Like Bond

cdsdsscdsdss JakartaPosts: 144MI6 Agent
You know, as I read through the posts about "best Bond/worst Bond," who likes Dalton better tha Craig or Moore, etc. It strikes me how odd it is to be comparing and evaluating various performers and their take on the same character. In most film franchises, the individual films are compared. In the case of long-running fare like Trek, one can compare the different series. But can anyone else think of an instance where different interpretations of the same character are compared?

I'm interested to hear your suggestions.

Comments

• HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,882Chief of Staff
    Yes--one of the most prominent examples is Sherlock Holmes. Many people will argue that Basil Rathbone was the definitive Holmes, but others say that Jeremy Brett played the character exactly as Arthur Conan Doyle wrote him. Then, of course, there are those who champion Holmes as played by Arthur Wotner, Christopher Plummer, the list goes on. . .

There have also been comparisons made between the numerous actors who've played Tarzan, and on this very site we've had discussions about who was the best Batman. Nope, nothing new about favoring one actor's portrayal of a character over another's.
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • Klaus HergescheimerKlaus Hergescheimer Posts: 332MI6 Agent
    edited November 2006
    Batman and Superman are probably the two most prominent comparisons as far as pop culture prevalence is concerned. To this day, you still here debates over who is the best Batman. For a long time, the general consensus was that Michael Keaton was the best, but I think a lot of people have taken to Christian Bale since Batman Begins. And of course, the film Batmans are always compared to Adam West in the TV incarnation. While Superman hasn't had as many film incarnations, you still get debates of Reeves vs. the various TV actors.

Personally, my favorite is Val Kilmer, who I think was the epitome of Bruce Wayne and did a good job in action scenes as Batman.