Last film seen...

Comments

• AlexAlex The Eastern SeaboardPosts: 2,694MI6 Agent
    Linda @ Sybil in CH prison shower!~!!
  • Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    John Drake wrote:
    John Drake wrote:

I've heard it's pretty good. It's a bit like The Adventures of Barry McKenzie meets Caged Heat.

Is none the wiser... ?:)

I'd imagine Dan Same The Movie being a cross between this

Barrymckenzie.jpg

and this

chained%20heat%20cover.jpg
    :)) So basically a cross between a crass (and outdated) comedy about a typical yobbo and a Roger Corman produced exploitation film. :v That's not exactly a film one would take the family to see. ;)
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
  • Barry NelsonBarry Nelson ChicagoPosts: 1,508MI6 Agent
    Dan Same wrote:
    Public Enemies (Possibe spoilers included)

I've seen this film a while ago, however I only had time to write a review on it recently.

I should start by saying that I am a huge fan of Michael Mann. His Heat remains among my all-time favourite films, and I have found something to like in each of his other films (some more so than others.) Thus, I went in with high expectations.

Sadly, my expectations weren't met at all as I was extremely disappointed with Public Enemies. I've been looking forward to seeing this film for quite a while, and yet I don't think this is one of Mann's (or Johnny Depp's) better efforts; in fact, I don't think it adds to their resumes at all. The plot, which whilst obviously based upon real events, is terrific and is one of the classic plots which never grows old; law enforcement agent pursues criminal who proves to be quite a challenge. The attention to detail in the art direction is precise, as is the costume design, and both look fantastic. The robberies are both exciting and revealing, while the gunfights are brillaintly brutal. Depp is great, and reminds me just what a great actor he really is.

Now the negatives, and there are alot of them. I was hugely disappointed with Marion Cotillard. Her performance in La vie en rose, which won her a much-deserved Oscar, was magnificent. In this film, however, she was IMO almost completely miscast. I say almost, as she had two wonderful scenes. But for much of the film, I thought she was bland. I could not see what Dillinger saw in her; until the very end. But by then, it was too late. It wasn't all her fault; the script didn't allow for any character development, and not once in a 2 1/2 hour film, did I see any passion between her and Dillinger. It was taken for granted, almost, and if it weren't for Depp's charismatic performance, I don't think I would have cared.

Then there was Christian Bale; yes, he was fine, but he was never better than merely fine and when he was on screen, I missed Depp. Bale also wasn't given much to work with. Unlike in Heat, I didn't really feel that an attempt was made to explain just why getting Dillinger was so important to Bale's Federal Agent. He was obsessed with him, but why, the film was unclear on. The film was also unclear on the socio-economic conditions which led to Dillinger being idolised as a hero by the ordinary person. In a film about a bank robber who was mythologized, it didn't provide the basis for the myth. So, as an example, I didn't get a sense of why people hated banks; obviously I know the answer, but without spoon-feeding the viewer, the film IMO didn't provide a context for Dillinger's being regarded as a hero.

The film also felt far too long, and while Mann is not a director known for tight running times, in the case of Public Enemies, his indulgence really let him down. The film is IMO quite, dare I say it, boring at times. Not every gangster film has to have the electricity of a Goodfellas, Bonnie and Clyde or Scarface. However, unlike the first two Godfather films, Public Enemies also lacked focus, and it didn't delve into its characters or setting nearly as much as I would have liked. A shorter and more focused film, or even just a more focused film, would have been far superior. This leads to another complaint of mine.

The film didn't seem interested in any of the characters; not Dillinger, not Purvis, not Contillard's damsel in distress and certainly not any of the minor characters. It's hard to feel for a character when one isn't interested in him, and so, with the exception of Dillinger, it didn't concern me when any of them were killed. With Dillinger, I became quite teary when he got killed, but I don't know if it was more because of Depp's performance or that, for all of its flaws, the film managed to craft an extremely sad climax. Regardless, he was the only character I really cared about.

Finally, arguably the film's biggest flaw; the use of HD video. I don't like it. I think it looks ugly, I'm not so sure whether it was JD or someone on another site who noted that he could tell that Depp was wearing makeup, and I agree with that. I really wish that it had been shot on film as the look, combined with the use of clumsy handheld camerawork, is absolutely dreadful. There aren't any memorable shots and where as the use of digital on Collateral and Miami Vice was superb, in this case, it's both inappropiate for the time period and quite horrifying to behold. :# The handheld camerawork, which I mentioned above was also incredibly confusing and very shabbily done; all inl in all, the film is IMO a visual embarassment, especially considering Mann's usual stardards. Whereas he is usually incredibly stylish; in this film, any style he had went out the window as soon as one got past the art direction and costume design (which he's not primary responsible for).

I was extremely disappointed with Public Enemies. I hope that Mann recaptures his greatness, because if his next film is as ordinary as Public Enemies, I won't be rushing out to see it. I would not recommend this film. :#

EDIT-it was not JD who mentioned being able to tell that Depp was wearing makeup, but rather Cosmo Landesman of The Sunday Times, as revealed by NP. Thanks for the clarification NP. {[]

Well Dan I have to disagree with you, although it has been some time since I saw Public Enemies, I do know I quite liked it. I went back and re-read my review and I really enjoyed Marion Cotillard performance, which I thought really created an interesting character without much screen time.. I also really liked the film visually. Rather than arguing each point I will just paste my original review below as a counter-point to your review.

As to Mr. Martini's question, which is better, Public Enemies or The Untouchables, I would say Public Enemies. The films offer two different perspectives on approximately the same era, one from the law enforcement side and one from the criminal side. I would argue that the law enforcement side with Christian Bale is better explored in Public Enemy, than the criminal side with Robert Diniro (Capone) is in The Untouchables.

Now a reposting of my original review of Public Enemies.

Public Enemies

Just back from seeing this film, and if I could, I would watch it again immediately. Enemies is a wonderful film from Michael Mann detailing the last few years of John Dillinger's life. Mann does a great job of capturing both the glamorous side of a depression era bank robber as well as the deadly, not so glamorous moments. Mann uses various camera angles and extreme close ups to capture the mood and intensity of scenes which I found to be quite effective. As Loeffs mentioned, the entire cast is effective, Depp and Bale are the protagonists and each delivers memorable performances. Two smaller parts that jumped off the screen for me were Marion Cotillard as Dillinger's faithful girlfriend and Stephen Lang as Agent Windsted, the ruthless, but smart agent brought in to match the Dillinger's gang's toughness.

Like Loeffs I am fond of this era, I like the architecture, music, cars, and fashion, all of which Mann captures on film. I thoroughly enjoyed this film and highly recommend
    edited November 2009
    Well Dan I have to disagree with you, although it has been some time since I saw Public Enemies, I do know I quite liked it. I went back and re-read my review and I really enjoyed Marion Cotillard performance, which I thought really created an interesting character without much screen time.. I also really liked the film visually.
    While I do think that Contillard was miscast, there were two scenes of hers which I loved
    the scene when she gets abused by the officer and she warns him that he won't want to meet Dillinger, and the final scene when she receives the message from Dillinger.
    If you appreciated Contillard's performance, I recommend that you see (if you haven't already) La vie en rose. She plays Edith Piaf and won an Oscar for a truly magnificent performance. :D (I'll respond to your comment about liking the film visually below.)
    I would argue that the law enforcement side with Christian Bale is better explored in Public Enemy, than the criminal side with Robert Diniro (Capone) is in The Untouchables.
    That's a really good point. :D The law enforcement side in Public Enemies, as in the gathering of evidence and the way they caught Dillinger, was terrific. I guess I was disappointed with the development of Bale's character. However I do agree with you that it was better explored than the criminal side in The Untouchables. The interesting thing about that film is that IMO De Niro was so good that, along with the baseball scene, the lack of exploration of Capone's organisation didn't seem to matter. Nonetheless, I do agree that Public Enemies betters The Untouchables in this regard. :D
    Now a reposting of my original review of Public Enemies.

Public Enemies

Just back from seeing this film, and if I could, I would watch it again immediately. Enemies is a wonderful film from Michael Mann detailing the last few years of John Dillinger's life. Mann does a great job of capturing both the glamorous side of a depression era bank robber as well as the deadly, not so glamorous moments. Mann uses various camera angles and extreme close ups to capture the mood and intensity of scenes which I found to be quite effective. As Loeffs mentioned, the entire cast is effective, Depp and Bale are the protagonists and each delivers memorable performances. Two smaller parts that jumped off the screen for me were Marion Cotillard as Dillinger's faithful girlfriend and Stephen Lang as Agent Windsted, the ruthless, but smart agent brought in to match the Dillinger's gang's toughness.

Like Loeffs I am fond of this era, I like the architecture, music, cars, and fashion, all of which Mann captures on film. I thoroughly enjoyed this film and highly recommend
    Interesting. I guess it really does come down to whether or not one appreciates the visual look of the film. It's a film which, in this regard, is certainly divisive. On the week it was released in Australia, one local film critic wrote a blog in which he attacked its cinematography and direction and spoke of 'the new age of artless cinematography', while another critic of the same paper wrote an article praising it and declaring it to be 'pure cinema.'

It appears that in the case of Public Enemies, as opposed to many other Mann films, that whether one enjoys the film relies quite heavily upon what one thinks of the visual style. I guess the reason why we have contrasting views about the film comes down to our differing views on the cinematography and direction. The performances as well, although I too loved Depp's performance. Although why does he have to make a fourth Pirates of the Caribbean film? :#

I also agree about the architecture, music, cars and fashion. They were fantastic. :D I'm delighted that you enjoyed the film Barry. While I might disagree on the merits, I am really happy that you had a great experience. {[]
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
  • John DrakeJohn Drake On assignmentPosts: 2,564MI6 Agent
    Stephen Lang as Agent Windsted, the ruthless, but smart agent brought in to match the Dillinger's gang's toughness.

Agreed Barry. Lang's performance in Public Enemies might be the best I've seen in a movie this year. And Cotillard was fine. I thought she made more of her role than most actresses could.
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,993Quartermasters
    I'm among the positive reviewers of Public Enemies as well; my review is back near Barry's ;) A very good 'period' time at the cinema for me.
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • Mr MartiniMr Martini That nice house in the sky.Posts: 2,699MI6 Agent
    Well I'm sold. Going to have to pick up Public Enemies on DVD when it comes out. Thanks all.
    Some people would complain even if you hang them with a new rope
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,305MI6 Agent
    Hunger

A film by the black artist Steve McQueen about the 1981 IRA hunger strike. I was drawn to it thanks to the film Nowhere Boy by artist Sam Taylor Wood.

The Maze prison was pretty horrible not least due to the dirty protest in which prisoners smeared excrement on the walls; McQueen makes it into a tapestry of filth (which could be the name of a heavy metal album). What period detail it shows it gets right, in particular where the screw peers up and down his suburban road then checks under his car for bombs before driving off. Suddenly you're back in the grimy day-to-day reality of Northern Ireland.

It's slow moving so maybe better in the cinema where you have to sit and watch unlike on DVD where you can pause it every five minutes when you get distracted. The prisoners, who want to be regarded as political prisoners and not wear uniforms, all seem like Georgie Best in his prime, or Jesus, or Bono and we're not told why they're doing time (er, murder probably) so it's a bit skewered but it does show how the sytem brutalises everyone involved and a shocking gun crime by the paramilitaries addresses the balance.

A double header by Bobby Sands and a visiting priest is a piece de resistance.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    The Blind Side

Sometimes when you are married, you are forced to do things you do not want to do, just to keep the peace. Well this weekend my wife wanted to see The Blind Side, she thought it would be nice to take the boys and see an inspirational film. I had no desire to see The Blind Side, it looked like a TV movie to me and I didn't think it was worth two hours of my time. There are also times when you have to admit to your wife that you are wrong and after seeing The Blind Side, I admitted I was wrong. :(

The Blind Side is a true story about an African-American teenager, Michael Oher, who is taken in by an affluent southern white family and eventually becomes the number 1 pick of the Baltimore Ravens, an American football team. Michael's father was never around and his mother had a drug addiction, Michael becomes a ward of the state and ends up through some good fortune at an upscale Christian school. A blonde Sandra Bullock plays the good hearted mother of two who notices Michael is in need of some help and offers him a place to stay for the night. Her concern for Michael grows and her care grows along with it until Bullock and her husband take legal custody for him. The route to football stardom isn't easy, but eventually Michael gets there.

Now the film isn't perfect, some of the scenes seem a little sugar coated and we get some obvious twists, like the teacher who believes in Michael and attempts to help and the teacher who doesn't and won't lift a finger to help. But, those complaints are few, as I found myself pulled into the story and growing fondness for Michael. Sandra Bullock, who is not one of my favorites, is very good as Leigh Ann Touhy, the rich southern suburbanite with a soft heart and tough disposition who takes Michael and changes his life. Her character has a lot of spunk and Bullock displays spunk well, she is very good. I also have to add I don't often like little kids in movies, but Jae Head who plays S. J. Touhy, the grade school son of the Touhy's was very good. He is precocious, but I believed his performance and I found him genuine and amusing.

The fact that this is a true story adds to the enjoyment of the film, it is an amazing story and one worth seeing.
  • PendragonPendragon ColoradoPosts: 2,640MI6 Agent
    Boondock Saints II: all Saint's Day.

SO good. need to re-watch the original. :x
    Hey! Observer! You trying to get yourself Killed?

mountainburdphotography.wordpress.com
  • CJ007GoldeneyeCJ007Goldeneye LondonPosts: 587MI6 Agent
    Terminator 4 extended edition
    Summer Hours

French ensemble piece including Juliette Binoche, whom Dan Same doesn't like as a blonde. :D It's good, it's an inheritance drama in which a family try to deal with their mum's inheritance, she was enthrall to her long deceased artist relative who has a lot of valuable stuff to offload. It goes at its own pace and it's interesting to see a drama about something that most of us will have to go through at some point, even if it is a bit banal, as opposed to watching Bruce Willis run around the Nakatomi building, which we won't get to do. It did take a while to get to its point however.

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    Summer Hours

French ensemble piece including Juliette Binoche, whom Dan Same doesn't like as a blonde. :D
    I had completely forgotten that I said that. :)) You truly have a great memory. :D However, yes, I don't like that she died her hair. ;)
    even if it is a bit banal, as opposed to watching Bruce Willis run around the Nakatomi building, which we won't get to do.
    Yes, very few things are as exciting as watching Bruce Willis do his stuff in Die Hard. {[] (Alex, you MUST see Die Hard in its entirety! :D :D :D)
  • Sir Hillary BraySir Hillary Bray College of ArmsPosts: 2,174MI6 Agent
    edited December 2009
    Babel

I'm sure there are reviews in this thread from three years ago when the film was released, but I am too lazy to look for them. Anyway, I watched this last Friday.

I guess where I come out on this one is...there's a difference between a well-made film and an enjoyable one. For me, this is no doubt the former...but the latter not so much. The linkages between the various storylines are very nicely done, and there is no doubt that Iñárritu is a wonderfully talented filmmaker. I was especially impressed by the Japanese storyline -- Rinko Kikuchi is extraordinary as Chieko, and there are some amazing sequences that are shot in ways that convey her character's deaf-muteness with enormous power.

But it's all so dire -- nihilistic almost. The message seems to be "bad stuff happens". Maybe I just wasn't in the mood.
    Hilly...you old devil!
    Sir Hillary, I agree with your view on Babel, in fact, I mentioned the film on the thread, Movies You Just Can't Watch Again. Fine film, but every storyline was completly depressing.
  • deliciousdelicious SydneyPosts: 371MI6 Agent
    Ive just been assaulted by a series of mind-f*** movies that played with my expectations.

Notes on a Scandal - the villianess wins
    There Will Be Blood - the villain wins
    No Country For Old Men - the hero dies, the villain escapes

What is going on!
    I watched Chicken Run for the 17th time. It's my niece's favorite flick and it keeps her from running around the back yard. :D

It's a cool film. Basically, it's the Great Escape. Only it's in claymation, and it's in a henhouse. Apart from that, hey...

There are several homages to the McQueen film. It's set in 1950's England. So we've got an elderly Blades type rooster retiree who fondly recalls the glory days of the RAF. A plucky hen named Ginger and her Scottish genius assistant. The protagonist is a Yank rooster called Rocky.

The hens plan their escape from cruel Mrs. Tweedy's farm. Hijinks ensue and children shriek! Yay! :D
    It could be worse, delicious... you could be hit by potted reviews of three film you haven't seen with no spoiler alert! X-(

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • LexiLexi LondonPosts: 3,000MI6 Agent
    delicious wrote:
    Ive just been assaulted by a series of mind-f*** movies that played with my expectations.

What is going on!

Depends what you mean by mind f***. I would agree, but probably in a totally different way.
    Notes on a Scandal for me was brilliant. Wasn't quite sure what to expect, but the performances by both leading ladies superb - and totally believable. Notes on a Scandal for me, makes my top 20 list.

The 'Mind the gap' analogy however was a real "epiphany" moment for me - really. That line has now taken me in a much, much happier direction, that discussion was a real wake up call - and I have changed my life dramatically because of it.
    She's worth whatever chaos she brings to the table and you know it. ~ Mark Anthony
  • JamesbondjrJamesbondjr Posts: 462MI6 Agent
    delicious wrote:

What is going on!

Thanks, I don't need to watch them now. Spoiler tags can come in handy :v
    1- On Her Majesty's Secret Service 2- Casino Royale 3- Licence To Kill 4- Goldeneye 5- From Russia With Love
    It could be worse, delicious... you could be hit by potted reviews of three film you haven't seen with no spoiler alert! X-(
    I second this. :# (Although in this case, I've seen all three films.)
    Dan Same wrote:
    (Alex, you MUST see Die Hard in its entirety! :D :D :D)
    Not until you watch my flicks.

This Is Spinal Tap (1984)
    Return Of The Living Dead (1985)
    Rock 'n' Roll High School (1979)

I expect a full report on my desk by 0:500 Australian time :D
  • TonyDPTonyDP Inside the MonolithPosts: 4,283MI6 Agent
    edited December 2009
    delicious wrote:

Notes on a Scandal -
    the villianess wins
    There Will Be Blood -
    the villain wins
    No Country For Old Men -
    the hero dies, the villain escapes

What is going on!

Thanks, I don't need to watch them now. Spoiler tags can come in handy :v

Can't speak to Notes on a Scandal, but with regard to the other two those "endings" are hardly indicative of what actually happens and one could easily argue that they aren't accurate at all. I'm all for spoiler tags and it was careless of the OP to post those blurbs, but there's a lot more going on in those movies that what was written above.

Alex wrote:
    Dan Same wrote:

Don't forget Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan; after all Dan claims to be a Trek fan. :v
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,884Chief of Staff
    Watched Boris Karloff in The Ghoul (1933), which is kind of a cross between a horror movie and a mystery farce (it was remade in the '60s as a music-hallish spoof, What a Carve-Up!, with Shirley Eaton). It's a bit creaky and the deus-ex-machina is totally preposterous, but who can argue with a cast that includes Karloff, Cedric Hardwicke, Ralph Richardson in his screen debut, and the immortal Ernest Thesiger?
    Vox clamantis in deserto
    edited December 2009
    Dead Snow

Another wacky flick recommended by one of ajb's princely purveyers of filth, either John Drake or Alex. {[]

Excellent unpretentious fun, I really enjoyed this. It's about some 20somethings who hole up in Oksford in Northern Norway for a weekend of snow fun and boozing in an old wooden shack. In doing so they awaken sleeping Nazis who have been long dead.

Nazis imo always get a bad rap in movies; they are almost always the bad guys. But zombie Nazis? F---- 'em! ;)

I suppose I could nitpick a few things, but the whole point is I didn't want to when watching this, I was happy to go along for the ride...

EDIT: But having seen a few zombie flicks, whenever I now feed the cat and have to squeeze the meat out of the Whiskers pouch, I am put in mind of zombies squeezing the guts out of a squirming, still living victim... :o

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    Hardyboy wrote:
    the immortal Ernest Thesiger
    Right on, Hardy.

There are few things in this world more awesome then Ernest Thesinger as Horace Femm in James Whale's, The Old Dark House.

"It's only gin, you know. Only gin. I like gin."

"Have a potato."

:)
    edited December 2009
    TonyDP wrote:
    Can't speak to Notes on a Scandal, but with regard to the other two those "endings" are hardly indicative of what actually happens and one could easily argue that they aren't accurate at all.
    Possibly. In the case of There Will Be Blood, I agree with you as one could argue that
    the villain does not win as he loses his son, and of course Plainview may not be regarded even as a villain or the villain,
    although I personally agree with delicious's interpretation. (incidentally, TWBB is a film which I regard as massively overrated and nowhere near the masterpiece that some critics and certain filmmakers by the initials of QT consider it to be. :v) In the case of NCFOM, I guess it comes down to
    whom one regards as the hero, if anyone, and whether or not one regards Anton as a villain.

Alex wrote:
    Dan Same wrote:

I've seen This Is Spinal Tap :D, so that's one of three. As for Return Of The Living Dead, does it matter if I've seen Night of the Living Dead amd the Evil Dead trilogy? :v :)) I haven't seen Rock 'n' Roll High School, but considering I've got the other two films covered, :v will you please see Die Hard? :D If you want a sense of how influential it is (as well how extraordinary) read my post on page 151 of this thread; post 3773.
    TonyDP wrote:
    Don't forget Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan; after all Dan claims to be a Trek fan. :
    v
    That's the film with the fat lawyer from Boston Legal right? :v :))

In all seriousness, I'll be seeing it next year.
    Dan Same wrote:
    That's the film with the fat lawyer from Bosten Legal right? :v :))

You made an enemy today.

And it's Boston, the city that is my home. So make sure you get it right.
    edited December 2009
    TonyDP wrote:
    Dan Same wrote:

You made an enemy today.
    That's revenge for your attacking the legendary Eastwood (especially in regards to Mystic River), who is one of my heroes, as well as Spider-Man, in the 'films I don't want to see again' thread. :v
    TonyDP wrote:
    And it's Boston, the city that is my home. So make sure you get it right.
    Yes, it was a silly mistake. ;% However I've just corrected it. ;)

BTW, on a more serious note, when you said that delicious's depictions of th endings of NCFOM and TWBB were not necessarily accurate, were you referring to what I said in my post just above?
    Dan Same wrote:
    TonyDP wrote:
    Dan Same wrote:

You made an enemy today.
    That's revenge for your attacking the legendary Eastwood (especially in regards to Mystic River), who is one of my heroes, as well as Spider-Man, in the 'films I don't want to see again' thread. :v

As someone who's lived in Boston for 39 years, it was embarrassingly obvious to me that the scenes in Mystic River that allegedly took place in the South End were actually filmed in East Boston. The movie was boring, pretentious and depressing. And the accents were obviously fake. Other than that, it was ok. Eastwood is a great filmmaker, but he's capable of far better than that overrated, self-indulgent tripe. Same goes for Million Dollar Baby while we're at it.

And you're right, I shouldn't have put the Spiderman movies in the 'films I don't want to see again' thread; they clearly belong in the 'films I wish I never saw' thread. :p
    BTW, on a more serious note, when you said that delicious's depictions of th endings of NCFOM and TWBB were not necessarily accurate, were you referring to what I said in my post just above?

No, I was actually trying to assuage any misgivings jamesbondjr might have had about watching the movies in light of the 'spoilers' that were posted.