Iron Man

1181920212224»

Comments

• RogueAgentRogueAgent Speeding in the Tumbler...Posts: 3,676MI6 Agent
    edited May 2010
    darenhat wrote:
    Also I loved the
    throwaway scene with Captain America's shield. If anything, it tied up a mystery from the first film as to whether or not that was really's Cap's shield was saw laying on the table.

I liked that scene too. As I presumed, that's going to end up as a revised version that Stark or his dad had been working on not knowing yet that it would soon be used. At this part of the continuity, it's nothing more than a scrap project Stark might be working on when he has the time. Its usefullness will become quite clearer once Avengers rolls around...
    and it won't be just a prop
    . Just speculation on my part really, your guess is as good as mine.

Which makes me wonder about the Cap movie next summer. How will they get around explaing its properties while not bringing up the source in which its materials originated? Wakanda which is the Black Panther's backyard. T'Challa's father gave Cap the first prototype (the kite looking one) as a sign of friendship I believe and the second one was made with the same type alien metal that Wakanda is rich of: Vibranium.

I doubt that Stark's version has these materials and maybe that's why it's unfinished. The Wakandans have always been written to be territorial when it comes to their precious metal and surprisingly have the tech to defend it from outsiders.
    Mrs. Man Face: "You wouldn't hit a lady? Would you?"

Batman: "The Hammer Of Justice is UNISEX!"
    -Batman: The Brave & The Bold -
  • TonyDPTonyDP Inside the MonolithPosts: 4,288MI6 Agent
    As is the case with many of these superhero movies, I have a feeling the details behind stuff like Cap's shield will be simplified. They'll probably say the shield was made of some exotic mineral from a faraway land (if they even give us that much) and leave it at that.

Also, I think its important to remember that the release order of the films doesn't necessarily correspond to when they occur chronologically. For example, if you take Tony Stark's appearance at the end of The Incredible Hulk, where he tells Ross he's putting a team together, I think that scene (and maybe the entire movie) occurs sometime after the events of Iron Man 2, since Stark seems far more involved and vested in said "team" than he was in either Iron Man film. Likewise, Cap may have already been located and thawed when we saw his shield in Iron Man.
  • RogueAgentRogueAgent Speeding in the Tumbler...Posts: 3,676MI6 Agent
    edited May 2010
    ^^^That would be the way to go with that.

Well once the dust settled, apparently IM2 didn't rake in what was once thought. According to Box Office Mojo, it scooped in less than what Paramount was estimating and apparently only made 128 million.

Far from chickenfeed mind you but poor word of mouth and an early release overseas prompting pirated copies online might have stumped its take. I don't expect much of a drop off come next week though...

I know that Marvel was pulling out all of the stops by letting this open in dozens of extra theatres even breaking the record for TDK's theatre count. Before going to see this Saturday, I thought it was a shoe-in to pull down 140-160 million tops. ?:)

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/daily/chart/?sortdate=2010-05-09&p=.htm
    Mrs. Man Face: "You wouldn't hit a lady? Would you?"

Batman: "The Hammer Of Justice is UNISEX!"
    -Batman: The Brave & The Bold -
  • PendragonPendragon ColoradoPosts: 2,640MI6 Agent
    the after credits made me giggle like a 2 year old. my friend's girlfriend was the only other one in my group that got it and we geeked for a few minutes.

all in all, IM2 was good IMO. action scenes were a bit disjointed, and I shared Rouge Junior's facepalm moment...that was just a bit TOO ridiculous. even if he was drunk.

a bit off topic, but still about Iron Man...does anyone have a nice capture of Stark's arc reactor (either comic book or movie, but preferably movie)? I'm having issues finding/capping one and I need it for a personal project. I'd be eternally grateful :x
    Hey! Observer! You trying to get yourself Killed?

mountainburdphotography.wordpress.com
    Pendragon wrote:
    a bit off topic, but still about Iron Man...does anyone have a nice capture of Stark's arc reactor (either comic book or movie, but preferably movie)? I'm having issues finding/capping one and I need it for a personal project. I'd be eternally grateful :x

How about this one. Really large pic so I'm only posting a link:

http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs37/f/2008/251/d/f/IronMan_Arc_Reactor_Heart_by_TimDrakeRobin.jpg
  • PendragonPendragon ColoradoPosts: 2,640MI6 Agent
    TonyDP wrote:
    Pendragon wrote:

How about this one. Really large pic so I'm only posting a link:

http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs37/f/2008/251/d/f/IronMan_Arc_Reactor_Heart_by_TimDrakeRobin.jpg

:D that's a great one! the paint in the background looks JUST like the paint in the dorm room I moved out of last friday...weird. Thanks Tony :x
    Hey! Observer! You trying to get yourself Killed?

mountainburdphotography.wordpress.com
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,886Chief of Staff
    I managed to take in Iron Man 2 yesterday. On the whole, I was satisfied and I liked it; but, as a few others have pointed out, it lacks the freshness and originality of the first film. I was also a bit annoyed by the fact there was zero advancement of the Tony/Pepper angle (Paltrow really seemed to have little to do this time), and I really missed the villainy Jeff Bridges brought to the first film. Mickey Rourke bordered on being sympathetic, and Sam Rockwell was too smarmy-comic to be much of a threat. The big Iron Man/War Machine/Whiplash finale was over waaay to fast. And, good grief, with the theme of sons trying to reconnect with/avenge their dead fathers, this could have been directed by Tim Burton!

But what I did enjoy was the overall feel of the movie. I like that this went in a different direction--Stark not just being a superhero, but being a celebrity superhero and trying to deal with the consequences of his own actions. I didn't find the action draggy at all, and I actually appreciated that, for once, an action movie didn't have blow something up every five minutes. I was also amused by the depiction of Tony's father as a kind of Walt Disney; and Robert Downey Jr. was such a blast he makes the whole film work. All in all, an unpretentious and fun superhero flick, well worth a couple hours' viewing time.
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • ellachan91ellachan91 Posts: 5MI6 Agent
    marvel's comics turn into cinema is awesome,nice kick-ass and Iron Man series.
    Just a heads up for anyone interested: Iron Man 2 will be released on BluRay and DVD next week. While I didn't think IM2 was nearly as good as the first one (nothing in the film matches Tony Stark's explosive escape in the Mark I) its still a watchable film with some good action and hardware.

As additional incentive, the extended trailer to Thor and a teaser for Captain America will be on the disc as hidden easter eggs (rumor has it they're tied into the SHIELD database).

Numerous stores will have various editions of the title, including this sweet looking steelcase edition from Target:

51V8BX5HmpL.jpg
  • Agent_MAgent_M lost in the speed forcePosts: 353MI6 Agent
    oh that's nice.

I't just a shame that for some reason we're getting it next month over here.
    Purvis,Wade...........GRRRRRRRR!

www.scottacademymartialarts.co.uk
    I decided to splurge and got the limited edition Steelbook BluRay from Target. It has a really neat 3D-like lenticular cover but one of the plastic tabs connecting the disk holder to the inside spine of the case broke as soon as I touched it.

As to the movie itself, I enjoyed it far more at home than I did in the movie theater. It isn't as good as the original but still has its share of entertaining scenes and watching Iron Man and War Machine tear thru Hammer's drones at the end is almost worth the price alone (almost). The pacing also seemed more brisk than I remembered with the drunken party scene being the only time that I got slightly fidgety.

There are a ton of features that I haven't had a chance to peruse yet; I'm particularly interested in hearing Favreau's audio commentary which, even though it was done right after filming, apparently addresses some of the problems he had in making the film including the short production schedule. There are also some allusions to creative meddling on the part of Marvel which further compromised his ability to make the film he wanted.

Overall a good package if you're a fan of the character.
  • darenhatdarenhat The Old PuebloPosts: 2,029Quartermasters
    Target was out of the Limited Edition version of IM2 when I showed up last night. I was only intending to purchase the 'regular' edition anyway, but I wanted to at least look at the packaging. The film held up okay for my second viewing, but I still am disappointed by the lack of major action sequences until the end battle.

Like me, my wife got goosebumps when she saw the post-credit sequence :D
    Several sites are reporting that Disney (which now owns Marvel) has bought up the distribution rights to The Avengers and Iron Man from Paramount for $115 million. Paramount will still be distributing Thor and Captain America next year before it pulls the plug on its lucrative involvement with Marvel.

Also, Disney has already announced an official release date for Iron Man 3: May 3, 2013

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/47087
    Looks like John Favreau is severing his association with Marvel as he has confirmed that he will not be directing Iron Man 3.

Not sure how I feel about this just yet; while I thought Iron Man was one of the best comic book movies ever made I must confess to having been marginally disappointed with IM2. There were too many characters and subplots and not enough action. A lot of that can probably be chalked up to meddling on the part of Marvel as it tried to use IM2 to launch even more franchises and Favreau himself has made several allusions that the cinematic universe Marvel is trying to build is getting toocomplicated. Regardless of that, IM2's even greater emphasis on ad-libbing and improv and Downey's goofier take on Stark can all probably be at least partially attributed to Favreau and I do think the film suffered for it. Also, choreographing action sequences really wasn't his forte as most of the action in IM2 especially came and went far too quickly.

It will be interesting to see who Disney chooses to give the franchise to; I wouldn't be surprised if the box office performance of Thor, Captain America and Avengers would factor in that decision.
  • Barry NelsonBarry Nelson ChicagoPosts: 1,508MI6 Agent
    After many months (years) of delay I finally saw Iron Man 2 last night. I really enjoyed the first Iron Man so I don't know why it took so long to see the follow up. Now that I watched it, I have a mixed review, let's start with I liked.

One of the things I like about Iron Man is we actually have character development as opposed to the wall to wall action we get in some other films. I liked how we learned about Tony’s relationship with his father and how we get to see his self destructive behavior. I know some thought the film had too little action, I was actually OK with the amount of action, although the final battle with Whiplash was too short and anti-climatic. Scarlett Johansson as Black Widow was an excellent addition. I thought she played the part well and was convincing in her action scenes. Her demeanor when she entered the building where Whiplash was located and walked down the hallway battling the guards was one of supreme confidence. I look forward to more from her. Mickey Rourke as Whiplash made for an interesting bad guy, although his role could have been expanded.

As for what I didn't like. The Justin Hammer character as played by Sam Rockwell was annoying and unconvincing, I didn't really believe he was a major weapons manufacturer. The scene where he dances on stage while making a presentation at a conference was ridicules. I could have done without the Don Cheadle character, I didn't have a problem with his performance, I just thought the film had one character too many and he would have been the character I cut. As I mentioned briefly before, the final battle scene was anti climatic and not well staged. The start of the battle was a blur of lights and explosions as Iron Man flies through the air, the battle with the droids was again just a bunch of explosion and the final battle with Whiplash was too short. My last complaint is at times it seemed like the story stopped so that The Avengers movie could be promoted.

In summary, I enjoyed the film and Scarlett Johansson was a good addition, but it wasn’t quite as good as the first Iron Man.