Best Bond/Main villain fight

Zorin13Zorin13 Great BritainPosts: 8MI6 Agent
Which is the best Bond/main villain fight? I personally like Bond v Zorin on the goldengate bridge, Bond v trevelyan on the antanae cradle and Bond v Blofeld on the bobsled run.

Comments

• Golrush007Golrush007 South AfricaPosts: 3,421Quartermasters
    edited August 2006
    There are many classics - but my favourite is the golden gate bridge fight. It works very well in every respect. We see the actors' faces most of the time, and the action is good and you can almost feel the height. The music which accompanies the scene is excellent as well. It makes AVTAK worth watching. ;)

Runners up include the Orient Express fight and the bobsled chase.
  • bigzilchobigzilcho Toronto, ONPosts: 245MI6 Agent
    James Bond vs. Donald "Red" Grant. 'Nuff said.

"How about a cigarette?"
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,991Quartermasters
    "I use a lighter."
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • Willie GarvinWillie Garvin Posts: 1,412MI6 Agent
    "I use a lighter."

"Better still--until they go wrong."

I don't think any fight has equalled the battle for survival Bond and Grant participate in while onboard the Orient Express in From Russia With Love.
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,991Quartermasters
    I agree, Mr. Garvin. If the entire Bond franchise could be distilled into one sequence, that would be it---from Bond's initial challenge of Grant, to Grant's final gasp of life...

Similarly, Fleming's Bond canon could be encapsulated in the chapter of FRWL entitled, "Ten pints of blood."

God, I love this :D
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • Barry NelsonBarry Nelson ChicagoPosts: 1,508MI6 Agent
    This is a no brainer, Bond and Grant is the best. Other good ones, Moore and Jaws on the train, Connery and Pussy in the hay :p, Brosnan and Sean Bean in GE.

The worst, Bond at karate school in TMWTGG, saved by little girls...whose idea was that.
  • Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    edited August 2006
    Connery and Pussy in the hay :p,
    That was indeed a great fight. :D
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
  • Tee HeeTee Hee CBT Headquarters: Chicago, ILPosts: 917MI6 Agent
    The worst, Bond at karate school in TMWTGG, saved by little girls...whose idea was that.

Roger could have took care of himself, he was not what I'd call rescued. If you remember, he at first tells Hip's neices to stand back. It wouldn't be the first time Bond was able to defeat a group of baddies (Bond on rooftop, YOLT) The intention of the sequence was simply humor IMO. Even if Bond was rescued, it wouldn't have been the first time, just take Domino shooting Largo for instance. As much as Bond comes to the rescue, he sometimes has to be rescued himself. I don't think that is necessarily a bad thing.

But the best Bond/Villain fight in my opinion would have to be Bond vs. Trevelyan in GE, mainly because it was a personal one between former friends.
    "My acting range? Left eyebrow raised, right eyebrow raised..."

-Roger Moore
  • JennyFlexFanJennyFlexFan Posts: 1,497MI6 Agent
    Tee Hee wrote:

Roger could have took care of himself, he was not what I'd call rescued. If you remember, he at first tells Hip's neices to stand back. It wouldn't be the first time Bond was able to defeat a group of baddies (Bond on rooftop, YOLT) The intention of the sequence was simply humor IMO. Even if Bond was rescued, it wouldn't have been the first time, just take Domino shooting Largo for instance. As much as Bond comes to the rescue, he sometimes has to be rescued himself. I don't think that is necessarily a bad thing.

But the best Bond/Villain fight in my opinion would have to be Bond vs. Trevelyan in GE, mainly because it was a personal one between former friends.
    Tee Hee, that fight is not usually brought up anywhere though it is very well choreographed and edgy on its own. Pierce and Sean actually went to their hotel rooms and rehearsed it to make it more real.

But the Golden Gate fight is worth watching. After not watching AVTAK for a long time, I saw it at home and I was on the edge of my seat the whole time watching Zorin and Bond struggling atop the bridge!
    I believe a tip of the hat should be given to the Bond/Oddjob fight. A marvelous scuffle in the heart of Fort Knox as an atomic bomb ticks away. The essence of Bond magic.

"Three more ticks and Mr. Goldfinger would have hit the jackpot."
  • Iona Havelock RIPIona Havelock RIP Posts: 38MI6 Agent
    Bond (Moore) v Chang at Venni Glass in Moonraker is a great fight.
  • Andy A 007Andy A 007 Posts: 199MI6 Agent
    Bond vs. Grant hands down!
  • chris Walkenchris Walken Posts: 85MI6 Agent
    edited August 2006
    Got to be Golden Gate Bridge fight in AVTAK
    between Bond An Max Zorin from the start where Zorin tells scarpine "Go get him" to the airship blowing up then to the part where Max Zorin laughs at the end
  • steelydan3steelydan3 Posts: 65MI6 Agent
    My favourite will always be the final fight in AVTAK. Also, I really like the Red Grant and the Treyvelan fight too.
  • cdsdsscdsdss JakartaPosts: 144MI6 Agent
    Bond and Trevelyan, hands down. Not only was it brutal, it was personal. I liked the concept of the Bond/Zorin fight, but the poor blue screen effects killed any sense of drama for me.
  • Agent SidewinderAgent Sidewinder Posts: 223MI6 Agent
    Bond/Blofeld on the bobsled in OHMSS
  • DarkevilDarkevil Posts: 2MI6 Agent
    I liked the concept behind the Bond v. Jaws fight on the cable cars in Moonraker.

The fight with Grant in From Russia With Love was also very original and entertaining.
  • GrishenkoGrishenko Posts: 45MI6 Agent
    Bond v. Trevelyan at the end of GE.

Only Bond v. Grant even compares, and Grant was not the main villain.

The brutality and intensity of the Trevelyan fight, as well as the way the timing and editing comes together so well, is one of the reasons I am so looking forward to CR under Martin Campbell...
  • AlexAlex The Eastern SeaboardPosts: 2,694MI6 Agent
    The Orient Express portion of FRWL is the number one reason I am a Bond fan.

Let's not kid ourselves here, 006 and 007 was great, but this is the classic scene, filmed by people who took perverse pride in their accomplishments. Every second is worth savoring. And talk about brutal, but the main reason is that this shows us how quickly and easily events can happen and alter course.

When Grant comes deathly near to obliterating Bond's windpipe, it's every single sinew and ounce of strengh taxed to their utmost by both opponents. Maxed out until the reserves hit empty.

There is nothing that compares or comes close.
    Great points, Alex. I can remember an interview with Peter Hunt where he describes his exhiliration in cutting the sequence. He described editing as a battle:"You have to fight the film."

I will venture to say that the last great punch-up was 007 vs. 006. Since then? Disappointments in my book.
    Was there a decent fight in all of TND?

The Bond/Renard skirmish is a minor affair compared to its build-up.

As for DAD, the Bond/Zao fight was over before it began, and the Graves swordfight is exciting but the fight aboard the plane is an absolute abomination, the single worst fight in the history of the series.

One of the first things that must be noticed in a new Bond is how well he can handle the mayhem of henchmen everywhere.

If Daniel Craig can handle the fight scenes...thats half the battle in my books. Craig is not handsome like Pierce (and the others) but his face conveys a brutality which is absolutely Bond-like. If he can crunch a bad-guy as impressively as Connery or Lazenby did...and look good in his tux...we'll have a winner.

By the way, another terrific fight is Bond vs Bouvier in TB. Now THAT'S a Bond fight.

"You won't be needing this...old man."
  • SteedSteed Posts: 134MI6 Agent
    Bond v Red Grant
    Bond v Odd Job
    Bond v Blofeld- OHMSS (the most tense one of all, imo)
    Bond v Peter Franks (the only serious bit in the film...)

As has been said, 'Goldeneye' aside, we were spared fights of any quality in the Brosnan era. 'Die Another Day' had one of the most physically pathetic villains of the whole series, imho. A shame, as the opening had much promise yet dissolved into a hi-tech extravaganza like Moonraker did years before.
  • Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    edited April 2007
    I think that the Bond films have featured some terrific fight scenes (FRWL, GF, TB, OHMSS, DAF, LALD, TSWLM, GE and TND are just a few examples) but if I had to pick my top 3 they would be:

1)The fight with Grant aboard the train in FRWL- made in 1963, that fight has arguable only gotten better with age. Some people think that FRWL is boring. My response would be to direct them toward this particular scene.

2)Bond against Odjob in GF- Bond up against the ultimate opponent. Some people have accused the cinematic Bond of rarely being challenged enough. I don't agree with this, as I would argue that very few cinematic heroes have faced the challenge that Bond did in this fight against Oddjob.

3)Bond against Bouvier in TB's PTS- Bond goes up against a guy in a dress with the sole pupose of killing him. Bizarre, messy, exciting and arguably one of the greatest fights of all time.
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
  • Son Of BarbelSon Of Barbel Posts: 227MI6 Agent
    Bond Vs Red Grant no doubt.

But I do like the end of the Bond/Renard fight the last line was terrifc no where near FRWL nothing can compare.
  • 3rbrown3rbrown MI6 Top Secret - Scotland, GlaPosts: 100MI6 Agent
    Bond vs Grant or Bond vs Alex the most intense and brutal fights in the series
  • Harry PalmerHarry Palmer Somewhere in the past ...Posts: 325MI6 Agent
    Bond vs Red Grant is without question the most intense scene, but am I the only one who thinks Red Grant is NOT a main villain?

For me, given that Grant and Oddjob are both henchmen, the best Bond-Main Villain fight would have to be in LTK.
    1. Cr, 2. Ltk, 3. Tld, 4. Qs, 5. Ohmss, 6. Twine, 7. Tnd, 8. Tswlm, 9. Frwl, 10. Tb, 11. Ge, 12. Gf, 13. Dn, 14. Mr, 15. Op, 16. Yolt, 17. Sf, 18. Daf, 19. Avtak, 20. Sp, 21. Fyeo, 22. Dad, 23. Lald, 24. Tmwtgg
  • JarvioJarvio EnglandPosts: 4,236MI6 Agent
    2 immediately spring to mind...

Bond and Grant on the train.

Bond and Zorin on the GG bridge.

There's many more, but these 2 sprung to mind straight away. They are simply the best.
    1 - LALD, 2 - AVTAK, 3 - LTK, 4 - OP, 5 - NTTD, 6 - FYEO, 7 - SF, 8 - DN, 9 - DAF, 10 - TSWLM, 11 - OHMSS, 12 - TMWTGG, 13 - GE, 14 - MR, 15 - TLD, 16 - YOLT, 17 - GF, 18 - DAD, 19 - TWINE, 20 - SP, 21 - TND, 22 - FRWL, 23 - TB, 24 - CR, 25 - QOS

1 - Moore, 2 - Dalton, 3 - Craig, 4 - Connery, 5 - Brosnan, 6 - Lazenby