DAD am I the only one

Who actuelly likes this movie lol I know its over the top but I think its fun. Its got a really snotty villian, a cool ice castle a good secondary villian, Halle berry looking HOT HOT HOT. but most important is the hommage it pays to all the other movies, everytime I watch it I see another refferance to a previous film or the novels. I mean the stuff in Q's lab like the croc from Op,jetski From TSWLM, ect ect ect
Plus the book on orantholigy is the Book written by James Bond from which Flemming got Bonds name. So imho though it has its faults it seems it gets hammered harder than I think it deserves. Just one fans opinion

Comments

• JennyFlexFanJennyFlexFan Posts: 1,497MI6 Agent
    The homages are tired, the movie doesn't have a unique identity of its own.

Graves is a horrible villain IMO thanks to this line.

Graves: Oh look! Parachutes for the both of us! (Throws one out the window)
    Graves: Not anymore!

Like he was a kid who wouldn't share his candy... immature, bland and forgettable.

Because Halle Berry's acting was atrocious, her beauty faded to be replaced by a sensation of pure hatred for her character.

DAD, in my opinion deserves every bit, if not more of all the hammering it gets.
  • Blofeld_cccpBlofeld_cccp Posts: 16MI6 Agent
    i do agree that it sometimes does get blasted more than it deserves, it really is too over the top. Just way too much cg in it. i like graves and frost though. moonraker is way worse.
  • harryseedsharryseeds Posts: 16MI6 Agent
    yeah but you think avtak and nsna are great movies so whats that say about you lol nsna was ok some good moments but avtak was just awful it was double OLD 7 so if you can like that crappy Bond than I can like this crappy Bond
  • MoniqueMonique USAPosts: 696MI6 Agent
    Because Halle Berry's acting was atrocious, her beauty faded to be replaced by a sensation of pure hatred for her character.

As opposed to the brilliant Oscar worthy performance of Jenny Flex?? 8-)
  • Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    edited August 2006
    Yes, DAD has alot of homages, but that doesn't make it a good film. It simply means that DAD has alot of homages. I think that DAD does deserve all the condemnation that it receives.

There are seven reasons why I will forever hate DAD:
    1)Graves- a spoilt little boy whom I wish would just grow up. 8-)
    2)The screenplay- perhaps the worst of all time IMO.
    3)The CGI/invisible car- some people have criticised the aeroplane stunt in GE's PTS but at least that was convincing. The CGI/invisible car in DAD was anything but convincing IMO.
    4)The first half- I know that alot of people love the first half but I hate it, for reasons which I'm happy to expand upon if asked.
    5)The second half- I don't think I need to explain why. ;)
    6)Graves- he's so bad I had to list him again.
    7)Jinx- I hate to say this because I love Halle and would happily drop everything to marry her :D but her performance and look in DAD really disappoints me.
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
  • Mr MartiniMr Martini That nice house in the sky.Posts: 2,699MI6 Agent
    I enjoyed DAD. I enjoyed everything it had to offer. I love the invisible car. The plot is cool. I even enjoyed every single homage it showed. John Cleese as Q. I could go on for days. Don't get me wrong, it's not the best Bond movie out there. But it sure is lots of fun to watch, which is what a Bond film should be.
    Some people would complain even if you hang them with a new rope
  • TonyDPTonyDP Inside the MonolithPosts: 4,282MI6 Agent
    edited August 2006
    harryseeds wrote:
    Who actuelly likes this movie lol I know its over the top but I think its fun. Its got a really snotty villian, a cool ice castle a good secondary villian, Halle berry looking HOT HOT HOT. but most important is the hommage it pays to all the other movies, everytime I watch it I see another refferance to a previous film or the novels. I mean the stuff in Q's lab like the croc from Op,jetski From TSWLM, ect ect ect
    Plus the book on orantholigy is the Book written by James Bond from which Flemming got Bonds name. So imho though it has its faults it seems it gets hammered harder than I think it deserves. Just one fans opinion

I enjoyed DAD quite a bit as well. My first introduction to Bond was thru the movies, not the books. I've never felt the need to reconcile the cinematic version of the character with his literary one and that has allowed me to enjoy the more over the top entries like DAD and MR.

I loved the invisible Aston Martin, I loved the PTS, I loved the sword fight, I loved the fights on the plane at the end, and my, ahem, fondness for Halle Berry is well documented in these boards. About the only thing I could have done without was the CGI parasurfing scene since it was so poorly executed (if you're going to do something like that, spend the money and do it right).

I've said this many times before: I go to a James Bond movie to have fun; not to see some serious, grim, realistic spy adventure. Movies like DAD, MR, TSWLM, and DAF, though not particularly faithful to Fleming, are fun, entertaining to watch, and full of all different kinds of eye candy.

Give me an invisible car over a crotch whipping any day.
  • Norman NashNorman Nash Posts: 3MI6 Agent
    DAD is nowhere near as bad as people say it is.It IS bad, but not quite AVTAK bad. It's a return to the more *ahem* ridiculous era of MR and TSWLM, and for the most part,works. The villains are pretty lame, but are pretty well fleshed out for Bond villains (Compare Gustav Graves to Karl Stromberg, for instance), and most of the stunts work pretty well, besides the aforementioned parasurfing.

Plus, the plot makes more sense than MR, right?
    thats twice someone has mentioned what a spoiled rotten brat Graves was, THATS WHAT MAKES HIM A GOOD Villian If you hate him and want him to get his in the end that was what he was suppose to do. Thats why I like him CAUSE he was so spoiled and snotty
  • Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    edited August 2006
    harryseeds wrote:
    thats twice someone has mentioned what a spoiled rotten brat Graves was, THATS WHAT MAKES HIM A GOOD Villian If you hate him and want him to get his in the end that was what he was suppose to do. Thats why I like him CAUSE he was so spoiled and snotty
    I don't agree. A good villain IMO should either be feared or admired for his brilliance. Not only did I not fear Graves (I wasn't convinced that he posed any threat to Bond at all) but I thought his plan was unoriginal and stupid. Graves IMO is nothing more than a spoilt child, which is not great, because I simply spend much of the time waiting for a real villain to come along and slap Grave in the face for being such a brat. I do hate him but not because I think he's an evil or fearsome villain, but rather because he is IMO an incredibly annoying character who doesn't belong in a Bond film.
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
  • RogueAgentRogueAgent Speeding in the Tumbler...Posts: 3,676MI6 Agent
    edited August 2006
    Monique wrote:

Thank you, 'Nique!!!!!! {[] :)) :)) :))

This coming from the fake Roger Ebert here...
    Mrs. Man Face: "You wouldn't hit a lady? Would you?"

Batman: "The Hammer Of Justice is UNISEX!"
    -Batman: The Brave & The Bold -
  • rennervisionrennervision Posts: 106MI6 Agent
    edited August 2006
    Well, just for the sake of reference, I'll preface this by saying I consider the worst Bond films to be YOLT, TMWTGG, MR and AVTAK. Guess I'll throw NSNA into that list as well.

So - now that we've established I have good taste in Bond films ;) I'll confess that I really enjoyed DAD when I saw it in the theater. Seeing Bond in situations that I never imagined (tortured for 14 months, showing up at a hotel in Hong Kong looking like a homeless Nick Nolte), gave it a lot of points for being daring and original. Maybe I enjoyed the first half so much, I was able to overlook the flaws of the second half.

However, even though I do not hate any of the Brosnan Bonds, I always felt TND was the most formulaic - sticking to the "Official James Bond Cookie-Cutter Blueprint" on how to make a Bond film. For some reason, it seems to get a free pass on this though, and everyone rains fiery hatred down on DAD.

I would think the first half of DAD is so good, this should at least give it some protection against "Worst Bond Ever" comments.
    edited August 2006
    Monique wrote:

Oh, you did NOT just go there.

Top reasons why Jenny is great: the sexy walk she has when she goes down the stairs, every word she speaks, the glare she gives at city hall when it's on fire, when she douses the carpet with gas, and the look and her scream as the floodwaters overtake her. Plus she looks beautiful even when she's a drowned corpse!
    harryseeds wrote:
    yeah but you think avtak and nsna are great movies so whats that say about you lol nsna was ok some good moments but avtak was just awful it was double OLD 7 so if you can like that crappy Bond than I can like this crappy Bond

Opinions. AVTAK is a great movie, as is NSNA in my opinion.

DAD is a great movie in your opinion. I just voiced my opinion.
  • MoniqueMonique USAPosts: 696MI6 Agent

Top reasons why Jenny is great: the sexy walk she has when she goes down the stairs, every word she speaks, the glare she gives at city hall when it's on fire, when she douses the carpet with gas, and the look and her scream as the floodwaters overtake her!

:)) :)) You are joking I hope!! Every word she said?? What did she have...three or four?? :)) How she wasn't nominated for that "glare at city hall" is beyond me! She was robbed!
    Monique wrote:

Top reasons why Jenny is great: the sexy walk she has when she goes down the stairs, every word she speaks, the glare she gives at city hall when it's on fire, when she douses the carpet with gas, and the look and her scream as the floodwaters overtake her!

:)) :)) You are joking I hope!! Every word she said?? What did she have...three or four?? :)) How she wasn't nominated for that "glare at city hall" is beyond me! She was robbed!

:))

• MBE_MBE_ USAPosts: 266MI6 Agent
    RogueAgent wrote:
    Monique wrote:

:))

Hey, Ellen Burstyn was just nominated for an Emmy for 35 seconds of screentime. It could have happenned. :))

MBE
    Monique wrote:

Top reasons why Jenny is great: the sexy walk she has when she goes down the stairs, every word she speaks, the glare she gives at city hall when it's on fire, when she douses the carpet with gas, and the look and her scream as the floodwaters overtake her. Plus she looks beautiful even when she's a drowned corpse!
    edited August 2006
    Come on! Monique, you have to admit that, if you aren't an AVTAK fan, Jenny is a more positive aspect of the film.

Alison's acting is not horrible at all, her screen time is very limited, unlike Halle's amount and acting ability which are both cringeworthy.

Plus, Jenny has many more words to say than you think.

Jenny: Welcome Sir, I'm Jenny Flex.
    Jenny: I'll call a porter.
    Jenny: Yes I love an early morning ride.
    Jenny: The reception is at six.
    Jenny: (muttering in French in the background with Pan Ho)
    Jenny: Aiiiie! (about to get washed down)

23 words! 23 WORDS!

Plus, no one can argue with her sexy walk.

That glare is city hall is just plain evil looking by the way, if you pay close attention and she's wearing a mischievous grin during the whole sequence.

I mean, Alison's performance is good in her limited screen name (and is stupendous when given more in Indy III).

However with all the time Halle Berry spent on the screen, her acting was cringeworthy and her character wasn't even likeable.

So, if any of you think of bashing the wonderful Ms. Flex again, you'll have to sit through one of these posts!
    harryseeds wrote:
    Monique wrote:

I must give you credit for originality for picking a Bond Girl. I had barely noticed her until I came on this site and certainly did not know the actress's name and I am generally pretty good about knowing the actors names in Bond Films. But I usually only remember those with more than two lines of dialouge. Also You may be the only person I have ever heard say avtok was a great Bond Film. So in those regards you are certainly one of a kind !!!! Maybe you can be the charter member of AVTAK remake society lets bring back Roger for one more go round I think he is still under 80 , just barely, but hey how much older can he look than he did in that film to begin with
    edited August 2006
    Plus, no one can argue with her sexy walk.

Now you're just being blasphemous. Any man with an ounce of testosterone can see that Halle has a sexier walk that Ms. Doody. So yeah, I can argue... The only thing I will say is that Berry's character going toe to toe alongside Bond was a bit excessive.

I can name 10 Bond girls that are more memorable than your AVTAK femme fantasy... 8-)

Yes, there are many more memorable than Jenny Flex.

However, the combination of Alison's walk IN the equestrian clothes just takes the cake for me! It's irresistible!
    Yes, there are many more memorable than Jenny Flex.

However, the combination of Alison's walk IN the equestrian clothes just takes the cake for me! It's irresistible!

I can see that there will be alot of role-playing between you and your future wife, JFF.

You going to wear a saddle? :D

• NightshooterNightshooter In bed with SolitairePosts: 2,917MI6 Agent

So, if any of you think of bashing the wonderful Ms. Flex again, you'll have to sit through one of these posts!

Please... no one else ever mention her again...

Seriously... you counted the number of words she uttered... geeeeeeezz...

Please... no one else ever mention her again...

Seriously... you counted the number of words she uttered... geeeeeeezz...

:)) Now that's "hard-up".

Only JFF can evolve a thread from DAD to AVTAK...

yeah your right this was a dad thread forgot, and I started it lol.JFF sure is devoted to ms Flex and AVTAK well the movie has to have at least ONE FAN
    edited August 2006
    I can turn any thread into an AVTAK thread! ;)

Nightshooter, perhaps I should've elaborated more. If Jenny is mentioned in a positive light, there will not be a post like this, however in the rare occasion she is mentioned in a negative light there will by dire consequences!

Nightshooter, perhaps I should've elaborated more. If Jenny is mentioned in a positive light, there will not be a post like this, however in the rare occasion she is mentioned in a negative light there will by dire consequences!
    how about insinifigant light as that would be more appropriate lol
  • NightshooterNightshooter In bed with SolitairePosts: 2,917MI6 Agent

I know, JFF, I was only kidding. AJB wouldn't be the same without your fanboy rants. :D
  • Thomas CrownThomas Crown Posts: 119MI6 Agent
    In answer to your main question, no ;)

However to be more specific, Die Another Day was actually very well received by many critics and fans at it's release. While there is no question the film has been casted in a bad light by some in the fan base, those who immaturely despise the film with name-calling are in a small minority in the larger movie going population.

My own personal take on the film is a moderate one. Die Another Day's strengths lie in a developed, mature performance in Pierce Brosnan that stays strong in spite of the films weak spots, close ties to the Moonraker novel, and a first half that is better overall than some whole Bond films. Its weaknesses, however potent they maybe, don't outweigh the strengths. There is no question that the dialogue needed a polish, the CGI toned down, and a bit more consistency is needed in the tone of the film.

These do hurt my enjoyment of the film, but right before I allow these factors to make me pull it out of the DVD machine, I'm reminded of the excellent chemistry seen in the first half, or the compelling swordfight, one of the best car chases in the series, and the most memorable Moneypenny scene to date. The film is nowhere close to perfect, but there is enough to make it worthy. I'd probably give it about a 7.5/10