Moonraker - Rated R?

I read on Universal Exports that the original ending of Moonraker would have caused the film to be rated R! What was so horrible/gruesome about the original ending that it would acheive such a rating? Does anyone know?

Comments

• Mr MartiniMr Martini That nice house in the sky.Posts: 2,699MI6 Agent
    I read on Universal Exports that the original ending of Moonraker would have caused the film to be rated R! What was so horrible/gruesome about the original ending that it would acheive such a rating? Does anyone know?

Maybe the blanket was missing?
    Some people would complain even if you hang them with a new rope
  • JennyFlexFanJennyFlexFan Posts: 1,497MI6 Agent
    Oh ok, I thought they were talking about the laser battle sequence, but you're probably right, that they had to shield some *things*.
  • ATPrescottATPrescott Posts: 39MI6 Agent
    Mr Martini wrote:
    Maybe the blanket was missing?

Uh, is that a "well-known-fact" 'cause I'm sure it's written or told somewhere if only one would remeber where. :s
  • TobiasTobias Chelmsford UKPosts: 115MI6 Agent
    Moonraker was one of the least violent bonds apart from the Dufiore Scene with the dogs
  • Danny-BoyDanny-Boy Posts: 26MI6 Agent
    edited October 2008
    There was a scene removed - which appeared in a photograph, on a Bubble-Gum card at the time - of Bond and Holly observing people meditating in zero gravity, also they apparently watch one of the perfect-physical-specimen couples making love (this scene would have appeared as Bond and Holly make their way to the Level 10, zero gravity, Orbital Communicator)

My money's on this scene! ;) , it has never turned-up on DVD, as a Deleted Scene

I've seen a trailer, with the R-Rating caption intact
  • yodboy007yodboy007 McMinn CountyPosts: 129MI6 Agent
    edited October 2008
    I seem to remember hearing that TSWLM also came close to an 'R' rating because of one line that Bond was to say to Stromberg.

I apologize if it is too vulgar. I believe the line went like this: "Ballseye, fishfinger".

That is vulgar, but nothing by today's standards. It would have been weird hearing Sir Roger's "gentleman" Bond say that line!

Is it true that this line was cut? I read in on some trivia page somewhere.
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,885Chief of Staff
    I've read about the "Ballseye, Fishfinger" line myself, and I've often wondered if Moore was just joking about it. As for Bond and Holly watching a couple doin' it in zero-gravity, that's in Christopher Wood's novelization of Moonraker, so it may have been in the screenplay or the film itself at some time. Still, I doubt that the scene would have been titillating, given how tame the Bonds were in the '70s. And that's why I highly doubt MR or any other Bond film before LTK would have qualified for an R rating: Cubby was adamant that the Bonds were family movies--no nudity, no gore, no explicit sex. I'm sure he would have made sure that a solid PG film was delivered to the Motion Picture board.
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • SeahawkSeahawk Posts: 85MI6 Agent
    I remember an interview that Emily Bolton gave at the time she was appearing in Tenko , in which she touched on the experience of playing Manuela in MR.
    Her strongest memory was of shooting a scene where Manuela is thrown against a wall. As she hit the wall she contorted her face in a manner intended to convey Manuela's pain to the audience.
    The call of "cut!" went out immediately, she then received a ferocious dressing down from Cubby Broccoli in front of the entire crew in which Broccoli memorably informed her "NOBODY ever gets hurt in a Bond film!"
    If that was Broccoli's attitude to violence at that time, it seems to me that his attitude to sex, nudity & strong language was likely to be similar.
    That having been said, prior to his tenure writing Bond screenplays, Christopher Wood was best known for writing witless, unerotic sex comedies & the "Ballseye, fish finger!" line does sound like something he would have used in one of those.