you can screen it safely knowing that after so many clicks it will not be safe no more he would of counted every click and would of known how many clicks it would take to blow the blank thats why he used a revolver.
    blanks would kill but im sure there was only one blank in the gun so if you do your maths you can screen it safely knowing that after so many clicks it will not be safe no more he would of counted every click and would of known how many clicks it would take to blow the blank thats why he used a revolver.

How are you sure that only one blank was in the gun ? Did you watch the programme ? From your ridiculous comment I take it you didn't !!
    YNWA 97
    edited January 2006
    Sir Miles wrote:

How are you sure that only one blank was in the gun ? Did you watch the programme ? From your ridiculous comment I take it you didn't !!

Source : Wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derren_Brown#Russian_Roulette

On October 5, 2003, Brown performed Russian roulette live on Channel 4 (though with a slight delay in case of accidents). The stunt was performed at an undisclosed location outside Britain, supposedly because of British laws banning the possession of handguns. A volunteer, chosen from 12,000 who applied for the task, and whittled down to five by the day of the stunt, loaded a "single shot" into a revolver with six numbered chambers, then counted from one to six. Attempting to predict the location of the bullet, Brown pulled the trigger on chambers 3 and 4 with the gun aimed at his head, before appearing to decide on chamber 5 and firing the gun away from him. When that chamber proved to be empty, he paused for several minutes before aiming at his head again for chamber 6, then immediately firing the (supposedly) live round in chamber 1 away from him, striking a sandbag.
    So you didn't watch it then !

I did - twice.

Derren didn't have any idea which chamber the "live round" was loaded in - so counting the "clicks" was pointless.

If it's so easy why don't you try it ?
    YNWA 97
    edited January 2006
    Sir Miles wrote:
    So you didn't watch it then !

I did - twice.

Derren didn't have any idea which chamber the "live round" was loaded in - so counting the "clicks" was pointless.

If it's so easy why don't you try it ?

I would never even consider doing anything like that and would never encourage it,but they must of had some knowledge of which chamber the blank was in yes he proberly stated that he did not know but still I think he knew I dont think it would of looked good on television him making the mistake. with most revolvers you can actually see the bullets slighty but i think in the programme he said the gun had been made to cover the chamber gaps so he could not cheat and see the bullets.
    I would never even consider doing anything like that and would never encourage it,but they must of had some knowledge of which chamber the blank was in yes he proberly stated that he did not know but still I think he knew.with most revolvers you can actually see the bullets slighty but i think in the programme he said the gun had been made to cover the chamber gaps so he could not cheat and see the bullets.

Of course he knew which chamber the "live" round was in - it was a television stunt.
    YNWA 97
    Ok I'm really confused! Could you both make up your minds as to whether it was amazing or just a trick because you keep seeming to change back and forth! And calm down, you were getting a bit
    heated back there! Derren Brown = amazing, that's all I see :D
    Ok I'm really confused! Could you both make up your minds as to whether it was amazing or just a trick because you keep seeming to change back and forth! And calm down, you were getting a bit

It's an amazing trick.

I wasn't getting heated, just annoyed at the trick being dismissed so lightly. But to each his own.

Derren Brown is amazing - absolutely riveting to watch.
    YNWA 97
    edited January 2006
    Sir Miles wrote:

It's an amazing trick.

I wasn't getting heated, just annoyed at the trick being dismissed so lightly. But to each his own.

Derren Brown is amazing - absolutely riveting to watch.

Well thats what posting on forums is all about expressing are views without getting heated up I still found it very convincing although it was a long time when I watched it, but like all magic tricks theres always a formula sometimes easy sometimes complex if not they would never now the outcome and this is what made it more of a challenge, still it was great viewing and Derren Brown is very good at what he does I love watching him. I also watched the haunted house one where he gathered students around a table in darkness and convinced them its was haunted and they actually showed you how they did all the stunts the week after behind the scenes.
  • Lady RoseLady Rose London,UKPosts: 2,667MI6 Agent
    Did any one see 'The Heist' last Wednesday?

Derren took a group of responsible middle managers who had never been in any trouble and under the guise of a motivational seminar tried to persuade them to steal in an armed robbery.

Very clever. It is amazing what you can get people to do. It was primarily based on getting ordinary people to do extra ordinary things.

I really like Derrens shows even though they are obviously stunts just because they are on TV ie The Russian Roulette one but they are all very clever, require a lot of skill and are brilliantly executed.

The one DB stunt I didn't see which was supposed to be amazing was when he took the guy in the arcade and put him in the arcade game he was playing. That was supposed to be fantastic.
    I haven't that one either! Or, in fact, the Russian Roulette! I'll tell you what I did like though: The chess games he played simultaneously against 9 chess masters! That was brilliant! Oh and did anyone see his one off show a while ago, for which he had memorized the entire London A-Z!? Loved it!
    edited January 2006
    Oh and did anyone see his one off show a while ago, for which he had memorized the entire London A-Z!? Loved it!

Yes I watched that one where he got the london taxi driver to parciptate,it was very clever how he did that plus he picked that lady to choose a envelope one had alot of money in and the rest did not and he kept changing them around , he even told her which one it was in but she refused to have the envelope he suggested,but in actaul fact he was correct the money was in the envelope he said but she thought he was lying.
    Lady Rose wrote:
    Did any one see 'The Heist' last Wednesday?

Yes, I watched that programme. It was fascinating to watch how he "suggested" certain ideas to them and built up the "triggers" that led to three of the four commiting the robbery.
    And to watch them do that "test" where they (supposedly) gave electric shocks to people (fatal electrical shocks in some instances) was bizarre !

Lady Rose wrote:
    The one DB stunt I didn't see which was supposed to be amazing was when he took the guy in the arcade and put him in the arcade game he was playing. That was supposed to be fantastic.

Surprise ! I saw that one too ;) It was a good trick - but not one of his best, IMO. You should see him playing paper, scissors, stone :s
    YNWA 97
    Wow - I'm dragging this one from the back of beyond but......

I went to watch Derren last night at The Lowry and if you think he's good on TV then you should check him out live. Some of his stuff is incredible and, unless he has about 30 stooges a show, it's impossible to work out how he does it.

If his shows come to a town near you, then I urge you to buy a ticket and go.
    YNWA 97