No Q in 21?

Comments

• NightshooterNightshooter In bed with SolitairePosts: 2,917MI6 Agent
    Russia did, it had the amazingly wonderful briefcase provided by none other then Major Boothroyd. Unless you are speaking of the books, and then I wouldn;t know.
  • Agent WadeAgent Wade Ann ArborPosts: 321MI6 Agent
    I think that the appropriate word to be used is "balance." The rule of less is more comes into play. The less gadgets you have, the more intriguing they are when you see them at work. And they can't be ubiquitous either. It's a sad thought, but gadgets should be one trick contraptions with a single use. You can't keep using them over and over again, like the watches, wrist guns and sonic rings of Bonds past.
  • the Wise onethe Wise one Posts: 1MI6 Agent
    I also think that that would be a big mistake for the "new bond" it helps introduce the character the only 2 bond movies with no Q was Dr.NO and Live and let Die

I dont know what to say, this better be a god dam good movie thats all i can say, because if the audience doesnt except the 'new bond' than their F***ed

Q: "I never joke about my work 007"

- Goldfinger
  • A_Water_PistolA_Water_Pistol Posts: 21MI6 Agent
    There was a Q in Dr. no, but he was called Major boothroyd and wasnt played by desmond llewelyn, but by peter burton.
  • DAWUSSDAWUSS My homepagePosts: 517MI6 Agent
    See, Bond's gadgets will just somehow 'appear' in CR, leaving the audience to wonder how the heck he got those gadgets...
    DFXX wrote:
    Russia did, it had the amazingly wonderful briefcase provided by none other then Major Boothroyd. Unless you are speaking of the books, and then I wouldn;t know.

Hardly a gadget though: gold coins, a hidden gun and a smoke canister.

Balance is right, Agent Wade pointed that out. The use of gadgets without having Bond depend on them. For example, Bond could've easily completed the DN and FRWL missions without gadgets, which he did, not counting the briefcase. Without his sonic agitator ring in DAD, he would've been buggered.

That is a good point. Make believable, useful gadgets that Bond implements cleverly, don't make it like a viedogame where there is only one way out of each situation. Fewer invisible cars, more lockpicks, x-ray scanners and tiny cameras.
  • zebondzebond DolletPosts: 103MI6 Agent
    Well, I do know that Q did not appear in LALD, nor DN, (technically) and both of those were exceptionally fine entries to the series, however, I do have to admit that Bond does seem to lack a certain something without "Q," regardless of the actor. So, needless to say, it will be very interesting to see how this turns out.
    "Guns make me nervous!"
  • The CatThe Cat Where Blofeld is!Posts: 711MI6 Agent
    M. "Have a talk with Q about rooms and trains and any equipment you want"

In the novel, Q refers to Q-Branch, the department which is responsible for a large variet of equipments from supplying guns to booking hotel rooms. The Armourer is a member of Q-Branch (I don't remember whether he IS the head honcho or not), but he is never referred to as Q as such, only in a metonymical sense.
    Right, but in the movies, they are one in the same.
  • The CatThe Cat Where Blofeld is!Posts: 711MI6 Agent
    Yes, but this was only established in TSWLM, after Mankiewicz wanted to seperate the two characters to Maibaum's injection. The character of Colthorpe was Boothroyd in the original script, but Maibaum renamed him because he insisted that the two are the same. He made this undeniable in the next movie by referring to Q as Major Boothroyd and just to avoid meddlings, he referred to M as Miles for similar reasons.
  • TheSaintTheSaint Posts: 18MI6 Agent
    I totally accept a Q-less Bond, and if the story flows, the omission might not even be noticed.
  • Rogue_AgentRogue_Agent Posts: 8MI6 Agent
    Not having 'Q' in a Bond is like buying a car without wheels. If it really is a Bond film, 'Q' must be in it.
  • royalmileroyalmile Station CPosts: 115MI6 Agent
    Hopefully Cleese will be a little less Basil Fawlty if he IS in CR...:s

"Now here, 007, wear this...and don't mention the war! I mentioned it once, but I think I got away with it!"
  • royalmileroyalmile Station CPosts: 115MI6 Agent
    M "Q, are you working on those new brief cases for our Double O personel?"
    Q "...I was just doing it you stupid woman! I mean what's the point of calling me up to ask me to do what I'm already doing? I mean what is the bloody point I'm doing it aren't I!"

In DAD I was expecting a little technician to come out called Manuel and have Q hit him for bringing the wrong stuff.

LOL
    "Thank you, Moneypolly, and where have you been all morning?"
  • NeuroPirateNeuroPirate Posts: 1MI6 Agent
    I agree completely. A more professional, martial quartermaster would be cool. Most realistic, though, would probably be a civillian engineer. At least if the movie is supposed to be modern.
  • spectre7spectre7 LondonPosts: 118MI6 Agent
    Hopefully Cleese will be a little less Basil Fawlty if he IS in CR...:s
    Unfortunately Cleese has been a stuck record deck playing Basil Fawlty for years now which is why he isn't funny any more. A shame. CR doesn't need him, but Basil Fawlty would be a better director than the inept Martin Campbell.
  • 00640064 Somewhere out west...Posts: 1,083MI6 Agent
    Somebody knock down Sony's door and knock them 'bout the head. Aiiii, first Craig, now no Q.
  • NAOMI_FAN 1NAOMI_FAN 1 Posts: 85MI6 Agent
    Man, I really hope they put Q in the movie! People want to see the interaction between Bond and his quartermaster!
  • Barry NelsonBarry Nelson ChicagoPosts: 1,508MI6 Agent
    I can live without Q for one picture, but I don't think he should be permanently retired. Desmond was great so I think they should recast the part with a different type of character. Cleece was too silly. Perhaps a young gee whiz computer geek, or hot woman (can never have enough of those) who is a lesbian and immune to Bonds advances. Just some crazy thoughts to change the direction of the character a little.
  • wordswords Buckinghamshire, EnglandPosts: 249MI6 Agent
    Wasn't there a female Q in the Gardner books? (Q'te?). I read a couple ages ago and seem to recall this character. Not a bad concept for a change..
    words wrote:
    Wasn't there a female Q in the Gardner books? (Q'te?). I read a couple ages ago and seem to recall this character. Not a bad concept for a change..

I believe you are correcr and congratulations on your great memory. I have forgotten most of what I read in the Gardner books. Other than License Renewed I didn't care for them.
    I'd rather not end up with all female characters.

Q wasn't in LALD either and I wasn't at all bothered.

If they go back to a male M, which I think they should, a female Q would be fine.
    In my opinion a female Q, unlike M, would spoil the character considerably. One of the whole charms of Q was that he had a very male, grumpy attitude towards James Bond and Bond could not get by him intellectually. With a female Q she would have to be very ugly and old, but even then the whole charm of the relationship between those characters would be lost.

Ontop of that I couldn't be doing with yet another battle between Bond and the intellectually equal woman, it's been done to death with the Bond girls, Moneypenny and even M now.

You make some good points. My thinking is no one will top Desmond in the, I take my work very seriously and you don't, relationship with Bond. So I think they need to go in another direction. Taking a movie off is not a bad idea and then reintroduce a Q type character with a different personna.
  • VampiressRNVampiressRN CaliforniaPosts: 203MI6 Agent
    There will be a big hole in the movie if there is no Q. John Cleese was brilliant and leaving out a character like that will be dissapointing. I look forward to the Q scenes in all the Bond movies. BooHoo
  • VampiressRNVampiressRN CaliforniaPosts: 203MI6 Agent
    No offense to anyone here, but I never cared for Roger Moore...I think he was to slap-stick. I prefer the Sean Connery films. And yes, I did miss Q in Live and Let Die. But at least I know how to escape from a swamp island on the backs of crocs.
  • taitytaity Posts: 702MI6 Agent
    I think the hole in LALD may have been caused by the plot, not Q missing one out.

As for some serious ones...OHMSS had Q, FYEO had a few funny scenes with Q and LTK...big time!

As for Clease, if he doesnt welcome Craig in I think his Q wont be developed enough to return in future.

As for a female Q - just waiting for the quip where Bond gets his new car, she says "havent quite worked out driving it yet." and bond gets a trademark joke. Then female Q says that she has disabled the GPS navigation, because men cant take direction. Cliche after cliche. Good times.
  • Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    I am not particularly fussed if they don't have Q (although I do appreciate him) but I would like it if there could at least be a reference to Q. For example, Bond could pick up a gadget from M who then tells him that it was sent over by Q. Having no reference whatsoever to Q would be IMHO illogical, nonsencical and disrespectful. So if the producers don't want a scene with Cleese, could they at least work in a reference?
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
  • TonyDPTonyDP Inside the MonolithPosts: 4,280MI6 Agent
    For the record, Q was not in LALD because Desmond Llewelyn had a scheduling conflict with some TV show he was doing at the time and the producers decided to have his scenes rewritten so M gives Bond his watch rather than recast the character. That's a far cry from deliberately omitting the character, as they appear to be doing in CR.

For what it's worth, I think Q is being omitted because his character always brought a little comedy relief to the films (yes, even LTK) as well as the gadgets and that doesn't seem to be the tone they're going for with CR. I have a feeling humor (and gadgets) will be very limited commodities in CR.

TonyDP
  • Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    I think you're right. I don't mind the idea of a serious/FRWL type film but what the producers don't realise is that FRWL was actually quite humorous.
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,990Quartermasters
    I regret that Q won't be in it; I rather enjoyed Cleese in DAD, and hope he does more of them.

I doubt they'll eschew humour altogether, but it might be more 'character'-oriented---Bond's fastidiousness, etc.

A favourite of mine from FRWL: "Just isn't your day...is it?" as 007 chucks the henchman out of the boat. :)
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM