Bond 77 on a Friday night...

Moonraker 5Moonraker 5 Ayrshire, ScotlandPosts: 1,821MI6 Agent
edited December 2006 in James Bond Music
I'm curious as to whether anyone has heard any Bond tracks - and I don't mean theme tunes - used in DJ set pieces or played in packed pubs, clubs and bars.

Reason being was that last night, a Friday night, in a packed bar in Glasgow's west end (Brel, for the locals), I was floored when during the jazzy, cool DJ set I heard the opening strums of Bond 77.

Although I probably didn't need convinced anyway, this track can really hold it's own in such an environment, and I was particularly surprised at the reaction too. OHMSS was on straight after, though didn't seem to fit in with the chilled out vibes that had preceded.

As a sidenote, it actually came on at a very appropriate moment in quite a surreal evening. I was actually chatting to the deputy leader of the Scottish National Party, Nicola Sturgeon (it's a long story, but I'm still at the political opposite :D ), about Sean Connery, who she knows through his campaign work for the SNP, when both these tunes came on. How ironic neither were Connery tracks. ;)
unitedkingdom.png

Comments

• BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,368Chief of Staff
    Nicola Sturgeon? You move in higher circles than I do, M5. I don't suppose Smart Alec dropped in for a quick one ;)?

I haven't been to Brel, but I've heard of it- very busy, I'm told- and I've not heard a DJ play Bond stuff other than the themes, although I have heard some secondary music played as piped music from CDs or tapes.
  • AGENT57AGENT57 Posts: 12MI6 Agent
    Bond 77 is one of my favourite tracks.

Are you sure you heard this and not the Bee Gees "You Should Be Dancing" which Marvin Hamlisch admits copying ?

If I were a DJ I would do a great mix of the two tracks together.
  • Moonraker 5Moonraker 5 Ayrshire, ScotlandPosts: 1,821MI6 Agent
    AGENT57 wrote:
    Are you sure you heard this and not the Bee Gees "You Should Be Dancing" which Marvin Hamlisch admits copying ?
    I'm quite certain ;)
    unitedkingdom.png
  • emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,723MI6 Agent
    AGENT57 wrote:
    Bond 77 is one of my favourite tracks.

If I were a DJ I would do a great mix of the two tracks together.

Are you not thinking of 'A Fifth of Beethoven' from the Saturday Night Soundtrack? I would imagine if there's anything Marvin was ripping off, it'd be that!
  • delon64delon64 RiyadhPosts: 176MI6 Agent
    whilst staying in a dreadful hotel...i once watched a very good tango style dance act by a local couple in siberia...to the cuba music from die another day...odd but true