Thunderball

00640064 Somewhere out west...Posts: 1,083MI6 Agent
Maybe I'm crazy, but I never realized how good this movie is. Here are 10 reasons why it could be called the best.

1.Sean Connery is well...at his best.

2.John Barry's score is fantastic.

3.Claudine Auger is just b-e-a-utiful and doesan excellent job as Domino.

4.The S.P.E.C.T.R.E meeting is very cool. When the agent is killed is one of the best scenes in the movie.

5.Adolfo Celi is every bit of what a villian should be. He even has an eye patch.

6.The locations are great. Whenever I watch this, I'll feel like I'm on a beach with Domino. :)

7.The underwater fight scene. Nothing more said.

8.The Disco Volante is one of the coolest boats ever.

9.The battle with Jaque Bouviet at the beginning of the movie.

10.Fiona Volpe is an excellent henchwoman, unlike frost. She reminds me of Xenia Onatopp.(or rather, the other way around).

Comments

• VampiressRNVampiressRN CaliforniaPosts: 203MI6 Agent
    Ditto on all you posted. Thunderball is my favorite Bond film. I love the under-water scenes and the music is great when they have the big fight.
  • Willie GarvinWillie Garvin Posts: 1,412MI6 Agent
    edited February 2006
    Ditto on all you posted. Thunderball is my favorite Bond film. I love the under-water scenes and the music is great when they have the big fight.

Me too for all of the reasons stated.The cast is superb as is the direction,storyline and screenplay(very close to the Fleming novel) along with the cinematography and memorable score.The best collection of women in the series,an incredible score, and with an all too believable plot only exaggerated slightly for the screen.

One of the finest films in the entire series.
  • ATrustATrust Posts: 7MI6 Agent
    This is my favorite Bond film because it so closely honored the original Fleming book, and all of the elements pulled together well. Just can't find fault with it.
  • emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,722MI6 Agent
    Great but very boring in places. The underwater bits in particular (notably the Vulcan theft) drag on forever. It's got Goldfinger's style but lacks the pace of the films which surround it.
  • spymx5spymx5 Posts: 7MI6 Agent
    Thunderball and Goldfinger are my favorites,When Thunderball came out in the theater i was in High School,I would go everyday after school to watch it,sometimes staying and watch it twice,I saw it ten times the first week it was out.....
  • Myk_Myk_ LondonPosts: 13MI6 Agent
    edited July 2019
    -Deleted-
  • KingdaddyJamesBondKingdaddyJamesBond Posts: 7MI6 Agent
    It is a good movie, but in my opinion not the best James Bond movie. The best in my opinion is Goldfinger.
  • baccaretbaccaret Posts: 61MI6 Agent
    I love thunderball for all the reasons mentioned,especially the bond girls. Domino and Fiona are the best on two punch in the series. I would put the movie in my to ten.
  • RJJBRJJB United StatesPosts: 346MI6 Agent
    Myk_ wrote:
    The film in my opinion, starts of excellent, and gradually declines. The end really does bother me, particuarly the bit where bond fights for control of the wheel of the boat, struggling with the enemy. Sort of reminds me of a charlie chaplin style comedy. Which is very silly in a Bond film.
    Plus, the red diving suit makes him look about as suave as a tellytubby.

The action had just taken place underwater. What did you expect him to wear?
  • taitytaity Posts: 702MI6 Agent
    RJJB wrote:
    The action had just taken place underwater. What did you expect him to wear?

I put my vote in for a sexy G string. Connery could have pulled it off and made it look manly.
  • Barry NelsonBarry Nelson ChicagoPosts: 1,508MI6 Agent
    This movie is in my top five, a wonderful movie which I enjoy greatly. A wonderful cast, the best group of women in any Bond movie. When was their ever a better female cast then, Molly Peters, Luciana Paluzzi, Claudine Auger and Martine Beswick...,superb.

Great action scenes, a plot I could follow and wonderful locales. I like the fact the majority of the movie takes place in the Bahamas. Some Bond movies we hop scotch around the globe so much the pace is dizzying.

One of my favorites and I wouldn't mind watching it right now. WOuld love to see it on the big screen.
    edited February 2006
    This movie is in my top five, a wonderful movie which I enjoy greatly. A wonderful cast, the best group of women in any Bond movie. When was their ever a better female cast then, Molly Peters, Luciana Paluzzi, Claudine Auger and Martine Beswick...,superb.

Great action scenes, a plot I could follow and wonderful locales. I like the fact the majority of the movie takes place in the Bahamas. Some Bond movies we hop scotch around the globe so much the pace is dizzying.

One of my favorites and I wouldn't mind watching it right now. WOuld love to see it on the big screen.

Thunderball and OHMSS are the two movies that more than any others in the series really demand a widescreen viewing. The scope of the action and the scenery are really enhanced on a theater screen. The scene in TB when SPECTRE sinks and camouflages the Vulcan underwater is pretty amazing. You get the feeling of being right in on the action.
  • 00640064 Somewhere out west...Posts: 1,083MI6 Agent
    I hope no one minds that I revive this. I just watched Thunderball again and realized that the locations are good as well. The choice of the Bahamas is an excellent one and I also think that there are several underrated scenes inthis movie. The most notable is the scene when Bond and another man fall into the pool and fight. Then the sharks come...classic. {[]
  • BondlikeBondlike Posts: 26MI6 Agent
    Great post 0064---IMO, Thunderball is superb for all the reasons you mention. Id say the main reason is an excellent performance by the best Bond---Connery at his most suave, tough, confident, etc.
  • VampiressRNVampiressRN CaliforniaPosts: 203MI6 Agent
    Wow....makes me wish the theaters would do a Bondathon.....I think they would fill every seat. And if the concession stand offered martinis, baluga caviar, pate, etc.......gheeez that would just be fabulous. :007)
  • Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    edited February 2006
    Me too for all of the reasons stated.The cast is superb as is the direction,storyline and screenplay(very close to the Fleming novel) along with the cinematography and memorable score.The best collection of women in the series,an incredible score, and with an all too believable plot only exaggerated slightly for the screen.

One of the finest films in the entire series.
    I completely agree with the original list as well as the reasons stated above. TB is my third favorite Bond films and my favorite since GF, which I consider to be the peak of the Bond films. To me, TB capped off Bond's golden era, which began with DN and also included FRWL and GF. What I love about TB is that it constituted the perfect marriage between a more 'fantastic' Bond film as well as some of the more realist Bond films. What I mean is that while it's a 'fantastic' film, its plot involving stolen nuclear weapons was and remains quite topical.
    Connery's performances was IMO absolutely superb and was one of his 2 best performances (the other being GF). He was never as confident and 'at home' as he was in TB. He really was amazing. The truth is, there is very little I don't love about TB. The direction, the women, the screenplay, the music (including Tom Jones's fantastic rendition of the title song), the cinematography, the locations, the villains, the dialogue, the action scenes, the humor and the ruthlessness are just some of the reasons why I adore TB. Oh, and its PTS was arguably one of the three best in the history of the series (along with GF and TWINE). TB was one of the first 'adult' films I ever saw and it had a huge impact on me. I think it's an absolutely magnificent film and I would argue that of all the Bond films it is surpassed only by FRWL and GF. I could go on and on about what a fantastc film it is ;) so I'll simply conclude by saying that it is a massive reason why I am a Bond fanatic. :007)
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
  • Agent WadeAgent Wade Ann ArborPosts: 321MI6 Agent
    edited February 2006
    As a kid, I would often happen across my dad taping a Bond movie off TV. Some times I would watch, and sometimes I would get sidetracked with other things. The Moore films stuck with me more because of all the places he went. Others, not so much. But generally if I was alone and I happened across Bond, I went to do something else. It wasn't until one day that my dad was consciously searching a video store for TB that I was curious what the big deal was. After finally finding it at a then Camelot and brought it home did I understand why he hungered for it so much. I admit that some of the end editing was rather dodgy, but that didn't turn me off from the fun story or the crazy excitement that came off the screen.

It was in fact TB that really turned up my fascination for Bond movies. The thing to solidify my fascination though was the 30 Year Anniversary collection cassette that had every Bond theme from Dr. No to LTK. That was when I begged him to be able to watch every Bond movie that I hadn't yet seen in the theater or off his bootlegs. The fascination escalated through high school and college to the point where I am now, a certified afficionado of the series and a hopeless fanatic.
  • bluemanblueman PDXPosts: 1,667MI6 Agent
    Generally agree, TB is a great Bond film.

I kinda think of it as the beginning of the end of the franchise, the last half of it anyway. After Fiona's death, there's not much driving it but spectacle, Domino's revenge seems oddly underplayed (well, leading up to the speargun bit, lol, THAT rocked!). One can see how YOLT, which also relied on spectacle for the final act but had a much thinner and less-involving start, took the splashier aspects of TB and ran with them...at the expense of the character work, IMO. Without TB's depth, YOLT comes off as a comic book. Except for OHMSS, they've never really found that balance again, of character and spectacle, and have opted for the comic book approach as the template for the series. Oddly, I don't know if that hasn't been the way to go, it sure enough keeps butts in seats, lol. Just wish for something more meaty these days like, well TB. :)
  • JennyFlexFanJennyFlexFan Posts: 1,497MI6 Agent
    NSNA and TB have that in common. After the death of the wild, wacky, and sexy female agent the film slows down a lot.
    blueman wrote:
    Generally agree, TB is a great Bond film.

I kinda think of it as the beginning of the end of the franchise, the last half of it anyway. After Fiona's death, there's not much driving it but spectacle, Domino's revenge seems oddly underplayed (well, leading up to the speargun bit, lol, THAT rocked!). One can see how YOLT, which also relied on spectacle for the final act but had a much thinner and less-involving start, took the splashier aspects of TB and ran with them...at the expense of the character work, IMO. Without TB's depth, YOLT comes off as a comic book. Except for OHMSS, they've never really found that balance again, of character and spectacle, and have opted for the comic book approach as the template for the series. Oddly, I don't know if that hasn't been the way to go, it sure enough keeps butts in seats, lol. Just wish for something more meaty these days like, well TB. :)

Well, I don't completely agree. I don't see YOLT as comical, however, I will give you the fact that it is a little outgoing.
  • Diamond BrownDiamond Brown Posts: 1MI6 Agent
    Tom Jones is one of the ultimate male singing voices of all time singing the title theme for Thunderball!
  • Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    edited February 2006
    NSNA and TB have that in common. After the death of the wild, wacky, and sexy female agent the film slows down a lot.
    Would that have anything to do with NSNA being a duplicate of TB? :D
    blueman wrote:
    Except for OHMSS, they've never really found that balance again, of character and spectacle, and have opted for the comic book approach as the template for the series. Oddly, I don't know if that hasn't been the way to go, it sure enough keeps butts in seats, lol. Just wish for something more meaty these days like, well TB. :)
    I wouldn't describe them as comic books, as I feel that is a rather derogatory term when used in this context. Rather I would describe them as action-filled spy thrillers. Nonetheless, in regards to your point, among the post-TB films that have found a balance between 'character and spectacle', one could argue either that all of them have done so (they all feature moments that focus on Bond's unique characteristics) or, if one wanted to be specific, OHMSS (obviously), FYEO, LTK, GE, TND and TWINE. Some have done it better than others, no doubt about it (and that's not an invitation for you to bash Brosnan ;) ) but they have done it nonetheless.
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
  • Ice Station 0Ice Station 0 Posts: 44MI6 Agent
    However there is something that bothers me about the movie and I just can't put my finger on it. All the elements and style are present, could it be a weak villian? Or is the under water fight just too long and detracts from what came before it?
    However there is something that bothers me about the movie and I just can't put my finger on it. All the elements and style are present, could it be a weak villian? Or is the under water fight just too long and detracts from what came before it?

YES! Largo is one of the worst Bond movie villains. He's set up to look dangerous but is nothing but an old, fat gangster. Not a genius, as I hardly believe he could think of this master plan and his NSNA counterpart is a much more believable "maniacal evil genius" villain while he seems like merely a gangster that somehow rose to the ranks as No. 2.

Plus, Volpe is overrated. Fatima is MUCH better.

I'm not a Thunderball fan at all, it's very low on my list (Number 15) and it's not at all what NSNA is. It just has the score, the James Bond theme, and the gunbarrel. Give those to Never Say Never Again and it will rise in favor with others.

BTW: Speaking of NSNA with a score and gunbarrel, check out this website: http://neversaymccloryagain.ohmss-007.com

It has clips of certain scenes redone with a genuine Bond score and the PTS has a gunbarrel! Enjoy!
    Largo is not a bad villian, he is just different. And as for Fiona Volpe, she is not overrated, she is very good looking and definately on par with fatima.
  • NightshooterNightshooter In bed with SolitairePosts: 2,917MI6 Agent
    On par? Fiona puts Fatima to shame! She is incredibly sexual without being over the top and much too extravagant.

As for Largo, I quite like him. He is understated, but I like him that way. Largo in NSNA is much too over the top for me, just like Fatima.
    Well, one thing I will say about Largo is he is a little too quiet.
    On par? Fiona puts Fatima to shame! She is incredibly sexual without being over the top and much too extravagant.

As for Largo, I quite like him. He is understated, but I like him that way. Largo in NSNA is much too over the top for me, just like Fatima.
    No, for me, Fatima blows Fiona out of the water. Fatima is crazy and look at her clothes, they just ooze craziness!
  • Bullitt68Bullitt68 Posts: 7MI6 Agent
    The things that bother me about this movie are the speeded up action scenes at the beginning & end of the film. Plus, I do agree that the first half of the movie is definitely better than the 2nd half.
    The big difference between Fiona Volpe and Fatima Blush is that Fiona looks exotic and alluring. She is one of the most gorgeous women of the series.
    Fatima looks like a ****.