Actors' Favorites

Anyone know if the Bond actors have ever revealed their 'favorite' Bond films that they appeared in? I had to venture a guess, judging by their demeanor in the film and some interviews I've seen over the years, I would have to say:
Connery - Goldfinger
Moore - For Your Eyes Only
Dalton - LTK
Brosnan - GE

Comments

• Golrush007Golrush007 South AfricaPosts: 3,421Quartermasters
    I haven't ever heard anything from the actors on this subject. Your suggestions seem to be on the money.

BTW- this seems more suitable for the General James Bond chat forum???
  • TatianaTatiana Posts: 2MI6 Agent
    I remember reading somewhere that Roger Moore said his favorite Bond film was TSWLM. I can't remember where I read it and I don't have a link. All I can tell you is that I read it fairly recently.
  • Johnny OJohnny O Posts: 5MI6 Agent
    Your right about the wrong forum. I tried to post this in the films forum and a glitch sent the message here...

Maybe the admin can move it?
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,882Chief of Staff
    Johnny O wrote:
    Maybe the admin can move it?

Yes indeed--to the General chat it goes!
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • Klaus HergescheimerKlaus Hergescheimer Posts: 332MI6 Agent
    Actually, Connery was misquoted in saying Goldfinger was his favorite. He stated that FRWL was actually his favorite.
  • Tee HeeTee Hee CBT Headquarters: Chicago, ILPosts: 917MI6 Agent
    edited April 2006
    Tatiana wrote:
    I remember reading somewhere that Roger Moore said his favorite Bond film was TSWLM. I can't remember where I read it and I don't have a link. All I can tell you is that I read it fairly recently.

You're right Tatiana, Roger Moore declares TSWLM his favorite on the DVD documentary.

Oh I probably should add that Lois Maxwell's (Miss Moneypenny) favorite film is OHMSS because she believes that even if it wasn't a Bond film, it would have been a great film anyway.
    "My acting range? Left eyebrow raised, right eyebrow raised..."

-Roger Moore
  • 00640064 Somewhere out west...Posts: 1,083MI6 Agent
    Hmmm...I've never heard Dalton talk about his favorite Bond film that he was in. Is there an article about this somewhere that I can read?
  • JennyFlexFanJennyFlexFan Posts: 1,497MI6 Agent
    I know that Moore has said both TSWLM and FYEO as being his favorite films. I know for a fact Connery said FRWL was his favorite and that's why the mediocre game was produced. Lazenby doesn't have much of a choice... did Brosnan say GE? It's my favorite Bond film of all time but has he said it? Dalton has two picks, TLD or LTK. I'd say LTK but he was more "Fleming-esque" (or so they say) in that movie which is what he wanted his Bond to be like.
  • Prince Kamal KhanPrince Kamal Khan Posts: 277MI6 Agent
    edited April 2007
    In the information and links I've read-

Connery: FRWL and TB
    Lazenby: OHMSS(obviously)
    Moore: TSWLM with OP 2nd
    Dalton: TLD
    Brosnan: GE
    Craig: CR(obviously)

Of course, I'm not sure how valid some of the sources are. What would be really interesting is to learn what other Bond actors' films are the other Bond actors favorites. I think I read that GF and YOLT are Brosnan's favorite Connerys, Dalton said his 3 favorites were DN, FRWL and GF, and I believe FRWL is Craig's favorite.
  • Brosnan_fanBrosnan_fan Sydney, AustraliaPosts: 521MI6 Agent
    edited April 2007
    Brosnan's favourite Bonds are FRWL and FYEO (I wonder why :D), and his least favourite is OHMSS.

(Source IMDB)
    "Well, he certainly left with his tails between his legs."
    But I think of his own, Brosnan's favorite was GE. I don't believe he had very high opinions of TND or TWINE though, TND because there was no plot, TWINE because the plot was too confusing for him to follow.

I don't believe he's commented on DAD, perhaps he's already blocked it from his memory. ;)
    Of course, the Bond actors, like the rest of us, can change their favorites with time and perspective. What might have been their favorite in say 1965 or 1995 might be different from today. I think I remember reading when TND was being promoted Brosnan tended to diss GE at that time though I think he later said it was his favorite. Then again, there is the question of the reliability of the sources for this information.
  • LazenbyLazenby The upper reaches of the AmazoPosts: 606MI6 Agent
    I recall having heard somewhere that Craig's favorite is LALD, which I found quite surprising.
  • LazenbyLazenby The upper reaches of the AmazoPosts: 606MI6 Agent
    I recall having heard somewhere that Craig's favorite is LALD, which I found quite surprising.
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,358Chief of Staff
    edited April 2007
    Lazenby wrote:

I just watched that one again, and thoroughly enjoyed it. Perhaps it's the first Bond he saw at the cinema (he'd be around five at that time)? Or perhaps...

(1) Both CR and LALD feature a new actor taking on the part of 007 for the first time.

(2) In each case, the New Guy (copyright Loeffelholz) is taking over from a proven and immensely popular predecessor (in both cases, very minor point though it is, a blond man replacing a dark haired one).

(3) Both films are (reasonably) close to Fleming while the previous entry had been a weak, sci-fi themed one with attempts at humour...

(4)...which nevertheless performed well at the box-office, creating expectations for the next one (and hence putting pressure on the lead actor).

(5) Both films go to pains to avoid direct comparisons with the previous leading man- eg Bond doesn't report to M's office for his instructions, Q is absent, and the PTS is different from the norm.

I'm sure there are other points that could be made, but you get the drift.
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,991Quartermasters
    Lazenby wrote:

Figures, really. At his age, that would likely be the one he saw when the 'movie fan' portion of his brain circuits were being fused...

We all have that 'one Bond film'...with me, it was Sean Connery dangling in the night air outside Willard Whyte's penthouse in DAF B-)
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    edited April 2007
    Figures, really. At his age, that would likely be the one he saw when the 'movie fan' portion of his brain circuits were being fused...

We all have that 'one Bond film'...with me, it was Sean Connery dangling in the night air outside Willard Whyte's penthouse in DAF B-)
    I don't know about that. I mean, while I don't consider LALD to be as good as the first four Connery Bond films/OHMSS/TSWLM, I do think it's an excellent Bond film. If Craig had said that his favourite Bond film was TMWTGG or MR, then, yeh, I would put it down to it being the 'one Bond film' for him (as you said.) But I don't think, and his tastes may have since changed, that he has anything to be embarrassed about regarding his love of LALD. ;)
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
    Barbel wrote:
    Lazenby wrote:

I just watched that one again, and thoroughly enjoyed it. Perhaps it's the first Bond he saw at the cinema (he'd be around five at that time)? Or perhaps...

(1) Both CR and LALD feature a new actor taking on the part of 007 for the first time.

(2) In each case, the New Guy (copyright Loeffelholz) is taking over from a proven and immensely popular predecessor (in both cases, very minor point though it is, a blond man replacing a dark haired one).

(3) Both films are (reasonably) close to Fleming while the previous entry had been a weak, sci-fi themed one with attempts at humour...

(4)...which nevertheless performed well at the box-office, creating expectations for the next one (and hence putting pressure on the lead actor).

(5) Both films go to pains to avoid direct comparisons with the previous leading man- eg Bond doesn't report to M's office for his instructions, Q is absent, and the PTS is different from the norm.

I'm sure there are other points that could be made, but you get the drift.

You've thought this out rather better than I did, Barbel ;% I think you may be onto something.

And the copyright is much appreciated! {[]
    edited April 2007
    Dan Same wrote:
    ...I don't think, and his tastes may have since changed, that he has anything to be embarrassed about regarding his love of LALD. ;)

Of course, I never implied that he ought to be embarrassed about it ?:) LALD is my favourite Roger Moore Bond.

I'm guessing that particular film would probably be hitting TV about the time Craigger was starting to pay attention to such things, that's all---no value judgements, re: relative merit intended.

Really, Dan, I get enough grief over my position on Bond #3...no need to exacerbate the matter :#
    Of course, I never implied that he ought to be embarrassed about it ?:) LALD is my favourite Roger Moore Bond.

Really, Dan, I get enough grief over my position on Bond #3...no need to exacerbate the matter :#
    My mistake. I thought that by the term 'one Bond film' you meant the one Bond film that someone might secretly enjoy?
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
    Dan Same wrote:
    I thought that by the term 'one Bond film' you meant the one Bond film that someone might secretly enjoy?

Nah; the 'one Bond film' which makes one a Bond fan :007)
    You've thought this out rather better than I did, Barbel ;% I think you may be onto something.

And the copyright is much appreciated! {[]

I'd have put the little symbol (you know, a "c" inside a circle) except there doesn't appear to be one on my keyboard! (Just as there isn't an umlaut to go above the "a" in my user name X-()
    Dan Same wrote:
    I thought that by the term 'one Bond film' you meant the one Bond film that someone might secretly enjoy?

Nah; the 'one Bond film' which makes one a Bond fan :007)
    Got ya. {[]
    Ah I see, I was thinking what Dan was thinking as well. However, what made me a Bond fan was not a movie, but Goldeneye 007 for the N64 which prompted me to see GE the movie and then I saw AVTAK on TV.

It was all complete. :D

However, the first Bond film I saw in theaters was Tomorrow Never Dies, one that was fun for me then (I was 6) with all the explosions and how Teri Hatcher's hairdo vaguely reminded me of Natalya. I then grew to dislike it...

Still, good news that Craig likes LALD! It's a goodie certainly, and what makes it better is that it's a Moore movie!
  • Moore Not LessMoore Not Less Posts: 1,095MI6 Agent
    Lazenby wrote:

LALD is a favourite of Daniel Craig's, it was one of the first films he ever saw and most likely was his favourite Bond film, but not now. Not according to the article below in which he states that his favourite Bond films are DN and FRWL.

http://www.movieweb.com/news/41/15741.php
    Barbel wrote:

Not sure how close LALD is to Fleming, Barbel. This article on Fleming fidelity in the EON films gives it a D.

http://www.hmss.com/amvee/nuggets.htm
    However, the first Bond film I saw in theaters was Tomorrow Never Dies, one that was fun for me then (I was 6) with all the explosions and how Teri Hatcher's hairdo vaguely reminded me of Natalya.

That's funny. I remember thinking that Natalya and Paris resembled each other. Then there was that rumour that Paris was Natalya in an earlier script draft....
    I then grew to dislike it...

You dislike your first Bond in the cinema, JFF? I've always had affection for MR, my first Bond in the cinema. I still appreciate it on a "light action comedy" level. I think I'd always have a sentimental affection for my first Bond in the cinema whatever it was(even if it was AVTAK ;) )
    edited April 2007
    Not sure how close LALD is to Fleming, Barbel.

It's a lot closer than DAF, which was my point. I used the phrase "(reasonably) close"- to illustrate:

LALD: Novel
    Bond is sent to New York by M to investigate master criminal Mr Big, a black gangleader who reigns by terror and voodoo (with the figure of Baron Samedi prominent in this) from his HQ in Harlem. There he teams up with his friend Felix Leiter, also working on the case. An attempt is made on Bond's life soon after his arrival. Bond and Leiter go to a Harlem establishment owned by Mr Big (whose gang includes Tee Hee and Whisper), and while they are having a drink and enjoying the cabaret act their table sinks into the floor. Mr Big's goons lead Bond to their boss. Tied to a chair, he's questioned by Mr Big who relies on Solitaire's reading of the cards for information. Due to her attraction to 007, she doesn't give him an accurate reading.
    Solitaire is a white girl held captive for her mystical abilities, important to Mr Big's organisation since he uses voodoo to keep his followers in check. Following the interrogation, Mr Big's henchman Tee Hee tortures the little finger of Bond's left hand. Bond manages to escape. Solitaire and Bond subsequently team up, but she is re-captured by Mr Big. Part of their travels together has them on a train, where an attempt is made on their lives.
    Bond goes to the Caribbean to smash Mr Big's smuggling scheme where he is assisted by Quarrel to swim to Mr Big's underground lair. Captured, he and Solitaire are tied together to be eaten by sharks, but (of course) manage to escape, thanks to Bond's use of equipment from Q Branch.

This survives pretty much intact into the film. Of course there are many other elements to the book which are not in the film (most obviously Leiter's encounter with a shark, which made it into LTK) and many parts of the film not in the book (eg the boat chase and :'( JW Pepper) but by Bond film standards it contains a fair amount of Fleming- I would say the most of any in the 70s. DAF more or less abandons Fleming once Bond arrives in Las Vegas (apart from the coda); TMWTGG and MR take only the very bare bones of their novels; and TSWLM of course is completely different.
    However, the first Bond film I saw in theaters was Tomorrow Never Dies, one that was fun for me then (I was 6) with all the explosions and how Teri Hatcher's hairdo vaguely reminded me of Natalya.

That's funny. I remember thinking that Natalya and Paris resembled each other. Then there was that rumour that Paris was Natalya in an earlier script draft....
    I then grew to dislike it...

You dislike your first Bond in the cinema, JFF? I've always had affection for MR, my first Bond in the cinema. I still appreciate it on a "light action comedy" level. I think I'd always have a sentimental affection for my first Bond in the cinema whatever it was(even if it was AVTAK ;) )

Good! I'm not crazy for thinking they looked similar. I wish it was Natalya, except then she'd have to die (I still want Natalya to come back!)

Still, it wasn't the first Bond I SAW, that was GE, and I am quite attached, as well as to AVTAK. I did like TWINE, as I remember it more, going there, but what I do remember about TND is that we won the free VHS tape of it.
    Here's the article where Brosnan disses GE but talks about how wonderful he finds TND(which is fine by me since I rank TND higher than GE)-

http://www.klast.net/bond/tndnews2.html#starburst

Of course this was from 1997.