Odd CR qoutes, please help

Can anyone help me with the following quotes and their suggestive or present meanings. These are really quite odd for me, and i do not understand them. Perhaps someone elses view would help. Much appreciated!

Felix Leiter: Listen, I'm bleeding chips. I'm not going to last much longer. You have a better chance. I'll stake you. I'm saying I'll give you the money to keep going. Just one thing- you pull it off, the CIA brings him in.
James Bond: And what about the winnings?
Felix Leiter: Does it look like we need the money?

Mathis: It's amazing what you can do with Photoshop these days.

Steven Obanno: Do you believe in God, Mr. Le Chiffre?
Le Chiffre: No. I believe in a reasonable rate of return.

Comments

• JCSuperstarJCSuperstar Posts: 42MI6 Agent
    Totally off topic, and perhaps needed for another thread, but does anyone know the maker of his peak lapelled dinner jacket. I love that look, and am in the process of looking, his maker would be again, very mcuh appreciated, because I am tired of wearing my notch. Thank you.
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,285MI6 Agent
    JCSuperstar, the first quote I thought was self-explanatory. Felix has been at the card game but is losing (bleeding chips) and is about to throw in his hand. He is about to give the cash he's got to Bond instead, whom he recognises is a better player.

Photoshop: the computer program where you can alter images so a photo can be used to frame someone and set them up. I think Matthis, always a slimy customer in my book, boasts about this when he's framing a rival or something...

Didn't get the last quote, dunno.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    I meant when he said, what about the winnings? and Leiter said, "Deos it look like we need the money?" Any other answers.
    And also, what crime was he using Photoshop to set him up in> I know what Photoshop is, but what crime was he using it in?
  • s96024s96024 Posts: 1,519MI6 Agent
    The CIA is very rich. Does not need the money? The winnings (when/if bond wins)
    edited December 2006
    When does mathis say that quote.

The final quote is when he does something with the shares of the plane builders and the bloke says do you believe in god because he thinks there is no way it is a good investment because he doesn't know he is going to try and blow up the plane. "No, I believe in a reasonable rate of return" is because if he had blown up the plane he would have made money out of it.

Hope that makes sense.
  • highhopeshighhopes Posts: 1,358MI6 Agent
    edited December 2006
    And also, what crime was he using Photoshop to set him up in> I know what Photoshop is, but what crime was he using it in?

It doesn't really matter. The point is that Mathis used Photoshop to show the chief doing something he shouldn't be doing. He's sort of saying "I can't tell you how I managed it, but Photoshop was a big help." wink, wink.

The other poster are correct about Leiter and the CIA, or the US, being able to afford to stake Bond.

As for the third, I think it's pretty clear. I imagine that if LeChiffre did say he believed in God, the rebel leader would have said something to the effect that LeChiffre had better pray that nothing happens to the money. LeChiffre's answer is to say, in effect, that the only thing he cares about is money -- and by implication that he will take very good care of the rebels'.
    Ok yep I was associating that quote with a totally different part. :s
  • GrishenkoGrishenko Posts: 45MI6 Agent
    I think the interesting thing about the Photoshop quote is that he's not just showing the chief doing something illegal (as in, any random thing).

The intuitive thing to try first is to pay off the chief. However, Mathis recognizes that LeChiffre would easily outbid him.

Therefore, he uses Photoshop to make it look like Mathis is paying off the chief, and gives it to the other higher-ups (or let's the other higher-ups find it, more likely).

That's the irony: when Mathis couldn't pay him off, he made it look like he was paying him off to get him in trouble. Clever...
  • Mr MartiniMr Martini That nice house in the sky.Posts: 2,699MI6 Agent

I thought this was another cheap shot at America. Kind of like in GE, after the EMP blast at the Servanya(sp?). M says something like "Unlike the Americans, we don't get our news from CNN." Or something like that.
    Some people would complain even if you hang them with a new rope
    Mr Martini wrote:

I thought this was another cheap shot at America. Kind of like in GE, after the EMP blast at the Servanya(sp?). M says something like "Unlike the Americans, we don't get our news from CNN." Or something like that.

Don't know how that can be conceived as a cheap shot against the Americans. Bond just wants to know if he can keep the "money". Or were you thinking he was digging at the CIA (America) for being rich?
  • A7ceA7ce Birmingham, EnglandPosts: 655MI6 Agent
    When Bond asked 'What about the winnings?',
    I think it meant would it be the CIA's Money if he won the 'extra' as it was based on their original stake, or would the extra go to British Intelligence and CIA keep the original stake?

(We are talking about winnings not the original stake - the original stake would go back to the original issuing department)
  • A7ceA7ce Birmingham, EnglandPosts: 655MI6 Agent
    highhopes wrote:
    As for the third, I think it's pretty clear. I imagine that if LeChiffre did say he believed in God, the rebel leader would have said something to the effect that LeChiffre had better pray that nothing happens to the money. LeChiffre's answer is to say, in effect, that the only thing he cares about is money -- and by implication that he will take very good care of the rebels'.

Agree with Double H on this. I actually thought this was a good line from LC and laughed when I heard it. It shows how focused he is and doesn't care about anything else
  • GrishenkoGrishenko Posts: 45MI6 Agent
    The reason LeChiffre's line is so good is because of the delivery. There is no delay in his reply, showing this man truly has not even considered believing in God in at least some time. He then adds the reasonable return bit to show what really drives him, and how much of a heartless, calculating fiend he really is...
  • jimbondjimbond Posts: 8MI6 Agent
    I don't know if this is what you were getting at for the third quote, JCSuperstar, and I haven't seen anyone else address it yet, so here goes (and if this is totally off base, I apologize):

A rate of return is the ratio of money earned on an investment to the money actually invested -- an interest rate, for example. A "reasonable rate of return" would be a moderate amount of earnings on an investment.

Hope this helps!
  • VW2006VW2006 Posts: 47MI6 Agent
    jimbond wrote:
    I don't know if this is what you were getting at for the third quote, JCSuperstar, and I haven't seen anyone else address it yet, so here goes (and if this is totally off base, I apologize):

A rate of return is the ratio of money earned on an investment to the money actually invested -- an interest rate, for example. A "reasonable rate of return" would be a moderate amount of earnings on an investment.

Hope this helps!

And remember, Le Chiffre is a banker! :o
  • jimbondjimbond Posts: 8MI6 Agent
    Le Chiffre's a banker.
    Vesper's an accountant.
    Looks like Bond's next adversary is going to be an actuary! ;)

"Do you expect me to talk?"
    "No, Mr. Bond, based on my assumptions for your life expectancy, claim frequency, and the present value of MI6's accumulated pension benefit obligation, at an 85% confidence level, I expect you to die!"