Johnny Mathis title song for Moonraker exist?

I read a couple places (including the sometimes unreliable imdb) that Frank Sinatra and Johnny Mathis were approached to sing the title song to Moonraker. The song was "Think of Me" with lyrics by Paul Williams. Frank Sinatra reportedly turned it down, but a couple of sources state that Johnny Mathis did record the song, but it just didn't cut it.

Is this song available anywhere? I'd like to hear it.

Comments

• The CatThe Cat Where Blofeld is!Posts: 711MI6 Agent
    No, it's not available.
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,344Chief of Staff
    Geoff Leonard (who is a very reliable source) states in the book John Barry A Life In Music, co-written with Pete Walker and Gareth Bramley, that the song was recorded. As far as I know, it's not been officially released anywhere.
  • justvisitingjustvisiting Posts: 61MI6 Agent
    Regarding the 40th anniversary extended release soundtracks, filmgoermonthy.com states that "No extra masters were available for Dr. No, From Russia With Love, or Moonraker (recorded in France)."

What does this mean in regard to Moonraker?
    It means no more music from the score. Which is a major overstatement, but on the forums, we have to stick to this story.
  • justvisitingjustvisiting Posts: 61MI6 Agent
    So officially, it is lost, but unofficially, it may reappear?
    edited December 2006

Don't make me answer quesitons like this on public forums. Thanks. :)
  • Alan_moreAlan_more UKPosts: 73MI6 Agent

Neither the Moonraker tapes nor the Mathis song are lost. They are currently unreleased.
    Just wait for the next bunch of expanded soundtracks.
  • taitytaity Posts: 702MI6 Agent
    I remember hearing that Shirley Bassey was a very last minute replacement, but im not sure how credible some of the rumours are.

Apperently when BLue Eyes was to perform it, it had another title - something like think of me.
    taity wrote:
    Apperently when BLue Eyes was to perform it, it had another title - something like think of me.

This issue is still under investigation. Some things just don't match up with that story...
    The Cat wrote:
    taity wrote:

This issue is still under investigation. Some things just don't match up with that story...

In Will Friedwald's book on Sinatra, a very similar story is related but with some clashing details (eg, Ella Fitzgerald instead of Johnny Mathis). This might be a totally different story or not.
  • Alan_moreAlan_more UKPosts: 73MI6 Agent
    Barbel wrote:
    In Will Friedwald's book on Sinatra, a very similar story is related but with some clashing details (eg, Ella Fitzgerald instead of Johnny Mathis). This might be a totally different story or not.

Interesting. Does the book talk about Sinatra turning down Broccoli's request to perform YOLT, saying he would never sing a Bond song, thus handling it over to Nancy?
    Just how many times blue eyes had to reject the Broccolis to get the point? :D I think the story in the Friedwald book might be linked with OLT instaed, because that's when Saltzman insisted on having a diva - but that was Aretha Franklin! :p
    Well, the story's vague as to timing (it seems to be happening around 1989, ie LTK time!), the producer's unnamed, and so's the film concerned.
  • chrisno1chrisno1 LondonPosts: 3,258MI6 Agent
    Sorry, guys, old topic again! I read that there was a different theme (didnt know the name at the time! - thanks for telling me of Think Of Me) but that Cubby B really wanted the title of the movie to be the title of the song (this was why Kiss Kiss was rejected for Thunderball) Johnny mathis was slated to sing it, but having already sung "TOM" he didnt or wasn't able to return to the studio and with recording dates short, Shirley Bassey was called in. I like Bassey's vocals on this and I think the song is excellent, but i do wonder what Johnny Mathis would have made of it; he was a huge star in the late '70s and it would have made a good addition to his portfolio.
  • emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,713MI6 Agent
    So was Think Of Me written by Barry?

Moonraker's probably my favourite Bond score- a crying shame there's no more available of the score; I'd love some more of it to turn up on disc.
    Also, I wish it was a little bit better sound quality. Some really lovely pieces in there, though.
    emtiem wrote:
    So was Think Of Me written by Barry?

Yes, it was composed by JB: here's a quote from John Barry A Life In Music by Geoff Leonard, Pete Walker and Gareth Bramley-

"Frank Sinatra, it is rumoured, was originally approached to sing the theme song, then known as 'Think Of Me', with lyrics by Paul Williams, but turned it down. It was then recorded by Johnny Mathis, but eventually dropped from the film."

The final song, with lyrics by Hal David, is aka "Where Are You" (the first line of the song, which repeats later) and it's on the Themependium box under that title with "Moonraker" in brackets.
    emtiem wrote:
    Moonraker's probably my favourite Bond score- a crying shame there's no more available of the score; I'd love some more of it to turn up on disc.

Two tracks not on the OST album are available in re-recorded form, these being "Freefall" (from the PTS) and "Arrival At Chateau Drax".
  • emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,713MI6 Agent
    Thank you. Yes, I've got that album and they are a fun couple of tracks. Top score.

So the general consensus is that Think Of Me was recorded by Mathis? I'd heard of this vaguely before but I thought it hadn't happened- fascinating. Do we know if there was much time between this and the score being written? i.e. the finished score contains plenty of the final Moonraker song- presumably there was time to write that into the incidental music; unless Think of Me and Moonraker share a melody perhaps?