Anyone like seiko?

heartbroken_mr_draxheartbroken_mr_drax New Zealand Posts: 2,073MI6 Agent
edited October 2006 in General James Bond Chat
Did anybody like the Seiko watches? It seemed to be real product placement.

I think that rolex was the best, and it sucked how roger only wore rolex in the first 2 of his.

Im not that impressed with Omega, bit boring, Rolex was the best, esp the LALD one.
1. TWINE 2. FYEO 3. MR 4. TLD 5. TSWLM 6. OHMSS 7. DN 8. OP 9. AVTAK 10. TMWTGG 11. QoS 12. GE 13. CR 14. TB 15. FRWL 16. TND 17. LTK 18. GF 19. SF 20. LaLD 21. YOLT 22. NTTD 23. DAD 24. DAF. 25. SP

"Better make that two."

Comments

• RogueAgentRogueAgent Speeding in the Tumbler...Posts: 3,676MI6 Agent
    Really not a huge fan of Seiko watches even though I've owned one. It's just hard to beat a good Swiss movement IMO. Of course Rolex is incomparable to most brands but out of my range as far as price is concerned. I do own a couple of Omega timepieces and I love them both; one is the model Pierce wore in Goldeneye.
    Mrs. Man Face: "You wouldn't hit a lady? Would you?"

Batman: "The Hammer Of Justice is UNISEX!"
    -Batman: The Brave & The Bold -
  • Pierce_BrosnanPierce_Brosnan Posts: 329MI6 Agent
    I personally prefer Omega over Rolex (even though I could afford Rolex, if I wanted to.)
  • superadosuperado Regent's Park West (CaliforniaPosts: 2,652MI6 Agent
    edited May 2007
    I'm a practical guy, meaning that I'm on a budget and don't want to worry about maintaining watches...and I wear a Seiko! I own(ed) quite a few. The one I'm wearing now has been pressure tested to around 30 meters, I think, and it's kept close enough to accurate time at least for six months when I need to adjust for daylight savings time. I do aspire to one day specifically own a vintage "James Bond" Rolex w/no crown guard, etc. etc., and when that time comes (when budget allows) I hope it will boil down to organizing a concerted effort to find a reasonably priced specimen.

I was joking at work once, that based on homicide cases in which John Does were identified by the Rolex they were wearing, a CSI team would pronounce over my unidentified body, " ...we have a lead! This man is wearing a Seiko, which narrows down his identity to half the male population in the immediate area..." :#
    "...the purposeful slant of his striding figure looked dangerous, as if he was making quickly for something bad that was happening further down the street." -SMERSH on 007 dossier photo, Ch. 6 FRWL.....
  • WaltherManiacWaltherManiac Posts: 52MI6 Agent
    I like Omegas too. I think that he should keep the deal with Omega.
  • JADE66JADE66 Posts: 238MI6 Agent
    I'm partial to Seiko,myself. I purchased a 17 jewel Seiko automatic in 1980 and haven't had a bit of trouble with it. The luminous dial still works, there's not a speck of rust on it and it keeps near perfect time. I've only had to replace the bracelet. Not a bad record for 27
    years. I dislike digital watches. I don't need all the buttons. But I definitely like my automatic. The black face, stainless steel case and hardened crystal lense make the watch water resistant and a simple shake starts it ticking.
    A forerunner of the current crop of "kinetic"
    watches, this piece cost $80.00 in 1980. Best 80
    bucks I ever spent.
  • A7ceA7ce Birmingham, EnglandPosts: 655MI6 Agent
    Judjing by the comments so far, the question is ' did you like the Seiko watches in the Bond films' as opposed to 'do you like Seikio watches'?

Looking back at the Bond Seiko watches as worn by Rog, they look tacky, although at the time a digital watch , even just displaying the time only was the one to have. I haven't worn a digital watch for about 20 years, prefer my analogue and chronographs - and for that, Seiko is one of the better brands in it's 100 - 300 pounds price range, only just over Accurist, Citizen etc.

This is the one that I currently wear:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Latest-Seiko-FlightMaster-Alarm-Chrono-SNA413-RRP-295_W0QQitemZ110121720300QQihZ001QQcategoryZ31387QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I had this one for two years, about two years ago

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SEIKO-FLIGHTMASTER-CHRONO-SLIDE-RULE-SND255P1-RRP-250_W0QQitemZ250110171566QQihZ015QQcategoryZ31387QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Can't fault them in any way.