Lost Season 3 (USA)

Comments

• Mr MartiniMr Martini That nice house in the sky.Posts: 2,699MI6 Agent
    Hardyboy wrote:

It was all very Clockwork Orange-ish, wasn't it? It looks like they're practicing some sort of brainwashing technique, and perhaps it only affects men, which might explain why Sawyer was temporariliy entranced by the words and images.

I've never seen Clockwork Orange . If it's as weird as Lost was this past Wednesday I'll have to check it out soon.
    Some people would complain even if you hang them with a new rope
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,882Chief of Staff
    The weirdness continues! A flashback-within-a-flashback! Or was it a flashback? The episode played with the idea that the explosion in the hatch either sent Desmond back in time to live his life over again (and it's pointless to do so because, the old lady argues, what will happen will happen) or that he was suffering the whole time from a concussion--and maybe the concussion made him psychic. Who knows? On the whole, I thought it was a pretty good ep up until the arrival of Fionulla Flanagan, who was essentially playing the old lady from the last two Matrix movies--or Basil Exposition, take your pick. I think the show worked better when you didn't know for sure what was going on.

Otherwise, it was nice to see some of the regulars again, especially after that extended time with the Others. I'd never really realized what a jerk Charlie has become--selfish, clingy, desperate to be in the middle of everything. I can fully understand why Locke belted him a while back. Still, I enjoyed Charlie's cameo in the flashback--playing Oasis, for pity's sake! And that revelation about Charlie at the end--shivers! And I wouldn't put it past Lost to actually do it!

I wish I could figure out the show's fascination with naming characters after empiricist philosophers. First there's John Locke, named after the great thinker who believed man is guided by reason; and now we find out Desmond's full name is Desmond David Hume. Of course, David Hume, the Scottish philosopher who postulated that all we can really know is what our eyes and senses tell us! So is this all part of the producers' sense of irony, making THIS Locke a man who is guided by faith and THIS Hume a man who understands there's more out there than what we can see, smell, and taste? Or is it just another Lost mindflub, on the same order as "Henry Gale?" Yeah, that was a significant name. . .

Blooper alert! When Desmond walks by the recruitment office, he stares at a poster telling him that he could serve with "honor." This is supposed to be London, folks--surely he'd serve with honour?

Anyway, on to next week's adventures, and, perhaps, the spectacle of Charlie as the central character in Final Destination 4.
    Vox clamantis in deserto
    Hardyboy wrote:

And that revelation about Charlie at the end--shivers! And I wouldn't put it past Lost to actually do it!

While we see Desmondo can see the future, we also know he can be wrong. Remember in the bar...whoops, I mean, Pub, when he was talking with his friend about time travel. He thought he knew the outcome of the soccer game on the TV. But he was wrong, it was the next night that they soccer team won the game. My theory is, maybe it's not Charlie who's going to die, but Claire. Remember, the pshycic told her she'd be in great danager if she had the baby. Also remember, she was in both scenes where Charlie was supposed to die.

Looks like next week we'll get more answers. I'm sure more questions will be raised though.
    It looks like Mr. Martini and me are the only Lost watchers around now. If so, this may represent a pretty alarming trend, as evidenced by this article (edited version appears below):

LOS ANGELES - "Lost" crashed in the ratings last week (Fenruary 14), hitting an all-time low for a new episode.

ABC's drama about plane crash survivors stranded on a mysterious island drew an estimated 12.8 million viewers Wednesday, according to preliminary figures from Nielsen Media Research. That's well off the peak of more than 20 million for the drama that became an instant sensation when it debuted in September 2004.

ABC has worked hard to try to protect a show that helped turn the network's fortunes around, moving it to 9 p.m. Wednesday this year to steer clear of Fox's blockbuster "American Idol" and CBS's increasingly strong "Criminal Minds."

. . .The show's Feb. 7 return was heavily promoted and drew nearly 14.5 million viewers. But the bounce didn't last, with the show slumping this week.

Although protected from top-rated "American Idol" in its new time 9 p.m. time slot, "Lost" now has the disadvantage of trying to draw viewers at an hour when fewer people are watching television. Valentine's Day put a 7 percent dent in overall TV viewership. . . .

Some fans and critics complain that the story has gotten confusing and unsatisfying.

The show, named best drama at the 2005 Emmy Awards, was shut out at the 2006 ceremony.

Not too encouraging, is it? I have to admit, I miss the earlier time slot and I really miss the old dynamic of the show--time was, we'd see all the major characters in some capacity or other in every episode--but Lost is still a quality program and I'm willing to stick with it. Who's with me?

Anyway, on to the most recent ep. At last--the story behind Jack's tattoo! Interesting to know that what marks him as a leader also marks him as an outsider and a pariah. It wasn't too hard to miss that Juliet's plight was parallel to Jack's, as she ends up similarly marked. And, is it just me, or has Jack become a more interesting character since he's become grouchy and unpleasant? I never really cottoned to the sanctimonious Jack.

It's a shame there wasn't more of Sawyer and Kate. Then again, I think Carl is an annoying character and I have no idea why the producers saddled Sawyer and Kate with him. Still, I liked Sawyer's equivalent of "guy talk"--pounding the kid on the shoulder--and, as always, Sawyer gets the best lines: "You got any maps on you, Magellan?"

Well, next week they're promising the big reunion. They'd better deliver. It's like a few of these characters up and vanished!
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • darenhatdarenhat The Old PuebloPosts: 2,029Quartermasters
    Hey! I still watch the show. But I fell seriously behind during season two and had to catch up with the series on DVD. Now I'm behind and I'm waiting for Season 3 to be released :#

Both Mrs Hat and I love the show, but I've been avoiding the thread for fear of spoilers. Couldn't resist so I popped in here just to see what the action is like...

Anyway, HB, if it's any comfort, last week my house was participating in the Nielsen ratings survey, and I made sure Lost appeared in my TV viewing journal (I didn't watch it, but the wife deftly argued that we perfectly intend to watch it later, so therefore it counts).
  • John DrakeJohn Drake On assignmentPosts: 2,564MI6 Agent
    I’m with you HB. It would be a shame if something so inventive died because of a lack of interest. I can see it going the same way as ‘Twin Peaks,’ another cult show that crossed over into the mainstream, but lost the interest of that audience in its second season and didn’t last too much longer than that. However, TP gave up its main secret quite early on and couldn’t really sustain the interest. I think ‘Lost’ has held together much better and is nowhere near Jumping the Shark. I do think the writers have an idea where they’re going with this and I hope they’re given the time to do this.

Anyway, I need help. ?:) We’re an episode behind the US, so we’ve just had the Desmond episode. But am I right in thinking that when Desmond’s story was shown in Season 2 it took place in the States? I was sure that Alan Dale was originally playing an American, not an Englishman. Is it my memory that’s faulty or were we deliberately shown something that wasn’t quite true to indicate that Desmond didn’t really have an opportunity to change things. That what Desmond was experiencing was essentially taking place in his mind, even though many of the events shown DID happen to him originally. Being humiliated by Pen’s father, ending the relationship with her, etc, they were things he’d experienced first time around. But the opportunity to relive those moments and make them different was never there because what surrounds them was false. Or something. Or something else. Or I don’t know. Guess that’s why it’s called ‘Lost.’
    I've never missed an episode of Lost. I may come into this thread a day or two late, but it's because of work. Now that I have my TiVo set up for the season pass feature for Lost, I can watch anytime. I hope also the show can be seen in it's entirety(sp?). It's my understanding the show is only supposed to last 4 or 5 seasons.

Anyway, this weeks show really didn't wow me in anyway. I was trying to figure out what the asian ladys profession was (believe me, the way she was dressed in some scenes had me thinking). It seems she's some sort of person who can see people. Not to sure why this episode happened. The 3 big secrets revealed didn't seem all that great. I can only remember one, and that's the "others" don't live on the island. Lets see what happens next week......
    Well, it's good to know there's still love for Lost. And tonight's episode was a real refreshing change, because, well, it was pretty much back to normal. There were no Others this time out, and we were treated to some genuinely funny stuff--the mishaps of Roger the corpse, the banter between Sawyer and Hurley ("You. . .redneck. . .man!" "Touche."), Sawyer and Jin getting bombed on flat, skunky beer and discussing how to talk to women. . . We also got to see all the old cast members (except Jack, Michael, and Walt, of course) in some capacity or other, and even the French woman made an appearance. Best of all: the flashbacks were all Hurley's, and we learn that his father is none other than Cheech! All in all, it was like coming home. :D
    Vox clamantis in deserto
    HB, you didn't mentiion the best line of the show, belonging to Sawyer of course. "Well, look who's hooked on Phonics."

This was a decent episode. Last week they said something about a long awaited reunion. Now I wonder if they meant Kate and Sawyer back at home or that we get to see Rousseau again. We also heard "Freckels" tell Rousseau she thinks Alex is her daughter. Hmmmmmm, makes me wonder about something. Did Rous have a affair with Ben, or is Alex being falsely led to believe Ben is her biological father? I guess we'll find out soon enough.
    Mr Martini wrote:
    HB, you didn't mentiion the best line of the show, belonging to Sawyer of course. "Well, look who's hooked on Phonics."

Yeah, I forgot about that one. . .and it brings to mind one of my favorite aspects of tonight's episode: Sawyer's punishment for losing the ping-pong game is that he has to refrain from nicknames for a week. Ha!

Again, it was another return-to-form ep. Locke, Kate, and Sayid back in their roles as explorers; the sinister Mikhail revealed; comic relief with Sawyer and Hurley; Locke again being incapable of keeping his hands off a computer--with disastrous consequences; and a poignant back story of Sayid meeting a former victim in Paris. It's like Lost has come home. . .
    Vox clamantis in deserto
    Finally, more to Sayid. It seems like so long ago that the show has focused on one of, if not the best and smartest charector (no offense to Locke) of the show. not sure what else to say.

One question, the guy playing Sami (he's the husband of the woman Sayid tortured). I know I've seen him in something else, but I don't know what. Anybody seen him in something "mainstream?"

P.S. Hopefully we'll get more to Lockes backstory soon.
    Man, this show is back on course with a vengeance! For the first time in ages we get a story about Claire, and it had next to nothing to do with her baby. For once, she's the brains, coming up with a good idea to catch tagged sea birds and affix messages to them; and Desmond's seeming attempts to stop her all relate to Charlie's impending death. Once she realizes the truth, Claire and Charlie are brought closer together. And speaking of closeness, here's the mind-blowing part of the flashback: not that Claire looked pretty darned good Gothed up, but that Jack's father. . .
    . . .is Claire's father too!

Also worth noting was the trek through the jungle that revealed Locke at his meanest, tossing Mikhail into what turns out to be a horrible death; and the whole "perimeter of death" deal was a reminder of how much off-the-wall fun this show can be. The ending reveal was also nifty, but somehow I doubt that Jack has joined the side of the Others.

And I am really jonesin' for next week's episode. Please, ABC, don't let this be more of your "this-is-the-episode-everyone-will-talk-about" hype! Please, please deliver on your promise! If they're not lying, then we will finally learn one of the greatest of all Lost mysteries. . .

How and why Locke got put into a wheelchair!

Oooooh, I just can't wait!
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • cosmo_kramercosmo_kramer Duluth, MinnesotaPosts: 24MI6 Agent
    I knew Christian was going to somehow be ralted to Claire, but I never suspected him to be her father. I thought he was going to be a distant uncle or something. Hopefully her and Jack don't get all "Shannon and Boone" on each other accidentally. But you never know, as they say, 'the island works in mysterious ways'.
    Hardyboy wrote:
    Man, this show is back on course with a vengeance! For the first time in ages we get a story about Claire, and it had next to nothing to do with her baby. For once, she's the brains, coming up with a good idea to catch tagged sea birds and affix messages to them; and Desmond's seeming attempts to stop her all relate to Charlie's impending death. Once she realizes the truth, Claire and Charlie are brought closer together. And speaking of closeness, here's the mind-blowing part of the flashback: not that Claire looked pretty darned good Gothed up, but that Jack's father. . .
    . . .is Claire's father too!

!

For me this seemed kind of anti-climatic. I think it was in season 1, we Christian driving around with Sawyer I think, we see Sawyer drive to a house on a rainy night. In the distance he see Christian
    talking to a woman who closely resembled Claire. I thought Christian said he had to visit his daughter. She was very upset to see him then also. So we can figure that if what I remember took place, it had to happen after the accident, by maybe a couple of days.
    Does anyone else remember this?
    Mr Martini wrote:

Yes, I remember the episode--and I also remember the daughter was a distance away and kind of obscured by the rain; so last night's revelation was a bit of a surprise. What's interesting is that all these flashbacks seem to indicate that the characters on the island were all somehow connected before the crash. Maybe what it comes down to is that the show isn't about an elaborate conspiracy or anything supernatural--it's just all about how everyone is really part of the same human family, but we're all blind to the fact.

OK, everyone, join hands and sing--Kum-bah-yah, my Lord, kum-bah-yah!
    Vox clamantis in deserto
    . . .And tonight's episode didn't disappoint! Yep, we saw it--how Locke was put into a wheelchair. . .and, man, it was a jolting moment! But the flashback did more than reveal Locke's big secret--it established how thoroughly twisted and evil is Locke's father. Ah, yes, Lost's uber-theme: fathers and sons, fathers and daughters, daughters and fathers, sons and fathers. Strange how mothers play such an insignigicant role in the show!

Otherwise, what made the episode interesting was the scenes between Locke and Ben, and the obvious irony therein: one man can leave a wheelchair and the other is put into one. The episode seems to be playing with the idea that Locke and Ben may be polar forces, each one deriving something different from the island. And what seems to be a major (though somewhat obvious) mystery has been divulged: at the heart of the island is a "box" that, when you open it, will produce whatever you want. Not much was made of it, but I wonder if this is one of the elements the writers have planted in the show as a way of bringing it to an end. The problem to be solved, of course, is what the box really is.

As for next week, well, ABC is again promising that someone will die. I wonder if it's one of the two new people, who are both pretty disposable anyway. Can the new guy be killed, though? After all, when you shave his head, pluck his eyebrows, put some makeup and piercings on him, magnify his height to eight foot, and turn his voice into an androgynous blast, you get. . .Xerxes the Great!
    Vox clamantis in deserto
    Hardyboy wrote:

As for next week, well, ABC is again promising that someone will die. I wonder if it's one of the two new people, who are both pretty disposable anyway. Can the new guy be killed, though? After all, when you shave his head, pluck his eyebrows, put some makeup and piercings on him, magnify his height to eight foot, and turn his voice into an androgynous blast, you get. . .Xerxes the Great!

Hmmmmm. I'm guessing it won't be one of the two new people. I'm guessing it'll be
    Claire
    Why? Because I don't think
    she
    has much time left on the show. I read somwhere that
    there will be more than one funeral before seasons end
    I also read that
    Charlie won't be returning next season
    So without that , I say
    Claire dies first, then Charlie will die in the season finale
    and...
    the baby will just be forgotten about
    or...
    be raised offscreen by everyone

:D :D :D :D
    What a depressing scenario. :( I hope you're wrong, Mr. M, 'cause
    Claire
    is
    cute as a bug
    !
    Vox clamantis in deserto
    And the "death" episode has aired. All I can say is, for the first time in a long time, an episode of Lost left me saying, "Wow!"

This was a real dandy, and it reminded me not so much of Lost itself, but of a classic Twilight Zone episode. As the story unfolds, we see what led
    Nikki and Paolo
    to their much deserved "deaths," and the reveal at the end of the ep was a wonderful "gotcha" twist.

Otherwise, the story was a lot of fun--it was surprisingly funny, with all the goings-on around dead bodies; and it was also entertaining to see the events of the previous seasons unfolding before the eyes of little known characters who turn out to have an agenda entirely their own. It was also a blast to see a bunch of similarly-departed castaways in the show: Shannon and Boone, Ethan, and the explosive Dr. Arzt. The running joke of "Who are you?" also worked very well, especially since viewers have pretty well been asking that all season long, and now we know.
    Vox clamantis in deserto
    After watching the episode tonight (bless my TiVo) I'm left with a some what sour taste in my mouth. The writers are trying to introduce us to charectors who've been around the whole time, but never seen until a few weeks ago. They then try to recap 2 1/2 years of season (about 80 day Island time) into a one hour episode. Maybe this is a set up for a future happening on the island. As for now, this episode didn't need to air. They could've explored something else.
  • ShawnShawn Posts: 21MI6 Agent
    Hardyboy wrote:
    Mr Martini wrote:

Yes, I remember the episode--and I also remember the daughter was a distance away and kind of obscured by the rain; so last night's revelation was a bit of a surprise. What's interesting is that all these flashbacks seem to indicate that the characters on the island were all somehow connected before the crash. Maybe what it comes down to is that the show isn't about an elaborate conspiracy or anything supernatural--it's just all about how everyone is really part of the same human family, but we're all blind to the fact.

OK, everyone, join hands and sing--Kum-bah-yah, my Lord, kum-bah-yah!

I have to agree with you there. :)

I still think though that maybe there not on the island, it seems more like a bad dream.....but who's?
  • cosmocosmo Posts: 52MI6 Agent
    Mr Martini wrote:
    After watching the episode tonight (bless my TiVo) I'm left with a some what sour taste in my mouth. The writers are trying to introduce us to charectors who've been around the whole time, but never seen until a few weeks ago. They then try to recap 2 1/2 years of season (about 80 day Island time) into a one hour episode. Maybe this is a set up for a future happening on the island. As for now, this episode didn't need to air. They could've explored something else.
    ...i loved this episode.it reminded me of some of the oddball episodes of the x files they used to throw in now and then.anyway we'll be back to the main storyline this week.
    Hmmm--Evangeline Lily and Elizabeth Mitchell handcuffed together and slapping each other in the mud. If they were in less clothing I'd say the writers got this from one of my dreams! :o

Anyway, an enjoyable though not great episode. I liked the conceit of Kate and Juliet being linked to each other; and I especially thought the the flashback, showing that Kate and Sawyer's duped significant other, Cassidy, had an adventure together, was interesting. What was it I said before about the show really being about how everyone's lives have intersected yet we're all too self-absorbed to see how connected we are? This episode could stand as Exhibit A.

Otherwise, there were plenty of good things here. It was nice seeing Juliet as a butt-kicker instead of the uber-Stepford wife she usually is, and good to see that the producers haven't forgotten about the smog monster. The subplot involving Sawyer trying to get on everyone's good side to avoid getting "voted off the island" was enjoyable, but I pretty much knew he was being scammed.

And, you know, until Kate mentioned it at the start of this episode I hadn't thought about Danielle's last name being Rousseau. Locke, Hume, and Rousseau. . .18th century empiricist philosophers. What on earth is up with that?

Till next week. . .
    Vox clamantis in deserto
    This weeks episode was better than last weeks show. But I still have to wonder what's going on.

What is the smog monsters(good name HB) part in this?

*Sidenote. No visions were seen by me in the smog. Trust me, I went frame by frame twice and saw nothing.

Were did all the others go and why did they leave "blondie" behind?

I still like Locke, but has he made a deal to get off the island?

I'm also slightly disapointed by the "Rumble in the Jungle" Should of been longer and had no handcuffs.
    Well, Mr. M, I guess now you know why they left "Blondie" behind. . .

Anyway, another solid episode, and I liked how they gave the simplest possible answer to some of the biggest questions over the last three seasons. Why did The Others take the children? Why did they kidnap Claire? Because women on the island can't have babies, that's why. I wonder. . .was this plot point always in the writers' minds, or did someone on the writing staff rent Children of Men last week?

It's interesting to see how the show has pretty well come full circle now. . .everyone's back on the beach and almost every new addition to the cast is kaput. It's almost like the original group is back together and back where they all belong.

The flashback involving Juliette was interesting and compelling, showing how desperately she wants to get off the island and how she is essentially a prisoner. Or is it all a great big mind____ on the part of the producers? After the final "reveal," we know that Juliette's sympathies are not perhaps where we think they are.

And just today did I realize that Juliette's last name is Burke. Good grief--could this be after Edmund Burke, the 18th century British parliamentarian and political theorist who supported the American Revolution? We've got Burke, Locke, Rousseau, and Hume. . .maybe everyone on the island flunked their 18th century history and philosophy classes, and now they're being punished?

Oh, and Nestor Carbinell. Fine actor, but, I hate to say it, every time I see him I can only think of the short-lived Tick TV series and Mr. Carbinell's role therein: Bat-Manuel.

Just five more eps left in the season. . .
    Vox clamantis in deserto
    Hardyboy wrote:
    Well, Mr. M, I guess now you know why they left "Blondie" behind. . .

Yup. :D

Another decent episode. The flashback picks up right where the last flashback of Juliette left off. I think that's a Lost first. It also seems that the writers are trying to show us that Ethan, Ben and the "others" are nice people who actually care for everyone. At least that's what i saw. Ethan being very gentle with Juliette. Ben being overly nice with Julie at the dock? What made them turn from good to evil?

Lastly. What does Ben have up his sleeve. Julie is obviously a traitor an doesn't care about the surviours. She (by way of Ben) makes up a story about Claires illness so she can implant a device in her. I'm also slightly confused. Julie grabbed a gas mask. We know Julie told "Freckles" she was gassed also, but we didn't see Julie getting gassed. so the mask Julie grabbed, was that for the gassing of her and "Freckles" or is something else going to happen. Things are getting weird ? :s ?:) :s
    Hmmm. . .after all that hype about there being only five episodes left in the season and something great happening, I expected tonight's show to be a real barnburner. Turns out it was a pretty low-key affair, this one going even further back into Desmond's past, back to when he was--of all things--a failed monk! What is it with these characters and their religious callings? I'm starting to wonder if we won't find out that Kate used to be a nun!

Anyway, there was plenty of fun stuff this time out: Charlie's latest near death, the great Superman vs. Flash debate, Jin's telling of a ghost story, and the Sawyer vs. Jack ping-pong tournament. And how Desmond's changing of his vision led to a change in the quest's outcome was, well, interesting. But let's get on with the storyline, shall we?
    Vox clamantis in deserto
    What a great way to begin a show. Use the idea of a Charlies death to grab hold of you. I thought that was it for our stranded rock-star. But no, it was just another vision by Desmond. Even though HB mentions it being a low-key show, I'm surpised there's no mention of Sawyer walking in on "Freckles" at just the right moment. Had this been cable.......well, you know. This weeks episode does raise another question. Who is the pilot of the doomed helicopter and how does she know Desmond? I'm also bothered by the place the helicopter crashed. Is it possible a helicopter can fly for that long, un-(wo)manned. She supposedly ejected over the island. The helicopter crashed approxametly 1/2 mile out in the ocean. I wonder what's on the helicopter?
    Once again, it's mainly me and Mr. Martini chiming in. Any other Lost fans out there?

Anyway, tonight's show was a nice mixture of the usual and the fantastic. The usual was the flashback, this one to Jin and Sun's newlywed days, when we learn the truth about Jin's mother, a nasty blackmailin' ho. The flashback really showed how tough Sun can be, and I think this was complemented in the "present time" story, where Sun makes demands of Juliette and learns about her own baby.

As for the fantastic. . .Well, the babe who comes out of nowhere (how many languages does she speak and how does she know Desmond, anyway?); the reappearance of Eye-Patch Dude, back from the dead; the news that Sun has only two months left (in Lost time, that means she has two years--a bunch of flashback cameos if the show lasts into a sixth season); and the biggest surprise of all. . .
    Parachute Woman announces that the plane was found. With no survivors!

. . .Just sent chills up my spine!
    Vox clamantis in deserto
    Not to much to say about this week. I had a kind of ill feeling when "Eye Patch Dude" (Mikhail Bakunin ;) ) had to drain "parachute babes" lung. How did he survive that electric fence? Maybe he had some Dhrama Project Seltzer Tablets on hand to give that foaming at the mouth look. It's also cool to see that Jin is the father, but will Sun really die? I think Juliette is hiding something. What makes this island so special? "Eye patch dude" (see above ;) ) mentions wounds aren't the same on this island. In the same show, Juliette mentions male sperm count is higher than anywhere else. Is this a magical island?

And finally. I hope the writers aren't going the purgatory (sp?) route. Unless parachute babe is actually an other? What did she say to Mikhail in Itailian? And why did Mikhail have that look in his eye? I think he lied about what she said.......'till next week.