CR Theme tune

I didnt know where to put this post so i thought i'd start a thread...did anyone else notice that the start of Chris Cornell's theme tune 'You Know My Name' is like a modernised version of the start of OHMSS? :v

Well i did anyway! -{

Comments

• FightingIrishFightingIrish Posts: 31MI6 Agent
    edited November 2006
    Didn't notice that, but the movie version of "You Know My Name" is definitely a remix, bringing up the orchestral sounds a bit. It's also shorter.

Chris Cornell's single version emphasizes the guitars a bit more. I guess so that it doesn't freak out his Soundgarden/Audioslave fans.

BTW: The song will be on his upcoming solo album. And he allegedly made the decision to keep it off the official soundtrack release. Too bad, since I'd like to have a version of the movie remix.
  • SeanConnery007SeanConnery007 The Bond Archive - London, EngPosts: 169MI6 Agent
    edited November 2006
    Just checked you're statement 'diVicenzo'
    And you're right, there is a similarity between the opening of 'You Know My Name' and the opening of 'On Her Majesty's Secret Service'. Well spotted.
    Nobody Writes Threads Better.
  • Agent WadeAgent Wade Ann ArborPosts: 321MI6 Agent
    My goodness you're right. The intros are quite similar.
  • JohmssJohmss Posts: 274MI6 Agent
    Some tunes are similar, but not in the same order of course. they sound different tough Cornell's song starts with a deeper electric guittar.

The intro song (thanks to youtube) is different (sadly is not the one that he post in his myspace site (i REALLY like that more orchestral version) and it is absurdly cutted out in the last part (they cut the last "the coldest blood run trough my veins" but has a terrible editing in that part. you can really hear that something is missing. (why don't but like 5 seconds more in the title sequence to make it even?
  • OsatoOsato Aberdeen, ScotlandPosts: 99MI6 Agent
    I posted this in another thread, then noticed this one, so here is my two cents again:

I really enjoyed the song. I know nothing of Chris Cornell's work, but David Arnold's hand is very evident in the tune - he uses the classic "Bondian" melody notes and chords: the opening figure uses the first three notes of the minor scale (la, te and do), the same three notes as Monty Norman's Bond Theme, and many other themes in the series, and the chorus uses the chord sequence minor chord I - major chord VI - major chord IV, the same as Barry's OHMSS theme, and again, this harmonic progression appears in several Bond scores.

These elements help to give the song a definite "Bond" flavour, which has been less evident in the most recent theme songs.
    Green figs, yoghurt, coffee very black.
  • mike77mike77 Posts: 27MI6 Agent
    edited November 2006
    and here a link ;)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjR0y7mGUOE

founded a while back
  • JohmssJohmss Posts: 274MI6 Agent
    Great link Mike77, it is what i said before, the high tune of guittar in YKMN makes hard to tell the dofference or even references with other songs. But, with the soundtrack (and its more orchestral versions makes it easier , like in Blunt Instrument)
  • mike77mike77 Posts: 27MI6 Agent
    indeed it does, I think they were looking for something like ohmss's song