What if Piece Brosnan start in Living Daylights

How do you think it could have happened if Piece Brosnan debuted in The Living Daylights in the year 87 instead of than in The Golden Eye in 95.

I don't thin Living Daylights would be too much different with Brosnan in it, only it will become a way bigger blockbuster and hit #1 film all aroud the world. I think Piece's James Bond would have been more fuuny like Moore because he was follows him immediate. That eight year difference from The Living Daylights to The Golden Eye was make a big difference and affects the way Brosnan played Bond.

Comments

• taitytaity Posts: 702MI6 Agent
    Hard to say. Perhaps licence to kill wouldnt have been as dark. but one thing is that the six year gap between LTK and GE would still have been there. This is because it was a business related problem and not related to the actor. Who knows, maybe Brosnan would have steped down before GoldenEye to let someone else do it.
  • Klaus HergescheimerKlaus Hergescheimer Posts: 332MI6 Agent
    I'm not sure that a lot would be different. You can tell by watching Brosnan's performances that he sought to emulate aspects of Dalton's portrayal a great deal (his intensity, some of the world-weariness, sensitivity to women in distress, etc.). These are pretty much standard Fleming characteristics, but compare Brosnan's portrayal of these elements to Dalton's, and there isn't a lot of stylistic difference.

The producers wanted to go tougher and darker after Moore's era, and they were going to set this tone no matter which actor they picked. Brosnan would probably have played it just like he played his movies, being lighter than Dalton, but the tone of the movies would be the same. Personally, I think Dalton is a much better fit for his movies than Brosnan would have been, and I believe Dalton is a better Bond than Brosnan (although Pierce is excellent, IMO). But stylistically, I don't think there would be a great amount of divergence. There certainly wouldn't have been as much of a divergence as there would have been if Dalton were hired in the early-70s instead of Roger Moore.
  • Jimmy BondJimmy Bond Posts: 324MI6 Agent
    I agree. I actually think LTK would've been nice for Brosnan, too.

I don't actually differentiate Dalton's Bond from Brosnan's... The only thing these two had different, was that Dalton not as suave and sophisticated as much as Brosnan. Also, Dalton was a little bit (just a little...) rougher with the ladies, but otherwise I wouldn't differentiate the two of them, that much. In fact, I think their portrayal is similar.

A darker, grittier Bond, who relies on his wits (... and the occassional gadget) to get out of danger.

One of the reasons I'm sad Brosnan left is because I may miss this specific portrayal...
    Jimmy Bond wrote:
    I agree. I actually think LTK would've been nice for Brosnan, too.

I don't actually differentiate Dalton's Bond from Brosnan's... The only thing these two had different, was that Dalton not as suave and sophisticated as much as Brosnan. Also, Dalton was a little bit (just a little...) rougher with the ladies, but otherwise I wouldn't differentiate the two of them, that much. In fact, I think their portrayal is similar.

A darker, grittier Bond, who relies on his wits (... and the occassional gadget) to get out of danger.

One of the reasons I'm sad Brosnan left is because I may miss this specific portrayal...

I would say that Dalton is tougher than Brosnan, and that he isn't as humorous as Brosnan (which I personally think is a good thing). I also get the sense that Dalton's Bond, strangely, is more overtly sensitive than Brosnan's Bond, who seems to subdue emotion a bit in wishing to address the bigger picture at hand. Again, I like this about Dalton's Bond. But again, I am definitely a fan of Brosnan, and I would say that, generally, their portrayals are quite similiar.

Pierce would have been really good in LTK, too.
  • Golrush007Golrush007 South AfricaPosts: 3,421Quartermasters
    I'm sure Pierce would have done well in The Living Daylights, but I'm not sorry that he ended up waiting till GE, because if he had starred in TLD, we would have missed one of the best performances by a Bond actor, ie. Timothy Dalton in TLD.
    I am a big fan of Timothy's portrayal of Bond in that picture. I much prefer it to his performance in LTK, because there is a slightly better balance between toughness and humour. LTK took it a little bit far IMO, but was still a good film. TLD, is my favourite of the two though, and this is in no small part due to Dalton's performance. I just think Brosnan looked a bit 'boyish' at that time. Dalton's timing was bang on for his entry as Bond, whereas Brosnan was more ready for it by 1995.
    Golrush007 wrote:
    I'm sure Pierce would have done well in The Living Daylights, but I'm not sorry that he ended up waiting till GE, because if he had starred in TLD, we would have missed one of the best performances by a Bond actor, ie. Timothy Dalton in TLD.
    I am a big fan of Timothy's portrayal of Bond in that picture. I much prefer it to his performance in LTK, because there is a slightly better balance between toughness and humour. LTK took it a little bit far IMO, but was still a good film. TLD, is my favourite of the two though, and this is in no small part due to Dalton's performance. I just think Brosnan looked a bit 'boyish' at that time. Dalton's timing was bang on for his entry as Bond, whereas Brosnan was more ready for it by 1995.

Oh, I agree wholeheartedly. Dalton is by far my favorite Bond, and one of the great disappointments with the Bond franchise is that he did not take the job when he was younger after Connery.

But I think Pierce would have portrayed Dalton's films similiarly from a stylistic standpoint.
  • RogueAgentRogueAgent Speeding in the Tumbler...Posts: 3,676MI6 Agent
    I think Brosnan would have done an exceptionally fine job in TLD as a rookie Bond. Not that we'll ever know now but it looks like the film was made for Dalton.

Not sure about the follow-up LTK with its harshness... Dalton, on the other hand, looked crazy enough for it to work.
    Mrs. Man Face: "You wouldn't hit a lady? Would you?"

Batman: "The Hammer Of Justice is UNISEX!"
    -Batman: The Brave & The Bold -
  • Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    I think Brosnan could have handled both TLD and LTK exceedingly well. In fact, I think that Brosnan would have been alot better than Dalton in both films, particularly LTK. The reason being, I think that Brosnan could have provided the balance between intensity and humour, a balance which I felt was extremely lacking in LTK.
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
  • emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,749MI6 Agent
    I think Brosnan did Bond at the right time- he looked a little too weedy in 87 and had grown into himself just right by the time he did it (I think the Diet Coke ads that Monique posted here show how he handled action then- not at all bad but I think Dalton looked more comfortable). The film itself would have been a cracker just as much as it is- he would definitely have been good in it.
    LTK definitely wouldn't have happened- I'm not sure what we would have got in its place, but I think I'm glad we got to see a whoel new Bond plus Pierce's Bond as well instead of just Pierce.
  • TobiasTobias Chelmsford UKPosts: 115MI6 Agent
    How do you think it could have happened if Piece Brosnan debuted in The Living Daylights in the year 87 instead of than in The Golden Eye in 95.

I don't thin Living Daylights would be too much different with Brosnan in it, only it will become a way bigger blockbuster and hit #1 film all aroud the world. I think Piece's James Bond would have been more fuuny like Moore because he was follows him immediate. That eight year difference from The Living Daylights to The Golden Eye was make a big difference and affects the way Brosnan played Bond.
    Was LTK made to suit Dalton as it was written for him The living daylights was writter for Brosnan but because of his RS contract he could not get out of it
  • SeahawkSeahawk Posts: 85MI6 Agent
    TLD was written,initially, for Roger Moore. The draft screenplay incorporated a scene in which Bond escapes from danger by throwing an oriental rug over a set of telephone wires & riding the rug from one roof to another as though it were a flying carpet. A very Roger Moore scene which , thankfully, didn't survive the change of lead.
    Timothy Dalton was originally offered the role of Bond for what is known to have been at least the third time. However he was about to embark on a Shakespeare double bill in the West End & so declined the role. At that point several other actors were screen tested from whom Brosnan was selected. It was at this point NBC chose to cut up awkward & hold Brosnan to contract. By this time Dalton was available & the film was finally made with the original choice of lead actor.
  • yodboy007yodboy007 McMinn CountyPosts: 129MI6 Agent
    edited October 2008
    Surprisingly I do not think Brosnan would have been as good in TLD as Dalton was. Keep in mind that I love Brosnan and think he was a very good Bond, but I can't see anyone in both of Dalton's films except Dalton. I feel that Brosnan was too young and too skinny in 1987. Heck, he was even a bit skinny in GE. TLD sure has an interesting history. It was written for Moore, offered to Brosnan and Dalton ended up doing it. I am glad he did.

Also, I feel Brosnan would not have worked well at all in LTK. Most say he would help balance the humor with the grittiness of the film, but this is one of the few films in my opinion that did not need that. The scenes with Q gave me enough laughs. I can only see Dalton in LTK. I don't even think Craig could have pulled LTK off that well. LTK is a delicate and special Bond film unlike most others and luckily it had the perfect actor for the role.
  • PDJamesBondPDJamesBond Posts: 180MI6 Agent
    edited November 2008
    This is my first post on AJB, but since Dalton is my favorite Bond, it's an appropriate place to begin.

I like Brosnan well enough in the role and think he did fine in the emotional scenes, but I cannot imagine him being as gritty or as intense as Dalton, which is key to both TLD and LTK. In TLD, if you remember Bond's gunpoint confrontation with Pushkin or the scene where he tears Kara's robe to show her that he knows how the scar got there, these are hard, rough scenes that I can't quite picture Brosnan pulling off. I think Brosnan would have been "good" but Dalton was great.

That said, I can certainly appreciate the comments made above that Brosnan might have lightened up LTK a bit, which might have helped the film (and perhaps the box office?).

Dalton will always be "the" Bond in my eyes, and as much as I LOVE Daniel Craig, I admit to getting a little bitter when people think of his tough, cold, Fleming-esque portrayal as "truly original." Whenever critics or fans say this, I always get the urge to gently point out that Dalton had done it 20 years prior.

Wow, that was a long and rambling first post!
  • zaphodzaphod Posts: 1,183MI6 Agent
    This is my first post on AJB, but since Dalton is my favorite Bond, it's an appropriate place to begin.

I like Brosnan well enough in the role and think he did fine in the emotional scenes, but I cannot imagine him being as gritty or as intense as Dalton, which is key to both TLD and LTK. In TLD, if you remember Bond's gunpoint confrontation with Pushkin or the scene where he tears Kara's robe to show her that he knows how the scar got there, these are hard, rough scenes that I can't quite picture Brosnan pulling off. I think Brosnan would have been "good" but Dalton was great.

That said, I can certainly appreciate the comments made above that Brosnan might have lightened up LTK a bit, which might have helped the film (and perhaps the box office?).

Dalton will always be "the" Bond in my eyes, and as much as I LOVE Daniel Craig, I admit to getting a little bitter when people think of his tough, cold, Fleming-esque portrayal as "truly original." Whenever critics or fans say this, I always get the urge to gently point out that Dalton had done it 20 years prior.

Wow, that was a long and rambling first post!

Welcome to AJB{[]

I think that you are right in as much as Craig's conception of Bond does build upon Dalton's with the common link being that they both have been keen to 'return to the source' i.e. the novels, and that they are both fine actors within the theatrical tradition.
    It could of course be argued that Dalton's Bond drew a lot from Connerry...so we can see both an arc and a pendulum in how Bond is portrayed
    I think that Dalton's portrayal also influenced elements of PB's Bond in his more serious and tense moments. So I think that Dalton can be viewed as a very influential Bond even if you did not like his own characterisation. For me he is probably my favourite, although I have enjoyed each actor in the role with the exception of Roger who I know has his loyal fans, but was to lightweight and tounge in cheek for me to appreciate, and very far from my idea of a recognieable 'Fleming' Bond.