Last film seen...

Comments

• Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,239MI6 Agent

Hi @ChrisNo1 - yes Robert Redford is in Winter Soldier, also Jenny Agutter of all people.

"This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,704MI6 Agent

I just watched "A shock to the system" after seeing it recommend here. Thanks! I really enjoyed it. What kind of movie is this? Crime? Character study? Satire? Whatever it is, "A shock to the system" is smart, well acted and entertaining.

• chrisno1chrisno1 LondonPosts: 3,178MI6 Agent

How come I've never heard of A Shock to the System ? When was it made?

It was strange to see the Countess of Grantham in that role. 😂

She Said about the exposure of Harvey Weinstein - I mean journalistic, ahem!

I think it was @caractacus potts who said he'd read Ronan Farrow's book Catch and Kill about his investigation into Weinstein on my recommendation, so here's a bizarre press clipping that will resonate. Avoid however if you haven't read Catch and Kill and intend to do so, due to spoilers.

I wasn't sure how She Said crossed into the same territory despite it being the same subject matter; it seems to be two women journalists for the New York Post while Ronan Farrow worked for NBC as a TV investigate journalist. Thing is, I felt Farrow's account was thrilling, while this isn't. I feel his account would have worked better, the problem being that he's a 'white saviour' or rather 'male saviour' type, a bit like Attenborough's Cry Freedom being criticised because if focussed on the heroics of the white man rather than the black guy Steve Biko who was central. You'd prefer to see two women bring Weinstein down.

I found the movie dramatically inert and poorly directed, the script very drear. It consists of the two journalists trying to get abused women to talk, either they say they won't go on the record or they hang up immediately. Usually this is a staple in such movies and one gets angry or put out on the reporter's behalf, here it just seems repetitive and you don't hate the characters as they're clearly traumatised and have been shut down by the Weinstein machine. Those protecting Weinstein ought to appear crafty and nasty - another staple of such tales - but here they don't really. It's all rather emotionally uninvolving despite one wanting to sympathise.

Weinstein is not shown except from behind - this is pleasing editorially though I doubt it pleased the actor or his agent. Thing is, films do require a villain. This is all a bit PC, I hate saying this but it has woman director, writer and so on but you want it to punch out a bit more, we see their husbands holding the baby and having nothing else to say at all, not even any comedy moments to speak of.

Actress Rose McGowan has a key role in this but is hardly mentioned at all while in Farrow's book there is a real WTF moment about her, it's brilliant. Gwyneth Paltrow's name comes up but it isn't followed through much. Some actresses who were abused play themselves - Ashley Judd I think, but others like Samantha Morton and Jennifer Ehle play others. This ought to be okay I guess but it is a bit confusing.

Mention is made of how they can expect their phones to be bugged but no evidence is provided for this, despite it almost certainly being true. Farrow's account dealt with this, and the astonishing reveal that Weinstein had recruited the Israeli intelligence services - Black Cube - to dig up dirt on Farrow and the story doesn't end there. In She Said, one journalist is bumped into in a crowded street and you think - a-ha! a bug has been planted on them, or a tracker device - but no, seems it was just a bump in the street and nothing doing.

Ominous music is made to do a lot of heavy lifting to convey tension and drama. I found myself thinking, all this would be okay as a documentary but otherwise, there is nothing cinematic about any of this.

As few people were in the cinema for the matinee it was ruddy cold too, I mean the homeless used to go in the cinema to keep warm during the winter, they wouldn't with this place especially with matinee showings at £15.50.

At these prices I don't think the local Odeon is doing what it can to win custom, the whole cinema experience has no real allure to it, nothing special to draw you in.

Roger Moore 1927-2017

@Gymkata Yes. This is a very fine film and touches on aspects of post-war acclimatisation which still hold true today.

Roger Moore 1927-2017

I agree. "The best years of our lives" is a great movie.

• CoolHandBondCoolHandBond Mactan IslandPosts: 6,033MI6 Agent

It’s been a long while since I’ve seen this but it’s a terrific film with great performances. And Hoagy Carmichael appears, looking older than Ian Fleming’s visionary version of James Bond.

Whats intriguing me is what other classics do you need to cross off your list @Gymkata ?

Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.
    edited December 2022

DUEL (1971)

Its hard to believe that this is over 50 year’s old. Originally produced as a made-for-tv film it gained a cinematic release in Europe. Steven Spielberg had directed some television episodes including a Columbo and a segment of the Night Gallery TV movie before landing this thrilling chase movie. Dennis Weaver plays a salesman driving to meet a client who gets embroiled in a terrifying cat and mouse chase with a truck. Displaying a directorial maturity far behind his 25 years of age Spielberg ramps up the tension in Hitchcock style as Weaver becomes more and more desperate in his attempt to avoid death.

A special mention must be made to Richard Matheson who adapted his own short story for this outing. Matheson was a brilliant writer of novels (I Am Legend, The Incredible Shrinking Man) and screenplays (The Devil Rides Out, The Omega Man, Somewhere In Time) and a myriad of television episodes including The Twilight Zone. A special talent.

8/10

I can thoroughly recommend The Ox Bow Incident it’s as taut a movie as you will ever see.

"The birdman of Alcatraz" and "The ox-bow incident" are great! I see several movies on your list that I should watch myself.

• caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,907MI6 Agent

Gymkata said:

I'm trying to watch all of the Best Picture winners that I haven't seen before as well as a bunch of other notable films that are highly regarded. Ones that come to mind include....

from your list, the ones I've seen are

MILDRED PIERCE

ALL ABOUT EVE

CABARET

DOG DAY AFTERNOON

all of these are worth seeing even if they did win the Oscar.

Mildred Pierce is a James Cain adaptation and should maybe be watched as part of a triple feature with the Postman Always Rings Twice and Double Indemnity

It's a shame you're in the USA, @Gymkata - tonight the UK's Talking Pictures TV is showing Confessions of a Pop Star - that should be on your list, too!

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    edited December 2022

Throne of blood (1957)

I've never before seen this Akira Kurosawa's classic samurai movie, but tonight I finally did. The story is based on Shakespeare's Macbeth. Sometimes the lines are pretty much identical while other times we can get only one "Wyrd Sister". Obviously the story has been moved from Scotland to Japan. At first glance the countries may seem similar, but if you look closer there are som subtle differences. 😉

The acting style is different from what we usually see in movies. The reason is the director's interest in Noh theatre. I don't know a lot about Noh culture, but we all know what a Noh mask looks like after Safin modeled one to great effect in NTTD. In spite of the unfamiliar acting style I liked the acting. I also enjoyed the battle scenes. My friend who I saw it with liked "Throne of blood" too, but he missed colour. Now the plan is to watch Ran next.

Following the Second World War theme set down by The Best Years of Our Lives, I decided to watch the D-day adventure Overlord.

It is about a group of American paratroopers whose mission is to take out a German radio signal on top of a French church ahead of the invasion. The opening flight scene amidst anemy flak is pretty good actually, quite gruelling.

Not sure how historically accurate it is, in particular when they stumble across a Nazi laboratory in the base of the church where they are experimenting on locals. Actually, I'm talking in jest because this is a Nazi zombie movie but the joke falls flat because of course the Nazis did experiment on people. That you have a zombie film based around real-life events such as D-day is tonally a bit iffy but there you go.

There are inconsistencies and the Bond in Spectre thing where someone is physically put through it in a lab but in the next scene is a-okay. The soldier says that three weeks ago he was mowing the lawn back home and now he's in all this - not sure how long they think their basic training was! Or was he on leave? Anyway, weren't they flying over from Britain, having been stationed there for the last couple of years or so?

I enjoyed it, it's good to watch something out there at times. Good acting but it's a quality B-movie for all that. nobody famous in it. Not quite sure how it makes its money back. Someone on this thread did recommend this a while back after I raved about Nazi zombie flick Dead Snow which I'd like to see again!

Funny how when Captain America is made into an eternal superhero it's okay but when the Nazis try to do it... double standards!

Roger Moore 1927-2017

I'm trying to watch all of the Best Picture winners that I haven't seen before as well as a bunch of other notable films that are highly regarded.

@Gymkata

I remember you mentioning this before. I attempted a similar feat many years ago. I don't think I finished. You have some interesting movies to see:

THE BROADWAY MELODY - old fashioned extremely dated musical

CIMARRON - impressive epic sweep, looks good but the acting is a bit ropey

GRAND HOTEL - very good ensemble cast with a good screenplay

THE LIFE OF EMILE ZOLA - of its time; worthy; good performances

YOU CAN'T TAKE IT WITH YOU - hated it; not funny at all

MRS. MINIVER - never got around to this

THE PRIDE OF THE YANKEES - ditto

THE OX-BOW INCIDENT - ditto

GOING MY WAY - one of the worst best pic winners ever; stereotypes all around

MILDRED PIERCE - never seen it

GENTLEMAN'S AGREEMENT - see my comment for Going My Way

ALL ABOUT EVE - superb satirical drama

DR. ZHIVAGO - beautiful film, well condensed version of a huge book, Julie Christie is simply gorgeous - it's a no-brainer

ELMER GANTRY - intense

BIRDMAN OF ALCATRAZ - Telly Savalas out acts Burt Lancaster

CABARET - one of the best adaptations of a stage show ever put on screen; Liza Minelli is mesmerizing; Maybe This Time is one of the most poignant and powerful musical statements ever put on screen; the undercurrent of Nazism is ever present and malevolent among the jollity and the doomed romances; you must watch this

DOG DAY AFTERNOON - Pacino and Cazale are superb in this film; one of the best films of the seventies; subversive, gripping and emotionally wrenching. I hope you enjoy this. It was never going to win the Oscar, it's not their sort of film, but it is brilliant.

• caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,907MI6 Agent

speaking of Cabaret,

without Googling, who can name the actress who played Sally Bowles in the 1968 London stage production of Cabaret?

hint: she's one of ours

THE BODYGUARD (1992)

A tasteless hash up of thriller and pop video tailored specifically for a youthful market. A dull private security guard is hired to watch over an egotistical superstar actress and singer. Cue misunderstanding and loathing. Of course, the two fall in love and he saves her life. Cue songs of excruciating vocal force but no nuance of phrasing. A bit like the acting. Kevin Costner was at the top of his career tree at the time and could virtually do no wrong. Ditto singer Whitney Houston. Very wooden, even the thrills seem to creak like weary floorboards. Sparkling in look and diverting after a fashion. Lawrence Kasden has written much better than this and once you learn it was originally envisaged as a vehicle for Steve McQueen and Diana Ross you begin to see its origins and pitfalls in measure. The soundtrack sold millions.

Will you be checking out the Whitney bio movie in cinemas this Christmas then?

Roger Moore 1927-2017

HELLO DOLLY! (1969)

One of Broadway’s most popular and oft-revived musicals, Hello Dolly! Is an advert for an older star and as such Barbara Streisand was too young to fill the role of Dolly Levi, the know-it-all Jewish widow created by Thornton Wilder for his short story The Matchmaker. It isn’t that she’s bad in the role. No; La Streisand is efficient and likeable, it is simply that Jerry Herman’s lyrics don’t suit her. She’s too elegant, fresh and young to play an aging, meddling matriarch. The songs have a resonance of age in the lyrics and as good as La Streisand is at delivering them you simply don’t believe her version of Dolly has been married, been the talk of the town, widowed and carved out a career as a romantic liaison officer for rich and poor alike. When the staff at the Harmonia Gardens welcome her back after ‘all these years’ you sense La Streisand hasn’t been absent at all. The producers went for the hottest property in movie musicals of the time and after her Funny Girl Oscar the previous year, La Streisand was it. That doesn’t mean she was suitable. Mary Martin [Larry Hagman’s mother] who bagged the role in a 1965 West End run would have been perfect and it would have been a great record of a great stage actress in full swing. Carol Channing was Broadway’s original, but after the debacle of Thoroughly Modern Millie, she had probably burnt her boats in Hollywood, although she continued to play Dolly Levi on stage for decades.

The other casting is well-off the mark too. Walter Matthau is suitably grumpy as Dolly’s unresponsive amor Horace Vandergelder, but he can’t sing. Britain’s Michael Crawford is too light an entertainer to carry the romantic moments which his character inhabits. Much better is Marianne McAndrew who plays the second love interest, Irene Molloy, a role significantly expanded from the stage show. Unfortunately her singing voice is dubbed. Louis Armstrong pops up to join in the title song, a track he made famous with a number one single and album in 1964. The rest of the performers are an uninteresting bunch, corralled by an uninterested Gene Kelly, who directs with his choreographer’s head switched off. The whole thing is flat and remarkably dull, staged on grand unidentifiable sets which must have cost a fortune yet add nothing. Even the dance numbers seem inanimate. Kelly was perhaps trying to make up for lost opportunities: he’d turned down Ernest Lehman’s request to direct The Sound of Music. Unfortunately the producer, director or choreographer [Michael Kidd] hasn’t got a decent hold on the material and it turns into a bloated spectacle with no emotive heart.

While Hello Dolly is the showstopping number, the best song is given to Crawford’s Cornelius Hackl – similar to On the Street Where You Live being farmed out to Freddie Freemont in My Fair Lady. However, Crawford can’t handle the theme and It Only Takes A Moment falls flat. It does of course sum up Dolly Levi’s personal ethos as she waits for an idealistic heaven sent signal and Horace in turn makes an instant and completely contrary proposal. I was reminded of those Shakespearian comedies where a happy ending for all has to be contrived however daft the notion.

The movie was a hit, but was almost as expensive as Cleopatra and hence didn’t turn a profit. You can't even see the spend on the screen for this one. Like many latter-day movie musicals it stutters, uncertain of its ability to entertain when the kids could get their kicks at gigs by likes of Janis Joplin, CSN and the Grateful Dead. It was one of the last authentic Broadway adaptations made in Hollywood. Fiddler on the Roof and Cabaret were still to come, but this genre was a dying breed and you can sense it in the lack of inspired casting and playing, as if the performers already know they are taking part in a homage to something great not creating something great on their own.  

Blimey! That's a good review. Never quite seen the film, it never draws me in. Like a lot of those musicals it seems heavy going before it starts; Sound of Music and Mary Poppins were long too of course but were largely light on their feet and had charm a plenty. Matthau seems to have Connery's DAF toupee in this.

Roger Moore 1927-2017

CARRY ON DOCTOR (1967)

If you are not familiar with the Carry On franchise, you have a lot of catching up to do. This much loved British film comedy series spanned the swinging sixties and was still churning them out in the permissive and seventies. Thirty films encompassed the first twenty year run, from 1958 – 1978, and a final effort [Carry On Columbus] arrived in 1992. While that was not well received, it is fair to say by the time that entry hit the cinemas the Carry On films were critic proof and the quality, good or otherwise, is fairly immaterial.

Carry On Doctor was a big hit on its release in early 1968 and its blend of naughty inuendo and cheeky social comment is obvious from the off, a series of subtitles referencing the nation’s black humoured suspicion of hospitals and health services. The patients and staff are more concerned with seduction or avoiding it. Sid James and Frankie Howerd’s hen pecked husbands reside in wards beside amorous singletons like Bernard Bresslaw and Dilys Laye; nobody seems to be sick, unless you count those a bit sick in the head, such as Charles Hawtrey’s hilarious father-to-be with a sympathetic pregnancy, Kenneth Williams’ health fanatic Chief Surgeon or Hattie Jacques' obsessive, scheming Matron. Jim Dale is the accident prone Dr Kilmore who romances Anita Harris’ pleasant Nurse Clark and gets mixed up in Barbara Windsor’s silly games. Ms Windsor seems to inhabit a totally different film to everyone else, skewing the gentle fun and games towards ridiculously caricatured smut.

The earliest Carry On movies were contemporary fare written by Norman Huddis. They used guest stars like Bob Monkhouse, Ted Ray and Wilfred Hyde Whyte to boost the cast and draw attention to the whimsical plots. After Sid James’ revelatory turn in Carry On Constable, the formula became more see-through, the jokes more risqué and the cast of regulars barely changed. After seven modern day enterprises, Talbot Rothwell was hired as script writer and in 1963 the franchise embarked on a run of well received genre pieces, which are probably the apex of its achievements. Carry On Doctor is still a welcome return to the modern day. The film’s original title was Carry On Again Nurse and while it is an obvious remake of the earlier instalment Carry On Nurse – Frankie Howerd even remarks “Oh no you don’t, I’ve seen that film” when presented with a daffodil – it comes across as a well-meaning and satisfying romp. Surprisingly, unlike some films in the series, it mostly hasn’t irretrievably dated.

Not the best of the franchise, but entertaining without being hard work. 

Shadow of a Doubt

Hitchcock, 1943

I've watched this one three or four times before, but I only just noticed Blue Velvet surely owes a debt to this film.

There's the setting of the too-good-to-be-true small town Americana; the protagonist on the cusp of adulthood naively solving a mystery and losing her innocence; the foul cynical villain corrupting the protagonist with horrific nihilist speeches, every word tearing through the fabric of hokey small town values. There's even a scene at a bar where he gives such his most hateful speech of all.

The reason I started noticing these comparisons this time is because that Thornton Wilder small town has always bugged me, I never bought it. Hitchcock is usually cynical from the very first scene, this idealised setting is unusual for him. I always thought such cornball setting was pure propaganda, only ever existing in films, never in reality. Now I think that's the point.

• Lady RoseLady Rose London,UKPosts: 2,667MI6 Agent

Last Seen Alive.

The last couple of Gerard Butler films I've watched have been very disappointing and this one was no different. It must have been done on a budget of about £100 and Butler has obviously thought he's had enough of that running around and action malarkey.

Come on Gerard, you can do better than this!!

edited December 2022

Enjoyed the Carry On Doctor review - filmed shortly after another good one, Carry On... Follow That Camel which was around the time of the Beatles' Sgt Pepper. But I always thought the daffodil reference was to the maudlin comedy drama Twice Round The Daffodils which I think starred Shirley Eaton, the idea that seriously sick patients (maybe they had TB) had to make their daily walk round the park or something to be on their way to recuperation.

I enjoyed the comedy superhero film Shazam! on telly, hard to place this in the Marvel or DC Comics universe though there's a jokey reference to Superman. It's not as far out and irreverent as Deadpool, kids can see it. It shamelessly riffs on the Harry Potter themes - in this, the powers come not by screwed-up scientific experiment or the power of the universe or a tidy inheritance, though childhood trauma gets a look in - it's more mythical alternate universes and stuff. Shazam also takes the Tom Hanks film Big as inspiration - there's a five-second nod to the film you may pick up on - plus all those mythical comedy yarns - growing up in the 70s we had Big John Little John as a series, you've also got that film with Judge Reinhold (Vice Versa was it?), y'know kid occupies adult body and so on, hijinks ensue.

As with many a coming of age film, a problem may be what you do with it after that, the gags are based around a kid finding his new powers and his playing around with them, trying to discover what he can and can't do as a superhero. The public accept it and take selfies with him, seeing it as just another form of celebrity, it's not the kind of film were the FBI try to find out about him or in fact take any interest at all really.

There's a kind of Jewish humour going on here which makes it different. The way it plays out in the end is highly unusual and it skirts or rather totally avoids the issue of whether a kid really wants to be a superhero - a non-returnable situation usually with plenty of downside if you think about it. Rather like adulthood, you might say. One problem with the film is the kid star will grow up quickly and so will his foster family, so it's not clear how that will translate, I mean the second movie should be out now but I'm not sure this one did great business.

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    edited December 2022

Shazam! is DC. I thought Superman made a cameo in the cafeteria at the end?

originally known as Captain Marvel, and published by rival Fawcett Comics (first appearance Whiz Comics 2, Feb 1940), Captain Marvel was the most popular superhero comic throughout the 1940s. DC sued for copywrite infringement (because Captain Marvel wore a cape and was bulletproof and could fly) and Fawcett eventually gave up on the comic book business in the early 50s when sales no longer were enough to cover legal bills.

Twenty years later DC licensed the rights to the character from Fawcett (who were now a paperback publisher) and started putting out new and reprinted adventures under the title Shazam! These early 70s Shazam! comics are great for the reprints, especially the 100 page issues, the new stories are pretty lame.

DC couldn't use the name Captain Marvel though, at least not as the title, because Marvel Comics in the meantime had introduced their own character with the same name and secured the trademark. (I know the character in Marvel's film doesn't look like this, but that's even a longer less interesting story)

It was a big irony that Marvel put out their own Captain Marvel film the exact same time as DC put out the Shazam! film. These behind the scenes legal issues are why the character has no actual superhero name in the film. Too bad because Shazam! was the better film.

Enjoyed the Carry On Doctor review - filmed shortly after another good one, Carry On... Follow That Camel which was around the time of the Beatles' Sgt Pepper. But I always thought the daffodil reference was to the maudlin comedy drama Twice Round The Daffodils which I think starred Shirley Eaton, the idea that seriously sick patients (maybe they had TB) had to make their daily walk round the park or something to be on their way to recuperation.

@Napoleon Plural as I'm sure you know, it's referencing the final scene of Carry On Nurse where Wilfred Hyde Whyte's obnoxious patient believes he is having his temperature taken rectally, but is actually skewered by a daffodil. And yes, Follow that Camel is another belter! Thanks for the compliments. I try.

@Napoleon Plural , @chrisno1

The daffodil scene was in Carry On Nurse. Twice Round The Daffodils was made 3 years later, based on the same play by Patrick Cargill and Jack Beale, which is where I think your memory has mixed up the two films @Napoleon Plural Producer Peter Rogers used the same technical crew as the Carry On series for this, presumably to get his moneys worth from the fee he paid for the stage play rights. Juliet Mills played the sexy nurse. Jill Ireland and Joan Sims were in both films, Shirley Eaton was in Nurse.

Don’t Lose Your Head and Follow That Camel were originally released without the Carry On prefix as producer Peter Rogers had transferred to the Rank Organisation for finance from Anglo-Amalgamated and they had refused permission to use the Carry On title. When both films had reduced takings from the earlier Carry On’s, Rogers did a deal with Anglo to use the Carry On title and both films were re-released with the Carry On… prefix to greater success and the continuation of the franchise.

Carry On Doctor is one of my favourites of the series, I’m a fan of Frankie Howerd so that’s a big plus for me.

• ichaiceichaice LondonPosts: 593MI6 Agent

I saw Glass Onion the other night. I found it pretty average to be honest.

Yes. Considerably!