Caroline Bliss best Moneypenny ?

Barry NelsonBarry Nelson ChicagoPosts: 1,508MI6 Agent
The most recent poll on AJB has Caroline Bliss receiving 16 votes for best Moneypenny. What I want to know is, how in the heck can anyone say she is the best Moneypenny? Please enlighten me. She was in only two movies and actually made me lose respect for Moneypenny. I like Samantha Bond the best. But, for this thread I really want someone to tell me how Bliss is the best.

Comments

• Tee HeeTee Hee CBT Headquarters: Chicago, ILPosts: 917MI6 Agent
    edited January 2006
    I was surprised to see the votes Bliss raked in as well. I like Lois Maxwell the best. For me, no one will be able to top her. Samantha Bond is good as well. (It always struck me how ironic her last name is.) Bliss seemed to have little chemistry with Dalton. Also, her relationship with Bond seemed to lack the sexual undertones that we have come to expect between Bond and MP. Bliss did make it obvious that she had a secret interest in Bond, but she turned it into more of a "school girl crush," sighing like a love-struck teenager after Bond turns down her Barry Manilow invitation. Bliss's MP missed the point that there is a more mature relationship between her and Bond. I will also be interested to see some fans' defense of Caroline Bliss.
    "My acting range? Left eyebrow raised, right eyebrow raised..."

-Roger Moore
  • RogueAgentRogueAgent Speeding in the Tumbler...Posts: 3,676MI6 Agent
    That's really puzzling because in her two stints she was nearly non-existent...No personality at all.
    Mrs. Man Face: "You wouldn't hit a lady? Would you?"

Batman: "The Hammer Of Justice is UNISEX!"
    -Batman: The Brave & The Bold -
  • NightshooterNightshooter In bed with SolitairePosts: 2,917MI6 Agent
    Nobody is like Lois. I don't hate Caroline Bliss... but she was just so very... forgettable.
  • 00640064 Somewhere out west...Posts: 1,083MI6 Agent
    Yeah, she was pretty forgettable, but then again, so were some of the other characters in Dalton's movies.
  • darenhatdarenhat The Old PuebloPosts: 2,029Quartermasters
    Bliss doesn't make sense to me at all. Don't get me wrong...I think she was very pretty (too pretty for the part IMO) but not played right at all. I voted for Lois Maxwell, who I think was an attractive (albeit a bit plain) woman who had a head on her shoulders. I always got the impression that she enjoyed flirting with Bon, but knew logically that he was a toad in any sort of relationship. Her crying at Bond's wedding in OHMSS was a nice touch, but I don't feel it was because she was lamenting lost love, but perhaps was actually very happy that Bond was moving forward in his life.

I liked Samantha Bond, but the virtual reality bit in DAD really blew it and turned it into a whole "lust" thing which I believed was throwing away everything Maxwell had established as Moneypenny being a smart girl.
  • Lady RoseLady Rose London,UKPosts: 2,667MI6 Agent
    darenhat wrote:
    I liked Samantha Bond, but the virtual reality bit in DAD really blew it and turned it into a whole "lust" thing which I believed was throwing away everything Maxwell had established as Moneypenny being a smart girl.

Isn't it weired how we all perceive things differently. That scene is one of the few I really liked In DAD. I just thought it was quite funny and I don't think it effected my opinion of Moneypenny at all.

I think Bond was the best actually. Maxwell was great but I just thought Bond had the right amount of prettiness and efficiency about her. Quite prim but something smoldering underneath.

As for Bliss, I don't dislike her but she was insipid. As for her appearance in LTK, that was totally unnecessary. That was one film that could have benefited from an ascent Moneypenny.
  • Moonraker 5Moonraker 5 Ayrshire, ScotlandPosts: 1,821MI6 Agent
    Lady Rose wrote:
    Quite prim but something smoldering underneath.
    Totally! Bit of a naughty side, as we saw in DAD! :D I also thought that was one of the best scenes in the film. Smart girls do lust too, you know ;)
    As for Bliss, I don't dislike her but she was insipid.
    Again, agreed. The whole "Barry Manilow" dialogue and the pathetic school girl type sigh did more to destroy the image of Moneypenny being a smart girl than anything else. She came across more of a besoted school girl than efficient, witty, quick-off-the-mark PA.
    unitedkingdom.png
  • Barry NelsonBarry Nelson ChicagoPosts: 1,508MI6 Agent
    Come on 17 of you voted for Bliss, don't be ashamed tells us why you did. :)

BTW, I also liked the scene in DAD with Samantha Bond and Lady Rose you described her well. I always had that sense of something smouldering underneath.
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,882Chief of Staff
    Look at it this way: in any national election you're likely to have a small number of people who vote for Bugs Bunny or Father Christmas or Snoopy. Maybe the 17 who voted for Ms. Bliss (who was, I think, pretty darned hot) were just registering their protest against The System or against plain ol' conventional thinking?

And in case you're wondering, I cast my ballot for Lois. Can't beat the classics.
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • Moonraker 5Moonraker 5 Ayrshire, ScotlandPosts: 1,821MI6 Agent
    Hardyboy wrote:
    And in case you're wondering, I cast my ballot for Lois. Can't beat the classics.
    Yeah, I forgot to add that bit. Lois just can't be beaten for me, I'm afraid.
    unitedkingdom.png
  • Willie GarvinWillie Garvin Posts: 1,412MI6 Agent
    edited January 2006
    I think Lois Maxwell was the best Moneypenny and she got my vote.

But I think Caroline Bliss had plenty of potential(she didn't come up with the line about Barry Manilow in TLD or insert herself into LTK or direct herself on either occasion),and was easily the prettiest Moneypenny.She also displayed a real chemistry with Timothy Dalton.There's really nothing wrong in liking Caroline's Penny, and I wasn't a bit offended by her performances.Her Penny seemed to be teasing Bond in the conversation with Dalton in TLD,and I had no trouble imagining them engaging in an occasional hot weekend away from the offices at MI6.

I sure hope this thread doesn't exist for the sole purpose of having everyone somehow come together to agree that Bliss wasn't a very good Moneypenny--because if that is the case, then I'm the first dissenter.Frankly,I can't imagine any other Moneypenny actress being any better than Bliss was in exactly the same circumstances.I certainly didn't lose any respect for Miss Moneypenny because Caroline Bliss played her.

And in all honesty I wasn't particularly impressed with Samantha Bond's take on Moneypenny.I wanted to be,but there was nothing in her 4 performances to make me like or care about her at all.Merely because she was the most recent Moneypenny actress doesn't automatically confer a special greatness to her interpretation.
  • asioasio Melbourne, AustraliaPosts: 546MI6 Agent
    I do believe that I missed that poll.
    Was Pamela Salem included?
    As for Moneypenny's virtual fling in DAD, I do remember one female audience member, who was sitting behind me, became quite giddy when Penny & Bond snogged.
    Quite amusing, I must say.
    Drawn Out Dad.
    Independent, one-shot comic books from the outskirts of Melbourne, Australia.
    twitter.com/DrawnOutDad
  • Barry NelsonBarry Nelson ChicagoPosts: 1,508MI6 Agent

But I think Caroline Bliss had plenty of potential(she didn't come up with the line about Barry Manilow in TLD or insert herself into LTK or direct herself on either occasion),and was easily the prettiest Moneypenny.She also displayed a real chemistry with Timothy Dalton.There's really nothing wrong in liking Caroline's Penny, and I wasn't a bit offended by her performances.Her Penny seemed to be teasing Bond in the conversation with Dalton in TLD,and I had no trouble imagining them engaging in an occasional hot weekend away from the offices at MI6.

I sure hope this thread doesn't exist for the sole purpose of having everyone somehow come together to agree that Bliss wasn't a very good Moneypenny--because if that is the case, then I'm the first dissenter.Frankly,I can't imagine any other Moneypenny actress being any better than Bliss was in the exactly the same circumstances.I certainly didn't lose any respect for Miss Moneypenny because Caroline Bliss played her.

And in all honesty I wasn't particularly impressed with Samantha Bond's take on Moneypenny.I wanted to be,but there was nothing in her 4 performances to make me like or care about her at all.Merely because she was the most recent Moneypenny actress doesn't automatically confer a special greatness to her interpretation.

I most certainly do not want this to turn into a bash Caroline Bliss. I am really just curios what made them select Bliss. I have nothing against her performance, I just did not find anything noteworthy about it.

As for Maxwell, I liked her well enough in the Connery years, but by the time they got to the Moore years, she was more like somebodies nice aunt, then Moneypenny.
  • darenhatdarenhat The Old PuebloPosts: 2,029Quartermasters

I liked Bliss (and have already affirmed I thinks she's very pretty) and I like the bit about the Barry Manilow invitation, because it was axactly what you said, WG: A tease. She knew Bond would never accept. It's the >sigh< that punctuates it which makes Moneypenny seemed like a schoolgirl. Maxwell was never a schoolgirl. She always conveyed a competence which made her Bond's equal, and there were times when it seemed to me that Bond's flirting with her was his way of self-assurance as an 'alpha-male' type. The only time I felt Maxwell dipped into the lovelorn Moneypenny was when she over-eagerly said she would "settle for a tulip" in DAF.
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,990Quartermasters
    RogueAgent wrote:
    That's really puzzling because in her two stints she was nearly non-existent...No personality at all.

If you think Ms Bliss was nonexistent in her two stints, wait until you see the new girl in the new film...(!?) Even a weak Moneypenny is preferable to no Moneypenny, IMO...

I, too, am confused by Bliss' receiving any votes at all, but at least she's solidly in third place out of three ;) .
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
    edited January 2006

I sure hope this thread doesn't exist for the sole purpose of having everyone somehow come together to agree that Bliss wasn't a very good Moneypenny--because if that is the case, then I'm the first dissenter.Frankly,I can't imagine any other Moneypenny actress being any better than Bliss was in the exactly the same circumstances.I certainly didn't lose any respect for Miss Moneypenny because Caroline Bliss played her.

I most certainly do not want this to turn into a bash Caroline Bliss. I am really just curios what made them select Bliss. I have nothing against her performance, I just did not find anything noteworthy about it.

As for Maxwell, I liked her well enough in the Connery years, but by the time they got to the Moore years, she was more like somebodies nice aunt, then Moneypenny.

Moore probably should have had his own Moneypenny--in fact,IMO that's really as it should be for every actor who plays 007.They should all have their own distinctive Ms as well(but I'm happy Bernard Lee--who was perfect in the part and who wasn't a wealthy man got some steady employment from Eon until his death).

But unintentional though it may be this really does look like a "let's bash Caroline Bliss" thread.That's unfortunate.

Regardless,I'm no fan of Samantha Bond's version of Penny(I've liked her in other things ). I thought she was woefully inadequate and immediately forgettable in the role(this could be the writing playing a part )-but that's only one man's opinion and it's clearly not one shared by the majority of the posters here.

And I say this as someone who much prefers Maxwell over any of the other actresses and I'm glad she wasn't moved aside for Michaela Clavell's Miss Smallbone.

But as asked,I've also told you why I liked Bliss.Was she great?No--but neither was Sam Bond,IMO.

C'est la vie.:)
    I agree that every Bond actor should have his own Moneypenny---and perhaps M as well.

I'm not surprised that Lois won hands down. Like Sir Sean, she originated her role---creating the gold standard for those who follow.
  • MBE_MBE_ USAPosts: 266MI6 Agent
    Interestingly Lois and Roger were longtime friends, and still are so they did have a nice easy chemistry. And they were around the same age so I didn't get an auntie vibe that I get from her scenes with Lazenby's Bond. With Roger the chemsitry and relationship seems more of the affectionate sibling kind, maybe because of their long time friendship. It doesn't have that cool sexy flirting edge she shared with Sean. Or that I thought Samantha Bond's Penny shared with Brosnans Bond.

My two cents: I loved the VR sequence -- one can indeed be smart and lustful. ;) It's also strangely one of the most romantic scenes in the series -- love the music and the way he says her name, while still being sexy -- love the tie pull, desk clearing and it's just a bloody great kiss.

As for Bliss, sorry I do find her moony eyed Barry Manilow (!?) loving Moneypeny quite cringeworthy. When Dalton's Bond rebuffs her she takes on the faint air of a puppy getting kicked. Not my idea of Moneypenny at all.

MBE
    MBE_ wrote:
    My two cents: I loved the VR sequence -- one can indeed be smart and lustful. ;) It's also strangely one of the most romantic scenes in the series -- love the music and the way he says her name, while still being sexy -- love the tie pull, desk clearing and it's just a bloody great kiss.

I agree with that completely...and it was a perfect swan song---both for her portrayal of the character, and she relationship she had with Brosnan over their four films together. It truly did 'sizzle.'
    MBE_ wrote:

I agree with that completely...and it was a perfect swan song---both for her portrayal of the character, and she relationship she had with Brosnan over their four films together. It truly did 'sizzle.'

I agree as well. Though I voted for Lois Maxwell, I definately think Samantha Bond deserves credit for being an excellent Bond. She filled the role very well, and I felt that instead of Moneypenny being jealous of James, James was jealous of Moneypenny.
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,585Chief of Staff
    Caroline Bliss had plenty of potential(she didn't come up with the line about Barry Manilow in TLD or insert herself into LTK or direct herself on either occasion),and was easily the prettiest Moneypenny.She also displayed a real chemistry with Timothy Dalton.There's really nothing wrong in liking Caroline's Penny, and I wasn't a bit offended by her performances.Her Penny seemed to be teasing Bond in the conversation with Dalton in TLD,and I had no trouble imagining them engaging in an occasional hot weekend away from the offices at MI6.

I sure hope this thread doesn't exist for the sole purpose of having everyone somehow come together to agree that Bliss wasn't a very good Moneypenny--because if that is the case, then I'm the first dissenter.Frankly,I can't imagine any other Moneypenny actress being any better than Bliss was in exactly the same circumstances.I certainly didn't lose any respect for Miss Moneypenny because Caroline Bliss played her.

WG, you're spot on there. Caroline didn't direct herself, or even write her own lines, and she did the best with what she was given.
    Caroline had the unenviable task of trying to follow Lois, and trying to be a clone of Lois in the part would have difficult at best - obviously the writers thought so too and went for a different take on the Moneypenny role. Who knows how the Bliss/Moneypenny role would have developed had both she and Dalton continued.
    YNWA 97
    edited January 2006
    Sir Miles wrote:
    Caroline Bliss had plenty of potential(she didn't come up with the line about Barry Manilow in TLD or insert herself into LTK or direct herself on either occasion),and was easily the prettiest Moneypenny.She also displayed a real chemistry with Timothy Dalton.There's really nothing wrong in liking Caroline's Penny, and I wasn't a bit offended by her performances.Her Penny seemed to be teasing Bond in the conversation with Dalton in TLD,and I had no trouble imagining them engaging in an occasional hot weekend away from the offices at MI6.

WG, you're spot on there. Caroline didn't direct herself, or even write her own lines, and she did the best with what she was given.
    Caroline had the unenviable task of trying to follow Lois, and trying to be a clone of Lois in the part would have difficult at best - obviously the writers thought so too and went for a different take on the Moneypenny role. Who knows how the Bliss/Moneypenny role would have developed had both she and Dalton continued.

Thank you Sir Miles.

While I don't dislike her I do not believe that Samantha Bond would've been recieved any more favorably than Caroline Bliss was, had she--not Bliss--played Moneypenny in TLD and LTK opposite Dalton and with the same director speaking precisely the same lines.Sam Bond would've been about the same age as Caroline at that time so such a circumstance is not unbelievable or unreasonable.

Additionally,had Caroline played Moneypenny in more movies or even(oh the horror)played Moneypenny to Brosnan's 007--she would've been about the same age as Samantha Bond was when she was Moneypenny,so it might have happened--I suspect this would now be a "let's bash Samantha Bond" thread instead of one slating Caroline Bliss.

After all,based on what's already been said about Caroline,Sam's performance would now be called insipid and she'd be held to task because her CHARACTER(who speaks lines provided by Richard Maibaum and Michael Wilson) mentions Barry Manilow records,while teasing 007 and sighs on camera.

All hypothetical but still....

Yes SB has had more screen time and more lines, but I don't think that automatically makes her a superior actress to CB.And I doubt Sam would make such a claim.

Caroline isn't my favorite Moneypenny(Lois is) but I do like her and I think it's extremely unfair to disapprove of her version of Moneypenny based primarily upon the lines she spoke.If it's a question of prefering specific body types or hair colors or accents over others,then that's different--that's a much fairer comparison.

And I don't dislike Sam Bond, but being the most recent Moneypenny doesn't- IMO anyway-confer greatness on her interpretation as much as it means that specific performer was simply the most recent person to play the part and is obviously more familiar and easier to remember.
  • FiremassFiremass AlaskaPosts: 1,910MI6 Agent
    i think that poll was insulting to both Lois Maxwell and Samantha Bond.
    My current 10 favorite:

1. GE 2. MR 3. OP 4. TMWTGG 5. TSWLM 6. TND 7. TWINE 8.DN 9. GF 10. AVTAK
  • RogueAgentRogueAgent Speeding in the Tumbler...Posts: 3,676MI6 Agent
    Firemass wrote:
    i think that poll was insulting to both Lois Maxwell and Samantha Bond.

Which leads me to the conclusion that some asylum had access to ballots. :))

Surely no sane person would be involved with such absurdity...
    Mrs. Man Face: "You wouldn't hit a lady? Would you?"

Batman: "The Hammer Of Justice is UNISEX!"
    -Batman: The Brave & The Bold -
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,882Chief of Staff
    So much for democracy. OK, a few people said that they feel Caroline Bliss was the best Moneypenny. BIG FAT HAIRY DEAL--let them have their opinions. Talk about sore winners. . .
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • Klaus HergescheimerKlaus Hergescheimer Posts: 332MI6 Agent
    No other Moneypenny can compare to Lois Maxwell during the Connery movies. During the Moore movies, she was too old, but during the Connery movies, she was just perfect. Hot, even, and giving Bond all he could handle.
    No other Moneypenny can compare to Lois Maxwell during the Connery movies. During the Moore movies, she was too old, but during the Connery movies, she was just perfect. Hot, even, and giving Bond all he could handle.

Said perfectly, she was a classic.
  • youknowmynameyouknowmyname Gainesville, FL, USAPosts: 703MI6 Agent
    Wow, who knew a discussion over Caroline Bliss would get so lively! Only on ajb, that's for sure. With no extra comments, I also believe that Lois Maxwell is the best, however I don't really have a second favorite. Although SB is good, I also like Bliss. She is very attractive and she played the part cast to her (as mentioned above). Those glasses, though...that's the clincher, love them. :))

Also, what about Pamela Salem (NSNA)? Or Miss Moneypenny's would be replacement Penelope Smallbone (played by Michaela Clavell), thought she wasn't too bad on the eyes either (although she surely is a schoolgirl in her role, being thoroughly briefed and all that)?
    "We have all the time in the world..."