Fantastic Four

124»

Comments

• TonyDPTonyDP Inside the MonolithPosts: 4,282MI6 Agent
    Alex wrote:
    I would've thought something as big as Batman would score Barry Rogue's house mortgage! (or at least a second bank account in Geneva)

:D

Not quite Alex. In addition to supporting Batman, Barry would also have to publicly condemn Superman Returns and call Bryan Singer the antichrist before witnesses. If he did that, Rogue would probably buy him a new house. :D
  • Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    Having said that, I also have to had I am not a big fan of "superhero" movies so my opinion is probably not the fairest.
    What is it about them that doesn't appeal to you?
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
  • Barry NelsonBarry Nelson ChicagoPosts: 1,508MI6 Agent
    Dan Same wrote:
    Having said that, I also have to had I am not a big fan of "superhero" movies so my opinion is probably not the fairest.
    What is it about them that doesn't appeal to you?

I have trouble buying into the superpower thing. Hard for me to believe a spider bite turns you into Spiderman. Which is why I do like Batman, because he has no superpowers, just his strength, wits and handy inventions for rapeling etc.

I know many folks love them, just doesn't work for me. One of my many limitations I suppose.
  • RogueAgentRogueAgent Speeding in the Tumbler...Posts: 3,676MI6 Agent
    :)) :)) :)) LMAO!

Barry, you gave me quite a turn there; I suppose you owning up to liking Batman shook me back into coherence. So you're okay with me. Just have to broaden your horizons some like Tony said.

I do find it slightly funny that you don't care for the genre as much as most of the guys here yet we all frequent a site where the character in question is a superhero in a tux and not a cape. :))

Yes, one can play on words all he/she likes but James Bond is indeed a superhero; I've got an invisible car and a laser gun to back that up. :))
    Mrs. Man Face: "You wouldn't hit a lady? Would you?"

Batman: "The Hammer Of Justice is UNISEX!"
    -Batman: The Brave & The Bold -
    Harry Knowles put up a very positive review of FF#2. I'm not sure if that's good or bad but here's a link:

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/33012
  • AlexAlex The Eastern SeaboardPosts: 2,694MI6 Agent
    I'll probably see it for the Silver Surfer, my sister used to be his biggest fan. She'd also go New Mutants and Alpha Flight, and I'd be into my EPIC magazine. ;%

Anyway, old news, but the issue of Filmfax out now has a good piece on FF, (and a rather large article on Batwoman)
  • Barry NelsonBarry Nelson ChicagoPosts: 1,508MI6 Agent
    Curious what the fans here think of the movie when they see it. I read several reviews today, all of which were negative.
    Curious what the fans here think of the movie when they see it. I read several reviews today, all of which were negative.

My brother and I will hopefully see it tomorrow; so I'll be sure to let you know what we think.

As to the negative reviews, I poked around on Rotten Tomatoes and most of the negative reviews I saw there simply took the film to task for being another lightweight summer popcorn movie. All I can say to that is .. Well Duh! That's what most summer flicks are all about. As far as I'm concerned, that's all I'm really looking for. After a hard week at work, a well paced movie with some good action and nice eye candy is fine by me. If FF#2 can deliver on those counts, I'll have gotten my money's worth.
    I saw this with my brother earlier today. We both enjoyed the movie and think it's far superior to the the first movie.

The first half hour is a little weak and I could have done without some of the "celebrity" scenes. Also, not to be outdone by emo-Spiderman, Mr. Fantastic gets his own little dance number. It all starts out a bit goofy but in all fairness, that was also a big part of the comics.

The Silver Surfer is realized quite well. His origin is very close to the comics and his appearance, movement, and overall "performance" are all very slick. The Surfer is one of Jack Kirby's more striking creations and it would have been very easy for a silver man on a surfboard to come across as silly, but luckily the character's nobility comes thru. The relationships between all the characters, especially Ben and Johnny are also handled quite well.

At only 90 minutes, the movie goes by pretty quickly, a welcome surprise after the two and a half hour angst-fest that was Spiderman III.

As I mentioned before, it's a fast, flashy summer popcorn flick; and on that level it succeeds, IMHO. Spectreisland concurs with all of the above and even mentioned wanting to see it again on the big screen.
    edited June 2007
    Me and my son just got back from seeing FF2 and I must say that it was fully PACKED.

What a fun film this was. It was entertaining enough that I could look over a couple of flaws that it had and just enjoy a good popcorn flick.

What I love about the FF films are that they don't take themselves too seriously to the point where they should be on tier with The English Patient and have some sort of intricate meaning that only the director and a few viewing coneheads only get. It knows it's a comic book movie and nothing more.
    Sometimes pro critics can suck and it's clear to me that they can't seem to separate "what is?" and "what shouldn't". This movie clearly doesn't deserve the berating it's been getting on certain sites.

I strongly suggest you all check it out, hopefully you won't be disappointed. I wasn't and my son felt redeemed after losing a little faith in SM3. ;)

Superman Returns & Spider-Man 3 should take note of this and follow suit.

BTW, the Stan Lee cameo was hilarious! :))

• LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,992Quartermasters
    Glad to hear it! My whole family enjoyed the first one, and we're looking forward to this one :)
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
    Glad to hear it! My whole family enjoyed the first one, and we're looking forward to this one :)

I can assure you, Loeff that they'll love the second one; it's much improved.

And people actually clapped by the end. Haven't seen that done in awhile...

According to Boxofficemojo, FF2 took in nearly 23 million on Friday alone; if it can main that pace it should easily surpass 50 million over the weekend. I'm glad that the audiences seem to be ignoring this movie's critical drubbing; as Rogue says, it's really way off base and largely undeserved.
    edited June 2007
    Does it matter that I haven't seen the first film. I love superhero films, and as this one sounds like it's pretty good, I'll definitely be seeing it. However I haven't seen the first film (although I know the basic plot.) I don't need to see the first film before I see FF 2 do I?
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
    Dan Same wrote:
    Does it matter that I haven't seen the first film. I love superhero films, and as this one sounds like it's pretty good, I'll definitely be seeing it. However I haven't seen the first film (although I know the basic plot.) I don't need to see the first film before I see FF 2 do I?

Well, it wouldn't hurt you to be caught up to speed but if you don't care to see the first one before the sequel, it won't dampen your experience much if at all.
    I'd advise that you do watch the first one though. :)

edited June 2007
    RogueAgent wrote:
    Well, it wouldn't hurt you to be caught up to speed but if you don't care to see the first one before the sequel, it won't dampen your experience much if at all.
    Thanks. Hopefully, the first film will be shown on TV (probably not) or it will be available at University. Truth be told, I would rather not hire it out. Anyway, I am looking forward to FF 2. Out of curiousity (and I know this is a weird question coming from someone who has never read the comics :D) but is it faithful to the comics?
    Dan Same wrote:
    RogueAgent wrote:
    Thanks. Hopefully, the first film will be shown on TV (probably not) or it will be available at University. Truth be told, I would rather not hire it out. Anyway, I am looking forward to FF 2. Out of curiousity (and I know this is a weird question coming from someone who has never read the comics :D) but is it faithful to the comics?

I haven't read FF in years, but from what I remember it is pretty faithful to the books. The relationships between the characters are about right, the origin and look of the Silver Surfer is right from the comics, and even a lot of the locations and hardware (ie: the Baxter Building, Doom's castle in Latveria, and the Fantasticar) are from the books too. Dr. Doom was a major departure from his 4 color counterpart in the first film; but this time around he is much closer both in terms of his schemes and, when he dons the mask and hood, appearance.
    edited June 2007
    Well according to Box Office Mojo, FF2 has pulled in a hefty 57.4 million dollars at the box office this weekend. Not really small potatoes if you're looking to retort those numbers with say...the staggering draw of Spider-Man 3? That would be a little like apples and oranges.

IMO, I call that a successful weekend for this type of film.

Also, the Galactus thing was not what a staunch comic fan like my self would've expected but it wasn't abandoned totally. There were slight instances where you could see something...

GalactusOutlline.jpg

RogueAgent wrote:
    Well according to Box Office Mojo, FF2 has pulled in a hefty 57.4 million dollars at the box office this weekend. Not really small potatoes if you're looking to retort those numbers with say...the staggering draw of Spider-Man 3? That would be a little like apples and oranges.

Also, the Galactus thing was not what a staunch comic fan like my self would've expected but it wasn't abandoned totally. There were slight instances where you could see something...

Comparing FF2 to SM3 is somewhat apples and oranges. I view the FF movies as somewhat more modest affairs; they're lightweight fun, they know it and they don't apologize for being what they are. The SM movies on the other hand take themselves very seriously (too seriously if you ask me) and lay on the drama and pathos really thick.

As for Galactus, while I was disappointed that we never saw old giant antler head, I was glad that the movie left his real form vague. Also Rogue, did you catch the scene when Galactus's shadow passes by Saturn? You could definitely make out the form of his head with the antlers ... just enough of a tease to keep old school fanboys like me happy.
    edited June 2007
    TonyDP wrote:
    RogueAgent wrote:

Comparing FF2 to SM3 is somewhat apples and oranges. I view the FF movies as somewhat more modest affairs; they're lightweight fun, they know it and they don't apologize for being what they are. The SM movies on the other hand take themselves very seriously (too seriously if you ask me) and lay on the drama and pathos really thick.

As for Galactus, while I was disappointed that we never saw old giant antler head, I was glad that the movie left his real form vague. Also Rogue, did you catch the scene when Galactus's shadow passes by Saturn? You could definitely make out the form of his head with the antlers ... just enough of a tease to keep old school fanboys like me happy.

Are you kidding? The Purple Death? Yeah I saw it and was giggling as if I were a kid again to see that. :))

galactusdv0.gif

My son also said that he saw Galactus's hands crushing a world as Surfer is describing him to Sue but I must've been reaching for the popcorn then.

Alright, it's probably a forgone conclusion that there will be a third; do you think that they'll finally have Sub-Mariner in the next installment with that subtle line at the end? Mole Man perhaps?

Also, I thought that Surfer would interact with Alicia Masters like he did back in the comics?

I kid you not, guys, I'm a hard guy to please when it comes to films of this nature but there was no pressure in just enjoying this picture. Although there were some instances where I had to question the PG - rating...

edited June 2007
    Funny you mention "giggling like you were a kid" as that was pretty much my brother's reaction to the movie; in many ways its look is a throwback to those 70's FF comics I used to read.

As to a sequel, we'll have to wait and see if this one has legs and how much of a drop-off it suffers in its second and subsequent weeks. If there is a sequel, I hope that everybody returns, with the possible exception of Jessica Alba who, while very hot, still leaves me a little neutral as Sue Storm. She is by no means bad in the part, but if she decided to move on I wouldn't be heartbroken.

Assuming there is a sequel, they could go in any number of ways: Mole Man, Namor; I wouldn't even rule out an appearance by The Inhumans or a visit to the Microverse.

Regardless of who we get in the sequel, I have a feeling Doom will probably play a part as well as his final fate was quite vague and left the door open for another return. By the end of the movie, McMahon is finally starting to look and act more like the classic Doom in this one. If he does make a return, I hope he is once again scarred and has lost his cosmic powers. And he'd better start referring to himself in the third person.

Assuming our parents don't have any plans for us, the bro and I might go check FF#2 out again tomorrow.
  • Agent_MAgent_M lost in the speed forcePosts: 353MI6 Agent
    I saw it this weekend and thought it was o.k., fair enough its not BB but not bad as just a pop-corn movie. I think galactus could have been a techno swarm as in the ultimate comics but apart from that not bad at all. This is also the only comic movie my wife dragged me to see!
    Purvis,Wade...........GRRRRRRRR!

www.scottacademymartialarts.co.uk
  • General_OurumovGeneral_Ourumov United KingdomPosts: 861MI6 Agent
    Heard the film is starting to get more positive reviews and some generally good feedback, which shocks me!

Though I'll reserve judgement until after I've seen it. The first one did not impress in any area.
  • XeniaXenia 2nd star to the right, straighPosts: 28MI6 Agent
    This movie was okay, not the best of the bunch from CB adaptions but not too shabby.

It does have some problems, hated Jessica Alba's wig. The storyline was a tad too one dimensional but then again, so was Tim Story's 'Catwoman'. The film seemed more geared to a much younger audience, like 8-12 years old, it was very PG. The one personal comment, and it isn't nice... Throughout the whole movie, I kept thinking about Alba's temper tantrum in Vancouver while it FF2 was being filmed, her throwing her computer off a balcony and hitting an old woman. Sometimes reading Vancouver entertainment news just doesn't help. Heh.

And the plus's. Awesome Silver Surfer loved SS's voice, hehe and the FX was fantastic, though the Galatica (sic) effects were a bit weird. But then again, never read the comics, only watched FF when I was a kid on TV.

If I had to rate this movie, it will be a 6.5 out of 10.
  • XeniaXenia 2nd star to the right, straighPosts: 28MI6 Agent
    And that reminds me, since I'm too lazy to write a quick blurb, will copy the article. Thanks emovie news. (pretty decent site too)

Silver Surfer spinoff already in the works?

Fox’s sequel Fantastic Four:Rise of the Silver Surfer hits the big screen this weekend. With a running time of 1 hour and 29 minutes and it opening up in 3,800+ theaters, it’s easy to guess it will win this weekend’s box office report and make a good amount of cash.

It seems Fox studios is already expecting that profit. The LA Times published a news story today saying that Fox has already greenlit pre production work on a movie dedicated to the Silver Surfer.

No official confirmation has been given by the parties and I bet they won’t confirm it until after the box office receipts come rolling in this weekend.

Still, this is what appeared in the LA Times; Thanks EMovie News
    Feeling bullish on the eve of the release of its “Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer,” Fox has already put a feature spinoff into development that will star the enigmatic Surfer, with J. Michael Straczynski currently crafting the screenplay.

A longtime writer of television science fiction on “The Twilight Zone” and “Babylon 5,” Straczynski has also spent much of the last few years writing for Marvel Comics on properties like “Amazing Spider-Man” and “Thor” (also in development with a Mark Protosevich screenplay and “Layer Cake’s” Matthew Vaughn reportedly negotiating to direct).
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,992Quartermasters
    edited June 2007
    Saw FF: Rise of the Silver Surfer with my boys this afternoon...and had a lot of fun :)

Frankly, I don't understand how someone could dislike the first one, and then like this one---or vice-versa---save for the fact that the first was saddled with the duties of an origin story. Both pictures are quick, light, easy fun (and both too easily resolved, IMO), but they have a very healthy self-awareness of what they're about, and their goals are correspondingly modest: Good summer fun at the movies.

I'm not crazy about Julian McMahon's Doom this time round...but then, I wasn't crazy about him last time, either. He should be older, and more...Latverian ?:)

Best Stan Lee cameo ever B-)

Loeff Jr and Loeff III also recommend it highly.
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM