For Your Cataracts Only

Watched For Your Eyes Only last night. Without doubt a great Bond film and a fav of mine. But Roger Moore's Bond spends the film walking round like a buffoon. When he's sent to "isolate" Hector Gonzales, he turns up during the middle of the day, with guards everywhere and gets caught stright away. Moore also spends a great deal of time looking scared & worried. Also would Bond have turned away a naked 18-year-old Bibi from his bed? :007)

Comments

• i expect u2 diei expect u2 die LondonPosts: 583MI6 Agent
    edited November 2006
    Eagleman wrote:
    Also would Bond have turned away a naked 18-year-old Bibi from his bed? :007)

Yes. To quote my school report: "he could do better."
  • taitytaity Posts: 702MI6 Agent
    Point of interest, the actress playing Melina wasnt drastically older, except they didnt have her playing a teenager.
  • cdsdsscdsdss JakartaPosts: 144MI6 Agent
    I appreciated FYEO's attempt to bring Bond down to Earth (so to speak) from the escapism of "Moonraker." That said, the movie has always underwhelmed me. The stakes seems small, Bond seems casual to the point of disinterested (Eagleman's point about Bond's infiltration technique of Gonzalez consisting of, well, sauntering right up to his compound in the middle of the day is a good point).

Finally, the simplistic and hypocritical moralizing Bond does against revenge just makes me retch. Hell, he kills someone out of revenge in this very film.
  • Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    edited November 2006
    I loved FYEO. It's ninth on my list and I consider it to be Moore's second best Bond film. I won't go into too much detail now (I'll be rewatching FYEO again very soon, and I'll go into more detail then) but, while it isn't perfect, I think it's a great Bond film which proved that Moore was truly capable of making a more 'realistic' Bond film. The best Bond film of the 80's IMO. {[]
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman