Why is the DB5 Left hand Drive?

JayskiJayski Munich, GermanyPosts: 82MI6 Agent
I watched the movie for a second time and noticed the DB5 5 is left hand drive, kinda disappointing, but then again, at least that car was in the movie :)

Comments

• Klaus HergescheimerKlaus Hergescheimer Posts: 332MI6 Agent
    Jayski,

are you by any chance the same Jayski who owns and operates the ESPN-supported NASCAR news site, www.jayski.com? I would assume not, but it's interesting that one of your early posts is on the topic of the DB5. ;)
  • JayskiJayski Munich, GermanyPosts: 82MI6 Agent
    no sorry, but its a shame he got the url before i did. I am actually an automotive designer, my site being www.jbdesign.ca, and i'm a huge car guy/bond fan, and damn i love that car :)
  • Moonraker 5Moonraker 5 Ayrshire, ScotlandPosts: 1,821MI6 Agent
    edited November 2006
    Jayski wrote:
    I watched the movie for a second time and noticed the DB5 5 is left hand drive, kinda disappointing, but then again, at least that car was in the movie :)
    Weird one that... As a former British colony the Bahamas drive on the left. However, I can only assume (never having visited the Bahamas myself) that the Bahamas are lumped in with the "North American" market for manufacturers, which means most if not all cars sold will be left hand drive (Bond's Mondeo and the Range Rover Sport he 'valet parks' are both left hand drive, though are clearly driven on the left).

Given that the DB5 pre-dates Bahamian independence, however, and that as the UK was one of the biggest car producers in the world and dominated the markets of its colonies and dependencies (with right hand drive cars) back then, the steering wheel being on the wrong side is rather inexplicable. (If it's a native Bahamian, or ex-British registered car, that is.)
    unitedkingdom.png
  • Wesson_SmithWesson_Smith Posts: 15MI6 Agent
    Ya know - Im wondering if the sequence has been reverse printed for some reason...

It wont be the first time!

wess
    Ya know - Im wondering if the sequence has been reverse printed for some reason...

It wont be the first time!

wess
    The registration numbers are the right way round though!
    unitedkingdom.png
  • jhermanjherman Posts: 59MI6 Agent
    What got me was thous cars handle like they are on a rail,that crash sence when he tuns to miss her is kinda far fetched.
  • JayskiJayski Munich, GermanyPosts: 82MI6 Agent
    wow ok that last post was just wrong. first of all we are talkin about the 1964 DB5, not the 2007 DBS ( the one that he crashes). And how could you say those cars handle like they are on a rail... have you driven one... or better yet... have you even seen the same movie, becuase your clearly lost.
  • highhopeshighhopes Posts: 1,358MI6 Agent
    The 2007 was left-hand drive, too. The only thing I can figure is that in Montenegro people drive on the right side of the road, and cars purchased there would be LHD. That's probably overthinking, but I was a little disappointed. Bond's "Englishness" is crucial to the character and LHD sort of underlines that.
  • FightingIrishFightingIrish Posts: 31MI6 Agent
    highhopes wrote:
    The 2007 was left-hand drive, too. The only thing I can figure is that in Montenegro people drive on the right side of the road, and cars purchased there would be LHD. That's probably overthinking, but I was a little disappointed. Bond's "Englishness" is crucial to the character and LHD sort of underlines that.

Not sure about Montenegro, but most of Europe (outside the UK) is LHD.

I noticed the '64 Aston in CR was LHD right from the start, and it was probably the most irksome thing in the movie.

Also didn't understand the presence of the Mondeo either. Nobody's heard of or seen this car in the States. It's available everywhere but North America (though it was sold as the Contour for a few years here). I guess it was better than cramming his ass in a Focus, though. And the Mondeo he drives is LHD. Did the rental lot in the Bahamas get that car from France or something?

Nonetheless, I kinda like the looks of the '07 Mondeo (not sure how Bond got it from Avis as soon as July '06, since the car just debuted, but oh well). I think it looks better than the Fusion or the awful looking Five Hundred that we get here in the U.S.
    edited November 2006
    highhopes wrote:
    The United Kingdom, Isle of Man and the Republic of Ireland are the only nations in Europe that drive on the left; everyone else, including the Crown Dependency of Gibraltar, drive on the right.

The DBS carries Serbia & Montengerin registration tags (including their national flag in the centre of the plate, after the 'TT'). Considering that it was filmed during Montenegro gaining it's independence from Serbia, and that registrations in that country wouldn't change so quickly, it's a locally registered car.
    unitedkingdom.png
  • emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,725MI6 Agent
    The DBS carries Serbia & Montengerin registration tags (including their national flag in the centre of the plate, after the 'TT'). Considering that it was filmed during Montenegro gaining it's independence from Serbia, and that registrations in that country wouldn't change so quickly, it's a locally registered car.

Bit odd really- after all; is Bond's cover supposed to from Montenegro? Beech, isn't it? We see him travelling on the train down through Europe when Bond assumes his identity in the script, so why MI6 feel they have to give him a locally registered car isn't really clear; he's not supposed to be a local. And I'm not convinced there's an Aston dealer in Montenegro so the idea of Beech buying it there doesn't make a huge amount of sense either.
  • highhopeshighhopes Posts: 1,358MI6 Agent
    highhopes wrote:
    Bond's "Englishness" is crucial to the character and LHD sort of underlines that.

Of course, I meant to say "right-hand drive underlines that ..."
  • 93JC93JC Posts: 2MI6 Agent
    DB5s were made in both RHD and LHD. Who is to say Dimitrios' DB5 isn't an original LHD model?

It's not entirely implausible that it would be LHD even though the Bahamians drive on the left either. The Carribean automobile market is such that many cars are LHD simply because most of them are shipped from the mainland Americas, where almost every car is LHD.

It's also not unlikely that a rental car such as the Mondeo would be LHD. Check out Avis' Bahamian rental fleet: http://www.avis.com.bs/rentalfleet.html
    Note that it reads "All vehicles are left-hand drive".
  • taitytaity Posts: 702MI6 Agent
    Id have to say it was bought in the US, probably by a collector. Okay, while I havent seen the film yet, I do know of people who collect antique cars - for some reason they all seem to turn up in the US more than any other country.

In terms of the movie, all I'll say is that it was roughly made for an American audience, hence had an Americanised car in it.
  • emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,725MI6 Agent
    highhopes wrote:
    highhopes wrote:
    Bond's "Englishness" is crucial to the character and LHD sort of underlines that.

Of course, I meant to say "right-hand drive underlines that ..."

You'll find it easier to remember if you adopt the system we use: cars either come in right-hand drive or, as I understand they drive in strange foreign lands, wrong-hand drive.
  • PoorMansJBPoorMansJB USAPosts: 1,198MI6 Agent
    I noticed the '64 Aston in CR was LHD right from the start, and it was probably the most irksome thing in the movie.

Given the car's introduction in the story, I found the whole thing irksome. Unless, as evidenced by the LHD business, we're saying that this is simply a DB5 and not the DB5. In effect, the DB5 then becomes something akin to the earlier Bonds' Bentley, with the DBS then becoming a replay of Q Branch again replacing a more beloved mode of transportation ....
  • Bill TannerBill Tanner "Spending the money quickly" iPosts: 261MI6 Agent
    I didn't find the DB5's LHD-ness a particular problem, I'm not quite sure why everyone is getting so worked-up over it. As PMJB says above, it was a DB5, not the DB5.

What bothered me more was its inclusion at all: did the film lack Bondian tone so much that it was felt necessary to add in this sort of reinforcing prop? Ok, it's a nod to the past, but aren't we ignoring the past and rebooting with a clean sheet? After all, 007 has also been issued with the latest in overkill Astons, itself a contemporary nod to Goldfinger the novel and film. To put him in a DB5 as well smacks of serious over-egging.

It will be interesting to see how this all turns out in subsequent films: was the DB5 left in the airport car park, or will it reappear in Bond 22? Will it still be LHD and on Bahamas plates, or has it been down to Q-branch for a quick overhaul, a conversion to RHD and a British 'BMT' numberplate?