CR Review in "The New Yorker"

cdsdsscdsdss JakartaPosts: 144MI6 Agent
It's pretty spoiler-heavy, and the critic can't come right out and say whether he likes it or not, but they gave it an entire column (very unusual for TNYER).

http://www.newyorker.com/critics/cinema/

Comments

• GrishenkoGrishenko Posts: 45MI6 Agent
    I take this as a very positive review. The way he speaks of the characters as if they were real shows that he likes being in the world the filmmakers have created. Of all the reviews, this one has gotten me the most excited to finally see CR, not least of all because this guy clearly knows his stuff (or has a good research method)...
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,991Quartermasters
    edited November 2006
    Wow. The New Yorker agrees with me :D CR does share certain elements with OHMSS... :v
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • highhopeshighhopes Posts: 1,358MI6 Agent
    cdsdss wrote:
    It's pretty spoiler-heavy, and the critic can't come right out and say whether he likes it or not, but they gave it an entire column (very unusual for TNYER).

http://www.newyorker.com/critics/cinema/
    Grishenko wrote:
    I take this as a very positive review. The way he speaks of the characters as if they were real shows that he likes being in the world the filmmakers have created. Of all the reviews, this one has gotten me the most excited to finally see CR, not least of all because this guy clearly knows his stuff (or has a good research method)...

{[] That is a nothing less than a New Yorker rave; I knew it as soon as I read the reference to Bergman. Of course the reviewer can't come out and say, explicitly, "I liked it," any more than a New Yorker short story can have a plot, or a New Yorker cartoon be more than quietly amusing. But he did, big time.
  • Ashenden272Ashenden272 Posts: 8MI6 Agent
    I enjoyed reading it. But I see it as a mixed review.
  • Gassy ManGassy Man USAPosts: 2,972MI6 Agent
    Actually, it's quite a positive review. He clearly likes the film, despite some minor flaws.
  • Red IndianRed Indian BostonPosts: 427MI6 Agent
    edited November 2006
    I think it's pretty high praise!

Quote:

"She (Vesper) is the only woman with whom 007 partakes of coitus uninterruptus, and even that takes two hours to bring off."

Maybe he means "on-screen?" What about Solange? I guess the sex with her is just implied?
  • highhopeshighhopes Posts: 1,358MI6 Agent
    Even more telling, I think, is that he says Vesper is definitely not a Bond girl, but a Bond WOMAN who will do wonders for the sex appeal of bean counters.

Really, except for the length, which several critics have remarked upon, there isn't a complaint in the whole piece.
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,807MI6 Agent
    I think it's a mixed, but very positive review.
    Does that make sense? I also think I see a trend: even the most positive critics find the movie too long and "You know my name" poor. It's not mentioned here, but I haven't seen a review yet where the critics likes the song.
  • Red IndianRed Indian BostonPosts: 427MI6 Agent
    The title track and the length do seem to be the majority of the complaints. I can live with that if everything else works! If only they'd taken more care with the song... I understand the need for a departure in as many ways as possible, but Shirley Bassey or some other sure thing would have been great.
  • Gassy ManGassy Man USAPosts: 2,972MI6 Agent
    It's funny how diverse tastes can be. I like the theme song, and I suspect in years to come, it will grow on people, and I think Bond films should always be longer. The problem isn't the length whether the production is up to keeping our interest that long.
  • cdsdsscdsdss JakartaPosts: 144MI6 Agent
    +1 on the score. I think it's cool.

Upon re-reading the review, yeah, I guess he likes it. It's the Bond franchise that the critic can't admit that he likes...