George Lazenby / Peter Hunt feud

2»

Comments

• 72897289 Beau DesertPosts: 1,691MI6 Agent
    Interesting, but I used to feel the same way about the SC preformances in YOLT and DAF - that he looked bored and listless .....

But as the years pass by, and I look again at these movies, I just don't see it. Certainly SC's looks changed, his toupee's and eyebrows are styled differently, but his oo7 seems pretty consistant. Only in Dr. No does SC seem to really be trying to act the part, as he gained confidence he loosened up and his deamanor seems more self-assured and relaxed.

My assertion is that what changed was the quality of the scripts, and the directors. YOLT is a wreck of a story and the first Bond to disgrace IF's charecter. Don't get me wrong its a well made film and quite watchable, but to a Flemingist - its a train wreck and an insult.

DAF likewise, suffers from attempts to be another GF, but without the soul of a Fleming story - it fumbles around. If SC does appear bored and indifferent, its likely because the project itself was less than stellar.

OHMSS would have raised the challenge level for SC and his performance would have risen to the ocassion.

Viewed some forty years after - GL is an acceptable Bond, for me the failings in OHMSS stem from Hunt's overly technical approach as director. I have always felt Diana Rigg miscast as Tracy (She is a great actress!!!) and Telly Savalas was an awful choice as Blofeld. For me the Hunt/Lazenby feud affected OHMSS less than Hunt's uninspired direction and casting errors.
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,304MI6 Agent
    There's a similar feel to TND imo, as Spottiswoode was an editor originally. Nothing wrong exactly, just the film doesn't have room to breathe, it's so tight.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017