1. Pierce Brosnan
    2. Timothy Dalton
    3. Roger Moore
    4. Sean Connery
    5. George Lazenby

Wheres Draig gonna fall in that list?
  • Klaus HergescheimerKlaus Hergescheimer Posts: 332MI6 Agent
    edited May 2006
    I've changed my rankings a lot over the years. After some extensive evaluations and thought, I have arrived at these (somewhat unorthodox) rankings, which I consider final:

1. Timothy Dalton
    2. Pierce Brosnan
    3. Sean Connery
    4. Roger Moore
    5. George Lazenby

I will explain these rankings later, when I have more time.

I will rank Craig after I have seen his portrayal.
  • Jimmy BondJimmy Bond Posts: 324MI6 Agent
    1. Sean Connery
    2. Timothy Dalton
    3. Pierce Brosnan
    4. George Lazenby
    5. Roger Moore

Dalton and Brosnan are essentially 2, together, so they can often change places. They're the greatest after Sean. Lazenby did extremely well on his one off (could've been better than Dalton, also, had he done another one). Best debut, yet not quite... He left afterwards, so it is just that: A one off. And Moore, as Willie said before, he didn't take the role too seriously at times and that shows... He is not overtly convincing with women, and not too convincing at times (at times, mind you).

I wish Moore played Bond the way he did on FYEO, OP and TSWLM, all over. The rest were very mixed... Moore as a character, though, rocks!

And Connery... Well, best of the best, top of the top. Five of seven Bond performances were perfect. Some of the series' best.
  • Brosnan_fanBrosnan_fan Sydney, AustraliaPosts: 521MI6 Agent
    First off, I don't consider the Bond actors to be better or worse than one another; they all have their own style. Having said that:

1. Pierce Brosnan - throughout his four films he displayed a quick yet evident maturation in the role. His interpretation of Bond was in equal turns cool, caring and up to the challenge - all when they were required.

Note he is a widower in real life and that only helps him identify with Bond.

2. Timothy Dalton - in my opinion he was quite underrated as Bond. He showed in Licence to Kill he took the job seriously and that film is a personal favourite of mine. It is a pity he did not carry on with at least a couple more films.

3. Roger Moore - very likeable with his light-hearted approach to the role. I felt he could have done without some of the bad puns, but he was warm and humourous.

And who could ever forget his battles with Jaws, wonderfully played by Richard Kiel?

4. Sean Connery - okay, I was born after his time so forgive me if I think Connery is a little, well, "stiff". He is undoubtedly a good actor and in spite of his impressive career I think his concerns about him being forever identified as James Bond were well founded.

5. George Lazenby - I actually like On Her Majesty's Secret Service and I think it's better than some other series entries. My analysis is Lazenby was an unknown face at the time and one can only wonder what his career would have been like had he made some more Bond films.
    "Well, he certainly left with his tails between his legs."
  • IAMBONDIAMBOND Posts: 11MI6 Agent
    Im new so but i know a lot bout JB.
    :D
    Heres my list:
    1) Peirce Brosnan
    2)Peirce Brosnan
    3) Sean Connery
    4) Roger Morre
    5) Timmothy Dalton
    STOP!!

10,000)George Lazenby
    Stop!:D
    100,000) Daniel Craig
  • kannangakannanga Posts: 1MI6 Agent
    1,Roger Moore
    2,Sean Connery
    3,Timothy Dalton
    4,David Niven
    Sorry cant have Brosnan and Lazenby as JB is supposed to be a British agent and these 2 are not British.
    Does it really matter? All that matters is that they played as James Bond.

I like Brosnan because he was the bomb, He's got looks, he's just right and he's got the voice.
  • SatinSatin Posts: 5MI6 Agent
    My top five in order to the worse Bond ever

1.Pierce Brosnan
    2.Roger Moore
    3.Timothy Dalton
    4.Sean Connery
    5.George Lazenby

I couldn`t take to George Lazenby as Bond. For some reason he just didn`t hits it with me, his acting was lousy.
  • jboyjboy Posts: 42MI6 Agent
    1. Sean Connery
    2. Timothy Dalton.
    3/4 joint. Roger Moore and Pierce Brosnan
    5. George Lazenby

I'll agree with this...
  • highhopeshighhopes Posts: 1,358MI6 Agent
    edited May 2006
    1. Sean Connery
    2-5. Who cares?

One of the reasons I think I like Craig's casting is precisely that he won't look and act like the typical Bond actor, all of whom I view as attempts to clone Connery with varying degrees of success.
  • Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    highhopes wrote:
    1. Sean Connery
    2-5. Who cares?

One of the reasons I think I like Craig's casting is precisely that he won't look and act like the typical Bond actor, all of whom I view as attempts to clone Connery with varying degrees of success.
    I don't agree about Craig, but I do agree about the list. Although I loved both Brosnan and Moore, I don't think that anybody could ever be as good as Connery.
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
    Hows that?

Just because all those other actors didnt play 7 movies dosent mean they arent good... -{
  • Pierce_BrosnanPierce_Brosnan Posts: 329MI6 Agent
    IAMBOND wrote:
    Hows that?

Just because all those other actors didnt play 7 movies dosent mean they arent good... -{

You got that wrong moore DID play seven movies!
    edited June 2006
    IAMBOND wrote:
    Hows that?

My reason for thinking Connery was the best has nothing to do with how many films he made. ;)
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
  • James F EJames F E Posts: 140MI6 Agent
    1) Connery - The original is the best, 'nuff said
    2) Lazenby - great action... he would have done great
    3) Dalton - close to Fleming's ..
    4) Brosnan - growing into role
    5) Moore... until 21, then he's #6
  • JBFannaticJBFannatic Posts: 1MI6 Agent
    1. Pierce Brosnan
    2. Sean Connery
    3. Roger Moore
    4. Timothy Dalton
    5. Georgle Lazenby

1000. Daniel Craig
    A blond Bond? What's up with that?

Rating Brosnan and Connery took me forever. They're both fantastic Bonds. -{
  • Krassno GranitskiKrassno Granitski USAPosts: 896MI6 Agent
    1. Sean Connery - Is James Bond

2. Timothy Dalton - Great actor. Terrific Bond. Too bad he only did two.
    3. George Lazenby - In my favorite Bond movie, did a great job. Would have grown into the role.
    4. Roger Moore - Hard to say really. I like, dislike, and am indifferent to too many of his movies.
    5. Pierce Brosnan - Average at best. Not at all what I have in mind when I try to picture Bond.
    4. Roger Moore - Hard to say really. I like, dislike, and am indifferent to too many of his movies.

Well ya i thought the same thing -{
  • ElizabethElizabeth Posts: 6MI6 Agent
    1.Sean Connery
    2.Roger Moore
    3.Timothy Dalton
    4.Pierce Brosnan
    5.George Lazenby
  • JennyFlexFanJennyFlexFan Posts: 1,497MI6 Agent
    1. Pierce Brosnan
    2. Sean Connery/Roger Moore
    4. George Lazenby
    5. Me
    6. Jenny Flex - Alison Doody
    7. Pan Ho - Papillon Soo
    8. May Day - Grace Jones
    9. Christopher Walken
    10. The Train Driver from GE
    11. Koskov - Jeroen Krabbe
    12. Someone who isn't Dalton
    13-1000. Other people who aren't Dalton
    1001. Timothy Dalton
  • wordswords Buckinghamshire, EnglandPosts: 249MI6 Agent
    1. Pierce Brosnan
    4. George Lazenby
    5. Me
    7. Pan Ho - Papillon Soo
    8. May Day - Grace Jones
    9. Christopher Walken
    1001. Timothy Dalton

You're a hard man (woman!) JFF! I hope Timothy Dalton isn't too sensitive.

I have two lists - one is the actor's who were technically the best at playing Bond and another which is the order in which I personally enjoyed
    them most:

Technically Personally

1. Connery 1. Moore
    2. Brosnan 2. Connery
    3. Dalton 3. Dalton
    4. Moore 4. Brosnan
    5. Lazenby 5. Lazenby
    I've changed my list, (JFF you may be interested in this) as I have now switched Dalton and Lazenby around. Connery, Brosnan and Moore (in that order) are still my three favourite Bonds, but now Lazenby is my fourth favourite Bond and Dalton is my fifth favourite Bond.

1)Sean Connery
    The perfect Bond, unequalled in every way. Suave, witty, ruthless, dangerous. Connery is and always will be Bond to me.

2)Pierce Brosnan
    The best Bond since Connery. He was enormously suave and was capable of being extremely ruthless. I feel that with at least 2 of his films, he was let down by the writing. Nonetheless GE was IMO one of the 10 best films of all time while TWINE was fantastic in its own way. I also believe that Brosnan was let down by his era as he wasn't given sufficient time to indulge his ruthless side; a side that he indulged in at least 3 scenes to terrific effect but would have indulged more if he had played Bond in a less PC era.

3)Roger Moore
    The most underappreciated Bond by far. It is true that Moore was perhaps the most inconsistent Bond (his best film is 6th on my list, his worst is 21st) but he was nonetheless a brilliant Bond who as time goes by will surely get the recognition he deserves. Alright let's clear up some myths: he was cool as represented by the alligator scene. He might have been the least tough of the 5 Bonds but he could still kick the butt of many people. He was ruthless, greatly so, as evidenced by his behaviour in LALD, TMWTGG, TSWLM and FYEO. He did exhibit a fun side but he did not exhibit self-parody. Also, while it might be true that Fleming purists might not like him, there is no reason why Bond purists can't like him, for he brilliantly represented the very best of (cinematic) Bond: Suaveness and ruthlessness. One quibble though. He should have retired after OP.

4.George Lazenby
    Although he made just one film, Lazenby was still IMO a superior Bond than Dalton. That said, I don't agree with people that Lazenby's performance was pretty good considering it was his first acting job. The truth is, I think it would have been terrible regardless. My biggest regret was that Connery didn't do OHMSS. If he had, OHMSS IMO could have gone from a great film to one of the absolute best Bond films ever made. For IMO Lazenby's performance was absolutely dreadful. With two exceptions: the final scene, which he handled with great skill and his tremendous physicality. Other than that, I have nothing but thanks that Lazenby didn't sign on for another Bond film. Oh and that he was at least better than Dalton. ;)

5.Timothy Dalton
    A good actor but a terrible Bond. I don't believe that he was let down by bad scripts or poor direction. Rather, I believe that his films were let down by him. He was dour, constantly cold and did not realise that while Bond has a licence to kill, he's also a gentleman. My second biggest regret (see above for my biggest regret) in regards to the Bond films was that Dalton was allowed to play Bond. That said, Dalton is still my least favourite Bond. In my ideal world anybody else, but particularly Brosnan, would have done both TLD and LTK. Particularly LTK, which I believe could have been a great Bond film if Dalton hadn't played Bond. I appreciate that Dalton has a wide following here, but (unlike with Lazenby) I cannot find any redeeming features about Dalton's tenure as Bond.
    Very well put! Good defense of Roger as well, some people don't realize all the good points about him and focus just on the bad!
    Very well put! Good defense of Roger as well, some people don't realize all the good points about him and focus just on the bad!
    Thanks. I thought you would be interested as you're not exactly the world's biggest Dalton fan. :D
    words wrote:
    I have two lists - one is the actor's who were technically the best at playing Bond and another which is the order in which I personally enjoyed
    them most:

Technically Personally

1. Connery 1. Moore
    2. Brosnan 2. Connery
    3. Dalton 3. Dalton
    4. Moore 4. Brosnan
    5. Lazenby 5. Lazenby
    The actors whom I consider to technically be the best at playing Bond and whom I personally enjoyed the most are the same:
    1. Connery
    2. Brosnan
    3. Moore
    4. Lazenby
    5. Dalton

I can not separate the two as my personal preference of each actor is related to (IMO) their ability to play Bond.
  • Klaus HergescheimerKlaus Hergescheimer Posts: 332MI6 Agent
    Dan Same wrote:

I can not separate the two as my personal preference of each actor is related to (IMO) their ability to play Bond.

You mean, your subjective evaluation of their ability to play Bond.
    words wrote:
    1. Pierce Brosnan
    4. George Lazenby
    5. Me
    7. Pan Ho - Papillon Soo
    8. May Day - Grace Jones
    9. Christopher Walken
    1001. Timothy Dalton

You're a hard man (woman!) JFF! I hope Timothy Dalton isn't too sensitive.

them most:

Technically Personally

1. Connery 1. Moore
    2. Brosnan 2. Connery
    3. Dalton 3. Dalton
    4. Moore 4. Brosnan
    5. Lazenby 5. Lazenby
    So how many people exactly thought I was a woman.