The Departed

Pierce_BrosnanPierce_Brosnan Posts: 329MI6 Agent
The Departed is a movie that recently came out (I saw it on opening day), but most important is that it is directed by Martin Scorsese, the great. Since I loved Goodfellas, I knew his new mafia movie would be great. To top that, it features Jack Nicholson, one of my favorite stars. Has anyone else seen it. Did you like it? Did you think it lived up to Goodfellas?

Comments

• Mr MartiniMr Martini That nice house in the sky.Posts: 2,699MI6 Agent
    I'm very interested in seeing this movie. On a scale of 1 to 5, how would you rate it? Also, how long of a movie is it? Thanks in advance for any info!
    Some people would complain even if you hang them with a new rope
  • Pierce_BrosnanPierce_Brosnan Posts: 329MI6 Agent
    Mr Martini wrote:
    I'm very interested in seeing this movie. On a scale of 1 to 5, how would you rate it? Also, how long of a movie is it? Thanks in advance for any info!

I would rate it 4 out of 5 stars. Also, it is about 3 hours long.
  • AlexAlex The Eastern SeaboardPosts: 2,694MI6 Agent
    Great dialogue, good acting.

But one still needs to view Infernal Affairs, the original is better paced IMO.
  • TimmyDaltonTimmyDalton Minnesota, USAPosts: 13MI6 Agent
    I just saw it last night, I liked it a lot, it was long but didnt feel dragged out or slow. The scenes with all the Boston cops were hilarious, the ending a tad sad but I would give it 4 1/2 out of 5 stars.
  • highhopeshighhopes Posts: 1,358MI6 Agent
    I finally saw The Departed last night on pay-per-view. I guess my reaction is that the performances were very good, although I was a bit disappointed in Nicholson, who looked more like a wino than a big-time city crime lord -- I suppose there are precedents for disheveled mobsters, but they're pretty rare. And a boss who goes on cocaine pickups with the troops? I didn't entirely believe that, although I suppose the thrill of being in the trenches may have motivated him to some degree. He suggests as much when he tells DiCaprio that he doesn't need money or women, he just likes both.

But in the end, I felt about it the same way I felt about last year's Oscar winner for best picture. Lots of opportunity for good acting that the cast takes full advantage of, but a very, very contrived story. I was half expecting someone to clip Donny after he clipped Matt who clipped Jack and the other informer who clipped Leonardo who ... So many surprise shootings they stopped being a surprise after a while.

Not a bad movie, but far from Scorcese's best effort. His other remake, Cape Fear, was better IMO. But the jewels in his crown are still his original scripts or original adaptations. Long-Delayed Oscar Syndrome strikes again, with a deserving soul and sentimental favorite finally winning, but for a lesser effort.
  • Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    edited March 2007
    highhopes wrote:
    I was half expecting someone to clip Donny after he clipped Matt who clipped Jack and the other informer who clipped Leonardo who ... So many surprise shootings they stopped being a surprise after a while.
    The ending was ridiculous. I really enjoyed The Departed, but like HH, I do not consider it to be among Scorsese's best films. I'm delighted that Scorsese won the Oscar, but I would have preferred it if he had won Oscars for films like Taxi Driver and Goodfellas.

In regards to Nicholson, I liked him but I think he went too far. There was a scene in which a fellow character started laughing at him, and it was at that point that I realised that he had taken the thing too far. Anyway, I quite enjoyed the film, I think it has a lot of good things going for it (*performances, dialogue, music, story) but, considering the director, I do think it's a bit of a disappointment.

*One performance which I loved was that of Mark Wahlberg, whom I was felt truly deserved his Oscar nomination, and was IMO the standout of the film. {[]
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
    Dan Same wrote:
    *One performance which I loved was that of Mark Wahlberg, whom I was felt truly deserved his Oscar nomination, and was IMO the standout of the film. {[]

I meant Mark, not Donny. He was very good.
  • superadosuperado Regent's Park West (CaliforniaPosts: 2,652MI6 Agent
    Watched it just last weekend. Two snaps...loveed iiit! The progression of the plot was very gripping, building up a constant and exciting tension. Very much liked the measure of un-Hollywood, though it had some Hollywood as well. It actually came off like a cold-war drama and reminded me of LeCarre and Forsythe.
    "...the purposeful slant of his striding figure looked dangerous, as if he was making quickly for something bad that was happening further down the street." -SMERSH on 007 dossier photo, Ch. 6 FRWL.....
  • John DrakeJohn Drake On assignmentPosts: 2,564MI6 Agent
    For me the best thing was the script by William Morahan. It was viciously funny. Mark Wahlberg was outstanding as the foul-mouthed cop. It looks like they are going to make a sequel focusing on his character. Don't know if Scorsese will have anything to do with it though, or whether it is based on the sequel to the Hong Kong original, 'Infernal Affairs.'
    I've been thinking about this, and I did really like the movie, except for the ending, which seemed kind of un-Scorsese-ish. I kind of liked the idea of the Damon character getting away with it and winding up the head of the undercover unit and a hero to boot.
  • John DrakeJohn Drake On assignmentPosts: 2,564MI6 Agent
    highhopes wrote:
    I've been thinking about this, and I did really like the movie, except for the ending, which seemed kind of un-Scorsese-ish. I kind of liked the idea of the Damon character getting away with it and winding up the head of the undercover unit and a hero to boot.

I'd rent or buy the original triology HH. I don't think you'd be dissapointed. I saw one review that described IA as being a whisper, while TD is a shout. I think that's a pretty good way of describing the difference.

Here's the trailer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3_IxEFP3pc&mode=related&search=

Also the sequel is even better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZV2aN_AauM
    John Drake wrote:
    highhopes wrote:

I'd rent or buy the original triology HH. I don't think you'd be dissapointed. I saw one review that described IA as being a whisper, while TD is a shout. I think that's a pretty good way of describing the difference.

Here's the trailer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3_IxEFP3pc&mode=related&search=

Also the sequel is even better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZV2aN_AauM

I didn't realize there were two films. I'll have to check them out. Thanks JD

BTW -- the unveiling of the Asian Media Group logo on the sequel trailer was longer than the trailer itself :))