Daniel Craig - Unfair press

I hope some of these people who slated Daniel Craig before he's even uttered a line now end up eating a large slice of humble pie!

Everyone's entitled to their opinion but some of the stuff said about him was ridiculous.

I currently serve in the RNR ( Royal Navy Reserve ) and know a few people who were at HMS President for the press conference to unveil him, and they said the comments being made, even some to his face, were unbelievable.

Hopefully this can now all be put to bed and we can just get on and enjoy our new Bond..

Comments

• PredatorPredator Posts: 790Chief of Staff
    Everyone's entitled to their opinion

Yup, and isn't that the great thing about Bond ... if you look at the top20 films most members have put-together, you'll notice that everyone has a different list.

Now, before this turns into a thread it shouldn't be (and we will close it if it does), I might also add that I still think people need to watch the film before definitively accepting or dismissing an actor in a role.
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,276MI6 Agent
    I hope some of these people who slated Daniel Craig before he's even uttered a line now end up eating a large slice of humble pie!

Well if he looked so good in that press conference, how come he looks nothing like that in the film... He's had a total makeover..
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,707MI6 Agent
    Well if he looked so good in that press conference, how come he looks nothing like that in the film... He's had a total makeover..

Well, yeah- he wasn't playing James Bond in the press conference; he was Daniel Craig who's currently making another movie. Just like Brosnan turing up to his press conference with long hair and a beard :)
  • amdb590amdb590 Posts: 3MI6 Agent
    totally agreed...i said all along to anyone who'd listen he was going to make a good bond..our friends in the north/layer cake, you could see the quality,
    in fact after seeing it last night he's fantastic...awesome..though slighty chesthairless for a bond i can tolerate that (just)
    but he was entirely believable....superb
    my boy and i were speechless at the end....
    i'm in lake como this sunday where the convalescence and ending was shot and i'll order a vodka martini in tribute when i'm in the bar!!{[]
    emtiem wrote:

Well, yeah- he wasn't playing James Bond in the press conference; he was Daniel Craig who's currently making another movie. Just like Brosnan turing up to his press conference with long hair and a beard :)

Yeah, I suppose Danny Craig always gets to his venue via a speed boat... 8-)

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • the names bondthe names bond Posts: 3MI6 Agent
    emtiem wrote:

You need to seperate fact from fiction. It was Daniel Craig the ACTOR at the press conference, not James Bond. The rigid raider idea was a marketing ploy between EON and The Royal Navy, to remind people of Bonds roots.

The stories of Daniel Craig being sh*t scared came from his flippant remark, and the fact he was wearing a lifejacket made him 'hardly a feared assassin' and 'shaken and stirred' according to the papers.

I personally just think it made him sensible. I've used these boats myself in Gibraltar and I wore one every time, it's called common sense.
    Well I don't think there was a lot of point unveiling him at that point if he was gonna look totally different in the film. The naysayers were going on how he looked in that conference, understandable, with no word from him or Campbell the director that he was gonna buff up/get fake tan/a crop.

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • superadosuperado Regent's Park West (CaliforniaPosts: 2,652MI6 Agent
    emtiem wrote:

You need to seperate fact from fiction. It was Daniel Craig the ACTOR at the press conference, not James Bond. The rigid raider idea was a marketing ploy between EON and The Royal Navy, to remind people of Bonds roots.

The stories of Daniel Craig being sh*t scared came from his flippant remark, and the fact he was wearing a lifejacket made him 'hardly a feared assassin' and 'shaken and stirred' according to the papers.

I personally just think it made him sensible. I've used these boats myself in Gibraltar and I wore one every time, it's called common sense.

Do I understand what some of you are saying, that there was no intention at all to visually cue Daniel Craig as James Bond at the press conference?
    "...the purposeful slant of his striding figure looked dangerous, as if he was making quickly for something bad that was happening further down the street." -SMERSH on 007 dossier photo, Ch. 6 FRWL.....
  • highhopeshighhopes Posts: 1,358MI6 Agent
    edited November 2006
    emtiem wrote:

No kidding -- and had Craig declined the vest, I wouldn't be surprised if the Royal Marines didn't insist he wear one. When I went to my son's U.S. Marine Corps boot camp graduation, they made me wear a long-sleeve shirt or jacket, boots, goggles and a reflective vest, just to drive my motorcycle at 20 mph on the base. Now I saw the film of those boats bouncing on a pretty choppy river, so I think the jacket was entirely appropriate -- even for James Bond. As for Craig's remark about being "scared" -- it was a joke that everyone just pounced on to make hay.
  • JimmyJimmy Posts: 32MI6 Agent
    superado wrote:
    [quote=the names bond

Do I understand what some of you are saying, that there was no intention at all to visually cue Daniel Craig as James Bond at the press conference?

Why should there be? He wasnt playing James Bond at the press conference, he was being himself. Why not get on Brosnan for having a beard during his press conference eh?
  • Red IndianRed Indian BostonPosts: 427MI6 Agent
    edited November 2006
    It's a ROLE. None of the actors that have played James Bond are in fact 007!

If anything, Craig's performance compared to his initial appearance at the press conference is a testament to how good of an actor he is!
  • darenhatdarenhat The Old PuebloPosts: 2,029Quartermasters
    highhopes wrote:

No kidding -- and had Craig declined the vest, I wouldn't be surprised if the Royal Marines didn't insist he wear one. When I went to my son's U.S. Marine Corps boot camp graduation, they made me wear a long-sleeve shirt or jacket, boots, goggles and a reflective vest, just to drive my motorcycle at 20 mph on the base. Now I saw the film of those boats bouncing on a pretty choppy river, so I think the jacket was entirely appropriate -- even for James Bond. As for Craig's remark about being "scared" -- it was a joke that everyone just pounced on to make hay.

I, for one, will be sadly disappointed if we don't see Bond don at least one life-jacket in CR. That's what I've really come to expect!

Just kidding! I think your right...Craig was probably commanded to wear the vest. I'm not sure if anyone else had to wear one, but I wouldn't be surprised if all the civilians were wearing 'matching attire'. And may I add this little note: I hope this doesn't turn into a Craig bashing thread, however I have no compunctions if it turns into a Press-Bashing thread. :p
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,990Quartermasters
    I believe I've read that one of the RN guys actually insisted that he wear the life vest...
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • i expect u2 diei expect u2 die LondonPosts: 583MI6 Agent
    I believe I've read that one of the RN guys actually insisted that he wear the life vest...

Yep, I even saw the footage of him insisting on a recent tv documentary about the film.
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,990Quartermasters
    Well...success is the best revenge, and I hope The New Guy exacts some lucrative revenge starting this weekend :v

Less than three hours now until my sons and I get to see the movie...I've got the martini fixings ready... -{

I will report back :007)
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • Willie GarvinWillie Garvin Posts: 1,412MI6 Agent
    edited November 2006
    Well I don't think there was a lot of point unveiling him at that point if he was gonna look totally different in the film. The naysayers were going on how he looked in that conference, understandable, with no word from him or Campbell the director that he was gonna buff up/get fake tan/a crop.

Maybe the muscular physique and the shorter hair weren't part of the original plan, but were what Craig and EON decided on after the announcement took place.Also,Craig was finishing up another movie(a remake of Invasion of the Body Snatchers) at the time he was selected and introduced as the new 007.As a result, his appearance might understandably differ from his look for CR.

Additionally,the Navy would insist that Craig wear a lifejacket as a means of protecting himself in case of any unforeseen accident.While on the water with the Navy,Craig was their responsibility,and his personal safety would be foremost on their minds.
  • Red IndianRed Indian BostonPosts: 427MI6 Agent
    edited November 2006
    Me too Loeff! I've got tickets for the 5:45 pm EST. I got them at noon today and the 9:00 pm showing here in downtown Boston was already sold out!

It's absolutely fantastic how Craig just put his head down and did exactly what he said he and the producers would do:

"Set out to make the best film we can."

Well, it sure sounds like they did just that and then some...

I will be mixing martinis as well when I get home after the film! -{

Preemptive cheers to all! {[]

Yep, I even saw the footage of him insisting on a recent tv documentary about the film.

Becoming Bond, actually.
  • Johnny DangerJohnny Danger Savannah, GA USAPosts: 60MI6 Agent
    Over one year later, here we are on about the life-jacket incident again.

Well, I don't know about boating on the Thames, but around here it is illegal to be on a boat without a life-jacket and subject to a fine if caught. Unless the boat is docked.

As for those who feel duped because Craig wasn't wearing his Bond costume 8-) at the press conference... yeesh, give me a freakin' break.
    edited November 2006
    Jimmy wrote:
    superado wrote:

Why should there be? He wasnt playing James Bond at the press conference, he was being himself. Why not get on Brosnan for having a beard during his press conference eh?

What does Brosnan's press conference have to do with it? These are two unique events. Why was Brosnan presented on dry land, and Craig on water? I'm talking about Craig's intro as the new Bond, and if there was any intent at all to visually cue that fact with how he was presented. My point has nothing to with, whether or not Craig came across like Bond at this event, nor does it have anything to do with the life jacket, but that effort was made to make him Bond-like.
    "...the purposeful slant of his striding figure looked dangerous, as if he was making quickly for something bad that was happening further down the street." -SMERSH on 007 dossier photo, Ch. 6 FRWL.....
    edited November 2006
    emtiem wrote:

I'm not sure what your point is...?

Pierce Brosnan, June 1994, long hair and beard. Was there no point in unveiling him then?
    superado wrote:

Pierce Brosnan, June 1994, long hair and beard plus Walther PPK. Are you saying Pierce carries a handgun with him at all times? That there was no attempt to visually tie him in with the role he was to begin playing, despite his un-Bondly appearance? Did you feel somehow duped then when you saw he wouldn't actually be playing Bond as Robinson Crusoe?
    Is this renewed crowing because everyone's actually accepting that Craig is Bond now, but are trying to blame their complaining last year on the producers for not somehow showing us clips of the film they hadn't made yet so everyone could feel all warm and cuddly inside?
    If you think he's Bond now, why not just admit you were wrong to deny the possibility of him ever being Bond, that you didn't have the imagination of the producers and stop trying to blame them because you personally couldn't see it. It's terribly silly, and the film is a great fun time in the cinema. I genuinely hope you've enjoyed it.
    Sorry to butt into your discussion superado, but as a casual reader, you don't seem to be making much sense.

You are asking a different poster about an original comment made by another poster.

And as Johnny Danger rightly points out, we did this to death a year ago.
    superado wrote:
    Jimmy wrote:
    superado wrote:

What does Brosnan's press conference have to do with it? These are two unique events.

They are both introductions of the new James Bond, sounds like they have a lot to do with each other.
    My point has nothing to with, whether or not Craig came across like Bond at this event, nor does it have anything to do with the life jacket, but that effort was made to make him Bond-like.

Fair enough. Perhaps they were merely trying to do something different by having him arrive by boat. It backfired, next time they'll learn from their mistakes.
    Predator wrote:
    Sorry to butt into your discussion superado, but as a casual reader, you don't seem to be making much sense.

You are asking a different poster about an original comment made by another poster.

Forgive me, I take responsibility as the only person contributing to a topic that's been beaten to death. Feel better?
    superado wrote:
    Predator wrote:

Forgive me, I take responsibility as the only person contributing to a topic that's been beaten to death. Feel better?

well you're the only who's still going on about it as if they did wrong, so it kind of makes sense to address you. The rest of us kind of understood that he isn't James Bond in real life, but still gets introduced as 'James Bond' in public appearances and had no problem with the introduction. I'm sure next time they'll introduce the new one in a blaze of darkness in a cellar so as not to confuse anyone. :D
    superado wrote:
    Feel better?

Not particularly no. And if you'll note, I didn't think this thread a particularly good idea on page one.
  • Willie GarvinWillie Garvin Posts: 1,412MI6 Agent
    Let's all try and get along,shall we?Surely we can disagree agreeably.

And no--I wasn't calling anybody Shirley.:)
  • Johnny DangerJohnny Danger Savannah, GA USAPosts: 60MI6 Agent
    When the Rolling Stones announced their world tour
    a few years ago by arriving to their press conference in a zeppelin, I thought they had all gotten the roll of Bond.

I guess somebody at EON decided it would be kind of exciting (and newsworthy)to see the new Bond ACTOR arrive at the press conference in a speeding boat. As opposed to, say, seeing him ride up on a bicycle or step out of a beat-up old VW. They had already done the dry land thing with Broz. I don't think we were supposed to assume he was "in character". In fact, at the time, I was soooo sure they would dye his hair black before filming sarted. But I quit giving a flying one about that months ago.
    Predator wrote:
    superado wrote:
    Feel better?

Not particularly no. And if you'll note, I didn't think this thread a particularly good idea on page one.

Well, I'm glad that you made entiem feel better.
    emtiem wrote:
    Pierce Brosnan, June 1994, long hair and beard plus Walther PPK. Are you saying Pierce carries a handgun with him at all times? That there was no attempt to visually tie him in with the role he was to begin playing, despite his un-Bondly appearance? Did you feel somehow duped then when you saw he wouldn't actually be playing Bond as Robinson Crusoe?

Tiring, I know, but again, why the speedboat? Too bad that you still can't come up with a plausible explanation to refute that unfortunate fact...as always. And as always, resorting to rudeness to try to cover up for your weakness.
    Is this renewed crowing because everyone's actually accepting that Craig is Bond now, but are trying to blame their complaining last year on the producers for not somehow showing us clips of the film they hadn't made yet so everyone could feel all warm and cuddly inside?

Who's crowing here? More evidence for your typical smokescreening. How is the above relevant to my particular part of the discussion?
    If you think he's Bond now...
    No, I don't think he is Bond, though that won't stop me should I choose to, from appreciating the (perceived) finer points of the movie; would you in turn have an open enough mind to consider that other people can think and process their imagination differently from you?
    ...why not just admit you were wrong to deny the possibility of him ever being Bond, that you didn't have the imagination of the producers and stop trying to blame them because you personally couldn't see it. It's terribly silly, and the film is a great fun time in the cinema. I genuinely hope you've enjoyed it.

That's quite a presumptious statement to make. Quite a leap. Is that how people who don't like Craig really think? That any one of us don't have the imagination to see Craig as Bond beyond the shadow of doubt? Considering how open you are to new ideas, they'll love you in San Quentin.

You are a very small man, :(|) made that way by your even smaller mind, who just happens to be on the side of popular opinion...so enjoy it. B-)
This discussion has been closed.