Barely Bond related, but I need answer:

FrankieFrankie Posts: 11MI6 Agent
My favorite work of fiction is "The Count of Monte Cristo." I generally really enjoy swashbuckling movies and period pieces. This is a question directed to the British TV viewers:

Are the "Sharpe's..." series, starring the ex006 Sean Bean good? I mean in terms of stories and production value. I'm tempted to start collecting the DVDs. Mainly because they are period pieces and I like Sean Bean. Do you recommend them?

Comments

• HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,882Chief of Staff
    Since, as you say, this is "barely Bond related," I'll move it to the Off-Topic forum. And I'm sort of interested in the answer to your question myself--I love the Sharpe novels and I've never seen Bean's performances as Sharpe.
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • Willie GarvinWillie Garvin Posts: 1,412MI6 Agent
    These motion pictures are all uniformly excellent and I recommend them without any hesitation whatsoever.:)
  • FrankieFrankie Posts: 11MI6 Agent
    These motion pictures are all uniformly excellent and I recommend them without any hesitation whatsoever.:)
    Thanks WG. I AM tempted to buy the DVDs. But can I have more than one opinion? Anybody else?
  • MBE_MBE_ USAPosts: 266MI6 Agent
    edited May 2006
    I'm a US viewer but I watched the series on PBS. It's an excellent series, very good production values, writing and acting. Though my interest dropped off after the first 4 or so for spoiler reasons I won't reveal.

FYI, the last I looked you can buy the entire series on DVD much cheaper in the UK than the US (provided you can watch Region 2 and PAL discs). Yep, you can now get the first 14 Sharpe DVDs for £48.97 (less than $100) from Amazon.co.uk as compared to over $300 from Amazon.com. Though the individual priced DVDs aren't that far off in cost.

The DVDs are also for rental at most large stores so you might want to check it out that way first.

MBE
  • FrankieFrankie Posts: 11MI6 Agent
    MBE_ wrote:
    I'm a US viewer but I watched the series on PBS. It's an excellent series, very good production values, writing and acting. Though my interest dropped off after the first 4 or so for spoiler reasons I won't reveal.

FYI, the last I looked you can buy the entire series on DVD much cheaper in the UK than the US (provided you can watch Region 2 and PAL discs). Yep, you can now get the first 14 Sharpe DVDs for £48.97 (less than $100) from Amazon.co.uk as compared to over $300 from Amazon.com. Though the individual priced DVDs aren't that far off in cost.

The DVDs are also for rental at most large stores so you might want to check it out that way first.

MBE

Thanks MBE.

I didn't even know PBS carried it. I wish I'd known.
  • AlexAlex The Eastern SeaboardPosts: 2,694MI6 Agent
    Right now they're being rejuvenated on BBC America, I've caught two episodes thus far. Had seen the DVDs before at Borders but rather pricey at that establishment.

A one hour television series with high production values, Bean is outstanding as Richard Sharpe. Highly recommended if you're into well crafted period pieces. Romance and adventure, great stuff.
  • s96024s96024 Posts: 1,519MI6 Agent
    Probably late. But I also would highly recommend the series. Loved Sean Bean in this role and also his role in Bravo Two Zero and Goldeneye. I also recently discovered the character of Richard Sharpe was named after my great uncle, the English rugby player Richard Sharp. :D