best dressed bond

2»

Comments

• MBE_MBE_ USAPosts: 266MI6 Agent
    words wrote:
    Necrophilia! Now there's a topic I don't think we've explored on AJB yet...

Is it me, or is this going waaaay off topic? ;)

Very. This looks like it belongs in the "Is James Bond Kinky?" topic. :D

MBE
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,597MI6 Agent
    I think Bond is best dressed in DN and TLD. And I know how Moore's 70's films weren't too great, but what about in thr 80's? I thought that in those 3 films he was dressed quite well. Especially in FYEO. OP had that nice charcoal pinstripe suit in the London scenes. I know that people don't like that safari shirt that was also worn in TMWTGG and MR, but it worked. I actualy like it. The problem in OP is that half the clothes that Bond wears are disguises, like the Toro army outfit, the knife throwers' suit, and of course the clown get-up.
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
  • taitytaity Posts: 702MI6 Agent
    But he did pull that clown suit off better than the Brosnan ever could have.

I like how Moore dressed when he first meet Octopussy and in the finale of FYEO. Both were examples of very smart but not formal attire.

However he look bad in the first four movies. As did Lazenby and Connery (DAF). Pfft, the 70s.

As for class, Id say Connery's FRWL or almost any of the Brosnan outfits worked.
  • Donald GrantDonald Grant U.S.A.Posts: 2,241Quartermasters
    Well for me of course, it would have to be Connery in any one of his early outings through Thunderball. But I must say, I like the GF blue terrycloth onesie. It's iconic to me and adds a certain charm to the film. I've even thought about reproducing it myself.

DG
    So, what sharp little eyes you've got...wait till you get to my teeth.
    image_zps6a725e59.jpg
    "People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." Richard Grenier after George Orwell, Washington Times 1993.
  • wordswords Buckinghamshire, EnglandPosts: 249MI6 Agent
    Well for me of course, it would have to be Connery in any one of his early outings through Thunderball. But I must say, I like the GF blue terrycloth onesie. It's iconic to me and adds a certain charm to the film. I've even thought about reproducing it myself.

DG

If you do wear one, promise me it will be in the privacy of your own home and not at the poolside! I seriously doubt it would help your chances of pulling! :v
  • delon64delon64 RiyadhPosts: 176MI6 Agent
    back to the cravat wearing bond...roger sports a maroon one in the brief zorin office scene in avtak...when that wonder computer recognises him...but he was posing as saint john smythe...so i will forgive him
  • heartbroken_mr_draxheartbroken_mr_drax New Zealand Posts: 2,073MI6 Agent
    GF for sean especially his golf clothes and what he wears on the plane and in the laser scene.

LALD for Roger, his suit in Harlem is really cool.

DAD for pierce, casual and formal.
    1. TWINE 2. FYEO 3. MR 4. TLD 5. TSWLM 6. OHMSS 7. DN 8. OP 9. AVTAK 10. TMWTGG 11. QoS 12. GE 13. CR 14. TB 15. FRWL 16. TND 17. LTK 18. GF 19. SF 20. LaLD 21. YOLT 22. NTTD 23. DAD 24. DAF. 25. SP

"Better make that two."
  • RogueAgentRogueAgent Speeding in the Tumbler...Posts: 3,676MI6 Agent
    My heart is compelled to say Connery but Pierce just looked great in just about anything they put him in. I particulaly loved the linen-type? suit he wore in TWINE with the Cordovan-colored, buckled shoes. B-)
    Mrs. Man Face: "You wouldn't hit a lady? Would you?"

Batman: "The Hammer Of Justice is UNISEX!"
    -Batman: The Brave & The Bold -
  • ClassicClassic Posts: 51MI6 Agent
    edited April 2007
  • La CuranderaLa Curandera Posts: 52MI6 Agent
    the Previously mentioned grey three piece Connery wears in GF is Bondat his best dressed. Craig wears a similar blue three piece at the end of CR, but it isn't nearly as nice, or worn nearly as well as Sean did all those years ago.
    As far as casual attire, Daniel Craig has this in spades. The Madagascar ensemble resembles half of my closet (khaki and colorful print button-ups), and all his other casual wear look as comfortable as hell.
  • RogueAgentRogueAgent Speeding in the Tumbler...Posts: 3,676MI6 Agent
    edited March 2007
    Connery in that three piece in Goldfinger just looks timeless IMO; it is a style of suit that I favor anyway.

The one that he wore in Thunderball when he's getting away from the goons during the parade was a nice one too.

Dalton, although a good Bond IMO, really looked lost in suits to me with the exception of the (again) 3-pc. suit from TLD. Doesn't anyone agree with me that his attire also looked "dated"? That jacket he had on with Kara? The morning coat, that Mannix - like sportscoat in the climax of LTK? Ugh - nothing that has stood the test of time... :#

Moore looked good in just about everything he wore during his tenor but bell-bottoms are unforgivable. A fashion statement that I don't miss.
    Mrs. Man Face: "You wouldn't hit a lady? Would you?"

Batman: "The Hammer Of Justice is UNISEX!"
    -Batman: The Brave & The Bold -
  • cassidybondcassidybond Posts: 9MI6 Agent
    Lazenby of course!...:)):))
  • ClassicClassic Posts: 51MI6 Agent
    Lazenby of course!...:)):))

Except at Piz Gloria, Lazenby is as elegant as Connery.
  • Neville JamesNeville James Posts: 29MI6 Agent
    RogueAgent wrote:
    Connery in that three piece in Goldfinger just looks timeless IMO; it is a style of suit that I favor anyway.

The one that he wore in Thunderball when he's getting away from the goons during the parade was a nice one too.

Dalton, although a good Bond IMO, really looked lost in suits to me with the exception of the (again) 3-pc. suit from TLD. Doesn't anyone agree with me that his attire also looked "dated"? That jacket he had on with Kara? The morning coat, that Mannix - like sportscoat in the climax of LTK? Ugh - nothing that has stood the test of time... :#

I agree. Dalton, for me was the worst dressed Bond. His suits had a somewhat 'off the peg' look, or was it just the way Tim wore them???
    Connery, in the first three movies for me is the best dressed. He has influenced me in my dress sense more than any style icon of the last sixty years with the exception of Cary Grant. Now I will only wear white or pale blue shirts, suits in Navy or Grey and nearly always match my tie shade to the suit.
    How sad is that???
    Also the folded white hankerchief is a must.
    I abohore Brosnan's 'puffed' hankies in Goldeneye and TND.
    Did no one ever tell this man a gentleman should always pair his hankerchief with his shirt not his tie??
  • MailfistMailfist Posts: 243MI6 Agent
    For me it is either the paired down style of SC or the beautifully tailored look of PB.

The SC style still looks good today even after 40 years. I agree with everyone who said the grey 3 piece in GF is a totally classic look. I also like:

The Crab Key outfit from DN. The pale blue short sleeved polo shirt and trousers is also a timeless classic.

The grey suit from the carnival chase in TB.

The black 'burglar outfit' from GF and TB (which was used again in TLD by TD).

In fact everthing of SC in the first five films except the infamous blue romper suit in GF. Only SC could have got away with that one. Looks more like it was designed for Mr. Wint or Mr. Kidd.

Pity his track record was ruined by DAF - Surely the worst dressed Bond. The pink tie at Willard Whyte'd house, the brown jacket and polo neck in the penthouse, a blue shirt with a tux where to stop.

GL wardrone in OHMSS was nice with the exception of the ruffle on the dress shirt - but what can you do about fashion trends.

I think RM clothes have aged worst. But that was due to a lot of his films being made in the 70s - the decade fashion forgot. Having said that you only have to look at other films made in the 70s to realise how restrained RMs clothes actually were. Hopefully, bell bottoms, kipper ties and lapels which were more like wingspans will never return.

TD never looked totally comfortable in a suit. I liked his clothes in TLD. Another contributor said they looked 'off the peg'. I think this is in fact correct. Apparently because he was cast so close to filming they didn't have time to get him measured for hand tailored suits. PB had actually been measured for the suits.

Favourite TD outfit - the casual jacket, long sleeved polo shirt and chinos from the Tangiers scene. Wore that one for a couple of summers.

TLD was a bit diasppointing on the clothes front. I remember at the time TD was critised for wearing suits with an open neck shirt and no tie - now everyone is wearing suits this way.

PB - the man looks like he came out of the womb wearing a Brioni suit. The only actor who has ever worn a suit better than PB was Cary Grant. I like everything he wore as Bond and wish I could afford them. Only reservation was the patterned shirt in Cuba with the T shirt underneath.

DC has ushered in a more casual era as suits (no pun intended) the times. Liked most of the gear in CR particuliarly the suits and the two outfits in the Bahamas. Remember it was a bit of a jolt the first time I saw CR to see Bond in a black leather jacket and grey T shirt. Seemed very un-Bond at the time, but it has grown on me.
  • postman patpostman pat Posts: 37MI6 Agent
    Connery really is the man that jumps to mind.

The white tux of Goldfinger is perfect on him! Quintessential Bond... well tailored and never out of fashion.