Top Gear Presenter Critically Injured

Moonraker 5Moonraker 5 Ayrshire, ScotlandPosts: 1,821MI6 Agent
edited September 2006 in Off Topic Chat
Richard Hammond, presenter on BBC's Top Gear motoring programme, has been critically injured in a crash during filming. I know Top Gear is a very popular programme and has fans on here, me included, and this is sad news indeed. :(

I hope he makes a full and swift recovery.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/north_yorkshire/5365676.stm

Top Gear presenter Richard Hammond is in a critical condition in hospital after a crash in a jet-powered car while filming for the programme.

The presenter, 36, was taken by air ambulance to a Leeds hospital which has a special neurological unit.

A North Yorkshire Ambulance Service spokesman said he was unconscious when they got to the scene but was regaining consciousness at the hospital.

A BBC spokesman confirmed the presenter had been injured during a shoot.
unitedkingdom.png

Comments

• Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,617Chief of Staff
    I'm shocked about this - I know they race around in cars all the time, but you expect them to be safe as they are such good drivers. Just goes to show you I suppose. I wish him a speedy recovery.
    YNWA 97
  • emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,725MI6 Agent
    edited September 2006
    Horrible news- I think the fire engines going to him passed me on the way home from work today.
    Sky news are saying he was trying to get up to 280mph apparently (I wouldn't have thought the runway was long enough even in a jet car); I really hope he's okay.

EDIT: No; I'm mistaken- he's in Yorkshire.
  • JohmssJohmss Posts: 274MI6 Agent
    I´ve seen this show (but like a month or two delayed and only half an hour edited version)

But i really like it, and yes, they make me laugh.

But this isn´t a joke, this in´t funny. i really hope Hamster get along with it...

It doesn´t matter how good you are but - call it Karma or luck - nasty thing can happen.
  • wordswords Buckinghamshire, EnglandPosts: 249MI6 Agent
    I'm gutted for Richard Hammond, he always seems such a nice chap. As a 37 year old with 2 kids (Richard is 36 with 2 kids) this tragedy resonates strongly with me.

Best wishes to him & his family.
  • General_OurumovGeneral_Ourumov United KingdomPosts: 861MI6 Agent
    Fantastic TV personality. Apparently he actually broke the record before he crashed. I hope he recovers fully, and returns to our screens soon.
  • Lady RoseLady Rose London,UKPosts: 2,667MI6 Agent
    It is a real shame this has happened. The sad news is Sky News and other agencies have just reported that Dr's have said he has a significant brain injury but are optimistic he will make a good recovery.

http://media.guardian.co.uk/site/story/0,,1878077,00.html?gusrc=rss&feed=1

Chris Tryhorn and agencies
    Thursday September 21, 2006
    MediaGuardian.co.uk

TV presenter Richard Hammond suffered a "significant brain injury" in a high-speed crash, doctors said tonight.
    But Leeds General Infirmary said it was "reasonably optimistic he will make a good recovery".

The Top Gear presenter was injured yesterday evening when a jet-propelled car, in which he hoped to break the British land speed record, crashed while travelling at 300mph.

The Health and Safety Executive is to look into the preparation and planning for yesterday's event, held at Elvington airfield near Leeds.

"One would expect the BBC to have organisational arrangements and risk assessments for dealing with any production-related activity on a site like this and elsewhere," said Keith King, a principal inspector with the HSE.

"It will include looking at what arrangements they had for dealing with emergencies. It is very unusual ... this is one of the reasons why we are working with the police.

"Our file will consider what action is appropriate, bearing in mind what evidence comes out of the investigation."

The HSE will investigate the accident jointly with the police, and the BBC has also set up an inquiry.

The dragster involved in the accident has been taken away for detailed forensic examination at a secret location.

Delay
  • Moonraker 5Moonraker 5 Ayrshire, ScotlandPosts: 1,821MI6 Agent
    edited September 2006
    Lady Rose wrote:
    The sad news is Sky News and other agencies have just reported that Dr's have said he has a significant brain injury but are optimistic he will make a good recovery.
    When I heard "serious brain injury" I felt sick, I feared the wee guy would be 'lost' to all intents and purposes. Though it's great to hear he's compus mentus enough to have a conversation, however short at this stage, with his friends and family. Clarkson said he even managed a smile when he insulted his driving skills.

It's heartening to see the huge outpouring of support though; apparently the BBC have received thousands of emails and messages. He's a popular guy, is Hamster!
    unitedkingdom.png
    The brain's a funny thing- a guy I know fell into a road and was hit in the head by a car at full speed. He's now recovered although it took him a long time and his personality and behaviour was very much effected for a while. Every case differs, but what we've heard so far sounds very hopeful.
    An absolutely wonderful article about this from Clarkson; extremely recommended reading:

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2006440317,00.html
  • Moonraker 5Moonraker 5 Ayrshire, ScotlandPosts: 1,821MI6 Agent
    emtiem wrote:
    An absolutely wonderful article about this from Clarkson; extremely recommended reading:

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2006440317,00.html
    Fantastic. And I wish Clarkson well with his fight too, the nanny state brigade have gone too far in this country as it is, it's about time someone hit back at them with the full force of 6m supporters.
    unitedkingdom.png
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,617Chief of Staff
    I hope he wins his fight too. Anyway ....... ;)
    YNWA 97
    edited September 2006
    Sir Miles wrote:
    I hope he wins his fight too. Anyway ....... ;)

LOL ... we will have to adopt that for next time a new Bond is announced!

Brilliant article as always by Clarkson and good to hear Hamster is doing so well.
    A couple more: Clarkson basically rewriting his piece for the Times: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2087-2372412_3,00.html

And the Road Safety Minister defending the programme: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2087-2372255,00.html
  • ant007ukant007uk Great BritainPosts: 67MI6 Agent
    It's great news to hear Richard is on the mend. What a great article by Clarkson. WE WANT OUR HAMSTER BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Moore Not LessMoore Not Less Posts: 1,095MI6 Agent
    Pictures of Top Gear presenter Richard Hammond's spectacular high speed jet-powered car crash have been revealed for the first time.

Hammond crash pictures revealed

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6273973.stm

Thankfully, 'Hamster' has made an astonishingly quick recovery and will be back presenting (along with Jeremy Clarkson and James May) the new series of Top Gear on Sunday 28th January. Video footage of the crash is scheduled to be broadcast in the first programme.
  • The Sly FoxThe Sly Fox USAPosts: 467MI6 Agent
    edited January 2007
    I'm very glad to hear he's all right! I'm a big fan of his! Now there's just one question... Does anyone know of a way that we can see the show here in the States? :D

I checked the BBC America site a while back, but it said that Top Gear wasn't on the list for American showings. I too have only seen the edited versions, which have unfortunately been taken off the Discovery Channel... Really though, I would much rather see it uncut, not to mention perhaps a bit sooner than two years after it was first shown... ;)
  • s96024s96024 Posts: 1,519MI6 Agent
    Don't know whether it is available on the internet. Probably loads of clips on youtube. Also alot is on DVD I believe. I think they will be showing the actual crash on the new series. Sunday the 28th I think. Can't wait for the new series. Had to resort to watching repeats on UKTV.
  • Moore Not LessMoore Not Less Posts: 1,095MI6 Agent
    Footage of the crash that left Richard Hammond fighting for his life was broadcast for the first time on Top Gear yesterday. For those of you who have not seen it just click on the link below. Then click on Watch Hammond's crash (just below photo of Hammond with helmet).

BBC airs Top Gear crash footage

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6303717.stm
    Was great to see the new series back. I did think the Hamster looked a bit ill though. Think it was just the fact he had lost alot of weight in the hospital. The crash footage was unbelievable, he's one lucky little fellow.
    edited January 2007
    I didn't think he looked too bad actually, all things considered. It is quite remarkable he is there at all.Great to see the little fella back in action and normal service resumed.

Top Gear is such a terrific programme and those boys really do have the best jobs in the world IMO.
  • PredatorPredator Posts: 790Chief of Staff
    I'm very glad to hear he's all right! I'm a big fan of his! Now there's just one question... Does anyone know of a way that we can see the show here in the States? :D

The last series was shown on the bbc website (although not for those with out-of-UK ISPs though I think).

Not that we condone this sort of thing, but you could try the torrents.
  • Jedi MasterJedi Master UKPosts: 1,093MI6 Agent
    You may well be able to find the series on the internet somewhere...

www.alluc.org has a lot of TV programs on it, though most of them are American.

Maybe Google TV would have it, and here is a video telling you how to subscribe to Google Video!
    http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/video/googletv

Not that AJB condones this sort of thing ;)
    Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice and everyone dies.
    Top Gear back to it's absolute best tonight, One of the funniest episodes i've seen in a long time. Must see, unless your from Alabama. ;)
    This show never ceases to amaze me. Their budget must be astronomical.