Worst Opening Scene

Would have to be IMO FYEO. Blofeld (wearing an obviously fake bald pate) being picked up in his electronic wheelchair by the landing gear of a helicopter? Then being thrown down a smokestack while Bond quips, "Oh, you want to go down?" Pulease.

Comments

• Golrush007Golrush007 South AfricaPosts: 3,421Quartermasters
    I would tend to agree that FYEO has the worst PTS. That doesn't mean I don't like it, it's just a bit weaker.
  • Blofeld_cccpBlofeld_cccp Posts: 16MI6 Agent
    I actually really like the FYEO opening scene think it's cool how tracy's grave is shown and the blofeld thing is cool too
    ummm my least favorite would have to be AVTAK because of that stupid california girls thing
  • Slazenger7Slazenger7 Posts: 62MI6 Agent
    edited March 2006
    Would have to be IMO FYEO. Blofeld (wearing an obviously fake bald pate) being picked up in his electronic wheelchair by the landing gear of a helicopter? Then being thrown down a smokestack while Bond quips, "Oh, you want to go down?" Pulease.

Yeah I tend to agree, even though it is entertaining it is too silly for my liking, especially after coming from Tracy's grave. Oh yeah, and Blofeld even offers to buy Bond a delicatessen. Where did that come from? :(|)
  • somethingsomething Posts: 21MI6 Agent
    yea im gonna have to jump on the band wagon and go for FYEO also. I think it is just stupid to have blofeld being built up as this almost omnipotent super villian since the earlier films and then just through him down a smoke stack never to be mentioned again. I think he deserved alot more than a death in a PTS.
  • clumclum Santa Cruz, CAPosts: 63MI6 Agent
    Slazenger7 wrote:
    Oh yeah, and Blofeld even offers to buy Bond a delicatessen. Where did that come from? :(|)

a delicatessen in stainless steel, no less :))
  • Barry NelsonBarry Nelson ChicagoPosts: 1,508MI6 Agent
    Count me in with the FYEO is the worst opening scene. Ernst deserved a better fate than the goofy demise they created for him.
  • 00640064 Somewhere out west...Posts: 1,083MI6 Agent
    Well, my least favorite PTS is LALD. Though it explains the plot, it isn't that interesting.
    Oh I forgot one. TWINE's PTS

1. It's too long and all over the place. It's a PTS not a short film.

2. The main chunk of it makes no sense whatsoever. Why the woman is there, somehow knowing the bomb will blow a hole in the wall...above ground...on that side of the building...that Bond would poke his head out. I am amazed she hasn't been shot by anti-terrorist police for sitting in the middle of the Thames outside SIS headquarters in a heaily armed gunboat.

Q is making an ARMOURED fishing boat...speed boat...on company time and money...oh and it happens to have a little port for Bond to drive it out onto the Thames :)...WHAT???

To top it off Moneypenny bins a beautiful Romeo y Julieta Churchill *noooooooo!* :# :))

:)) LOL! Funny read blade and you make some good points! This is one of my favorite PTSs and I would never ever consider it one of the worst because it is so fun to watch, but I can't argue with any of the points you made except to say it's a movie, :s where things have a funny way of falling perfectly into place! :D
  • Krassno GranitskiKrassno Granitski USAPosts: 896MI6 Agent
    Slazenger7 wrote:
    where things have a funny way of falling perfectly into place! :D
    Except for Bonds tie, which he adjusts UNDERWATER :s Anyway my vote would go to FYEO. Started out perfectly then....What the hell is that. The only thing wrong in an otherwise excellent Bond film.
    edited March 2006
    Yeah AVTAK is pretty awful too as others have noted and I would say it's my second least fave. First of all, you never see anything but closeups of Roger Moore's face in that snowsuit and then some stunt double from afar, and obviously adding 'California Girls' was terribly cheesy and out of place. The iceburg sub is a pretty cool getaway though, I must admit, and I'm sure the champagne was well chilled. -{

Alright, it's certainly not one of the worst, but I don't see why TSWLM's PTS gets so much praise. I don't think it's anything special.
    As far as I can tell, everyone who loves this so much must be impressed by at least one or all of the following:
    -Moore's line "So does England." Pretty cool line I must admit but I don't think the ski chase that follows is all that great and can't hold a candle to the one in OHMSS.
    -The ski pole gun: a bit too silly for my tastes
    -The British parachute: Again, way too silly for me but looks cool the way it's shot from above. I guess I missed that class in spy school about advertising to everybody what country you're working for(of course I realize that Bond is somehow a successful spy even though he is well known the world over), but this is just rubbing it in! :))
  • JennyFlexFanJennyFlexFan Posts: 1,497MI6 Agent
    I enjoy FYEO's PTS. I also like AVTAK's (shocking, isn't it)? DAF's is pretty bad, I kind of don't like YOLT's.
  • PUCCINIPUCCINI Posts: 70MI6 Agent
    I think the weakest is LTK pre title sequence...I like but, compared to the others...
    PUCCINI wrote:
    I think the weakest is LTK pre title sequence...I like but, compared to the others...
    I agree, I don't like LTK's PTS either but it's the only part of the movie that doesn't look low-budget (well, let me rephrase that, it looks the least low-budget of all of it but still pretty low budget).

Actually, can you believe LTK had higher budgets than AVTAK and TLD but still looks pretty low? They must've invested all of their money in that PTS that wasn't even that good...
  • Agent WadeAgent Wade Ann ArborPosts: 321MI6 Agent
    Regarding LTK, you think that blowing up four gasoline tankers just costs a couple of nickels?
    Well, no. But what about cool chase scenes? Unlike this one that seemingly took forever and TANKER TRUCKS? What happened to sports cars? It's so... so... low-budget!
  • The CatThe Cat Where Blofeld is!Posts: 711MI6 Agent
    Slazenger7 wrote:
    As far as I can tell, everyone who loves this so much must be impressed by at least one or all of the following:
    -Moore's line "So does England." Pretty cool line I must admit but I don't think the ski chase that follows is all that great and can't hold a candle to the one in OHMSS.
    -The ski pole gun: a bit too silly for my tastes
    -The British parachute: Again, way too silly for me but looks cool the way it's shot from above. I guess I missed that class in spy school about advertising to everybody what country you're working for(of course I realize that Bond is somehow a successful spy even though he is well known the world over), but this is just rubbing it in! :))

Did you notice there is a jump somewhere hidden in the PTS too? ;)
  • wordswords Buckinghamshire, EnglandPosts: 249MI6 Agent
    I'm not a big fan of DAD's pre-credits sequence. The hovercraft chase was all a bit ho-hum for my money. Agree that AVTAK wasn't great though, and TWINE, though brilliant, was definately waaay too long.

With FYEO, I thought the graveyard and Chopper stuff was great, but for some reason they seemed to decide they had to compensate for the serious beginning with daft humour, a common trait in Roger Moore Bond movies.
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,299MI6 Agent

Nearly the best pts ever, up until the point where 007 wrests the ocntrols back and the awful Conti music kicks in. Then it goes down the dumper - shame.

Worst? TMWTGG and then those that do nothing for me really, even if they're good in a way, like OHMSS, give me "Welcome to Hell, Blofeld" any day. TND doesn't really work for me, it's a bit like Firefox or something. Most of the Brosnan's go on for too long. Don't like LTK either.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • Templar07Templar07 Posts: 5MI6 Agent
    Two movies that i just don,t like the PTS.

Thunderball is one. I just think the opening is kinda stupid. i mean Bond gets into that Jet Pack and only goes so far. what was the use of the Jet pack then. The villians catch up and he gets into the car and He squirts Water at them and they actully run into the water?? I mean Like duh go around it. What that water knock them out or what. Now to mention the song Thunderball isn,t one of my favorite Bond songs.

ok Other PTS. Diamonds are Forever. Starts out with Bond throwing the guy thur a wall and he saying Cairo, but his mouth isn,t moving. ok Cairo, Yeah and what about Cairo. That the guys name or what. Next guy says Ask Marie i believe is her name. Anyone correct me if i,m wrong. Ok So Bond knows just where to find this woman. The rest is ok. but just that part just gets on my nerves. Like it was just put there to connect him Finding Blofeld. I actully like Diamonds are Forever the movie. but the PTS. It could have been better.

I Love AVTAK and FYEO,s PTS. i have to agree the Worlds Not Enough is kinda Long. But it,s still good. hmmm that,s some Retirement boat Q has there. LOL
    Templar, I couldn't agree more, I don't like Thunderball much at all, nor it's PTS. I don't know what people see in it, he beats up a lady (well a man in drag, which is embarassing in itself) He gets in a jetpack and flies for two feet and squirts water at the bad guys in something that looks like a very odd special effect. Then we're introduced to the fat man... I mean, Largo.
  • BondlikeBondlike Posts: 26MI6 Agent
    I love the Thunderball PTS ---Bond so confidant he's right about the imposter he simply punches away, sure its not a woman.

I def think the worst PTS would have to be, LALD (Wheres Bond?) Golden Gun (Kinda dull--and wheres Bond) and AVTAK (that damn song)!
    But without "that damn song" which bothers most people, turn down the volume when "that damn song" comes on. That way you can enjoy it without it.
  • NightshooterNightshooter In bed with SolitairePosts: 2,917MI6 Agent
    But without "that damn song" which bothers most people, turn down the volume when "that damn song" comes on. That way you can enjoy it without it.

Yeah, cause that isn't annoying to have to do.
    i did try to simply turn the volume down once---but its just indellibly stuck in head----prob from watching it countless times as a child---i dont mind AVTAK too much otherwise!
  • Barry NelsonBarry Nelson ChicagoPosts: 1,508MI6 Agent
    I love the TB PTS. Great set up to a great fight. The jet pack could literally only fly so far so Bond flew it as far as he could go, which allowed him to quickly escape to the car. I agree the water thing is a little hokey, but hey, it's Bond.
  • TonyDPTonyDP Inside the MonolithPosts: 4,283MI6 Agent
    0064 wrote:
    Well, my least favorite PTS is LALD. Though it explains the plot, it isn't that interesting.

Agreed, Bond isn't even in the PTS for LALD and while it advances the plot it is utterly forgettable.

As for FYEO, at least it brings some closure to the events of OHMSS, although Blofeld deserved better (or worse).
    I agree that FYEO PTS is pretty good and also brings some closure to the Blofeld issue, although a bit of a let down since, as you say, he deserved worse. I have heard several times they wrote such a PTS because it seemed Moore would be leaving, and they wanted an immediate connection to the older films /character for the new guy. But isnt it entirely possible the only reason they actually filmed that PTS with the unamed Blofeld was in anticipation of NSNA, hoping to have audiences say, when they saw Blofeld in NSNA, "Hey, that guy with the cat is already dead, Bond killed him" and thus hurt the legitimacty/ official feel of the film even more. Please let me know if this idea had been floated before.
  • The CatThe Cat Where Blofeld is!Posts: 711MI6 Agent
    The idea of doing away Blofeld goes in the PTS of FYEO dates waaaay back to the late seventies. At that time, the idea was to feature Blofeld in TSWLM, have him escape, than do away with him in the PTS of the next movie which as it turned was meant to be FYEO - see the end credits. Of course some things came differently - Blofeld had to be substituted with Stromberg, and they put Moonraker between the two movies. But it makes perfect sense if you think about it. :)
  • Klaus HergescheimerKlaus Hergescheimer Posts: 332MI6 Agent
    Count me in with the FYEO is the worst opening scene. Ernst deserved a better fate than the goofy demise they created for him.

"We can make a deal!!!!!!!!!!!"

I'm with Barry on this one, yet again.

Outside of our respective feelings on Craig and rankings of Dalton, we seem to agree a lot.

DAD was pretty bad as well, but that is mainly due to the rediculousness of the action sequence.
  • Klaus HergescheimerKlaus Hergescheimer Posts: 332MI6 Agent
    Bondlike wrote:
    I love the Thunderball PTS ---Bond so confidant he's right about the imposter he simply punches away, sure its not a woman.

I def think the worst PTS would have to be, LALD (Wheres Bond?) Golden Gun (Kinda dull--and wheres Bond) and AVTAK (that damn song)!

Personally, I think "that damn song" is the brightest point of "that damn movie."