Bonding with Time - The Rolex Submariner

2»

Comments

• ollie501ollie501 Posts: 2MI6 Agent
    Hi,

First time poster, so.. ummm.. hello! I'm Ollie (or Daz, whichever you prefer!)

Anyhoo, I found this site via that very interesting article, although I did spot what I think may be a small error in it.. I watched Thunderball last night, and JB was wearing a Breitling 'Top Time' Diver Chronometer (with built in Geiger counter, naturally!), and not a Rolex. I only spotted it in one scene.. did he wear a Rolex elsewhere in the film?

Thanks

Ollie
  • Asp9mmAsp9mm Over the Hills and Far Away.Posts: 7,485MI6 Agent
    edited March 2007
    Yes, in all the other scenes ;) The Rolex has plenty of close up screen time, especially when Bond swims into Palmyra via the water channel and checks the time. Great shot of the 6538.

Hello and welcome to AJB, by the way {[]
    ..................Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............
  • ollie501ollie501 Posts: 2MI6 Agent
    Asp9mm wrote:
    Yes, in all the other scenes ;) The Rolex has plenty of close up screen time, especially when Bond swims into Palmyra via the water channel and checks the time. Great shot of the 6538.

Hello and welcome to AJB, by the way {[]

You know, your absolutely right. After a rewatch, there are numerous scenes where the Rolex is seen in close-up, yet for some reason my brain only picked out the Breitling. Maybe it's a subconcious desire to (have the money to) own one! Thanks for the warm welcome as well! {[]
  • Asp9mmAsp9mm Over the Hills and Far Away.Posts: 7,485MI6 Agent
    It's amazing how much you notice after several viewings. I've studied the early Submariners in GF and TB ad infinitum over 17 years, and just when I think I know everything, someone will point out something very new.

I can't wait for CR to come out on DVD, a few of us will be very disappointed about the inaccuracies of our findings about certain props, clothing and continuity, which will lead to more spending. God help us, and thank God I was not a Bond fan in the Sixties, pre DVD and pause buttons.
    ..................Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............
  • Donald GrantDonald Grant U.S.A.Posts: 2,241Quartermasters
    Yes, welcome to the forum. Ditto what ASP9mm said. My follow up article will include the Breitling Top Time.

DG
    So, what sharp little eyes you've got...wait till you get to my teeth.
    image_zps6a725e59.jpg
    "People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." Richard Grenier after George Orwell, Washington Times 1993.