Who is James Bond?

zebondzebond DolletPosts: 103MI6 Agent
I thought now would probably be the most fitting time to spark a conversation like this one seeing as we've just welcomed in a new James Bond. And this is now our sixth (official) interpretation of who James Bond is. My question is simply, in the 007 fans eyes (that's us) who is James Bond?
In my opinion he is a dark brooding, haunted spy. Cold blooded and not incredibly caring. The movies I think that show this the best are FRWL, FYEO, TLDL, LTK, and now CR. Timothy Dalton was for a long time the only Bond I thought captured what I saw as the essence of James Bond, but now I have to admit Daniel Craig has done it admirably.
A few examples of moments that define my vision of James Bond are-
DN- The killing of Proffesor Dent
FRWL- Bond's handling of the death of Kerim Bey
DAF- Bond's seeking of vengeance for the death of Tracy
FYEO- Bond's disposing of "mysterious bald man"
TLDL- When Bond loses it at the carnival attempting to find the assasin
CR- the smirk on Bond's face after the bomb maker blows himself up

So how about you? Do you fell Roger Moore captured the essence of Bond? In your eyes is Bond a sarcastic jokester, or a outgoing man? Who has captured who you believe James Bond to be the best? Keep in mind, this is not neccesarily asking you who you think the best Bond was. . .
"Guns make me nervous!"

Comments

• A7ceA7ce Birmingham, EnglandPosts: 655MI6 Agent
    zebond wrote:
    quote]

That didn't happen in DAF
  • Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    edited November 2006
    A7ce wrote:
    zebond wrote:
    One could argue that it occured in the PTS.
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
  • A7ceA7ce Birmingham, EnglandPosts: 655MI6 Agent
    Dan Same wrote:
    A7ce wrote:
    zebond wrote:
    One could argue that it occured in the PTS.

Well he didn't seemed to peeved about it then. That was the jolliest JB in any PTS.

If he was indeed to seek revenge, he would have blood in his eyes. He didn't really seem to give a damn later in the film either with regards to Blofeld.
  • zebondzebond DolletPosts: 103MI6 Agent
    "Welcome to hell Blofeld" :) - and M's comment about Blofeld being dead and how Bond can get back to work now -- do I need to say anything more?
    "Guns make me nervous!"
  • Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    A7ce wrote:
    Well he didn't seemed to peeved about it then. That was the jolliest JB in any PTS.

If he was indeed to seek revenge, he would have blood in his eyes. He didn't really seem to give a damn later in the film either with regards to Blofeld.
    I agree about later on in the film, but I disagree that he was "the jolliest JB in any PTS." He threatened to strangle a woman to death with her bikini; that wasn't pretty jolly. ;)
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
  • JohmssJohmss Posts: 274MI6 Agent
    In DAF, he ends the movie well, pretty vell. i'm still mourning tracy's dead, and i'm not really that crazy about Tiffany case. the movie per se doesn't feel like a vendetta, more like another bond film.

i've like to add some scenes:

-When Bond checks his hotel room in Dr. no. Te hait in the closet, the powder in the briefcase. it also aplies in OHMSS when he realizes he's got a camera in his lamp or AVTAK with the microphone and the recorder.
    -Moore's snake attack in LALD (i just love it)
    -The "Property of a Lady" scene in Octopussy
    -The hotel scene in Tanger with Puskin (in fact, the fake assassination as well.)
  • Brosnan_fanBrosnan_fan Sydney, AustraliaPosts: 521MI6 Agent
    Interesting question. Going by what we already know about him (Bear in mind I have no intention of seeing CR):

The best agent in the British Secret Service (though it boggles the mind that he should always use his real name when on assignment). :))
    A complete loner, though he appreciates time with associates and friends, and CRAVES female companionship. ;) :007)

Clearly his past relationships with women have left him cold and aloof, and some of them who have died have left him feeling their loss (he is a widower, after all). His relationship and intentions with his boss' secretary are still unclear, and remains so. 8-)

Bond is quite efficient in both detective work and dispatching his opposition (either with weapons or in unarmed combat), and displays ingenuity in escaping from tight spots. He also has a wry, sometimes perverted sense of humour, but one which pales in comparison to that of his enemies. :v

Enjoys travelling the world to wherever his work takes him, playing card games and smoking. He is also quite a connoisseur of foods and fine wines, though his favourite drink is the vodka martini - shaken, not stirred. -{

Quite skilled in utilising all sorts of vehicles (flies planes and helicopters, and drives boats, motorcycles, tanks and even moon buggies 8-)), but like the average man, he enjoys driving around in sleek sports cars. B-)

In summary, a thrill-seeking playboy assassin who has personal issues, but gets his job done and lives a lifestyle many would envy. :007)
    "Well, he certainly left with his tails between his legs."
  • Cynjin SmythCynjin Smyth Rocky MountiansPosts: 98MI6 Agent
    zebond wrote:
    I thought now would probably be the most fitting time to spark a conversation like this one seeing as we've just welcomed in a new James Bond. And this is now our sixth (official) interpretation of who James Bond is. My question is simply, in the 007 fans eyes (that's us) who is James Bond?
    In my opinion he is a dark brooding, haunted spy. Cold blooded and not incredibly caring. The movies I think that show this the best are FRWL, FYEO, TLDL, LTK, and now CR. Timothy Dalton was for a long time the only Bond I thought captured what I saw as the essence of James Bond, but now I have to admit Daniel Craig has done it admirably.
    A few examples of moments that define my vision of James Bond are-
    DN- The killing of Proffesor Dent
    FRWL- Bond's handling of the death of Kerim Bey
    FYEO- Bond's disposing of "mysterious bald man"
    TLDL- When Bond loses it at the carnival attempting to find the assasin
    CR- the smirk on Bond's face after the bomb maker blows himself up

So how about you? Do you fell Roger Moore captured the essence of Bond? In your eyes is Bond a sarcastic jokester, or a outgoing man? Who has captured who you believe James Bond to be the best? Keep in mind, this is not neccesarily asking you who you think the best Bond was. . .

I like all of your examples except one.

FYEO: When Bond confronts Locque on the cliff.
    Bond: You don't think I enjoyed what we did this evening, do you? What I did tonight was for King and country! You don't think it gave me any pleasure, do you?
    Fiona: But of course, I forgot your ego, Mr. Bond. James Bond, who only has to make love to a woman and she starts to hear heavenly choirs singing.
  • scottmu65scottmu65 Carlisle, Cumbria, UKPosts: 402MI6 Agent
    going back to the DAF comments, the PTS could of indeed be bond seeking vengeance, but as he is bond he doesnt need to get all angry about it, lets not forget he is james bond, he is not easily wound up, he was calmly and cooly killing his way to blofeld.
    http://www.classicbondforums.tk - Please support our community.
  • 3rbrown3rbrown MI6 Top Secret - Scotland, GlaPosts: 100MI6 Agent
    edited March 2007
    James Bond is complex but only shows true emotion 3 times:
    Tracy's death OHMSS
    Felix attact by a shark LTK
    Vesper's death CR
    He is a cold and ruthless killer, but relly he is a man with a trobled childlife with his parants dying at a young age at 8 and growing up on the streets. He is the type of man that will shake your hand with his right hand and stike a knife in you with his left. A gentleman and a hartless man in one. The perfect spy
    He also has the most dullest name in the world "James Bond" but after 45 years it has become the coolest