Is Q going to be in the next movie?

Pierce Brosnan335Pierce Brosnan335 Posts: 46MI6 Agent
I really missed Q and all his rants on certain gizmos and gadgets is he going to be back next film? Also if john Cleese doesn't Come back who do you think should play Q?

Comments

• ATPrescottATPrescott Posts: 39MI6 Agent
    I really wouldn't be surprised if Q did return along with Miss Eurodollar... 8-) ;%

We'll just hafta wait and see.
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,286MI6 Agent
    From Russia with Dove...

Never Say Feather Again....

:D
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • Myk_Myk_ LondonPosts: 13MI6 Agent
    edited July 2019
    -Deleted-
  • mike77mike77 Posts: 27MI6 Agent
    edited November 2006
    isn't his name Villiers?(he's the one who tells M that Bond is the best Pokerman)
  • Myk_Myk_ LondonPosts: 13MI6 Agent
    edited July 2019
    -Deleted-
  • mike77mike77 Posts: 27MI6 Agent
    that would make it interesting yes, but we are pretty sure Q and monneypenny will return, it just has to.

But still, the gadgets will be more realistic than in the other movies, I hope...
  • highhopeshighhopes Posts: 1,358MI6 Agent
    I've caught the continuity bug:
    If Q is reintroduced -- and since I personally don't really miss him or his gadgets I'm sorta hoping he won't -- would he dislike Bond? Since Bond is a new 00, what reason would he have? The old "Try to show some respect for Her Majesty's property for once, 007," shtick wouldn't really work, would it?
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,990Quartermasters
    edited November 2006
    highhopes wrote:
    I've caught the continuity bug:
    If Q is reintroduced -- and since I personally don't really miss him or his gadgets I'm sorta hoping he won't -- would he dislike Bond? Since Bond is a new 00, what reason would he have? The old "Try to show some respect for Her Majesty's property for once, 007," shtick wouldn't really work, would it?

I think he could always sneer at Bond's youth, relative to his own, or bemoan 007's lack of attention during the equipment briefings*...whatever they choose to do with him, I think it will be understated---particularly compared to Cleese's "There's always an excuse with you, isn't there, Double-Oh-Zero?"

*"I do hope I'm not boring you, Double-Oh-Seven."
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • VampiressRNVampiressRN CaliforniaPosts: 203MI6 Agent
    Myk_ wrote:
    We will not know for a while yet, but it just reminded me of a suspision I had whilst watching CR....

In CR, we see a lot of M. We also see her office, which is a completely new one in comparison to any of Brosnan's films. Well, correct me if I'm wrong, but outside her office, she seems to have a secretary, who is male...

Could this man turn out to be the new Moneypenny?
    Think about it, it could easily happen. The character of M is, according to the novels, male.

You know who Im taling about yeh? The man who phones M in the middle of the night to tell her about where Bond is?

What dya think? A plausible idea?

That is an interesting theory indeed....I like it but it would surely place a thorn in the side of the purists. :p
    edited November 2006
    "I do hope I'm not boring you, Double-Oh-Seven."

I don't know about 007, but by Bond 17 or 18, he was killing me. :))

I guess my biggest fear is that by the time we bring back Q, the gadgets, Moneypenny, a male M, the gun barrel sequence exactly like it was before, etc ... Just add a madman bent on world domination, and voila -- meet the new Bond, same as the old Bond.

I like surprises at the movies, even in genre pictures. If they could present these characters in a natural way (instead of - "OK, Bond's left M's office. Cue Q scene.") like the humor in CR , that would be OK. But to bring them back just to shoehorn Bond cliches back into the movies would be a mistake in my opinion, and a step backward.

If we have to have a Q, why not make him different in some way? How about really, really young? You look at the people in high-tech today, they look like they're barely old enough to shave. Maybe he gets calls from his mom, who has no idea he works for MI6, interrupting his briefings to Bond's annoyance. His age is classified. Make him so much smarter than Bond that it's Bond who's the exasperated one, having to deal with this young smart-ass.

Edit: How about if Q is a WOMAN who's absolutely brilliant which bugs Bond, while "Moneypenney," as someone else suggested in another thread, is a guy?
    I don't know -- anything, just not the old stock character.
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,804MI6 Agent
    Interesting.....
    I'm not shure I agree, but the idea is intriguing.
  • A7ceA7ce Birmingham, EnglandPosts: 655MI6 Agent
    Sean Connery's first Bond Film didn't have Q in.
    Nor did Roger Moore's first Bond film.
    So why all the fuss that he wasn't in Daniel Craig's James Bond film?

I'm sure Q/R/P etc will return...
  • Klaus HergescheimerKlaus Hergescheimer Posts: 332MI6 Agent
    The man who should be the next Q:

th_17502_promo_house7_122_370lo.jpg
  • sampile2005sampile2005 Posts: 56MI6 Agent
    A7ce wrote:

Q was in Connery's first one... just not known as Q but Major Boothroyd which is the same character as far as I'm aware
  • A7ceA7ce Birmingham, EnglandPosts: 655MI6 Agent
    A7ce wrote:

Q was in Connery's first one... just not known as Q but Major Boothroyd which is the same character as far as I'm aware

I know that, but people here are asking for a Q as in Q. For that matter we could say the man who puts the bug in JB's arm in CR was also a Q or from the Quartemaster's Office. But I think people want an old codger that Bond can bounce off...
  • Gassy ManGassy Man USAPosts: 2,972MI6 Agent
    I could stand for one more Bond film without Q. Part of it is out of respect for Desmond Llewelyn, who was nothing but a class act in the role and who seemed as much born to play it as Connery was to play Bond. Who today could follow him? (No offense, Klaus, but as much as I like "House," I'm not yet ready for Hugh Laurie to make his debut as Q.) But I also fear a shift in tone once his character returns, and I'm enjoying this hard-hitting, character-driven, Connery-esque Bond so much, I'd like at least one more film in that vein. Let Craig's third (and perhaps last) film be the one where they return to the formula.
  • ThunderballsThunderballs Posts: 16MI6 Agent
    I'd rather not see Q or Moneypenny in the films, personally. I don't see why the gadgets and gear can't simply come from "Q" Branch, perhaps with a Major Boothroyd as head of the branch.
    As for Moneypenny, I don't think Craig's Bond is quite at the level of meaningless flirting, just yet. He's had is heart broken, and he's driven by vengeance. I think he will use women for release, or he will use them for information in the next film, but I doubt he will have much use for friendly banter with the secretary, yet.
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,356Chief of Staff
    highhopes wrote:
    Edit: How about if Q is a WOMAN who's absolutely brilliant which bugs Bond?

Q'ute idea, but it's John Gardner's!
    edited November 2006
    Barbel wrote:
    highhopes wrote:
    Edit: How about if Q is a WOMAN who's absolutely brilliant which bugs Bond?

Q'ute idea, but it's John Gardner's!

That's MISTER Gardner to you, pal ... :))

Is it really? Well, great minds do think alike. What about Q as a young whippersnapper? I'll bet he's not that bright.
    edited November 2006
    highhopes wrote:

Is it really? Well, great minds do think alike. What about Q as a young whippersnapper? I'll be he's not that bright.

Owing to EON holding the rights to the character of Q, MISTER Gardner (working for what was then called Glidrose Publications but is now Ian Fleming Publications) was obliged to call the head of Q Branch Major Boothroyd (except when novelising films- then he could call him Q). He therefore created a character working under said Boothroyd by the name of Ann Reilly, who being rather better looking than John Cleese is immediately dubbed Q'ute. Boothroyd is then faded into the background and she more or less takes over Q's functions- plus some other ones, too...

No sign of a young whippersnapper, though.
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,804MI6 Agent
    Yes, Hugh Laurie should play Q!
    Barbel wrote:
    highhopes wrote:

Is it really? Well, great minds do think alike. What about Q as a young whippersnapper? I'll be he's not that bright.

Owing to EON holding the rights to the character of Q, MISTER Gardner (working for what was then called Glidrose Publications but is now Ian Fleming Publications) was obliged to call the head of Q Branch Major Boothroyd (except when novelising films- then he could call him Q). He therefore created a character working under said Boothroyd by the name of Ann Reilly, who being rather better looking than John Cleese is immediately dubbed Q'ute. Boothroyd is then faded into the background and she more or less takes over Q's functions- plus some other ones, too...

No sign of a young whippersnapper, though.

That's interesting. I've never read any of the post-Fleming novels. The whole Bond universe is a regular Rubik's Cube of legalisms, though, isn't it?
  • markdownmarkdown Posts: 47MI6 Agent
    i would hope not. the only reason the character was there in the past was to provide 5 or so minutes of comic relief before the film got going again.he was just a foil put there to feed bond his one liners etc in essence he was the straight man in a double act. the new film/s do not need this padding out and as we saw in CR the humour can still be injected into the story in a less forced fashion.i for one would'nt be sorry if we never saw Q again. as for the gadgets they could still be present. there is no neccessity for them to be introduced into the story with the words "now pay attention bond" to me that always signalled the fact, the particular gadget involved was going to save bonds life in some way.which rather took away the surprise factor,think of the de-fib scene in CR if a Q figure had shown that to bond earliar in the film, it's impact when it was used i believe would have been far less.
    highhopes wrote:
    That's interesting. I've never read any of the post-Fleming novels. The whole Bond universe is a regular Rubik's Cube of legalisms, though, isn't it?

Very true! The Q/Boothroyd legality isn't much in the great scheme of things compared to some of the others (McClory and TB, Feldman/Sony/CR, Norman/Barry and the Theme... and those are just, er, the tip of the tentacle).

Out of interest, hopeful one, is there a specific reason why you've not read the post-Fleming books, or have you merely not got round to that yet?
  • Mikep99Mikep99 Posts: 104MI6 Agent
    Connery should come in as Q
    Barbel wrote:
    highhopes wrote:

Very true! The Q/Boothroyd legality isn't much in the great scheme of things compared to some of the others (McClory and TB, Feldman/Sony/CR, Norman/Barry and the Theme... and those are just, er, the tip of the tentacle).

Out of interest, hopeful one, is there a specific reason why you've not read the post-Fleming books, or have you merely not got round to that yet?

Just haven't gotten around to it, I guess. I know they're out there, but I find myself re-reading a Fleming book instead when I'm in the mood for a Bond story. I'll have to check it out, though. People say they're pretty good, and in some cases better than IF's.
    highhopes wrote:
    People say they're pretty good, and in some cases better than IF's.

What? :o In which cases??!!

Generally TMWTGG is regarded as IF's weakest (and there are reasons for that) and CS as the best of the continuations- but what this has to do with Q I can't figure. Guilty of wandering off-topic, your honour.

Anyway, I'm one who hopes a traditional Q is in Bond 22.
    markdown wrote:
    Think of the de-fib scene in CR if a Q figure had shown that to bond earliar in the film, it's impact when it was used i believe would have been far less.

That's a very good point, (although in this particular case, I had heard about the defillibrator in reviews). I too would just as soon move on. There are a lot of "Bond film traditions" that, if all of them were brought back, might hamstring the scriptwriters. I think they earned our trust with CR and we should trust them to come up with a winning script for Bond 22 -- with or without the traditional trimmings.
  • cdsdsscdsdss JakartaPosts: 144MI6 Agent
    highhopes wrote:
    I too would just as soon move on. There are a lot of "Bond film traditions" that, if all of them were brought back, might hamstring the scriptwriters. I think they earned our trust with CR and we should trust them to come up with a winning script for Bond 22 -- with or without the traditional trimmings.

I agree. One thing that struck me about CR was how swiftly the film moved into its storyline. A pause to visit the Q-lab would have messed up the momentum.
  • Krassno GranitskiKrassno Granitski USAPosts: 896MI6 Agent
    edited November 2006
    I didn't miss Q one bit or his inane gadgets. Barely noticed his absence.