Last film seen...

Comments

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    edited May 2018
    The Pink Panther :)) a classic. ( The Original ) did notice they used
    the line " I have friends in low places " and the Tchaikovsky love theme
    from Romeo and Juliet. Both also in Moonraker ?
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,385Chief of Staff
    I must admit I've never noticed that connection.

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society

Not normally my kind of movie, I ended up enjoying this. Beautifully shot, well-acted. Matthew Goode is in it, for a rather weak Bond link.
    :)) Yes, I'll soon be listening to him reading Forever and a day. As one of
    The versions I've pre -ordered is the audio book.
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    My best pal swears by audio books, which he listens to in his car. Since I prefer to listen to music while driving, I've never followed his example. I do enjoy radio plays, as discussed before, though.
  • caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,950MI6 Agent
    Under the Skin
    weirdness with Scarlett Johansson, in which she plays a different sort of Black Widow.
  • Dirty PunkerDirty Punker ...Your Eyes Only, darling."Posts: 2,587MI6 Agent
    Under the Skin
    weirdness with Scarlett Johansson, in which she plays a different sort of Black Widow.
    Title reminded me of Ghost in the Shell but the plot synopsis played more like Wicked City.
    How bad is a 6.3 IMDb film?
    And did it deserve such a high score on Tomatoes?
    a reasonable rate of return
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,815MI6 Agent
    Under the Skin

Did you like the movie?
  • welshguy34welshguy34 Posts: 219MI6 Agent
    Gymkata wrote:
    TOMB RAIDER: THE CRADLE OF LIFE (2003).

Don't.

Agree. Terrible film, and don't get me started on that bit with the shark.
  • caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,950MI6 Agent
    edited May 2018
    Under the Skin
    Title reminded me of Ghost in the Shell but the plot synopsis played more like Wicked City.
    How bad is a 6.3 IMDb film?
    And did it deserve such a high score on Tomatoes?
    Number24 wrote:
    Did you like the movie?
    don't know if I can do a proper review, fellers. My brain doesn't really do the whole subjective value judgement thing at the best of times, and this film is more of an experience, it just is.

It may help to know I saw it referenced as a comparison while watching the new Twin Peaks. There are quite a few Lynchian touches.

The film starts of almost completely abstract, with very little dialog throughout.
    After about five minutes of abstraction Scarlett finally appears and begins driving a van round the Scottish countryside, picking up strange men. Then things get a bit surreal.

(EDIT: I decided to edit out most of what I'd revealed about the film's plot, even if the scene I'd spoiled happens near the beginning. A viewer deserves to experience that for themselves, without some pretentious git like me telling them what to think. Since N24 and Punker were curious, I trust they got a chance to read my stupid spoilers and can decide for themselves whether it looks like the sort of thing they like.)

and yes I enjoyed watching it. Nice photography of rural Scotland, good performance from Scarlett as a pseudohuman, whose "character" evolves throughout the story. Haunting minimalist music.
    File under trippy.
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,293MI6 Agent
    On a different note, Eddie the Eagle.

Not bad actually, though I wouldn't go so far as to give it five stars like the Radio Times did. It's about the UK ski jumper of the late 80s who got to the Olympics by dint of being the only UK ski jumper more or less. Taron Egerton of Kingsman fame is the titular hero, and does a good job of it - he's a decent actor! Hugh Jackman is the star power, with (grudgingly) Bond star Christopher Walken contributing barely a cameo - I say 'grudgingly' cos Walken is pretty much in anything, so don't see him as Max Zorin.

Vic Armstrong is in the credits, good to see his name pop up, though I didn't rate his latter-day Bond work that much.

The director is Dexter Fletcher and it's nice and unobtrusive. A GoldenEye pts moment as the camera pans up the ski run showing just how tall it is.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    I haven't seen the movie, but I've heard it's not the Arabs or the Russians who are the villans in "Eddie the Eagle". Instead it's a nice Scandinavian people, inocent as the driven snow :))
    Yeah, I did get that impression, that it wasn't too accurate. The main concern, if you can call it that, was how the UK Olympic committee were portrayed as pompous deceitful scumbags which may well be true, but if it weren't, I might have thought they could sue. They are just as much the 'villains' as the Scandis who are simply a bit patronising although really everyone is more or less set against our speccy hero initially, even the Hugh Jackman character.

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    The Hitman's Bodyguard
    it's like Planes Trains and Automobiles ... but with guns!
    Ryan Reynolds plays the Steve Martin character, Samuel L. Jackson plays the John Candy character. There's even a scene where Jackson sings along with a busload of adoring strangers, while Reynolds stews in silence.
    Third quarter of the film is a high concept chase through my favourite city in the world, Amsterdam.
    See, Broccolis, this is what can be achieved when you actually do proper location work for your major action setpieces.
    Avengers: Infinity War. -{ great fun, some great banter
    Between characters.
    Red Sparrow :
    This is an odd one for me. I was bored through most of it. It takes ages to get going and
    for all those who love realistic espionage work. Well real life spy stuff is as boring as F**K.
    The ending is good as through flashback like "Hustle" or "Oceans eleven" we see reasons
    for the outcome of some of the story, Personally I wouldn't watch it again, and I wouldn't
    recommend it.
    Thor as recommended.

With some of these films I do find myself pressing Pause about 10 mins in as I have to collect my thoughts or daydream a bit. There's often a lot of exposition to allow the viewer to get their bearings and it gets pretty dull.

Thor follows the same idea about superior alien cultures as Superman: The Movie, namely that they're piss dull. I mean, imagine having to live on Krypton, seriously. Every item of clothing you wear would have to go with pink. The whole place resembles a shopping mall with the shops boarded up. I wonder if the place didn't fall foul of an insurance job.

Same with Thor's planet. Thankfully, the film gets better when he hits Earth and it becomes a fish out of water film with a fair bit of comedy (they don't have jokes on alien planets). It's a Kenneth Branagh film though I don't see much of that except he bags Anthony Hopkins in a Shakespearian role, and maybe Natalie Portman too. Stellan Skarsgård adds credibility to the thing.

I got it was Idris Elba due to the voice but that's an odd role for him to be doing isn't it? I mean, he is good but you could argue it could almost be anyone.

I enjoyed the film more as it went on, but I'm not sure Chris Hemsworth is as good looking with the beard as he normally is and was in Rush. Great physique but then again, as Thor shouldn't he be a muscle man or something? The film feels a bit cut price, nothing wrong with it, just you can see why it could only be made as part of a bigger stable, you can almost imagine Disney doing it in the late 70s early 80s as a kind of gimmicky kids flick. Again, you ware waiting for the pieces of the jigsaw to come together.

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    Stellan Skarsgård adds credibility to the thing.

I didn't know The Fantastic Four were involved in this one.
    That went over my head, they're not, but he's in it, he plays the scientist or astronomer boss of Natalie Portman.

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • VesperMelogranoVesperMelograno The SouthPosts: 901MI6 Agent
    Red Sparrow :
    This is an odd one for me. I was bored through most of it. It takes ages to get going and
    for all those who love realistic espionage work. Well real life spy stuff is as boring as F**K.
    The ending is good as through flashback like "Hustle" or "Oceans eleven" we see reasons
    for the outcome of some of the story, Personally I wouldn't watch it again, and I wouldn't
    recommend it.
    J-Law has the emotional range of Bran Flakes.
    I've always wanted to have Christmas in Turkey
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,882Chief of Staff
    J-Law has the emotional range of Bran Flakes.

You do know, of course, that bran is very moving?
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • VesperMelogranoVesperMelograno The SouthPosts: 901MI6 Agent
    :)) :)) :))
    I've always wanted to have Christmas in Turkey
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,882Chief of Staff
    Just got back from Deadpool 2. If you liked the first film, you'll like this one; if you love James Bond films--and I know you do--you will love the title sequence. Otherwise, this movie may be even funnier than the first. . .the parachuting sequence alone can and should go down as a comedy classic. But I'll say no more--see it for yourself!
    Vox clamantis in deserto
    {[] I'm really looking forward to Deadpool 2
    I just saw Deadpool 2 and I agree with what Hardyboy wrote. If you only watch one movie this year where "Take on me" by A-ha plays key role, go see Deadpool 2 :D
    https://youtu.be/DopL6LdM-zg
    One for Higgins, new Magnum movie.
  • always shakenalways shaken LondonPosts: 6,287MI6 Agent
    Watched The Equaliser last night starring the brilliant Denzil Washington . Now the end closing credits music , is by Moby called new dawn fades , now I know this because before I bought the BMW X 3 , I was looking at the BMW 6 coupe ( not new obviously) and the music for that advert is the same , it also pops up in the De Niro/Pachino film called the Heat . Pachino is following De Niro down the freeway and strobes him down ,so he can have a chat to this ruthless robber he is pursuing . ( I went for the X3 in the end )
    By the way, did I tell you, I was "Mad"?
    X3 or XXX as in TSWLM ? ;)
  • Dirty PunkerDirty Punker ...Your Eyes Only, darling."Posts: 2,587MI6 Agent
    X3 or XXX as in TSWLM ? ;)
    BMW's design could be XXX in the 80s and 90s but the X3 doesn't qualify on that score.

It was originally a Joy Division song that Moby reworked into that version.
    Too bad the vocals suck.
    a reasonable rate of return
  • DrydenDryden UKPosts: 131MI6 Agent
    Red Sparrow :
    recommend it.

Slight drift but if you haven't read the book don't let the film put you off - genuinely one of the best espionage thrillers I've ever read.
  • DrydenDryden UKPosts: 131MI6 Agent
    The Dambusters as part of the 75th anniversary of the raid including a live stream of the pre-show from the Albert Hall.

Interesting bit of history at the start followed by one of my favourite films made even better by being on a huge screen.