Mathis

2»

Comments

• GrishenkoGrishenko Posts: 45MI6 Agent
    I don't suspect Mathis. Although I am unable to solve the various ambiguities raised in the preceding posts, I will agree that LeChiffre was just trying to frame Mathis. If he told Bond it was Vesper, he'd have one less bargaining chip in extracting the password.

There is really no evidence to say for sure whether Mathis is a friend or a traitor. There is nothing LeChiffre knows that he couldn't have found out from Vesper. We never see Vesper acknowledging the chip in Bond's arm, but we never have reason to believe Mathis knows either. Vesper might simply have been briefed about it, similar to Bond: don't worry about reporting, we'll know where you are.

Besides what LeChiffre tells Bond, the only evidence we have against Mathis, as I said in an eariler post, is those suspicious sunglasses he wears at the end - hardly convincing. In fact, if Mathis is a bad guy, why would the writers and producers leave any ambiguity at all? It wouldn't make sense or serve any purpose to leave it unsettled if he is, after all, a traitor.

I've noticed a lot of people predicting his return and death in the subsequent film. I can't say I disagree with that prediction. If he is on Bond's side, as I think he is, he will likely return in the next film. However, he doesn't quite serve the purpose of a long-lived Bond ally as well as Felix Leiter, who will surely have a larger roll in the near future...
  • SolarisSolaris Blackpool, UKPosts: 308MI6 Agent
    I need this clearing up for me, what happened to Mathis when he was talking to Bond in the Hospital garden? I thought he was shot? or drugged? or did I dream that whole bit?

And why do people say Vesper was working for LeChiffre? I always thought that Vesper was working for someone much higher in the organisation that him. she was most likely told not to let Bond back into the game. but I also truely believe that Le Chiffre had little idea that she was working for whatever organisation he was part of.

Mathis however I believe, if he "was" a traitor then I believe he only worked for Le Chiffre and not the shadowey organisation he was part of.
    maybe, Like Vesper he was only half traitor, oh I don't know. . .

Solaris
  • highhopeshighhopes Posts: 1,358MI6 Agent
    Solaris wrote:
    I need this clearing up for me, what happened to Mathis when he was talking to Bond in the Hospital garden? I thought he was shot? or drugged? or did I dream that whole bit?

And why do people say Vesper was working for LeChiffre? I always thought that Vesper was working for someone much higher in the organisation that him. she was most likely told not to let Bond back into the game. but I also truely believe that Le Chiffre had little idea that she was working for whatever organisation he was part of.

Mathis however I believe, if he "was" a traitor then I believe he only worked for Le Chiffre and not the shadowey organisation he was part of.
    maybe, Like Vesper he was only half traitor, oh I don't know. . .

Solaris

The MI6 guys who grabbed him hit him with a stun gun to immobilize him, a device that hit you with a non-lethal charge of electricity.

As for Vesper, I suspect she was working for LeChiffre, but then made a deal with Mr. White when he arrived to assassinate LeChiffre that she would deliver the money to him if he let Bond live. Mr. White would have needed both alive to get at the movie anyway, since she had the account number and Bond the password
  • taitytaity Posts: 702MI6 Agent
    Eva Green said there was more on who Vesper was working for in the next movie. If thats the case, Mathis hopefully will be cleared.

When I found out he was evil in the movie, it felt like sacriligeto me - as if finding out that Kerim Bey was really SPECTRE 4, and in on the whole thing
  • Snake EyesSnake Eyes Posts: 1MI6 Agent
    Would it not be conceiveable that Vesper just tells Bond that Mathis sent her a message, so Bond did not get suspicious? She could hardly say 'Yeah, Le Chiffre wants to see me!'.
    Once she meets Le Chiffre, she tells him that she told Bond it was Mathis who contacted her. Therefore when Le Chiffre 'collects' Bond and tells him it was Mathis, he really meant it was him. Sorry if thats confusing!