"Flyboys"

LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,993Quartermasters
edited September 2006 in Off Topic Chat
Ordinarily, I'd have just posted this in the "last film seen" thread...

But this movie was a special one for me---for more reasons than one, and watching it was a bittersweet mixture of fun, excitement...and a sense of loss.

Long story short (hopefully! ;) ):

A handful of years ago I began work on a spec script about the Lafayette Escadrille, the squadron of American volunteers who flew for France against Germany in WWI. I completely immersed myself in the period---reading personal memoirs, doing exhaustive research on aircraft, weapons, geopolitics...and the amazing real-life American heroes who did incredible things in the skies over France from 1916-1918.

An earlier draft, which I entitled "The Bottle of Death," was nominated for Screenplay of the Month on http://www.triggerstreet.com , a filmmaker/screenwriter website co-founded by Kevin Spacey, and received many favourable notices for it there, though I didn't win the SOM competition.

I rewrote, polished, rewrote, polished (if you've ever worked on a script, you catch my drift!) ad nauseam, and was eventually nominated again---but had to be disqualified, because a previous version of the script had already been nominated. C'est la vie, as the saying goes.*

Still, I vigourously shopped my latest rewrite around---mass mailings, queries to agents, managers, prodcos...even the one which ended up making "Flyboys," but I'm getting ahead of myself. A year went by; I got a few nibbles, mailed out copies whenever someone expressed interest---and then, just as I was halfway through the umpteenth rewrite---punching up character motivation, etc---I got word that a film called "Flyboys" was in the early stages of production in France.

For those of you gentlemen unfortunate enough to have taken a serious blow to the testicles at some point in your lives, you might begin to approximate my reaction to the news---after I'd regained consciousness and remembered how to breathe: :o X-( :'(

Now, don't get me wrong---I'm not alleging anything, as the timelines simply don't match up: Flyboys would have probably been in the early stages of pre-production as I was feverishly pounding out my first draft, clad only in my tightie-whiteys in the small hours of countless late nights and early mornings, so it's a simple case of bad luck, and even worse timing. A cautionary tale about beginning ambitious spec projects without representation...

Saw the film tonight, and it was visually spectacular, as I'd fully expected it to be, with James Franco ( one of a short list of actors I'd pictured!), and the excellent Jean Reno as Capt. Georges Thenault, the commander of L'Escadrille Americaine. It's not my story, but...there are just enough historical facts referenced to echo my piece: The titular "Bottle of Death" rates a scene in the film, and a couple of nice lines of dialogue! And there's a line here, a line there...and the finale of the picture, which I used as a plot point late in Act 2 of my piece.

This was a great story, and it needed to be told; I saw an hour-long show on the History Channel one morning, another lifetime ago, and within a week was at work on it. It's the most fun I've ever had with my clothes on, :o :D and I learned quite a lot from the process, so I can't have any regrets. You can't win if you don't play.

Still and all, though it was fun (and I like my script better ;) ), going to see it was a lot like watching the coolest guy in school take your best girl to the prom. :(

This thread is a cheap form of therapy. I'd be most interested in other viewers' opinions.

* For anyone interested, either draft of my script, "Bottle of Death" or "Lafayette Escadrille" are downloadable from triggerstreet. My username there is Loeffelholz (go figure! ;) ), and naturally I'll just send out a PDF file to anyone who PMs me...this is as close to a broader audience as this work will likely ever see, but hopefully it will serve effectively as a writing sample.

Thanks for listening. I feel better already. :)
Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
"I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
"Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM

Comments

• Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    I saw a great review of it on Today. Would you like for us, as a site, to boycott it? ;)
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,993Quartermasters
    edited September 2006
    Dan Same wrote:
    I saw a great review of it on Today. Would you like for us, as a site, to boycott it? ;)

Nice of you to offer :v :)) ...but no! I want people to see it. I want opinions---and, I want this picture to do well, because it would validate an instinct I had about this material, almost simultaneously.

And, I need Devlin to turn this into a trilogy, so I can pitch mine as a prequel B-)

Mine was intended as part one of a trilogy---"The Bottle of Death" was about 1916. Each of the next two would have dealt with 1917 and 1918 respectively.

My script, set from May to December 1916, has the fundamental frailty and unreliability of the equipment as a larger participant in the drama.
    "Flyboys" only shows the Germans flying the classic Fokker Dr.I---the classic red, von Richtofen-style triplane, which was more near the apex of German patrol aircraft development at the time, despite its relative instability. The only other German plane seen in this movie is a bomber.

In mine, the Germans start out in basic Fokker Eindeckers (monoplanes), and eventually acquire the famous Albatros D.II. The Americans start out in the Nieuport 11s, and only later get the 17s, which they fly exclusively in FB...it really was a teeter-totter of evolving technology, with whomever had the best aircraft at the time generally being victorious...
  • highhopeshighhopes Posts: 1,358MI6 Agent
    Interesting story, Loeff (I hope you named one of your German flyboys after your namesake, or I'll be very disappointed). I'm sorry about your script, but I can tell you your hunch that WWI aviation makes wonderful movie fodder is absolutely correct. I'm looking forward to seeing "Flyboys." One of my favorite films is "The Blue Max."
    edited September 2006
    highhopes wrote:
    Interesting story, Loeff (I hope you named one of your German flyboys after your namesake, or I'll be very disappointed). I'm sorry about your script, but I can tell you your hunch that WWI aviation makes wonderful movie fodder is absolutely correct. I'm looking forward to seeing "Flyboys." One of my favorite films is "The Blue Max."

My villain was a fictionalized version of Oswald Boelcke, the pilot whose dictum is still studied in modern combat aviation training. Alas, his name was not so...personally relevant...as my own :D . I called him Hauptmann Wolfgang von Jager...his aircraft symbol was a white horse...

I loved The Blue Max as well...it was one of those movies which altered the trajectory of my creative ambitions...

FB may not be quite that good---but if you have an appreciation for the genre, I'd be hard put to to recommend you spend 139 discretionary minutes elsewhere... B-)
  • Mark HazardMark Hazard West Midlands, UKPosts: 495MI6 Agent
    WW1 is not my usual viewing preference, but with the late Ray Hanna organising the flying sequences it's got to be good.
    edited September 2006
    The aerial sequences are a lot of fun, but the CGI isn't completely seamless.

It would have been nice to get a bit more actual footage with the replica aircraft---fuselage-mounted cameras---with a more 'subjective' feel to the aircraft's movement relative to the earth...and as much pinwheeling horizon as I could manage...
  • highhopeshighhopes Posts: 1,358MI6 Agent
    highhopes wrote:

My villain was a fictionalized version of Oswald Boelcke, the pilot whose dictum is still studied in modern combat aviation training. Alas, his name was not so...personally relevant...as my own :D . I called him Hauptmann Wolfgang von Jager...his aircraft symbol was a white horse...

I loved The Blue Max as well...it was one of those movies which altered the trajectory of my creative ambitions...

FB may not be quite that good---but if you have an appreciation for the genre, I'd be hard put to to recommend you spend 139 discretionary minutes elsewhere... B-)

Of course, with "The Blue Max," the flying sequences were real, rather than CGI, which I gather is the case with "Flyboys." There was also a decent story and characters. CGI hasn't yet managed to make up for any deficiencies in those areas, in my view.
    highhopes wrote:
    Of course, with "The Blue Max," the flying sequences were real, rather than CGI, which I gather is the case with "Flyboys." There was also a decent story and characters. CGI hasn't yet managed to make up for any deficiencies in those areas, in my view.

They do have a fair amount of replica footage, particularly shots very near or on the ground---taxiing, takeoffs, near-ground chase sequence, etc.---but the vast majority of the dog-fight action is CGI...often spectacular, but not as tangibly real as I was hoping.

The characterization isn't bad, though one interesting diversion from fact is FB's inclusion of an African American in the Lafayette Escadrille---which never happened, to the best of my own personal research, but nevertheless is handled well. In fact, his character is a former boxer...like one of my characters... ;)
  • 00640064 Somewhere out west...Posts: 1,083MI6 Agent
    Sorry to hear that Loeffelholz...I really enjoyed this movie...the characters devleoped nicely and the footage was stunning. The stunts were also very breathtaking.

Anywyas, sorry yours got copied...
  • TonyDPTonyDP Inside the MonolithPosts: 4,285MI6 Agent
    Loeffelholz, I truly feel your pain. I used to write the occasional freelance article for computer magazines in my younger days and I too was beaten to the punch in getting an idea in print, so I can relate (but I doubt I put as much effort into my esoteric papers on search algorithms and embedded conversion routines as you did into your screenplay).

If I were you, I'd still work on that screenplay and continue to shop it around; maybe the release of Flyboys might engender interest in that particular genre and period in history and lead to another opportunity somewhere else.
  • RogueAgentRogueAgent Speeding in the Tumbler...Posts: 3,676MI6 Agent
    Sorry, Loeff. Consider this a growing pain and press on... {[]

You can share this story with the entire world when you accept your first Oscar one day. ;)
    Mrs. Man Face: "You wouldn't hit a lady? Would you?"

Batman: "The Hammer Of Justice is UNISEX!"
    -Batman: The Brave & The Bold -
    edited October 2006
    RogueAgent wrote:
    You can share this story with the entire world when you accept your first Oscar one day. ;)

Thanks ;) ;)

Actually, I pretty much have moved on; just felt the need to vent when the movie came out last month. After my current project, I'll likely continue to tweak my #1 writing sample---after all, I have to convince Eon I can do action :D

Irrationally hopeful? Sure. I'm a Cardinal fan, looking at a game #7 against the Mets... {:)

P.S. Post 3,000!!! :)
  • bluemanblueman PDXPosts: 1,667MI6 Agent
    Haven't seen the film yet, but "No Parachute" is one of my favorite memoirs, incredibly compelling material.
  • Golrush007Golrush007 South AfricaPosts: 3,421Quartermasters
    edited October 2006
    I havent seen Flyboys as I have not managed to find it in any local cinemas. As a fan of aerial combat films, in particular WWI and WWII I was excited by the news when I heard of this film.

I gather that this film features largely CGI combat. The question I have is does it look real? I tend to be turned off when I hear of CGI combat scenes because they usually don't impress me very much. I am a big fan of the films which used real aircraft for their flying scenes. My all time favourites being films like 'Battle of Britain', 'Tora! Tora! Tora!', 'The Blue Max', 'Aces High' and Jan Sverak's 2001 film 'Dark Blue World' had some good 'real' flying sequences.
    So - does they CGI stand up to scutiny. I have seen some stills, which look good, but then, CGI always look good in still. It is the motion that either makes it look great or makes it look fake.

I look forward to seeing this film, whether I get to see it in cinemas or have to wait for the DVD. BTW - does anyone know where one can see this film in the UK(I'm in Bedfordshire).

And well done Loeffelholz for seeing the potential in this subject. Im sure writing the screenplay was a rewarding and enjoyable process. Sadly you were unlucky on this occasion, but that's life!

Just out of interest, what WWI flying movies are available on DVD? I have 'The Blue Max' and 'Aces High'. Are there any others out there?
    edited October 2006
    Thanks very much, Golrush007; much appreciated.

The CGI isn't seamless here, I'm afraid; the sequences are spectacular, but not quite as convincing as I'd been hoping. Nevertheless, I highly recommend it if you enjoy the genre.

As far as WWI pictures...no---other than "The Blue Max" (which is brilliant, and inspired me 30+ years ago!)...and I'm embarrassed to say I haven't seen 'Aces High'...that was why I was so excited when I began the project. It seemed such ripe material; figures somebody else thought so as well...

As a sideline, CGI sequences replicating Hell's Angels, in Scorsese's great "The Aviator" were very good---better, in fact, than "Flyboys," in my opinion...
    edited October 2006
    Hi Loeffelholz.

Thanks for the info. I am surprised you haven't seen Aces High. It is easily available on Region 2 DVD, I'm not sure about Region 1 though (What Region are you in?). I actually prefer it to The Blue Max, although the aircraft used in the film are not as good as those in the Blue Max. The British Se-5s are converted Stampes, which look pretty good, except for their swept back wings and round wing tips. There is also a genuine Avro 504 which is used in ground scenes and is fairly seamlessly integrated with model shots for the flying scenes. Unfortunately the German aircraft are not so good here. Three aircraft are used to simulate the Germans here: A Viima, a Tiger Moth and a Bucker Jungmeister. Also, footage from The Blue Max, and I think Zeppelin as well are used. They don't intercut as well though.
    It is the story and acting which I prefer in Aces High. Peter Firth is a young schoolboy with only 15 hours flying who is posted to the squadron led by his schoolboy hero, played by Malcolm MacDowell. The supporting cast of Simon Ward, Christopher Plummer, John Gielgud, Trever Howard etc. is very good as well. I reccomend you watch it!

Other WWI aviation films I know of are Von Richthofen and Brown; Zeppelin and Darling Lili. I don't think any of these are available on DVD, except for V. Richthofen and Brown is available on a Japanese DVD. And of course, there is 'The Red Baron' set to be released next year. ;) It seems there is a bit of a revival in the WWI flying film! I can't wait!
  • Mark HazardMark Hazard West Midlands, UKPosts: 495MI6 Agent
    Golrush007 wrote:
    .... I am a big fan of the films which used real aircraft for their flying scenes. My all time favourites being films like 'Battle of Britain', 'Tora! Tora! Tora!', 'The Blue Max', 'Aces High' and Jan Sverak's 2001 film 'Dark Blue World' had some good 'real' flying sequences. ....

A man after my own heart. If you haven't already seen it, check out the 3-disc version of Pearl Harbour, which, amongst the extra disc options, includes some real seat-of-the-pants flying, before they put in the extra cgi aeroplanes. Fantastic.
    edited December 2006
    Is Flyboys going to be released on DVD on region 2. I see on Amazon.com there are several R1 DVD releases listed, but no R2 ones Amazon.co.uk or Play.com. Surely this should be released on R2. Anybody know if it will be?
    edited January 2008
    Sorry to dredge up an old topic, but I have to share this with someone...

It looks like my script, "Lafayette Escadrille," which was ostensibly killed in utero by the shooting and subsequent release of "Flyboys," is going to be optioned after all...

Granted, it's by a film student at USC, in the Peter Stark Producing Program, as part of his graduate thesis...but I'm in the process of doing development rewrites :) My earnest young collegue believes that we can overcome the 'Flyboys' curse, and perhaps sell mine as sufficiently distinctive...

Together, we're going to run a bit of lightning through this old corpse---and see if we can get its hand to twitch :D
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,886Chief of Staff
    Congrats, Loeffelholz. I guess it stands to reason that if a movie with "quantum" in the title can get the greenlight, then one with "escadrille" in the title can make it too!
    Vox clamantis in deserto
    edited January 2008
    Hardyboy wrote:
    Congrats, Loeffelholz. I guess it stands to reason that if a movie with "quantum" in the title can get the greenlight, then one with "escadrille" in the title can make it too!

Thanks very much, Hardy...although there is a distinct possibility that the title won't survive development :# My first title was "The Bottle of Death"---because of the bottle of 100 year-old bourbon they drank from to celebrate each kill---but when I got coverage from ScriptShark, they didn't like it...

Too bad "Flyboys" is already taken---it's a better title than it was a movie... :D
  • John DrakeJohn Drake On assignmentPosts: 2,564MI6 Agent
    Good luck with your script Loeff. Flyboys didn't do anything at the box-office, nor did it win any awards, so there's plenty room for another take on this story. Just out of interest who do you send a spec script to? Do you need to get an agent first, or can you send stuff out direct to a production company, or a studio?
    edited January 2008
    I bought the current Hollywood Representation and Producer's Directories, and sent query letters and e-queries to anyone who indicated they were open to such things---tailoring my mail list to those looking for action/historical material. I shopped it all over the place initially---nothing happened. Then, when news of Flyboys being shot in France broke on IMDB, I basically dropped my project in mid-rewrite, went through the requisite period of mourning and recovery (believe it or not, I think I know exactly how Bond felt when Le Chiffre was...you know... :o ), and started work on something else.

But the script (and my other finished scripts) remain on Triggerstreet.com, where anyone can download them...an up-and-coming filmmaker saw it, and referred it to my new business partner, who asked me if he could option it for his graduate thesis...just goes to show, you never know when (and how) hard work will pay off.

Mind you, this is the first step in a long and exhaustive process, but I'm having fun revisiting the project, and writing new scenes :) Who knows if it'll ever actually get made, but it's always nice to learn that someone enjoys your work...and you can't win if you don't play.