Things I would have done differently...

2»

Comments

• Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,286MI6 Agent
    Welcome to the board allcott007...

CR is not a prequel in the strict sense, not like Star Wars Phantom Menace. Of course, Leiter isn't black in Dr No either.

CR is not really meant to tie in with any of the previous films, except they pilfer bits of the iconography eg the Aston Martin DB5. That's a good example too, as in GF he gets his Aston for the first time, but here he's seen to win it in a card game.

CR is in a separate universe. I agree they may as well have made Leiter a new character for all he has in common with Fleming's character. In fact I can see NSNA as 20 years after CR, with Connery being Craig's Bond older, and the same black Felix! :s
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • darenhatdarenhat The Old PuebloPosts: 2,029Quartermasters
    CR is not really meant to tie in with any of the previous films, except they pilfer bits of the iconography eg the Aston Martin DB5. That's a good example too, as in GF he gets his Aston for the first time, but here he's seen to win it in a card game.

I never thought that winning the Aston Martin from Demetrius was such a big deal, as far GF continuity goes. Bond's personal vehicle in the books was the Bentley...the Bentley made an appearance in FRWL and Bond mentions it in GF:

Bond: "Where's my Bentley?"
    Q: "It's had its day, I'm afraid."

This always confused me as to who actually 'owned' the vehicle. Bond clearly states that it was his Bentley and it seemed a rather incongruous vehicle for an MI6 agent to be kitted with. But Bond was clearly looking for it in Q's lab. In that case, it was perhaps not unusual for Q-branch to outfit personal cars. (I know that this is the case with Bond's SAAB in the Gardner novels.)

Anyway, I say this only to point out that it would be concievable that the DB5 Bond won was the same in GF, just simply the first time it had undergone Boothroyd's modifications.

However, it is entirely believable also that it just happens to be another DB5 Bond won. Now he has two at his disposal. :D Lucky!

At no point in CR do I recall Bond saying. "Wow! An Aston Martin DB5...I always wanted to drive one of those!"
  • alicott007alicott007 Posts: 2MI6 Agent
    cheers for that. The fact that most of the negative things about CR are mostly little things, i think it shows how brilliantly it was made. Even my girlfriend is now a bond fan and she usually only likes romcoms:)