Last Book You Have Read

Comments

• HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,884Chief of Staff
    Quoting one night stand:
    I was reading The Great Gatsby a little earlier this month and I got nothing out of it. The plot seemed weak and it was a waste of my time.

:o :o :o

I can't believe I just read these words! Man, Gatsby is one of the greatest novels ever written--I've read it about three times, and each time I find more in it. Please come back to it some day, ONS. . .you may change your mind.
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • JarvioJarvio EnglandPosts: 4,236MI6 Agent
    Last book I read was "A Child Called 'It'", by David Pelzer. Not bad. By reading this book, you can find out how horrible some child abuse cases were.
    1 - LALD, 2 - AVTAK, 3 - LTK, 4 - OP, 5 - NTTD, 6 - FYEO, 7 - SF, 8 - DN, 9 - DAF, 10 - TSWLM, 11 - OHMSS, 12 - TMWTGG, 13 - GE, 14 - MR, 15 - TLD, 16 - YOLT, 17 - GF, 18 - DAD, 19 - TWINE, 20 - SP, 21 - TND, 22 - FRWL, 23 - TB, 24 - CR, 25 - QOS

1 - Moore, 2 - Dalton, 3 - Craig, 4 - Connery, 5 - Brosnan, 6 - Lazenby
  • Sir Hillary BraySir Hillary Bray College of ArmsPosts: 2,174MI6 Agent
    edited July 2004
    Quoting Hardyboy:
    Quoting Hardyboy:
    Quoting one night stand:
    I was reading The Great Gatsby a little earlier this month and I got nothing out of it. The plot seemed weak and it was a waste of my time.

I can't believe I just read these words! Man, Gatsby is one of the greatest novels ever written--I've read it about three times, and each time I find more in it. Please come back to it some day, ONS. . .you may change your mind.

Many people call Ulysses by James Joyce the greatest novel of the 20th century. Not having read it, I wouldn't know, but I cannot imagine it being better than Gatsby. I have read it at least ten times (I have never read anything else more than once) and, like Hardyboy, I get something new each time. one night stand, I would urge you to finish the book. If you don't care for it, at least you can say you read the entire novel to reach that conclusion.
    Hilly...you old devil!
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,884Chief of Staff
    I've read Ulysses, Sir Hilly (it was a required book on my Master's list), and I personally don't consider it the greatest book of the 20th century. It's creative and often fascinating, but it appeals solely to academics and really doesn't have anything for the average reader. To my mind, Joyce's short stories and A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man are much better works.
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • scaramanga1scaramanga1 The English RivieraPosts: 845Chief of Staff
    edited July 2004
    Quoting Hardyboy:
    I've read Ulysses, Sir Hilly (it was a required book on my Master's list), and I personally don't consider it the greatest book of the 20th century. It's creative and often fascinating, but it appeals solely to academics and really doesn't have anything for the average reader. To my mind, Joyce's short stories and A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man are much better works.

Couldn't agree with you more Hardy, Ulysses is one of those books that while inventive is as you say a book that is appreciated by accademics -I'd much rather read Hemingway, Twain, Dostoevsky; Faulkner; Conan Doyle, Conrad and Dickens than Ulysses -and that is a pretty literary list in itself.

Coming back to the norm though - one of my favourite writers has to be James Lee Burke, whose ability to write novels that are so visual is fantastic. His Dave Robicheaux series is amazing.

BTW has anyone attempted to read House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski? It is an amazing novel -but takes persistance, patience and the use of a mirror to read it! This novel which is essentially a horror is chilling and compelling -and is a great addition to your personal library -if only to baffle your friends. :D

BTW I've finished Licence Renewed and Rum Punch now, and am now reading - The Secret History of the Musashi and Arrowroot by Junichiro Tanizaki, a pair of novellas written by a popular Japanese author.
  • carver97carver97 New York, USAPosts: 78MI6 Agent
    I finished reading teh Die Another Day novel.
  • JarvioJarvio EnglandPosts: 4,236MI6 Agent
    Quoting DFXX:
    Now I'm reading 'The Fellowship Of The Ring' again, 'Pride and Prejudice', 'The First Men In The Moon' by H.G.Wells, 'Everything's Eventual' by Stephen King ...

I own "Pride And Prejudice" and I also own Stephen King's "Everythings Eventual".
    I haven't read neither of them yet though.
    1 - LALD, 2 - AVTAK, 3 - LTK, 4 - OP, 5 - NTTD, 6 - FYEO, 7 - SF, 8 - DN, 9 - DAF, 10 - TSWLM, 11 - OHMSS, 12 - TMWTGG, 13 - GE, 14 - MR, 15 - TLD, 16 - YOLT, 17 - GF, 18 - DAD, 19 - TWINE, 20 - SP, 21 - TND, 22 - FRWL, 23 - TB, 24 - CR, 25 - QOS

1 - Moore, 2 - Dalton, 3 - Craig, 4 - Connery, 5 - Brosnan, 6 - Lazenby
  • PredatorPredator Posts: 790Chief of Staff
    Just finished Cider With Roadies (sic) by Stuart Maconie ... a biography of his music journalist days and quite fun for transatlantic flights (the only time I really get to sit down and read.

I'm moving on to Cowley's What If ..., a tremendous collection of military scenarios played out as if one vital piece of the jigsaw was missing (What If ... the Allies had failed to get a bridgehead in Normandy 1944). I am also (finally) finishing Ambrose's D-Day ...

For a little light relief I am reading Jasper Fforde's Thursday Next series ... recommended for anyone who misses Douglas Adam's novels.
  • one night standone night stand Posts: 127MI6 Agent
    edited August 2004
    Quoting Hardyboy:
    Quoting Hardyboy:
    Quoting one night stand:

I am sorry, but I was a little pressed for time reading it because I have to write a school report for it. Also, I read while on a long road trip. Maybe in a little while, I will learn to appreciate it.
    The Night-Comers by Eric Ambler - an interesting tale by an author that Fleming himself used to read. Currently reading James Bond -The autorized biography of 007 by John Pearson. I really reccommend this one! :)
    Quoting DFXX:
    William Shakespeare's

Julius Caeser ... well, I'm reading it.

Remember Shakespeare's works are plays and not novels -they are mainly written to be performed not read. :)

However -good for you, reading Shakespeare is a worthwhile thing to do -although seeing performances is much much more rewarding.

BTW I bought a copy of Deighton's THE IPCRESS FILE yesterday -looking forward to reading that after finishing Pearson's Biography of 007. :D
  • TheSaintTheSaint Posts: 18MI6 Agent
    Pearson's book is fabulous, Scaramanga. I was engrossed in it.

For me: Wally Olins's On Brand, which covers some old ground but a good volume nonetheless.
  • TracyTracy the VillagePosts: 369MI6 Agent
    I'm currently reading Sherman Alexie's Ten Little Indians. It's about mostly Washington state area Indians, their lives on and off the reservation, and their perspective on being Indian and what it means to be an Indian. It's incredibly funny and touching without being sappy. Definitely an interesting read.

He also has an interesting website: http://www.fallsapart.com
    Flattery will get you nowhere, but don't stop trying.
  • Pierce_BrosnanPierce_Brosnan Posts: 329MI6 Agent
    Last one I read was Doctor No by Ian Fleming
    It had point better, and worse than the movie.
  • Willie GarvinWillie Garvin Posts: 1,412MI6 Agent
    edited May 2006
    The Devil's Wind by Richard Rayner.Pure film noir on paper--stylistically a kind of cross between Raymond Chandler and James M.Cain,with a bit of James Ellroy tossed in for good measure.An absorbing mystery with multiple layers.
  • Ryder on the StormRyder on the Storm Posts: 14MI6 Agent
    Mary, Mary by James Patterson.
  • arthur pringlearthur pringle SpacePosts: 366MI6 Agent
    KING OF THE WORLD by David Remnick

The story of Ali,Floyd Patterson and Sonny Liston set agaisnt the stormy backdrop of the civil-rights struggle in 1960's America.Absolutely fascinating and a must for anyone with an interest in boxing.
  • ant007ukant007uk Great BritainPosts: 67MI6 Agent
    I reading a fabulous book called "Notes from a small Island" by Bill Bryson, very funny it is too.
  • FelixLeiter ♀FelixLeiter ♀ Staffordshire or a pubPosts: 1,286MI6 Agent
    I am currently reading 'The Deviant Strain' by Justin Richards I think it is. It's one of the Doctor Who books written to go along with the TV series. It's not one of the latest ones but I'm getting neaer those and it's nice to be reminded of Christopher Eccleston's Doctor. :)
    Relax darling, I'm on top of the situation -{
  • BondAcrossThePondBondAcrossThePond Posts: 2MI6 Agent
    Currently reading Layer Cake and Wondor When You'll Miss Me by Amanda Davis. Recently finished Werewolves in Their Youth by Michael Chabon and Road to Purgatory by Max Allan Collins, his sequal to Road to Perdition.
  • i expect u2 diei expect u2 die LondonPosts: 583MI6 Agent
    Vernon God Little by DBC Pierre.

A very interesting book, like a modern day 'Catcher in the Rye'.

Not finished it yet, but I'm finding it very enjoyable.
  • Sir Hillary BraySir Hillary Bray College of ArmsPosts: 2,174MI6 Agent
    edited May 2006
    Absolute Friends by John Le Carre. I loved this book. Le Carre is so great at characterizing world-weary types who are noble but ultimately are pawns, and he does so once again in this story. What's different is his venomous anger at the current state of the world, notably the war in Iraq. This is one p***ed off author.
    Hilly...you old devil!
  • ElizabethElizabeth Posts: 6MI6 Agent
    The Phantom of the Opera - Gaston Leroux {:)
  • steelydan3steelydan3 Posts: 65MI6 Agent
    Quite pleased with myself, I am a big reader but have never got any time this year to do so, but in the last three weeks, I have read and finished Layer Cake, With Nails: The Film Diaries of Richard E Grant and Notorious, a biog about Duran Duran, all of which I throughly enjoyed :)
  • NightshooterNightshooter In bed with SolitairePosts: 2,917MI6 Agent
    I'm in the middle of reading Dr. No and Stephen King's Misery.
  • Pierce_BrosnanPierce_Brosnan Posts: 329MI6 Agent
    Cell by Stephen King

Ok book.
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,661Chief of Staff
    James Bond: The Man And His World by Henry Chancellor. A good read, well worth the cover price.
    YNWA 97
  • steelydan3steelydan3 Posts: 65MI6 Agent
    Sir Miles wrote:
    James Bond: The Man And His World by Henry Chancellor. A good read, well worth the cover price.

Agree with you Sir Miles, I found it very interesting read, despite not knowing what to expect, picking it up blind. It feels even better if you got it for £10 like I did! ;) Still well worth paying the full price of £20 for it though.
  • Golrush007Golrush007 South AfricaPosts: 3,421Quartermasters
    I'm currently reading Adrian Mole - The Wilderness Years by Sue Townsend. Another fine entry in a great series. I'm re-reading the whole series at the moment. I've yet to read the latest entry, so I thought I'd re-read to other ones before doing so, just to remind me of the various characters.
  • 00-Agent00-Agent CaliforniaPosts: 453MI6 Agent
    I just finished For Your Eyes Only and I was surprised that it was a collection of short stories. I really liked the one about the stewardess. I also just finished The Defection of A.J. Lewinter by Robert Littell. It was a great spy novel in my opinion. Littell also wrote another good book called The Company which is a spy novel about the CIA.
    "A blunt instrument wielded by a Government department. Hard, ruthless, sardonic, fatalistic. He likes gambling, golf, fast motor cars. All his movements are relaxed and economical". Ian Fleming