Bond in Love

The CatThe Cat Where Blofeld is!Posts: 711MI6 Agent
In which movies do you think Bond TRULY fells in love with his "female comapinon"? I'd say:

- OHMSS. I hope I don't need to explain that, after all Bond marries the girl. ;)
- TSWLM. Bond could have just easily left Anya on Atlantis, after all she threatened to kill him. But, no he went back to get her. What is this if not love? (As for an other Gore entry, I was thinking about Solitaire as well, but that card trick WAS nasty.)
- TLD Another one-girl entry, with a relationship having true heights and lows, from a romantic night in Vienna through the betrayal in Tangiers to Kara turning to be an 'Afghan rebel chic' for the cause.
- TWINE I'm not a Brosnan-Bond fan, but his relationship with Elektra was something sorely missed from other entries. Bond truly falls in love with her, too bad Sophie Marceau shines over the primarly Bond-girl... :( It's almost as sad as OHMSS.

These relationships I think are the strongest ones. It's nice to have these in some movies, but if Bond would fell in love in each motion picture, well, it would be quite unbelievable. But there are so many great girls... Maybe it's easier to count the movies where there's absolutely no love in sight... DAF or TMWTGG anyone?

Comments

• taitytaity Posts: 702MI6 Agent
    This is a tough call. Id say he had strong feelings for Honey and Tatiana - but perhaps not strong love. Also, Octopussy I'd say he had feelings for. The only other girls would perhaps be Solitaire and Melina. As you can see, most of these girls come from movies where there is only one strong female character.
  • RobinsonRobinson Posts: 42MI6 Agent
    I am not sure if Bond falls in love with Anya in TSWLM. She is the first women ever to work alongside him as his "equal". Despite always managing to keep her hair and make up perfect, she does not trip up during action scenes and will help Bond during a fight. This I feel gave Bond a deep respect for Anya. At last he was working with a stunningly beautiful woman who was also an effective agent. The big irony of this of course, is that once the mission was over, they would be working in competition with each other once again.

Another theory that I have about Anya is that she reminded him of Tracey. She is the first person since OHMSS to ever dare to mention Tracey to his face and judging by Bond's reaction to this and other references to her, its still a very sore subject to him. Anya and Tracey however do have many similarities. When they both meet Bond, they are both mourning the deaths of their husband/lover, but neither of them need a man to dictate to them. On the contrary, both are resourceful and independent and when they both have sex with Bond, it is out of their own lust as much as his. Tracey was the first female character ever in a Bond movie to show some feminist tendancies and not simply be eye candy. After OHMSS, we see female characters being the other extreme. It is absurd to suggest that Tiffany Case, Rosie Carver or Mary Goodnight for instance could ever be employed in the world of espionage. They are after all immature, clumsy and incompetant. TSWLM was therefore the first time since OHMSS that Bond had met anyone like Tracey. The similarities don't end there. Both characters come from relatively priviledged backgorunds that rival MI6. Tracey is the heiress to Draco's crime empire and Anya is the KGB's top agent, with a glittering future ahead of her. This meant his first meeting with them were frosty ones.

However, while I firmly believe that Anya did remind Bond of Tracey - I still would say it went as far as love in between them. Unlike Tracey, Anya seems to be far to well balanced for his liking. Ian Fleming stated that Bond had a particular fondness for women in emotional danger. Honey Ryder, Domino Duvall, Kara Milovy, Lupe or Elektra King are all examples of this. While Tracey shares this quality with them (she attempted suicide) - Anya does not. Sure, Anya has a temper. She threatens to kill Bond after she learnt he killed her lover - but she manages to hold that anger in her.
  • one night standone night stand Posts: 127MI6 Agent
    Definitely in OHMSS, maybe in TSWLM.
  • Sir Hillary BraySir Hillary Bray College of ArmsPosts: 2,174MI6 Agent
    I can't agree with TSWLM. Bond's mission is the tracking system and then Stromberg, and he would have thrown Anya under a bus if he thought it would help him succeed. As it was, she was pretty talented in her own right, and they made a good team.

I would go for Melina. Bond seems to genuinely care about her, and he's willing to spend time with her for no real reason. The scene of them going to the market is the closest thing I can remember to the beach montage in OHMSS.

Kara would be closest after Tracy and Melina.
    Hilly...you old devil!
  • AtticusAtticus Posts: 9MI6 Agent
    I'm not sure Bond went back to save Anya out of love, either. Probably more out of chivalry than anything.
  • The CatThe Cat Where Blofeld is!Posts: 711MI6 Agent
    Yeah, I probably have too much of a spot spot for Barbara Bach... I'd go back to Atlantis for her... :x:)
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,308MI6 Agent
    Quoting The Cat:
    Yeah, I probably have too much of a spot spot for Barbara Bach... I'd go back to Atlantis for her... :x:)

I thought Cats didn't like water.... Or are we talking about pussy.... -{
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • scaramanga1scaramanga1 The English RivieraPosts: 845Chief of Staff
    Quoting The Cat:

Me too ! Me too! :x :x :x

(don't tell the wife!) ;)
  • njkinzelnjkinzel Posts: 4MI6 Agent
    I'd agree with the Tracy conclusion, Melina also has promise, and Elektra too (until she turned out to be an evil, greedy jerk), [all were inteligent, tough "birds(s) with wing(s) down"] but certainly not with Anya. Unless you want to believe in the conclusion that "love makes people do strange things" what he had with that woman was more a psychotic infatuation (trusting, protecting a very intelligent enemy agent is certainly insanity--especially when that enemy had a personal grudge against him) than true love. No, the "rescue" mission in the end was certainly "more out of chivalry" and a desire to kill Stromberg personally rather than any deep love for XXX.
  • The CatThe Cat Where Blofeld is!Posts: 711MI6 Agent
    Guess I projected my feelings on 007 too much. ;)
  • Dr J NoDr J No Posts: 12MI6 Agent
    Quoting Napoleon Plural:

:))
  • Willie GarvinWillie Garvin Posts: 1,412MI6 Agent
    Bond was really in love with Tracy.He wanted to love Elektra but any deep feelings he might have had for her vanished the instant he realized what she actually was.
  • AlexAlex The Eastern SeaboardPosts: 2,694MI6 Agent
    He showed affection to Domino more then any other during the period aside from Tracy. Witness the unpleasant task informing her of brother's death. Definitive signs of warmth there even if he did try to hide it. Obviously Connery was playing the moment.

Tracy.

Not till much later did we see the same warmth with Melina. Moore, like Connery played that moment well. Also saw genuine feelings with Octopussy. Returning to Atlantis is one thing, vaulting one's self on a fast moving aeoroplane another. Also the love scene showed two profesionals who knew what they'd found.

Then Kara, which was more of older sibling's protection in my opinion. Dalton played the moment well.

I never bought Paris seriously, good drama and tension of Bond on her arrival yet.. To quote another member she was an A-1 dress dropper though.

The answer to the Elecktra dilemma can most likely be found on Bond's countenance after the death.
  • TobiasTobias Chelmsford UKPosts: 115MI6 Agent
    Quoting The Cat:

There is a cat breed that likes water and it is called the Turkish Van(no pun intended) i remember reading in a book about it.