The ULTIMATE bond ranking- your 1-20

Comments

• am747am747 Posts: 720MI6 Agent
    edited December 2015
    I thought this interesting enough to chew on here...and naturally know it can be endlessly debated :v so here we go...

Their top three are 1) GF, 2) CR and 3) SF...and overall, they say that critics rate Craig just slightly ahead of Connery.

http://movies.prettyfamous.com/stories/7406/definitive-ranking-james-bond?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social.paid&utm_campaign=ao.sp.fb.dt.7406

Interesting opinion from Pretty Famous .... But to me Connery has displayed more range as a Bond. He is like a Ferrari. Craig is good too and I like his performances, but he is like a Maserati, IMO -{

As Bond films, CR and SF are strong entries but it is hard to keep them in the top 5 as they both seem to lose steam towards the end (last 1/3rd or so)
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,988Quartermasters
    am747 wrote:
    I thought this interesting enough to chew on here...and naturally know it can be endlessly debated :v so here we go...

Their top three are 1) GF, 2) CR and 3) SF...and overall, they say that critics rate Craig just slightly ahead of Connery.

http://movies.prettyfamous.com/stories/7406/definitive-ranking-james-bond?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social.paid&utm_campaign=ao.sp.fb.dt.7406

Interesting opinion. But to me Connery has displayed more range as a Bond. He is like a Ferrari. Craig is good too and I like his performances, but he is like a Maserati, IMO -{

As Bond films, it is hard to rate CR and SF in the top 5 as they both seem to lose steam towards the end

CR cracks my top 5 by virtue of its many strengths---aside from the third act, which curiously shares the issue of an extended denouement with the Fleming novel.
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
    edited December 2015

CR cracks my top 5 by virtue of its many strengths---aside from the third act, which curiously shares the issue of an extended denouement with the Fleming novel.

Spot on - the 3rd act! .... One of key reasons why films like DAF are usually not rated higher is because of the weak 2nd half .... Objectively speaking, both CR and SF have weak last 1/3rd which prevents me to rate them in the top 5-7 .... But because of their strengths and weighing relative pros and cons, they can fit in nicely at other spots :)

IMO, Below are Bond films in their respective segments that have very few weaknesses relatively speaking:

Group A (Closer to Fleming's) - FRWL and OHMSS
    Group B (OTT plot)- TSWLM
    Group C (Different/Weird plot) - LALD
    Group D (Others / Standard Formula) - DN and GF
    Group E (Special mention) - TLD

{[]
  • sniperUKsniperUK UlsterPosts: 594MI6 Agent
    Revised listing

1. OHMSS
    2. TB
    3. GF
    4. FRWL
    5 .CR
    6. Dr No
    7. TSWLM
    8. SF
    9. LD
    10.TND
    11.TWINE
    12. LALD
    13. LTK
    14. YOLT
    15. TMWTGG
    16. GE
    17. QoS
    18. FYEO
    19. DAD
    20 .MR
    21. SP
    22. DAF
    23 .OP
    24. AVTAK

Bottom half dozen are interchangeable.
  • JarvioJarvio EnglandPosts: 4,234MI6 Agent
    I seriously still can't see why anyone could put AVTAK at the bottom. Most memorable villain, with some of the most memorable scenes.
    1 - LALD, 2 - AVTAK, 3 - LTK, 4 - OP, 5 - NTTD, 6 - FYEO, 7 - SF, 8 - DN, 9 - DAF, 10 - TSWLM, 11 - OHMSS, 12 - TMWTGG, 13 - GE, 14 - MR, 15 - TLD, 16 - YOLT, 17 - GF, 18 - DAD, 19 - TWINE, 20 - SP, 21 - TND, 22 - FRWL, 23 - TB, 24 - CR, 25 - QOS

1 - Moore, 2 - Dalton, 3 - Craig, 4 - Connery, 5 - Brosnan, 6 - Lazenby
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    I agree ( sort of) ;) I have a top five Bonds, after that. I can't really
    Choose between them, and in my opinion AVTAK is a lot of fun. -{
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    edited December 2015
    On the positive side - this pg has a lot of lists with films from 60s in their top half -{
  • eric7064eric7064 USAPosts: 343MI6 Agent
    Jarvio wrote:
    I seriously still can't see why anyone could put AVTAK at the bottom. Most memorable villain, with some of the most memorable scenes.

Villian is great.

But honestly Ill say it again. Roger just looks to old for the role. It really shows. The fire truck scene for me was way to much. He could have reasoned with the police, nope ill steal a fire truck and race it through town.

The Bond girl is bad. Classic cliche dimwitted girl. And Moore is twice her age and it REALLY shows. Its like a dad saving his daughter. Its that bad.

It seemed like a lot of action that just wasn't necessary.

Visual effects to me were lackluster and at some points the stunt double is so obvious.

Although I do like Zorin, and I really like the Mine scene. That was fun.

Overall, to me its just a really forgettable film. Feels like a over the top 80's action movie. I will say the 80's were my least favorite decade for Bond.
  • MilleniumForceMilleniumForce LondonPosts: 1,214MI6 Agent
    The fire truck scene for me was way to much. He could have reasoned with the police, nope ill steal a fire truck and race it through town.

Umm, did you watch the film? He was about to be arrested for murder he didn't do as well as supposingly killed Howe and started a fire in City Hall. I don't think the police would have believed anything he said.

As it is with a lot of Bond films.
    1.LTK 2.AVTAK 3.OP 4.FYEO 5.TND 6.LALD 7.GE 8.GF 9.TSWLM 10.SPECTRE 11.SF 12.MR 13.YOLT 14.TLD 15.CR (06) 16.TMWTGG 17.TB 18.FRWL 19.TWINE 20.OHMSS 21.DAF 22.DAD 23.QoS 24.NSNA 25.DN 26.CR (67)
    Final one of 2015:

1.AVTAK
    2.LTK
    3.FYEO
    4.OP
    5.GE
    6.SF
    7.TSWLM
    8.GF
    9.LALD
    10.MR
    11.SPECTRE
    12.TND
    13.CR (06)
    14.TMWTGG
    15.TLD
    16.DAF
    17.YOLT
    18.FRWL
    19.TWINE
    20.DAD
    21.NSNA
    22.QoS
    23.OHMSS
    24.TB
    25.DN
    26.CR (67)
    1.LTK 2.AVTAK 3.OP 4.FYEO 5.TND 6.LALD 7.GE 8.GF 9.TSWLM 10.SPECTRE 11.SF 12.MR 13.YOLT 14.TLD 15.CR (06) 16.TMWTGG 17.TB 18.FRWL 19.TWINE 20.OHMSS 21.DAF 22.DAD 23.QoS 24.NSNA 25.DN 26.CR (67)
    23.OHMSS
    24.TB 
    25.DN

An unique list!
  • Agent PurpleAgent Purple Posts: 857MI6 Agent
    Jarvio and MF, the biggest champions of AVTAK on this site.
    "Hostile takeovers. Shall we?"
    New 2020 ranking (for now DAF and FYEO keep their previous placements)
    1. TLD 2. TND 3. GF 4. TSWLM 5. TWINE 6. OHMSS 7. LtK 8. TMWTGG 9. L&LD 10. YOLT 11. DAD 12. QoS 13. DN 14. GE 15. SF 16. OP 17. MR 18. AVTAK 19. TB 20. FRWL 21. CR 22. FYEO 23. DAF (SP to be included later)
    Bond actors to be re-ranked later
  • eric7064eric7064 USAPosts: 343MI6 Agent
    Thats what makes this site so great. You have most people with AVTAK in there bottom 5, and a few who are huge advocates for the film.
    edited December 2015
    eric7064 wrote:
    Jarvio wrote:

Villian is great.

But honestly Ill say it again. Roger just looks to old for the role. It really shows. The fire truck scene for me was way to much. He could have reasoned with the police, nope ill steal a fire truck and race it through town.

The Bond girl is bad. Classic cliche dimwitted girl. And Moore is twice her age and it REALLY shows. Its like a dad saving his daughter. Its that bad.

Visual effects to me were lackluster and at some points the stunt double is so obvious.

Although I do like Zorin, and I really like the Mine scene. That was fun.

Overall, to me its just a really forgettable film. Feels like a over the top 80's action movie. I will say the 80's were my least favorite decade for Bond.

The age gap never bothered me. To me, it's not that much different from Bond and Melina in FYEO. Also, age gaps between couples do exist. There were 33 years between my parents. Not common no, but it can and does happen.

I disagree about the fire engine chase though, basically for the reasons MF said, but also, the chase is very fun and memorable. And unnecessary action is all good if it is fun and memorable. Which the majority of AVTAK is for me.

Stunt doubles, ok, not AVTAK's strongest point, but the exact same can be said for many other bond films.

I can see how many think Stacey is bad, but meh, I liked her, and found her humerous. And she was hot too.
    1 - LALD, 2 - AVTAK, 3 - LTK, 4 - OP, 5 - NTTD, 6 - FYEO, 7 - SF, 8 - DN, 9 - DAF, 10 - TSWLM, 11 - OHMSS, 12 - TMWTGG, 13 - GE, 14 - MR, 15 - TLD, 16 - YOLT, 17 - GF, 18 - DAD, 19 - TWINE, 20 - SP, 21 - TND, 22 - FRWL, 23 - TB, 24 - CR, 25 - QOS

I always thought Stacey was your typical Bond girl, ok a damsel in distress and saved by Bond from the villain, but she did help with some of the exposition and the plot.
  • FiremassFiremass AlaskaPosts: 1,910MI6 Agent
    I always thought Stacey was your typical Bond girl, ok a damsel in distress and saved by Bond from the villain, but she did help with some of the exposition and the plot.

No, Stacy is very unique among Bond girls as she is the only one who is an ordinary person. She has a home, job, cat, car…. She's not a CIA agent or russian spy etc. She's very smart and helps Bond with geological information. She can believably defend herself with a rocksalt shotgun. She has high principles and refuses to sell out to Zorin. Overall, a very remarkable and likable woman.

I would agree her scream is too shrill, but she only yells out for "James" like x4 times. Hardly a constant annoyance like some detractors would have you believe.
    My current 10 favorite:

1. GE 2. MR 3. OP 4. TMWTGG 5. TSWLM 6. TND 7. TWINE 8.DN 9. GF 10. AVTAK
  • The Wicker ManThe Wicker Man EnglandPosts: 434MI6 Agent
    Firemass wrote:

No, Stacy is very unique among Bond girls as she is the only one who is an ordinary person. She has a home, job, cat, car…. She's not a CIA agent or russian spy etc. She's very smart and helps Bond with geological information. She can believably defend herself with a rocksalt shotgun. She has high principles and refuses to sell out to Zorin. Overall, a very remarkable and likable woman.

I would agree her scream is too shrill, but she only yells out for "James" like x4 times. Hardly a constant annoyance like some detractors would have you believe.

Great points Firemass. I have no problem with Stacey Sutton, infact I love the cast of AVTAK - Moore, Walken, Jones and Macnee are all on top form. -{
    1.ohmss 2.cr 3.frwl 4.ltk 5.gf 6.tswlm 7.sf 8.op 9.tld 10.dn 11.lald 12.tb 13.fyeo 14.ge 15.mr 16.yolt 17.tnd 18.avtak 19.sp 20.twine 21.qos 22.tmwtgg 23.daf 24.dad
    Firemass wrote:

BGs who are ordinary (Not CIA / KGB / MI6 / direct member of the gang) and generally innocent - Honey Rider, Domino, Tracey, Melina, Kara, Natalya, Jones, Solange, and Swann ..... Stacey character has not been acted / presented as well as some of the others so I would not be surprised if she be among the not-so popular BGs :)
  • heartbroken_mr_draxheartbroken_mr_drax New Zealand Posts: 2,073MI6 Agent
    Firemass wrote:

Great points Firemass. I have no problem with Stacey Sutton, infact I love the cast of AVTAK - Moore, Walken, Jones and Macnee are all on top form. -{

Agreed.

"And I thought that creep loved me!!!"
    1. TWINE 2. FYEO 3. MR 4. TLD 5. TSWLM 6. OHMSS 7. DN 8. OP 9. AVTAK 10. TMWTGG 11. QoS 12. GE 13. CR 14. TB 15. FRWL 16. TND 17. LTK 18. GF 19. SF 20. LaLD 21. YOLT 22. NTTD 23. DAD 24. DAF. 25. SP

"Better make that two."
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,596MI6 Agent
    Firemass wrote:

When you talk about all of her strong points, she seems a lot more likeable.
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
    am747 wrote:
    BGs who are ordinary (Not CIA / KGB / MI6 / direct member of the gang) and generally innocent - Honey Rider, Domino, Tracey, Melina, Kara, Natalya, Jones, Solange, and Swann .....

I would say most of those ARE direct members of the gang, even though they might be innocent.

Domino - Villain's girlfriend
    Tracey - Villain's daughter
    Kara - Villain's girlfriend
    Solange- Villain's girlfriend
    Swann - Villain's daughter

Honey is generally innocent, except she is more of a fantasy type character with her white bikini and knife. Not an ordinary 9-5 girl who gets all flustered after being fired at work.

Melina kills people with a cross bow. Not exactly the "girl next door"

I still think Stacey is unique in the sense of being realistic and ordinary.
    My current 10 favorite:

• Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,596MI6 Agent
    Firemass wrote:

Draco is not a villain. Though he is a crime boss, he is not Bond's enemy in any way. Columbo is a similar character (on Bond's side but has questionable morals), and Bond sleeps with his mistress.
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
    Matt S wrote:
    he is not Bond's enemy in any way.

I considered that and I do agree to an extent. However, Draco was the one dispatching thugs to get Bond in the PTS, hotel room, and then abducting him. All the fight scenes in the first half of the film were against Draco's men.

Plus, Draco knows where Blofeld is. Maybe even does business with him. Not your average guy.
    My current 10 favorite:

• TheundeadkennedyTheundeadkennedy Posts: 292MI6 Agent
    This is my most current list. It's definitely an ever evolving ranking and it certainly has changed a lot over the last few years. I'll see if Spectre ends up somewhere else after a couple more viewings.

1. SF
    2. FRWL
    3. OHMSS
    4. YOLT
    5. CR
    6. DN
    7. GF
    8. TLD
    9. TB
    10. GE
    11. QoS
    12. SP
    13. OP
    15. TSWLM
    16. TMWTGG
    17. LTK
    18. DAF
    19. FYEO
    20. LALD
    edited December 2015
    Firemass wrote:
    am747 wrote:
    BGs who are ordinary (Not CIA / KGB / MI6 / direct member of the gang) and generally innocent - Honey Rider, Domino, Tracey, Melina, Kara, Natalya, Jones, Solange, and Swann .....

I would say most of those ARE direct members of the gang, even though they might be innocent.

Domino - Villain's girlfriend
    Kara - Villain's girlfriend
    Solange- Villain's girlfriend
    Swann - Villain's daughter

Honey is generally innocent, except she is more of a fantasy type character with her white bikini and knife. Not an ordinary 9-5 girl who gets all flustered after being fired at work.

Melina kills people with a cross bow. Not exactly the "girl next door"

I still think Stacey is unique in the sense of being realistic and ordinary.

If we are trying to establish a connection, Stacey was connected to Zorin through business, iirc (don't see AVTAK much so a little hard to recollect) .... That is one of the reasons she could give Bond information

Melina was trying to avenge her parents death. That is what she explained to Bond and that Greek women avenge for their loved ones

Natalya worked with Boris who was a bad guy

Kara probably knew Koskav as someone in Russian military and not as a villain

And so on

So the characters are somehow connected to bad guys .... Most of the girls on the list are as or nearly as "innocent" as Stacey. And there appears to be little doubt over characters such as Jones. Therefore, if have to view Stacey as innocent, there are other candidates as well :)
  • WadsyWadsy Auckland, New ZealandPosts: 410MI6 Agent
    edited December 2015
    Interesting discussion from the posts above for sure...
    I would have to agree with the 80's being the best decade for Bond, followed closely by the 60's, then this decade.
    This is my top ten, probably polarising, but I love these films...

1. For Your Eyes Only [1981]
    2. On Her Majesty's Secret Service [1969]
    3. The Living Daylights [1987]
    4. From Russia With Love [1963]
    5. Spectre [2015]
    6. Licence To Kill [1989]
    7. The Spy Who Loved Me [1977]
    8. A View To A Kill [1985]
    9. Skyfall [2012]
    10. Dr No [1962]

Honourable Mentions: Goldfinger and Octopussy
    1. FYEO 2. OHMSS 3. LTK 4. FRWL 5. TLD 6. TSWLM 7. GF 8. AVTAK 9. MR 10. DN 11. SF 12. LALD 13. TB 14. OP 15. CR 16. GE 17. YOLT 18. TMWTGG 19. SP 20. TND 21. TWINE 22. QOS 23. NTTD 24. DAF 25. DAD 26. NSNA 27. CR '67

1. Dalton 2. Moore 3. Connery 4. Craig 5. Lazenby 6. Brosnan
    edited January 2016
    Deleted
    My first list for 2016:

1 - AVTAK (10/10)
    2 - LTK (10/10)
    3 - OP (10/10)
    4 - LALD (10/10)
    5 - FYEO (9.5/10)
    6 - SF (9.5/10)
    7 - GE (9/10)
    8 - OHMSS (9/10)
    9 - DN (8.5/10)
    10 - DAF (8.5/10)
    11 - SP (8.5/10)
    12 - TMWTGG (8.5/10)
    13 - TSWLM (8/10)
    14 - TLD (8/10)
    15 - MR (7.5/10)
    16 - YOLT (7.5/10)
    17 - GF (7/10)
    18 - QOS (7/10)
    19 - DAD (7/10)
    20 - FRWL (6.5/10)
    21 - TND (6.5/10)
    22 - TWINE (6.5/10)
    23 - TB (6.5/10)
    24 - CR (6/10)

• ThunderRakerThunderRaker Posts: 40MI6 Agent
    edited January 2016
    My list has recently gone through quite a lot of change:

1. You Only Live Twice
    2. The Spy Who Loved Me
    3. Casino Royale
    4. On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    5. SkyFall
    6. Licence To Kill
    7. For Your Eyes Only
    8. From Russia With Love
    9. The Living Daylights
    10. Goldfinger
    11. GoldenEye
    12. A View To A Kill
    13. SPECTRE
    14. Moonraker
    15. Octopussy
    16. Dr. No
    17. The World Is Not Enough
    18. Tomorrow Never Dies
    19. Die Another Day
    20. Thunderball
    21. Diamonds Are Forever
    22. Live And Let Die
    23. The Man with the Golden Gun
    24. Quantum Of Solace

If Never Say Never Again is included, it would go right after DAF, at # 22
    1. TLD 2. CR 3. OP 4. OHMSS 5. FYEO 6. AVTAK 7. TSWLM 8. GF 9. FRWL 10. SF 11. LTK 12. TB 13. QOS 14. YOLT 15. LALD 16. DN 17. TWINE 18. GE 19. TND 20. MR 21. TMWTGG 22. SP 23. DAF 24. NSNA 25. DAD
    1. Roger 2. Timmy 3. Connery 4. Craig 5. George 6. Pierce
    2 lists for 2016 but pls also care to mention what has changed since the last list? :D