The Bond Disclaimer

LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,991Quartermasters
What follows is, at least partially, intended as 'tongue-in-cheek':

I've been thinking recently (always a dangerous proposition), and it occurred to me that Eon should run a disclaimer, like the Zorin disclaimer before AVTAK, before every Bond film, in order to take the curse off whatever anti-social or otherwise unhealthy personal behaviour in which Bond might engage in the proceeding two hours and ? minutes:

1. The Surgeon General has determined that smoking cigarettes is bad for your health, and can lead to any number of potentially fatal illnesses, and that the consumption of alcoholic beverages impairs your ability to drive a car or operate heavy machinery, and may also cause health problems.

2. Driving vehicles at a high rate of speed and disregarding all applicable traffic laws can lead to property damage, personal injury and death---and could lead to criminal prosecution, particularly if alcohol is involved.

3. The taking of another person's life, or any other form of physically violent activity, can lead to imprisonment, fines and subsequent civil action.

4. Gambling irresponsibly can lead to any number of financial difficulties, up to and including insolvency---and, ultimately, bankruptcy.

5. Irresponsible sexual behaviour contributes to the spread of many different diseases, including HIV and AIDS, and might lead to unplanned pregnancy.

Then...roll the gunbarrel sequence.
Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
"I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
"Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM

Comments

• emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,723MI6 Agent
    Well I think the possible bad implications of 2 & 4 are probably shown onscreen in CR (both in Bond's case; it appears that driving fast and gambling both end badly for him)- so no need to warn against them! Bond hasn't smoked habitually for seventeen years, so no need to worry about 1; and as for 3- well Bond's got a licence to kill; which rather implies that if you don't have one you won't get away with it, doesn't it? :)
    So that just leaves 5; which I suppose I'll give you! :)
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,991Quartermasters
    edited October 2006
    Yes, but all these behaviours are potentially imitative by impressionable youth, and must be strongly advised against. And this is a means to let Bond be Bond.
    Yes, but all these behaviours are potentially imitative by impressionable youth, and must be strongly advised against. And this is a means to let Bond be Bond.

Yes but (and I'm afraid Serious Point is raising it's dull head only three posts in to your fun thread!); if these activies are portrayed as being harmful in the actual story- are they actually being glamorised?
    Driving a sportscar fast is cool. Except if you're driving too fast without due care and attention you have a huge crash with a record-breaking number of rolls :) Therefore; driving a sportscar fast is dangerous. Disclaimer not required.
    edited October 2006
    How was the car chase in TMWTGG harmful? And many others, like the boat chase in LALD, are only harmful to the bad guys; Bond lives to drive another day ;% Impressionable youth might not :o
  • MBE_MBE_ USAPosts: 266MI6 Agent
    edited October 2006

I've been thinking recently (always a dangerous proposition), and it occurred to me that Eon should run a disclaimer, like the Zorin disclaimer before AVTAK, before every Bond film, in order to take the curse off whatever anti-social or otherwise unhealthy personal behaviour in which Bond might engage in the proceeding two hours and ? minutes:

1. The Surgeon General has determined that smoking cigarettes is bad for your health, and can lead to any number of potentially fatal illnesses, and that the consumption of alcoholic beverages impairs your ability to drive a car or operate heavy machinery, and may also cause health problems.

2. Driving vehicles at a high rate of speed and disregarding all applicable traffic laws can lead to property damage, personal injury and death---and could lead to criminal prosecution, particularly if alcohol is involved.

3. The taking of another person's life, or any other form of physically violent activity, can lead to imprisonment, fines and subsequent civil action.

4. Gambling irresponsibly can lead to any number of financial difficulties, up to and including insolvency---and, ultimately, bankruptcy.

5. Irresponsible sexual behaviour contributes to the spread of many different diseases, including HIV and AIDS, and might lead to unplanned pregnancy.

:)) :))

I can see it now scrolling along like Star Wars intro. :D

Although, if we didn't want to keep to just a text presentation I think Q (fill in actor of choice) would be the perfect person to introduce this and he could wind it up with

"Just because OO7 won't grow up doesn't mean you should grow up to be like him or you might not grow old."

MBE
    MBE_ wrote:
    :)) :))

I can see it now scrolling along like Star Wars intro. :D

Although, if we didn't want to keep to just a text presentation I think Q (fill in actor of choice) would be the perfect person to introduce this and he could wind it up with

"Just because OO7 won't grow up doesn't mean you should grow up to be like him or you might not grow old."

{[]
    edited October 2006
    How was the car chase in TMWTGG harmful? And many others, like the boat chase in LALD, are only harmful to the bad guys; Bond lives to drive another day ;% Impressionable youth might not :o

Well, no- I'm only talking about applying these to new Bond films: I'm sure you wouldn't try and force modern day attitudes on films made last century ;) And the only new Bond film around at the moment is CR, in which Bond's fast driving doesn't do him much good (record-breaking number of rolls- seven and a half I believe) :)
  • bluemanblueman PDXPosts: 1,667MI6 Agent
    Depending on which Bond it is, you could add:

Witty one-liners in real life may or may not be taken well; raising an eyebrow or straightening a bit of one's apparell may need to be employed. ;)
    emtiem wrote:
    Well, no- I'm only talking about applying these to new Bond films: I'm sure you wouldn't try and force modern day attitudes on films made last century ;) And the only new Bond film around at the moment is CR, in which Bond's fast driving doesn't do him much good :)

True...but I figure it's too late to save CR from PC corruption---I'm thinking in terms of the future. B-)
    blueman wrote:
    Depending on which Bond it is, you could add:

Witty one-liners in real life may or may not be taken well; raising an eyebrow or straightening a bit of one's apparell may need to be employed. ;)

Ah yes- RogerBond's charming 'a woman!' and his baffling 'I like to keep abreast of things' (is his pun just based on the fact she has breasts? ?:) ) come to mind! The frosty reception he got there just goes to show again that you don't need the disclaimer... :)
    edited October 2006
    emtiem wrote:
    Well, no- I'm only talking about applying these to new Bond films: I'm sure you wouldn't try and force modern day attitudes on films made last century ;) And the only new Bond film around at the moment is CR, in which Bond's fast driving doesn't do him much good :)

True...but I figure it's too late to save CR from PC corruption---I'm thinking in terms of the future. B-)

You know Fleming sort of wrote that bit in 1953, yeah? ;)
    edited October 2006
    emtiem wrote:
    You know Fleming sort of wrote that bit in 1953, yeah? ;)

But torture is forever. :v
    Err.... okaaay...*edges slowly away*.... :)
    :)) :)) :))
    benskelly wrote:
    How about this...

Do not become too comfortable with any one lead actor as 007 because he can and will be fired by producers' whim at a moment's notice.

;)

Haha! I like that one! Perhaps end the film on a 'position vacant' advert?
  • Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    edited October 2006

That's great. :D One question; regarding 2. Can you be prosecuted even if you're dead? :))
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
  • Sir Hillary BraySir Hillary Bray College of ArmsPosts: 2,174MI6 Agent
    Wonderful, Loeff! {[]

To me, it needs not to be written on screen, but instead spoken super-quickly by an unseen voice, like in the drug commercials. The last line, of course, would be:

Ask your doctor if Bond is right for you!
    Hilly...you old devil!
  • TOOTSTOOTS Posts: 114MI6 Agent
    Brilliant idea, Loeffelholz!
    Very funny!
    Wonderful, Loeff! {[]
    To me, it needs not to be written on screen, but instead spoken super-quickly by an unseen voice, like in the drug commercials. The last line, of course, would be:

Ask your doctor if Bond is right for you!

Very good too, Sir Hilary. Just imagining it now!
  • NightshooterNightshooter In bed with SolitairePosts: 2,917MI6 Agent
    benskelly wrote:
    How about this...

Do not become too comfortable with any one lead actor as 007 because he can and will be fired by producers' whim at a moment's notice.

;)

How about "James Bond will return. The character at least... maybe not the actor." at the end of the credits?
  • darenhatdarenhat The Old PuebloPosts: 2,029Quartermasters
    Well done, Loef! Perhaps the film can simply have brief interruptions by Q during certain scenes saying "Don't try this at home, kids!"
  • Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    How about "James Bond will return. The character at least... maybe not the actor." at the end of the credits?
    Or "James Bond will return; in two, three, four or perhaps even six years." :D
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
  • ohmss1969ohmss1969 EuropePosts: 141MI6 Agent
    quote : are only harmful to the bad guys

So bad guys aren't people....do they not bleed , do they not have families to feed ?!

:)):))
    ohmss1969 wrote:
    quote : are only harmful to the bad guys

So bad guys aren't people....do they not bleed , do they not have families to feed ?!

:)):))

Well, it's sad, but people are punished for bad career decisions all the time :v
    edited March 2007
    Given the current discussion of Bond's alleged drinking and driving over in the CR thread, I thought this might be worth revisiting :007)