Last Book Read...

Comments

• WildeWilde Oxford, UKPosts: 621MI6 Agent
    Oddly enough, Candide by Voltaire. Had a bad day and needed to reinforce my dysfunctional view on the world. :))
  • little nellylittle nelly London, EnglandPosts: 152MI6 Agent
    Conspiracy Of The Planet Of The Apes by Drew Gaska - I'd waited so long for this book, and it was a bit of a disappointment when I actually read it. Presently re-reading the Gormenghast series - I really enjoyed Titus Groan but all the schoolteacher stuff at the beginning of Gormenghast is deadly dull.
    N O I N F O R M A T I O N I S U S E L E S S
  • darenhatdarenhat The Old PuebloPosts: 2,029Quartermasters
    Clive Cussler's "The Treasure of Kahn" ...another Dirk Pitt adventure. The obligatory question always come to my mind whenever I finish one of Cussler's latest books: "Why do I keep doing this to myself?"
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,286MI6 Agent
    Have started reading Brideshead Revisited - slightly surprised by the 'Last night I dreamt I went to Mandalay...'-style opening of the prologue; the whole novel is in flashback, the memories of an officer some 20 years older. Still, that's why it's called 'Revisited'...
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • thesecretagentthesecretagent CornwallPosts: 2,151MI6 Agent
    darenhat wrote:
    Clive Cussler's "The Treasure of Kahn" ...another Dirk Pitt adventure. The obligatory question always come to my mind whenever I finish one of Cussler's latest books: "Why do I keep doing this to myself?"

You're so right with that one - but I keep going back.

Try Colin Forbes in order. If anyone got a little bit worse with each novel, it was him. But I went back time and time again... :#
    Amazon #1 Bestselling Author. If you enjoy crime, espionage, action and fast-moving thrillers follow this link:

http://apbateman.com
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,602Chief of Staff
    Try Colin Forbes in order. If anyone got a little bit worse with each novel, it was him. But I went back time and time again... :#

I'm so with you on Forbes, tsa.....his books always seemed to promise much more than they delivered....and there was a very steady decline in quality....but I always went back, just in case...
    YNWA 97
  • PendragonPendragon ColoradoPosts: 2,640MI6 Agent
    The Templar Salvation - Raymond Khoury

fantastic thriller. starts with a bang and never stops. just like the first book, The Last Templar
    Hey! Observer! You trying to get yourself Killed?

mountainburdphotography.wordpress.com
  • pyratpyrat Posts: 260MI6 Agent
    Wild Bill Donovan: The Spymaster Who Created the OSS and Modern American Espionage
    by Douglas Waller

Very interesting read. While MI6 has turned 100, a dedicated civilian spy agency in the US dates back to just the WWII time period. This is the story of Bill Donovan who created the Office Of Strategic Services (OSS), later to become the CIA, with the help of MI5 and MI6 and to the consternation of US Army and Naval intelligence as well as the FBI under Hoover. Also a fascinating glimpse into the mind of then president FDR.
    Pyrat
    Reflections in a double bourbon...
    Sir Miles wrote:

I'm so with you on Forbes, tsa.....his books always seemed to promise much more than they delivered....and there was a very steady decline in quality....but I always went back, just in case...

Not just that, but he seemed to forget character traits - even descriptions.
    Amazon #1 Bestselling Author. If you enjoy crime, espionage, action and fast-moving thrillers follow this link:

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    I for one love the Clive Cussler Books, fast paced easy to read, ( No big words, Novels for the Jeremy Kyle Generation ).
    It amazes me how none have ever been a sucess when turned in to Movies.
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    "Fahrenheit 451"...my first foray into Ray Bradury. For a book written in 1950, I have to give him credit for crafting a future that is almost spot-on (24-hour ATMs, political correctness run amok, large-screen televisions with reality programming). It's an interesting story that falls well into the "What if..." category. It's brief, and was initially written in a hurry, and some aspects of it show. While the message was strong, some elements of the story required a great deal of suspending disbelief. Like a stage-play, if you take your eyes off the players and start examining the sets and lights and the audience, you'll start realizing how ridiculous it really all is. I would call it a "must-read", but only once.
    9780141182483.jpg

Brideshead Revisited
    by Evelyn Waugh.

1940s novel immortalised in the 1980s TV series with Jeremy Irons and Anthony Andrews and traduced by the movie version starring Skyfall's Ben Wilshaw as Sebastian Flyte.

This is great stuff, a fine English novel set mostly in the 1920s. How good is it? When one of the characters mentions reading Huxley's Antic Hay, I made sure to order my Penguin edition on ebay. :) The cover (above) I liked a lot, though only part of it is set at Oxford Uni, it then takes a detour to the Flyte family grounds, where the narrator Charles Ryder holes up with his new Oxford pal, who seems a bit wet and carries a teddy bear around with him. At first you go off Flyte a lot, indeed want to take a chainsaw to his furry companion. Then I got to thinking, well, are Ryder and Flyte gay or are we just meant to infer that, due to the times? (It was illegal back then.) Swiftly, however, it seems that despite Ryder looking back on his time of idyll, just about every other character is a bit shifty or a snake in the grass, so Flyte doesn't seem so bad.

I expected some kind of Great Expectations or The Go-Between development (although Ryder is not demonstrably more common that the Flyte family, he is out of his depth with their Catholicism) but then the book takes another detour and something of an epic sweep, except it's notable that Ryder doesn't develop much as should be the case with the hero in epics, but indeed is stagnated, stuck in past events that appear more vivid than his present state.

Having failed to get through Waugh's earlier novel Scoop, this is far more engrossing and reflective, though some may detect a familiarity with
    Graham Greene's The End of the Affair, made into a very fine film with Skyfall's Ralph Fiennes, in the female lead's renunciation of an adulterous affair due to Catholic guilt.

There is, of course, another book called Bride's Head Revisited, about a couple's attempt to recapture the excitement of their honeymoon sexploits, but I'll review that another time.

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • HalconHalcon Zen TemplePosts: 486MI6 Agent
    La Seduction

By Elaine Sciolino
    Great read on how the French really define the word 'seduction'.

(Its all about the 'ride', not the destination)

The bits on each French president and the insight on Zarkozy in particular was very entertainning.
    I have started to read Jane Eyre for the first time, first 50 pages drove me into a rage, it makes me feel very misogynistic, and has that soap opera flavour some women writers have (women! know your limits!) In fairness, you can slag of Hemingway for being to macho if you want. It's a page turner however, just manipulative with regards to emotions and actually Bronte seems quite misogynistic too, in the way the characters are drawn.

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • scaramanga1scaramanga1 The English RivieraPosts: 845Chief of Staff
    I am reading a book called The Mumper written by Mark Baxter and Paolo Hewitt. Its a fun read about seven friends who buy into the ownership of a racehorse. They each drink in their local pub on a Sunday when they are asked one Sunday by a stranger if they would like to buy a horse -what follows are their madcap adventures that could mean success or them ending up being the biggest plums south London has ever seen. Its set in south London 1985 and is so far a really excellent read. Its also due to come out as a Major film soon titled Outside Bet. with the legendary Bob Hoskins playing a role. Apparently he has come out of retirement to make it. Also famous British actresses of yesteryear Jenny Agutter and Rita Tushingham have roles. Can't wait to see the movie -should be a great little Brit flick. :)
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,804MI6 Agent
    edited November 2011
    I have just finished "Bloodlands: Europe between Hitler and Stalin" by Timoty Snyder. I have been interested in WWII most of my life, but like many I`ve felt that I needed to learn more about the war on the Eastern front. Just to make it clear: "Bloodlands" is mostly about the hardships of the non-combatants in the region. Go elsewear to read about the armies and generals of the eastern front. This book makes it very clear that the war was much more harsh and cruel and BIGGER in the east. The inhabitants of what Snyder calls the Bloodlands (Poland, Belarus, Ukraine the western part of European Russia and the Baltic states) were not only caught betwee the devil and a hard place, but between two devils - Hitler and Stalin. I would be hard pressed to say who was the worst of them. Stalin killed mainly his own peoples in peacetime. Hitler killed mainly non-Germans in wartime. Both murdered millions of civilians without loosing sleep over it. I belive I`m above average knowledgable about the history of the 20th century, but Snyder offers many facts and insights that were new to me. This book is very readable, but never an easy read. Interesting, dark and at times heartbreaking. This book comes highly reccomended.
    edited November 2011
    I have also read several Flashman novels this summer and fall. Perhaps as a counterpoint to "Bloodlands"? After all those are completely different books! I enjoy reading Flashman al lot, after all I love history and I really like the humor. I think the Flasman books should be turned into a TV series, perhaps by the BBC and HBO? A bit like Sharpe or Hornblower with more money and far more humor. Gerard Butler would be a fine Flashman and Jennifer Ellison could play his missus. I would definately see that!
    Number24 wrote:
    I have also read several Flashman novels this summer and fall. Perhaps as a counterpoint to "Bloodlands"? After all those are completely different books! I enjoy reading Flashman al lot, after all I love history and I really like the humor. I think the Flasman books should be turned into a TV series, perhaps by the BBC and HBO? A bit like Sharpe or Hornblower with more money and far more humor. Gerard Butler would be a fine Flashman and Jennifer Ellison could play his missus. I would definately see that!

After a bit of thinking (and an internett search) I think Rupert Everett would be a even better Flashman than Butler.
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,882Chief of Staff
    Actually, now that he's slimmed down Ricky Gervais wouldn't be a bad Flashy! :)) At any rate, Butler and Everett--and even Gervais--would be better than Malcolm McDowell in the disappointing adaptation of Royal Flash from the '70s.
    Vox clamantis in deserto
    Hardyboy wrote:
    Actually, now that he's slimmed down Ricky Gervais wouldn't be a bad Flashy! :)) At any rate, Butler and Everett--and even Gervais--would be better than Malcolm McDowell in the disappointing adaptation of Royal Flash from the '70s.

I disagree about Rick Gervais. Harry Flashman is a tall, strapping lad. Garvais is 5`7`` (I think). Flashy must also be convincing as a great charmer and ladies man. Gervais is more an expert in cringe humor and looks very average. I know Rupert Everet is gay. But he is also tall, looks like a leading man and is an experienced actor.

This somehow reminds me of some debates here on AJB a few years ago. Can` remember exactly what we were debating ... It will come back to me in a minute.
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,882Chief of Staff
    Number24, didn't my :)) indicate I wasn't entirely serious?
    Vox clamantis in deserto
    Darn, darn, darnit! Didn`t see that one. You may argue I should have understood it was a joke anyway, but you have to agree that worse casting suggestions have been made on AJB in full earnestness.
    The Last Kingdom & The Pale Horseman by Bernard Cornwell

These are the the two first books in the Saxon-series. I have read a good deal about vikings in the past, but mainly non-fiction and Icelandic sagas.
    The history of the Danish invasion of Britain isn`t something I knew much about, so this drew me to the series.
    The books are entertaining reads and it didn` take me much time to plow through the two novels. I also like the way Cornwell doesn`t try to make the main character, Uthred, easily likable and remotely politically correct.
    The Saxon series is generally fairly well written, but I notice that some of the most important incidents in Uthred`s life (the death of persons close to him) are done with in a paragraph or two. I also don`t like the way the vikings talk in these books. They express themselves in a language you usually find on the walls of public WC`s. I understand this is often young warriors talking during dramatic situations, but it still sounds wrong to me. The vikings had a advanced culture of poetry, sagas and skalds and valued good language. Kings and chiefs allways brought skalds where ever they went, and a good skald was held in high regard. Their literature was as good as anything at the time. Still, I think the books are good entertainment about an interesting time period.
    Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte.

This is a decent, readable classic. Some classics I can't finish ie Hunchback of Notre Dame, written around the same time. This is a page turner, a gripping plot with a 'we shall overcome' theme as plain Jane struggles as an orphan a series of trials before becoming a teacher of a young French girl under Mr Rochester's mysterious, rugged auspices.

Timothy Dalton played Rochester once, good casting as he is described as an awkward, ugly fellow... :D No, actually I've read he does the brooding menace quite well, though really I think Gordon Brown, former Prime Minister, would be good casting, what with his deformed eye, brooding embittered nature and plain Jane wife, I'm just being a bitch now. Though from what one hears, Gordon was
    the lunatic in the attic.

A very worthy, Gothic novel with plenty of insight and a darned sight more atmosphere than Jane Austin, whose work C Bronte hated, so I understand. That said, plenty of turmoil and not always a happy read.

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • gussguss South Wales, UKPosts: 195MI6 Agent
    Ginger Bread Willie, you can get it here at http://dlbgbw.com/ and he has a Facebook page too, have a look
    Bulldog Drummond
    Considered something of a classic adventure series, this initial novel introduces a British army captain who, not enjoying the malaise of peace-time after WWI, puts an advert in the paper seeking some excitement. As a result, he finds himself crossing swords with an evil mastermind in the vein of Professor Moriarty who goes by the name Peterson.

I picked it up simply because it was considered a classic, but IMO it doesn't quite rate that high. The plot is a bit erratic, and the back and forth events that take place between Drummond and Peterson come off as bit tedious to me. The writing style, particularly some of Drummond's banter, was antiquated and colloquial and doesn't quite stand the test of time. As a result, it hindered the flow of the story. Some elements I enjoyed quite a lot, such as the rivalry between Drummond and Petersons 'right-hand' man Lakington. It set the scene for a satisfying confrontation and helped redeemed some of the book's flaws by the end.

The edition I purchased has four Bulldog Drummond novels in it, but it might be some time before I'm willing to delve into the next book.
    Just got The Affair by Lee Child. It's no 16 of the Jack Reacher series - personally I love them - real easy reading, great character in Reacher (a 6'5" 18 stone ex military cop) who is a drifter with no material things, who kind of wanders through a new town and basically clears it up. Sheriffs, business empires, mercenaries, crime rings - they've all been shut down hard. Real predictable yet comfortingly so. :D

• LexiLexi LondonPosts: 3,000MI6 Agent
    Just got The Affair by Lee Child. It's no 16 of the Jack Reacher series - personally I love them - real easy reading, great character in Reacher (a 6'5" 18 stone ex military cop) who is a drifter with no material things, who kind of wanders through a new town and basically clears it up. Sheriffs, business empires, mercenaries, crime rings - they've all been shut down hard. Real predictable yet comfortingly so. :D

I loved this book... one of good'uns and I love hearing about his past - as in when he was in the Army.

Great read, good characters, and as always have you guessing till the end. Now the only problem with Child's novels, is that once you've finished it, you have to wait a year for another one :#
    She's worth whatever chaos she brings to the table and you know it. ~ Mark Anthony
    Lexi wrote:

I loved this book... one of good'uns and I love hearing about his past - as in when he was in the Army.

Great read, good characters, and as always have you guessing till the end. Now the only problem with Child's novels, is that once you've finished it, you have to wait a year for another one :#

Can't believe Tom Cruise is working on One Shot. Lee Child has said Reacher's size is merely a metaphor for power, and that Cruise will bring much to the role. Sounds like Lee Child has just heard the cash register bell...

• James SuzukiJames Suzuki New ZealandPosts: 2,406MI6 Agent
    I know, Tom Cruise!
    Anyway I had just read Worst Case by James paterson. It is a good book. Every moment is action packed and I just love it. I was actually going to read One Shot by lee child by i decided to read Angles and Demons by Dan Brown I'm in the middle of it right now, it's quite good actually
    “The scent and smoke and sweat of a casino are nauseating at three in the morning. "
    -Casino Royale, Ian Fleming