Why Man With the Golden Gun is cack!

Here are my reasons that MWTGG is dire:

1. Scaramanga has a wax work model of Roger Moore in his house (Bond).

2. Hip goes to rescue Bond from the Karate School and then drives off and leaves Bond to fend for himself!

3. In the film, no one knows where Scaramanga is, what he looks like and is very mysterious and generally very hard to track down. How the hell does M have the telephone number for Scaramangas private Junk?

4. There is a massive power station that operates the electricity etc on Scaramangas island. Why does it only take one person (Kra) to operate it?

5. J W Pepper.

Please don't be offended Bond fans, I am a massive fan myself and Moore is my favourite Bond. I just thought it would be funny to highlight some of the errors in this film for a laugh! (I still like the film and bought it the other day on DVD!)

Comments

• PredatorPredator Posts: 790Chief of Staff
    :))

Nicely put.

Personally I quite like TMWTGG, but it certainly is not without faults ...

I laugh at Bond's incompetence with a fairly standard internal combustion engine (fuel James, FUEL!!)

Why bring Bond to the School? What were they trying to do?

Absolute zero is just that, absolute zero ... you can't have something rise up to absolute zero.

Why did the House of Fun need all of that scaffolding for Bond to climb down?

Why didn't Hip just pinch the Solex from Gibson?
  • shakhtyorshakhtyor Posts: 5MI6 Agent
    JW Pepper an error?

He is one of the funniest characters in the series!
  • roger moores swept 8roger moores swept 8 Posts: 8MI6 Agent
    J W Pepper is funny I admit. But for him to be in exactly the same place in world as Bond etc. is just absurd. At least when Jaws reappears on Moonraker you know it is feasible they might meet again as they move in similar circles.

And the way they meet is stupid as well. Why would J W Pepper be looking to purchase an American car (at least I think it is American) whilst on holiday in the far east? The mind boggles!

Quality stunt with the car nonetheless
  • Dr ShatterhandDr Shatterhand Posts: 31MI6 Agent
    Forgive me while I take a shot at your list.
    Quoting roger moores swept 8:
    Here are my reasons that MWTGG is dire:

1. Scaramanga has a wax work model of Roger Moore in his house (Bond).

Not too strange since we are dealing with a person who has a circus background with an obsessed goal to kill OO7.

2. Hip goes to rescue Bond from the Karate School and then drives off and leaves Bond to fend for himself!

Silly but not too over the top since he thought Bond had jumped into the car. It is possible that a person could be too focused on the idea of escaping that he forgets to check if all his passengers are insie the car.

I see this frequently with people in car pools. The driver is late and wants to get going with passengers still closing the car door. Pathetic and dangerous at the same time.

3. In the film, no one knows where Scaramanga is, what he looks like and is very mysterious and generally very hard to track down. How the hell does M have the telephone number for Scaramangas private Junk?

Most likely M tracked down the phone number as he was tracking Goodnight's homing device which was discussed earlier in the film. She could have a homer on her bikini or elsewhere on her anatomy. (Remember Thunderball's homer that Bond swallows)

4. There is a massive power station that operates the electricity etc on Scaramangas island. Why does it only take one person (Kra) to operate it?

Since it is solar energy, the facility may only need one technician. But than perhaps Scaramanga was downsizing.

5. J W Pepper.

Nuff said. Hilarious in LALD, but the idea is ridiculous to have him visiting Thailand in 1974. But than, Cubby Broccoli loved it when people laughed during his films and that is why J.W. is in TMWTGG.

Please don't be offended Bond fans, I am a massive fan myself and Moore is my favourite Bond. I just thought it would be funny to highlight some of the errors in this film for a laugh! (I still like the film and bought it the other day on DVD!)

You didn't offend me. The film was a major low point for fans like me in 1974. When you look at it with the other 20 films today - it doesn't look that bad now.
    I wasn't alive in 1974 but I would have been gutted if they released a film of this calibre now!
  • wormloverwormlover Formerly Derbyshire, UKPosts: 46MI6 Agent
    If the film was so dire, why is it catergorised as one of the most relevent films of the 70's?
  • NAOMI_FAN 1NAOMI_FAN 1 Posts: 85MI6 Agent
    Hey roger moores swept 8, is "cack" in refference
    to Alexi Sayle? ("cack, cack, bloody CACK!")
  • largo_7largo_7 PalmyraPosts: 24MI6 Agent
    Not only is JW Pepper in Asia, but he's also shopping for a new AMC car there too.
  • i expect u2 diei expect u2 die LondonPosts: 583MI6 Agent
    Pepper is NOT funny! He's a pathetic comic book "buffoon" who never fails to irritate, annoy or anger me! He's more suited to The Beano than Bond!
  • Moore Or LessMoore Or Less Posts: 3MI6 Agent
    Interesting observations, tho I think there are other, better reasons why the film is not that highly regarded. That saying there a some high points and I happen to like the film and the anncouncer on ITV regarded the film as a "classic" on one of its very first runs as part of the "Bond Season" on ITV
    The cack reference is something I usually use, no Alexi Sayle reference I'm afraid!
    Quoting Jazz X:

The reason I bring this up is that, during the summer holidays, my parents took me up to a remote village in Scotland - I met my school dinner-lady as soon as we got there. A bizarre coincidence. I was scared of saying hello unless I was totally wrong and made a fool of myself - but me and sister had a conference and decided that was indeed her (which it was!).

Although Sheriff Pepper`s inclusion in The Man With The Golden Gun is certainly "regrettable" (alongside the infamous swanee-whistle) - strange coincidences do happen. [Just last month, I found out my Landlord was once a friend of the guy I play music with every week - unbelievable].

OK, OK I agree coincidences happen! But was your dinner lady looking at purchasing a car on holiday?

Good to hear you used to live in Wimborne. I frequent there quite a bit, I like the pubs around there. The folk festival is quality as well
  • TobiasTobias Chelmsford UKPosts: 115MI6 Agent
    Pepper is NOT funny! He's a pathetic comic book "buffoon" who never fails to irritate, annoy or anger me! He's more suited to The Beano than Bond!
    and he is racist too calling people those names i wont mention the words but you will probably understand what im talking about
  • TobiasTobias Chelmsford UKPosts: 115MI6 Agent
    and he is racist too calling people those names i wont mention the words but you will probably understand what im talking about
  • Mister BiswasMister Biswas TokyoPosts: 78MI6 Agent
    Personally, I love TMWGG (or "Tim-Wig").
    It's a film that, in its wonderful absurdity, makes for great entertainment. It ranks high on my personal top ten Bond list.
    For example, I love the complete absurdity of the whole karate school set-up:

(a) When Bond goes to Hai Fat's palace at night, Nick Nack decides to attack him by dressing up as an Asian demon (?).

(b) To assist Nick Nack/Asian Demon, Nick Nack has as his help two sumo wrestlers.

(c) While Bond is out cold, he is at the complete mercy of Hai Fat (who obviously wants Bond dead). So, because Hai Fat wants Bond dead, he decides not to have Bond killed when Bond is out cold but to transport him to a nearby karate school (?).

(d) To add a sense of eeriness, the karate disciples passionlessly chant "Chula, Chula, Chula".

(e) Hip drives off, despite the fact that his nieces are (I assume) telling Hip to stop the car.

(f) Bond makes a quip about a "Mexican screwup" that seems out of place being that he is neither in Mexico nor talking to people who seem to be associated with Mexico.

(g) Bond coldheartedly pushes a boy into the river after the boy helps him escape. What makes the scene even more bizarre is that the boy is obviously impoverished, and only wants to sell his wooden elephant. (It would be interesting to see how Daniel Craig, would have played this scene. Probably would have screamed "Bloody idiot", and kicked the boy, causing him to bleed internally or something.) In general, Moore Bond is oddly mean to Asians throughout this film; recall the other scene when Bond confronts Lazar's Hong Kong family. It was probably because of all those bottles of Phu Yuck he had to drink.
    The poor boy with the elephant, incidentally, looks a lot like a young version of Kamal Khan. So, perhaps, this boy IS Kamal Khan and grew up hating humanity and wanting to become rich. So, perhaps, Bond had a hand in creating the evil Khan, who he would later face in Octopussy. And, remember what Kamal rode in that film when trying to kill Bond at the Monsoon Palace? Why, an ELEPHANT of course. It's all beginning to make sense now.

(h) J.W. Pepper, who apparantly is in Asia to buy a new car. Incidentally, during the famous corkscrew car stunt, I never could understand why JW (whose hat miraculously stays on his head) screams "YAUUU-WWWWWEEEEEEE!" AFTER the car has safely landed on the other side.

(i) It's hard to make out, but Pepper seems to be calling all the Asian people "pointy heads". It sounds like an insult/racial slur, but what makes it weird is that "pointy head" is slang for a smart person/intellectual (albeit a disparaging term). So, in fact, in trying to insult the Asian race, Pepper is unknowingly complimenting it (?).

(j) Mrs. Pepper calls out "J.W., Where AAREE YEWWW?" not realizing that J.W. is standing in the bank right in front of her.

(k) Finally, when Scaramanga shoots Hai Fat, Hai Fat leans on his desk in a pose makes it look like Hai Fat is thinking "Now, if only I can remain standing, I might fight off the effects of the bullet that has entered my body". Then, he is dead.

And, that is why Tim-Wig is one of my favorite Bond films.
    Personally, I love TMWGG (or "Tim-Wig").

I forgot to add another "T" to make it TMWTGG. Now, I suppose it should be called "Tim-Wit-Guh".
  • MailfistMailfist Posts: 242MI6 Agent
    While by no means one of the best Bonds it has a lot of good stuff. For me it works pretty well up to the time when Bond arrives on Scaramanga's island then it seems to fall apart. The main problems with TMWTGG are:

1. Christpher Lee not allowed to be menacing enough.
    2. Britt Eckland totally miscast as Mary Goodnight.
    3. Mary Goodnight badly written as a character. Instead of being a compotent secret service officer she is a blond bimbo with the IQ of a stuffed toy.
    4. Return of J W Pepper. He just about worked in Louisiana - but totally wrong in Thailland.
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,583Chief of Staff
    (f) Bond makes a quip about a "Mexican screwup" that seems out of place being that he is neither in Mexico nor talking to people who seem to be associated with Mexico.

Well, what he actually says is "Mexican screw-off", a pun on "Mexican stand-off". It's not the best joke there's ever been in a Bond film, but not the worst either!

(I watched TMWTGG the other day and enjoyed it thoroughly...)
  • apc007apc007 Posts: 8MI6 Agent
    Why would J W Pepper be looking to purchase an American car (at least I think it is American) whilst on holiday in the far east? The mind boggles!

Quality stunt with the car nonetheless

American cars in general were so dire in the 1970's I guess that if American tourists didn't buy them, nobody at all would!
  • DrMaybeDrMaybe Posts: 204MI6 Agent
    shakhtyor wrote:
    JW Pepper an error?

He is one of the funniest characters in the series!

Funny in a Burt Reynold's movie(and just barely), not funny in a Bond.

What is cack?
    Barbel wrote:

Well, what he actually says is "Mexican screw-off", a pun on "Mexican stand-off". It's not the best joke there's ever been in a Bond film, but not the worst either!

(I watched TMWTGG the other day and enjoyed it thoroughly...)

To Barbel,

Thank you! That makes more sense!
    To Barbel,

Thank you! That makes more sense!

My pleasure. Once again, great choice of name, Mister Biswas! :D (Got that house yet?)
    Haha! Thank you Barbel, the poster who can probably recite any bit of Bond dialogue from memory!! Incidentally, I have another dialogue question for you, from another movie altogether. In AVTAK, when MayDay and Zorin are sparring in the karate dojo in the French chateau, what does May Day say to him after she kicks him to the ground? I can only make out: "Go harder, and retain your balance." But that's probably not correct. The DVD I have for some reason has subtitles in Japanese but not in English, and the Japanese subtitle for that line is something like "Keep a stronger stance".

Alas, no house yet, but I shall own one even if it takes my whole life. Apparently I was born under a bad sign.
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent

(i) It's hard to make out, but Pepper seems to be calling all the Asian people "pointy heads". It sounds like an insult/racial slur, but what makes it weird is that "pointy head" is slang for a smart person/intellectual (albeit a disparaging term). So, in fact, in trying to insult the Asian race, Pepper is unknowingly complimenting it (?).

I am not a native speaker and not an expert in southern US slangs, but it sounded more like "Ponyheads" to me.

I don't know the term, it may be an insult as well ;)
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
    In AVTAK, when MayDay and Zorin are sparring in the karate dojo in the French chateau, what does May Day say to him after she kicks him to the ground? I can only make out: "Go harder, and retain your balance.".

She says "Keep your guard up and retain your balance", I think. Must take a look at that one (though I have TB to watch first; ah, the tragedy...:) ).
  • scaramangasgoldengunscaramangasgoldengun ScotlandPosts: 1,388MI6 Agent
    i think TMWTGG is a great film one of my personal favorites... purely and the main thing thatmakes me love it so much is Christopher Lee Aa Scaramanga. my absolute favorite Villian of teh series.. and his gun is truly a work of art what a gadget and artifact ,,, Maud ADAMS ALSO ,, VERY NICE IN THE FILM ALTHOUGH SHE IS MUCH MORE attractive and aluring and better as Octopussy ... still nice to see her in the film ... played a good part ... Mary goodnight fair enough a dumb bimbo .... but the world needs them too.... she was very attractive .. Brit Ekland is great ... not her fault her character was badly writen.

Nick Nack is an outstanding character... I regard TMWTGG as a great film entertaining , cool , funny , brilliant performances, a fun entertaining adventure...
    i think TMWTGG is a great film one of my personal favorites... purely and the main thing thatmakes me love it so much is Christopher Lee Aa Scaramanga. my absolute favorite Villian of teh series.. and his gun is truly a work of art what a gadget and artifact ,,, Maud ADAMS ALSO ,, VERY NICE IN THE FILM ALTHOUGH SHE IS MUCH MORE attractive and aluring and better as Octopussy ... still nice to see her in the film ... played a good part ... Mary goodnight fair enough a dumb bimbo .... but the world needs them too.... she was very attractive .. Brit Ekland is great ... not her fault her character was badly writen.

Nick Nack is an outstanding character... I regard TMWTGG as a great film entertaining , cool , funny , brilliant performances, a fun entertaining adventure...

This was very well put, scaramangasgoldengun. Especially your comment about the gun: "truly a work of art. . . what a gadget and artifact."
    When Bond and Scaramanga are together eating dinner on the island, all we get is a shot of Scaramanga putting his lighter on the table. That alone is suspenseful!!!

And I totally agree: the world needs its share of dumb bimbos too. Although it is nothing against Britt, who is not only beautiful and sexy as all hell but who can act but who has shown to be a very good actress when given the chance.
    One of my favorite scenes in the film, though, has to be when Scaramanga is recounting the tale of the elephant. For a moment, we as the audience are hooked and almost feel sorry for this man. BUt then, he delivers the chilling line "I discovered i liked killing even more" (or something to that effect, I am TERRIBLE at remembering dialogue, help BARBEL!! :))) and then we realize that he is a complete psycho.
    But, he is also a gentleman, and he is not without a code of honor.
    Barbel wrote:
    In AVTAK, when MayDay and Zorin are sparring in the karate dojo in the French chateau, what does May Day say to him after she kicks him to the ground? I can only make out: "Go harder, and retain your balance.".

She says "Keep your guard up and retain your balance", I think. Must take a look at that one (though I have TB to watch first; ah, the tragedy...:) ).

Thank you again, BARBEL. As always, you prove to know your stuff. B-)
    I hope you enjoy Thunberball! Incidentally, true story, this past summer, I went to Nassau for a vacation. Got sick one night from a bad batch of conch chowder (Domino was right about it lacking in its aphrodisiac effects)
    One of my favorite scenes in the film, though, has to be when Scaramanga is recounting the tale of the elephant. For a moment, we as the audience are hooked and almost feel sorry for this man. BUt then, he delivers the chilling line "I discovered i liked killing even more" (or something to that effect, I am TERRIBLE at remembering dialogue, help BARBEL!! :))) and then we realize that he is a complete psycho.

Close enough, Mr B. It's perhaps the highpoint of the film* for me simply because Christopher Lee is speaking almost pure Fleming here (Britt Eklund gets a line or two from the book, too, though to lesser effect) and effortlessly dominating the movie, somewhat overshadowing ol'Rog in the process- not a knock at Moore; Lee often does that to his co-stars if he gets the right material.

* Admittedly, there isn't much competition.
    Barbel, Quartermaster, here's another non TMWTGG quote question.

In YOLT, when Helga gets fed to the fishes, what is it that she screams? It's something like: "OSATO, AIM!!!!!"