Smilies

Might seem a stupid question but what are the most used and least used smilies? And I've been trying to find the post where I used all the smilies but I haven't been successful.

Comments

• SiCoSiCo EnglandPosts: 1,371M
    I have no idea and no way of telling!

I would say :D ;) :) and 8-)
    Simon
  • Jedi MasterJedi Master UKPosts: 1,093MI6 Agent
    what about :007) mr 007 himself?

Have you ever noticed how his title is actually double zero seven not double O seven? Just a thing I thought of...
    Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice and everyone dies.
  • s96024s96024 Posts: 1,519MI6 Agent
    I see a lot of {[].
  • MAHOMAHO Posts: 95MI6 Agent
    what about :007) mr 007 himself?

Is that supposed to be JB? Shouldn't there be a more distinctive one? Something like the one on this page:
    http://smileys.sur-la-toile.com/categorie5-Films+et+TV.html

Or one that looks like that Dalton poster where he's pressing the gun to his cheek. Now, a smiley like that would be really cool.

---
    jfm
  • JennyFlexFanJennyFlexFan Posts: 1,497MI6 Agent
    But the smilie couldn't look like Dalton, because I'd probably end up freaking out and making the ADSL (Anti Dalton Smilie League). ;)
  • Moore Not LessMoore Not Less Posts: 1,095MI6 Agent
    I would be rather pleased if the winking smilie was banned from this site. For me, it represents a kind of kindergarten one-upmanship mentality.

If I ever post the winking smilie then feel free to ban me from this site.
  • JennyFlexFanJennyFlexFan Posts: 1,497MI6 Agent
    WHAT? MNL, I love ya, but this cannot be done! The wink is CRUCIAL to many of my posts, because sometimes my preachiness is a bit over-the-top and I need it to bring in some happy and make sure that it's not to be taken so seriously.

I love the wink, we both love Roger, but I will defend the wink to my dying day! ;) OH, what now.

The smilie that I don't like is the monkey because no one uses it and as much as the concept of the martini is good, the cheers one has more of a tenure and is used more.

I find myself using the Take Cover one more though because everyone has been brainwashed by CR and all the naysayers must duck and cover after slamming it.

Oh but before I go, MNL.

;)

There, now it's perfect! ;)

Hehehehe... ;)
    The wink is very useful for sarcastic statements or where you want people to know your not being serious or are joking.
  • jetsetwillyjetsetwilly Liverpool, UKPosts: 1,048MI6 Agent
    I would be rather pleased if the winking smilie was banned from this site. For me, it represents a kind of kindergarten one-upmanship mentality.

I totally agree that smilies can be irritating, but I wouldn't do without them; since so much of what I write is sarcastic, and can be misinterpreted, I need the smilie to alert irony-deficient readers. I've tried writing without it, and you'd be surprised at some of the PMs and replies I've had!

What we need is a link to my webcam so you can see that I really do raise one eyebrow as I type...
    Founder of the Wint & Kidd Appreciation Society.

@merseytart

I totally agree that smilies can be irritating, but I wouldn't do without them; since so much of what I write is sarcastic, and can be misinterpreted, I need the smilie to alert irony-deficient readers. I've tried writing without it, and you'd be surprised at some of the PMs and replies I've had!

What we need is a link to my webcam so you can see that I really do raise one eyebrow as I type...

I think the world of communication has survived quite nicely for thousands of years without smilies. And there's no guarantee that you won't be misinterpreted even if you use them. Not that I have any real problem with them in general, I use them quite often. It's just that I dislike the winking smilie for the reason I posted previously. Plus, it's also used as a provocative measure.
  • Lazenby880Lazenby880 LondonPosts: 525MI6 Agent
    I think the world of communication has survived quite nicely for thousands of years without smilies.
    While you are undoubtedly correct MNL, I have found that the internet can be a mad place. In the past I have made what I thought to be an obviously humorous remark, only to have the other person take it completely seriously. This is especially true when communicating with people of a different, albeit similar, culture.

If I am trying (and normally failing) to be funny, I will often put in a winking smiley to make clear my meaning. However, I do try to be more careful nowadays and refrain from making what I think to be a humorous post unless I am sure the other person will take it in the right way.
    And there's no guarantee that you won't be misinterpreted even if you use them.
    That is true, although I do think misinterpretation is less likely.
    Plus, it's also used as a provocative measure.
    I did not realise this. Of course this is wrong as these smilies should not be used to provoke, but if one or two misuse them it would seem harsh to ban them for the rest of us.
    I am not sure if this is actually a discussion about banning smilies or not...

Smilies are a major part of the internet when it comes to communication. Compared o most forums ajb has hardly any smilies and this is the way I like it!

They are simply there to aid the written word, if people abuse them unfortunatley that's just life and someone will always try and misuse anything.

As a site I think the smilies are generally used quite well. Like I said though I don't know if this is 100% serious... but the idea of smilies won't be removed... I am however always open to changing some or adding / removing some.
    Simon
    Lazenby880 wrote:
    If I am trying (and normally failing) to be funny, I will often put in a winking smiley to make clear my meaning. However, I do try to be more careful nowadays and refrain from making what I think to be a humorous post unless I am sure the other person will take it in the right way.

Interesting. I have never interpreted the winking smiley to mean humour. When I am trying (and often failing) to be funny I usually use the big grinning smiley to make clear my meaning. It just goes to show that even with smileys misinterpretation is distinctly possible.
    edited March 2007
    SiCo wrote:
    I am not sure if this is actually a discussion about banning smilies or not...

Smilies are a major part of the internet when it comes to communication. Compared o most forums ajb has hardly any smilies and this is the way I like it!

They are simply there to aid the written word, if people abuse them unfortunatley that's just life and someone will always try and misuse anything.

As a site I think the smilies are generally used quite well. Like I said though I don't know if this is 100% serious... but the idea of smilies won't be removed... I am however always open to changing some or adding / removing some.

It's not 100% serious, SiCo.

I stated my dislike of the winking smiley because of what it represents to me. And while I did state that I would be rather pleased if it was banned from this site, I do realise that the winking smiley does not represent the same thing to other members. And I do appear to be in a very small minority (if you judge by it's constant use).
    Unfortunatley a wink can be used in both ways in real life too so it's a difficult one to judge.

I personally believe it doesn't cause any harm but I am listening in so if anyone else feels otherwise voice your opinion!
    Simon
    The difference with real life and the internet is that you communicate with more than just words in the real world. Everything about the way you speak and pronounce words and the facial expressions you make help people to know in what way to take whatever you are saying. Still people in the real world frequently misinterpret what your saying. Online this is a lot more frequent. Smilies really help. A wink is a exprssion of trust or understanding, so I would not take it in a negative manner. But as in the real world people misinterpret peoples intentions and I guess this varies depending on where your from. It's just a fact of life.

Soon these 21st century hitlers won't want us to speak incase we offend someone.
    s96024 wrote:
    Soon these 21st century hitlers won't want us to speak incase we offend someone.

I'm not sure who that's aimed at but if it's a member on this site you are treading on very thin ice.
    Simon
    SiCo wrote:
    s96024 wrote:

I'm not sure who that's aimed at but if it's a member on this site you are treading on very thin ice.

I'm not talking about anyone specific, just generally about all the people who restrict what we say and do in ridiculous ways. Me and my big mouth, new I shouldn't have added that, maybe it needed a smilie. ;)