James Bond... a singer?

I watched Dr. No few days ago (again after a long time)... and I saw sometnihg interesting... in that island when James Bond saw Honey comming from the see and she sang... he also sang "Under the Mango Tree...".

I think this is the first and the last time that James Bond sing. Agree? Opinions?

Comments

• s96024s96024 Posts: 1,519MI6 Agent
    I can't think of any other time. May be wrong though.
  • Mark HazardMark Hazard West Midlands, UKPosts: 495MI6 Agent
    May be the only time 007 has sung, but Sean has sung on a couple of other occasions. in both Darby O'Gill & The Little People and The Man Who Would Be King. I was disappointed when he decided to do a Lee Marvin and "talk" his track on George Martin's compilation of Beatles covers - was it In My Life (?) (can't remember for certain).
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,391Chief of Staff
    I was disappointed when he decided to do a Lee Marvin and "talk" his track on George Martin's compilation of Beatles covers - was it In My Life (?) (can't remember for certain).

Yup, "In My Life" it was. "There are plashesh I'll remember..."

John Gardner has 007 sing to himself in his car in Role Of Honour.
  • Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    edited December 2006
    J-B-007 wrote:
    I watched Dr. No few days ago (again after a long time)... and I saw sometnihg interesting... in that island when James Bond saw Honey comming from the see and she sang... he also sang "Under the Mango Tree...".

I think this is the first and the last time that James Bond sing. Agree? Opinions?
    I love that moment. It could never happen again, but I thought it was a really sweet moment, which at the same time demonstrated Bond's numerous skills in the art of romance, that suited DN perfectly. :007)
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,992Quartermasters
    I remember seeing DN for the first time---as a mere lad---and being startled by Connery singing to Honey on the beach. Even then, it struck me as jarringly 'un-Bondlike'...though I've no problem with it, I'm glad it didn't become a part of the Precious Classic Formula :o

It's difficult to imagine 007 singing in any future adventure...I think even a '00' has his limits :D
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • John DrakeJohn Drake On assignmentPosts: 2,564MI6 Agent
    , I'm glad it didn't become a part of the Precious Classic Formula

Too right. Can you imagine Sir Roger and Topol singing and dancing their way through FYEO? Yikes.
    edited December 2006
    John Drake wrote:
    Can you imagine Sir Roger and Topol singing and dancing their way through FYEO? Yikes.

Topol at least could sing and dance. I believe Lloyd Webber felt differently about Sir Roger...
  • Moore Not LessMoore Not Less Posts: 1,095MI6 Agent
    Barbel wrote:
    Topol at least could sing and dance. I believe Lloyd Webber felt differently about Sir Roger...

I thought Roger withdrew from Aspects of Love because he lost his nerve. Regardless, he has sung on TV on at least two occasions that I am aware of. He appeared on The Muppet Show and sang 'Talk To The Animals'. On the Dame Edna Xmas Experience he sang 'You've Either Got Or You Haven't Got Style' with Dennis Healy and Sir Les Patterson.

I thought Roger withdrew from Aspects of Love because he lost his nerve. Regardless, he has sung on TV on at least two occasions that I am aware of. He appeared on The Muppet Show and sang 'Talk To The Animals'. On the Dame Edna Xmas Experience he sang 'You've Either Got Or You Haven't Got Style' with Dennis Healy and Sir Les Patterson.

I saw the first, but not the second. It has to be said that "Talk To the Animals" was written (by Leslie Bricusse, a man with Bond history) specifically for the limited vocal talents of Rex Harrison. The second song (it's simply called "Style", btw, by Sammy Cahn & Jimmy van Heusen) I didn't hear that trio attempt- but I think I would prefer the original (Frank Sinatra, Bing Crosby and Dean Martin).
    Barbel wrote:
    The second song (it's simply called "Style", btw, by Sammy Cahn & Jimmy van Heusen) I didn't hear that trio attempt- but I think I would prefer the original (Frank Sinatra, Bing Crosby and Dean Martin).

If you had heard "that trio attempt" you may have had to think quite hard before choosing which of the two trio's you preferred. :D
  • Sir Hillary BraySir Hillary Bray College of ArmsPosts: 2,174MI6 Agent
    J-B-007 wrote:
    The only other time I can recall anything close to Bond singing is also in DN, when he hums a tune and mock-dances with Moneypenny, just before she says, "You never take me to dinner looking like this."

Then there's the Rule Britannia whistle in TLD.

Other than those times, music never emanates from the man.
    Hilly...you old devil!
    edited December 2006
    I remember seeing DN for the first time---as a mere lad---and being startled by Connery singing to Honey on the beach. Even then, it struck me as jarringly 'un-Bondlike'...though I've no problem with it, I'm glad it didn't become a part of the Precious Classic Formula :o

It's difficult to imagine 007 singing in any future adventure...I think even a '00' has his limits :D
    I'm also glad that it didn't become part of the formula but one of the reasons I love it is that it is so unexpected. It's coming from a guy who has killed a man in cold blood. :o When I recently rewatched DN, I had completely forgotten that Bond had done it, and let me say that it was a pleasant suprise. Say what you want about Craig, but until he sings to a woman, he can't hold a light to Connery. :D
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
    edited December 2006

After some research I have discovered that Roger appeared on the Burt Bacharach special in 1972 and sang 'Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head' with Bacharach himself.
  • JohmssJohmss Posts: 274MI6 Agent
    Well, isn't Bond per se, but here you go:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjOhe-Wk0CM

I love this video, is so funny yet so.... funny.

I think the singing moment is a more Dr. No moment to use in the future as in a homage (not singing, rather the song itself) but is more like a fan reference.
    Fish1941 wrote:
    HUH?

If you want to hear Daniel Craig sing that badly, watch MUNICH. You can hear him sing "Papa Was a Rolling Stone". Not bad.
    I was kidding. ;) That's why I had a :D at the end of my comment. :p
  • Mark HazardMark Hazard West Midlands, UKPosts: 495MI6 Agent
    Haven't played it in ages (do I really want to? NO!!) but Sir Rog released a single in 1965 called "Where Does Love Go" b/w "Tomorrow After Tomorrow" (CBS 202014 for those interested).

I don't think he attempts to sing on them, but he also released some EPs of childrens stories - the one I have is Aladin.
  • PUCCINIPUCCINI Posts: 70MI6 Agent
    A one truly great moment from the series, underneath the mango tree is very catchy...
  • AlexAlex The Eastern SeaboardPosts: 2,694MI6 Agent
    PUCCINI wrote:
    A one truly great moment from the series, underneath the mango tree is very catchy...
    Agreed, I thought it was charming and a pleasant way to indroduce himself.
    Fish1941 wrote:
    If you want to hear Daniel Craig sing that badly, watch MUNICH. You can hear him sing "Papa Was a Rolling Stone". Not bad.

If you wan't to hear Daniel Craig sing that badly then click on the link below. You will get a 30 second sample of DC singing There's A Goldmine In The Sky. Track Number 16

It's featured on the Infamous soundtrack. DC is apparently seen performing the song in the film.

http://www.milanrecords.com/infamous/