Remington Steele

In the current style of Hollywood to make any 1980's formulaic US TV show into a film. I wonder if Remington Steele will ever get the "Big Screen" treatment? I think not but it would be interesting to see PB and Stephanie Zimbalist together again!

Comments

• asioasio Melbourne, AustraliaPosts: 546MI6 Agent
    edited December 2004
    I have been expecting this TV series to hit the big screen ever since they announced the first Charlies Angels film was going to be made.
    However, would they even cast Brosnan as Steele? Or would they give the role to Ben Stiller, and leave Brosnan for a quick cameo as a janitor or something like that?
    Also, I unfortunately couldn't see them casting Zimbalist either, as they would probably give the role to Eliza Cuthbert, or some other "flavour of the month".
    Sigh, the plight of modern day Hollywood is making me quite cynical.
    Drawn Out Dad.
    Independent, one-shot comic books from the outskirts of Melbourne, Australia.
    twitter.com/DrawnOutDad
  • The CatThe Cat Where Blofeld is!Posts: 711MI6 Agent
    Quoting asio:
    However, would they even cast Brosnan as Steele? Or would they give the role to Ben Stiller, and leave Brosnan for a quick cameo as a janitor or something like that?

Now that is most likely! I hate when old shows are recycled into movies with other people playing the leads. (This stands for even M:I, which gets extra negatives because of violating the original characters).
  • John DrakeJohn Drake On assignmentPosts: 2,564MI6 Agent
    'Remington Steele' is now airing on Zonethriller on satellite. The first batch of episodes were fairly conventional, but the last few have perked up a bit. The writing has got a lot smarter with some really funny one-liners. I can definitely see how much of an influence it had on one of my favourite ever shows, 'Moonlighting.' Pierce Brosnan made a cameo appearance as Remington Steele in an episode of ML's third season, so I guess even its makers acknowledged it.
  • wordswords Buckinghamshire, EnglandPosts: 249MI6 Agent
    The Cat wrote:
    Quoting asio:

Now that is most likely! I hate when old shows are recycled into movies with other people playing the leads. (This stands for even M:I, which gets extra negatives because of violating the original characters).

Talking of violating characters..what about Starsky & Hutch? I'm still bitter and twisted about that movie (grrrrrrr)
  • Willie GarvinWillie Garvin Posts: 1,412MI6 Agent
    edited April 2007
    I think that both Brosnan and Zimbalist have aged very gracefully,so maybe if they wanted to do it-- and all of the necessary rights and clearances were obtained-- a Remington Steele motion picture could be a real possibility.

A few years ago(after The Thomas Crown Affair debuted, and while he was still playing 007),Brosnan briefly said--in part of a TV interview(this may've been during his appearance on Inside the Actor's Studio--that he was now interested in the Remington Steele character again;"revisting" was the term he used).Whether he might still want to do something with Steele today,is of course,unknown.

However,as both an established movie star and as successful film producer,Brosnan would probably have a better chance than most people of getting such a film made.
  • AlexAlex The Eastern SeaboardPosts: 2,694MI6 Agent
    I would certainly pay my money at the door.

Many prefer Moore's interpretation of the Saint to his 007. My personal reflections on Brosnan might be construed in the same fashion. As a big fan of RS, and while his performance as Bond was enjoyable, I do prefer the former.
    I'm liking this show a lot. There was a great moment in one episode, when Steele and Laura Holt encounter a monk who's taken a vow of silence and have to play charades to get info out of him. :D Also Stephanie Zimbalist is stunning.
  • 72897289 Beau DesertPosts: 1,691MI6 Agent
    I don't recall how long it lasted, but the first couple of seasons of "Remington Steele" were very good.

As the original premise - Unknown Rake becomes fictional detective - was abandoned for "romance" and "laughs" it got tired.

When PB was offered Bond the greedy producers made a few more episodes just to keep Brosnan in the corral, those stunk!

I find PB more believable as Steele than Bond. The right type of movie with the original cast might be interesting. But that's like hoping Bond 22 will be as good as Bond 21.
    7289 wrote:
    I don't recall how long it lasted, but the first couple of seasons of "Remington Steele" were very good.

As the original premise - Unknown Rake becomes fictional detective - was abandoned for "romance" and "laughs" it got tired.

I think you might be right. I've watched three episodes of the third season and the spark has gone. Arguing has replaced verbal sparring. There's precious little wit on show, and everything seems to end in a chase sequence. They've thrown money at it. They have set episodes in glamorous locations, but something is missing. Hopefully, the season gets better, but if it doesn't, then no wonder Brosnan was so p***** at being forced out of TLD to make more episodes of this.
  • 72897289 Beau DesertPosts: 1,691MI6 Agent
    John Drake,

I think after viewing the rest of the last season you will find PB had great reason to be angry and resentful that the "Steele" producers pulled the Bond rug out from under him.

The show had already played itself out, and should have been cancelled. Again, it was a matter of greed - in the end the audiance and PB got cheated, who knows if the producers made any money.