The Man wih the Golden Gun

2»

Comments

• LazenbyLazenby The upper reaches of the AmazoPosts: 606MI6 Agent
    Audioquest wrote:
    - Why is Sherrif Pepper shopping for a car in Thailand?

That, my friend, is the million dollar question.

(Agreed on all points.)
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    edited April 2007
    I couldn't have said it better, Audioquest. I enjoy TMWTGG for the same reasons, especially Britt Ekland must have been incredible by 1974s standards and even today. I admit, her role was one of the dumbest 007 girls in the entire series, only Rosie Carver could top this!
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
  • AxelFoleyAxelFoley Posts: 14MI6 Agent
    I watched this just now and I have to admit that I really liked the film, though not as good as LALD. The biggest problems I had was, like most of you, the silliness in some parts of the movies. Other than that it didn't bother me much. Moore felt more comfortable in the role IMO and his performance was great. And of course Christopher Lee was a great villain, and the duel in th end is the highlight of the movie, along with the 2 Roger Moore fights in the Karate-school :007)
  • JennyFlexFanJennyFlexFan Posts: 1,497MI6 Agent
    Steed wrote:
    Yeah, that 'slide whistle' was awful, but that wasn't the only flaw of the scene- having Sheriff Pepper 'whooping and hollering', so to speak, was just as embarassing, imho. In a documentary on the Bond themes, John Barry speaks of his acute embarassment about the main theme- I seem to recall he said it's the worst he'd ever been involved in, but he definitely said it was 'plain bad'. I definitely agree with that- the lyrics are cringeworthy, imho.:s

I'd like to see some John Barry interviews, are there any with him on the DVDs?
  • John DrakeJohn Drake On assignmentPosts: 2,564MI6 Agent
    I think there's much to enjoy in TMWTGG. I like the Far East setting and the borrowing from the 70's kung fu genre. Christopher Lee is one of the very best villains. Maud Adams one of the most beautiful Bond girls. Britt Ekland is not too shabby either, although her character is a bit annoying. And Moore is a leaner, tougher Bond than he would be in his later films.
  • taitytaity Posts: 702MI6 Agent

In a way. They interviewed him for the 2001 releases, and theyre all still in there (the inside documentries) but nothing besides that.
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,385Chief of Staff

Well, there's a Bond music documentary on one of the DVDs :D which strongly features JB; you might be familiar with that one...;)
  • ATPrescottATPrescott Posts: 39MI6 Agent
    Audioquest wrote:
    - Why is Sherrif Pepper shopping for a car in Thailand?

I thought it was rental.
    I watched this just the other day, thinking I was going to hate it. I actually quite enjoyed it-- a lot more than I did my recent viewing of LALD. The music, the villain, the far-eastern feel...are all wonderful. Where this film loses points with me is with its leading man. They seemed to be trying a little to turn Moore into Connery with this one, however Moore (to me) is utterly unconvincing as a man's man tough guy. I am not a Moore hater per se, but I enjoy him more when he's playing to his own strengths, as in TSWLM, MR and OP. Now, if George Lazenby had been Bond in this movie my suspicion is that it would have been one of the greatest Bond films ever (the far-eastern setting and Lazenby's martial arts prowess would have meshed very well). Oh well, I suppose we'll never know.
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,992Quartermasters
    With you 100%, Laz {[] This could have been George at the apex of of his six-picture run...

B-)
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
    edited June 2007
    With you 100%, Laz {[] This could have been George at the apex of of his six-picture run...

B-)

Cheers! {[] I'm glad I'm not the only one on this. OHMSS, DAF (Peter Hunt directed of course) and TMWTGG (possibly LALD as well) with Lazenby would have been Bond films, in terms of hard-edged coolness, on par with the masterpieces of the 60s. Lazenby was a martial arts instructor with the Australian special forces for crying out loud, as well as a model-- face it everyone the man was Bond, it's just too bad nobody realized it in time.
  • bigzilchobigzilcho Toronto, ONPosts: 245MI6 Agent
    Lazenby...this is not the first time you have speculated on the possibilities of a Lazenby/Hunt run in the series.

And, once again, you are 100% right!

I, for one, consider this "what-if" the greatest heartbreak of the series.

George in TMWTGG? With Hunt directing? An action-film for the ages might have been made. Alas.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the film (all Bond movies are enjoyable.Period.) but, no question, it is not a worthy contender.

Roger (surprisingly sharp) and Christopher Lee (terrific, as usual) make it memorable and there are great scenes scattered throughout, but...

Guy Hamilton, why, oh why, would you make a movie about Bond versus the world's greatest assassin and NOT commit to making the greatest duel in the series ?!?

Still, flaws aside, TMWTGG needs its defenders. Its nowhere near as bad as its detractors claims it is.

Besides, it has Roger's single best fight ever when he tackles the 3 thugs in the dressing room. Take a close look at this fight and realize that Roger was capable of serious mayhem.

"Jealous husbands. Outraged chefs. Humiliated tailors. The list is endless."
  • Ice Station 0Ice Station 0 Posts: 44MI6 Agent
    Add me to being a convert to this film. I picked up the DVD (not having seen it in many years) and I was pleasantly surprised how much I enjoyed it. There are many great scenes here along with great direction. The first half is very strong, but the second half falls apart at times. I really could have gone without the car chase scene. Overall, the locations, and the acting by Moore (he scored some points with me) and Lee make this film one of the better Moore films, and better than YOLT IMO. Knick Knack is a great henchman and Maude Adams did a great job. I wish she was not killed off so quickly. If you haven't seen this movie lately, do yourself a favor and take a look.
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    I really could have gone without the car chase scene.

The more I am learning how difficult the spiral jump has been, I enjoy the scene, I have watched the jump without the silly noise and it appears much more impressive, even by todays standards.

Additionally, I think, the beautiful locations are THE pro for watching the movie plus Britt Ekland must have been one of the most desirable women of these days. I admit, her role has not been really smart, again, I turn the noise off...
    ;)
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!