The Spy Who Loved Me

My journey through the Moore bond films continues. Anytime I am watching the series in order I always look forward to TSWLM, as it is truly one of the high points of the entire series.

This is my second favorite bond film, and I enjoy almost everything about it. It features the greatest bond gadget ever, the Lotus. The helicopter chase followed by the car jumping off the dock into the water is bond at its best. Barbara Bach is simply stunning, and jaws is one of the all time great villians in this film (ruined for the most part in moonraker, unfortunately).

It isn't perfect. The cheesy show at the pyramids really stands out 25 years later, not in a good way. Some moments are a bit too predicable, like Max Calba being offed by the phone call. But these are minor points in a stellar effort. The interplay of one-upmanship between Bond and XXX are entertaining, and the PTS is IMHO the very best in the series. The ski jump off the cliff is simply breathtaking, and the union jack parachute a nice comic relief at the end.

All told this is one of the very strongest of all the bond films. A treat to watch.

Joel

Comments

• SteedSteed Posts: 134MI6 Agent
    Upon watching this again, I realised this really is the series at some kind of peak. For me, it's on par with Goldfinger, only OHMSS and From Russia With Love are better overall, imho.

It's easily the only Bond film Roger Moore did (though he's my 2nd fave Bond) I find hard to fault in some way. Definitely the best of the 70s with no contest, for me at any rate. There's a number of moments in this that show the series at its best- one of the best Bond girls, some of the best action sequences, a superb, on the money performance by Roger Moore, controlled humour and lots of genuine suspense. And the score is one of the few non John Barry ones that really works for me.
  • Moore Not LessMoore Not Less Posts: 1,095MI6 Agent
    If any film can lay claim to having "saved the series" then TSWLM is the one. After the disappointing box office of TMWTGG and the break up of the Broccoli/Saltzman partnership it was clear that the franchise was teetering on the brink. The failure of TSWLM, if it didn't kill the series stone dead would surely have put it on ice for some considerable time.

It's to Broccoli's eternal credit and everyone involved in the making of TSWLM that they all rose to the occasion majestically. Other films may have had better villain's or better Bond girls etc, but none of them combined all the elements aswell as TSWLM. And that's why it's top of the pile as far as I am concerned.
  • baccaretbaccaret Posts: 61MI6 Agent
    tswlm is the best moore film hands down,I cant even think what would be second probably fyeo. though there is no comparison tswlm is moor's masterpiece, I just wish he had another,{[]{[]
  • Jedi MasterJedi Master UKPosts: 1,093MI6 Agent
    Ah, it's nice to see people sharing an opinion I've held for years, I just love that film! Something (one of the most important things for me) that hasn't been mentioned yet is the theme tune, oh what perfection! I've been working on learning to play it on the piano, but I don't think I shall ever be able to do it justice!

Ah I just love the film from start to finish (especially the finish part "just keeping the British end up")!
    Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice and everyone dies.
  • TonyDPTonyDP Inside the MonolithPosts: 4,282MI6 Agent
    Add my name to the list of people who think this is one of the high points of Bond on film. I recently watched it again after buying the latest set of DVDs. Stromberg could have been a stronger villain and had more to do, but that's a minor quibble. For me, TSWLM perfectly epitomizes what I look for in a cinematic Bond adventure: a fun movie featuring a world threatening plot, exotic locations, amazing gadgets, gorgeous women, spectacular stunts, far out villains, and a Bond who is both tough yet humorous and always in control of the situation. TSWLM hits the mark on all counts and I never tire of watching it.
  • bondautohunterbondautohunter Posts: 78MI6 Agent
    Yes i would agree that Spy Who Loved Me is a great film but i still prefer Living Daylights it has its moments for me anyway! Did you guys know that The Spy Who Loved Me is Sir Roger's Favourite Bond film. The cast is superb and Curt Jurgens is SENSATIONAL as Stromberg, Caroline Munro, Micheal Billington (nearly a Bond)Richard Keil as Jaws, Shane Rimmer, Barbara Bach and the usual Bond Intelligence cast Lee, Maxwell, Brown, Gotell and not forgetting Roger's witt! need i say more. This even might be my favourite after all! I LOVE ALL Bonds as they are always action packed 2hrs or so of entertainment! Three Cheers for Bond what a guy
    {[] {[] {[] :007)
  • bluemanblueman PDXPosts: 1,667MI6 Agent
    Yep, a highpoint in the series. But it's the knowing definition of formula Bond (and in a nudge-wink way) that makes it so...child-like. It's like a Bond frosting, but with no cake underneath just more frosting. Style of the times. Prefer the (slightly) less outlandish and OTT but still exciting LALD, by a hair. ;)
  • Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    edited December 2006
    blueman wrote:
    Yep, a highpoint in the series. But it's the knowing definition of formula Bond (and in a nudge-wink way) that makes it so...child-like. It's like a Bond frosting, but with no cake underneath just more frosting. Style of the times. Prefer the (slightly) less outlandish and OTT but still exciting LALD, by a hair. ;)
    I don't agree that it's child-like at all. In fact, I would argue that it is extremely adult. Yes, it has a steel-toothed villain and a car which goes underwater, but it also has a Bond who is arguably among the most ruthless (and just as ruthless IMO as in CR :v); it explores the idea that Bond killed someone close to the main female character and it has plenty of sex and violence. IMO TSWLM may appear to be child-like due to some of its elements, but I don't think that they make it so. That is, I don't think a steel-toothed villain and a car that can go into water is any more child-like than a villain with a poison-tipped shoe or a villain who cries blood and needs to win a poker game in order to survive. It comes down ultimately to the screenplay, and IMO TSWLM was among the best-written Bond films ever made.

Plus, the fact that TSWLM is the absolute definition of formula Bond is IMO completely irrelevant and not a bad thing at all, since arguably most of the best Bond films (including TSWLM) may be described as 'formula Bonds.'

TSWLM: child-like? Absolutely not. :o The best Bond film since the 60's Connery films? Absolutely. :D
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
  • SteedSteed Posts: 134MI6 Agent
    For me, it was easily the best since OHMSS. DAF is fun but nobody's going to say that was one of the best of the series. LALD is better yet has its flaws and TMWTTGG is just pretty bad in almost every respect. TSWLM though is hard to beat.
    Steed wrote:
    For me, it was easily the best since OHMSS. DAF is fun but nobody's going to say that was one of the best of the series. LALD is better yet has its flaws and TMWTTGG is just pretty bad in almost every respect. TSWLM though is hard to beat.
    I agree. However I actually consider TSWLM to be superior to OHMSS. ;)
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
    Fish1941 wrote:
    I don't. And I like TSWLM a lot.
    Don't get me wrong. I love OHMSS. It's seventh on my list. I just think TSWLM is a superior film. ;)
  • Double 0 ZeroDouble 0 Zero Posts: 30MI6 Agent
    I just watched TSWLM last weekend for the first time in several years. I had seen it way back when it was the newest Bond film in the cinemas and loved it then. Even though I've seen TSWLM many times since 1977 I still figured it was due for a reassesment.

Having now seen FYEO and TSWLM within a week of each other on DVD I now rate them a virtual tie for best Roger Moore entry. FYEO is less formulaic than TSWLM but on the other hand the earlier film has a faster pace.

Stromberg's scheme may be recycled from YOLT but his motivation for it makes more sense than Blofeld's. Barbara Bach is one of the best Bond girls in the entire series. There is humor but it is relatively understated for the Moore period.

Jaws is a fun henchman but some of his menace is limited by the running gag of his constantly escaping death and goofy bits like dropping a stone block on his own foot. Jaws isn't the clown that Moonraker would turn him into but he is no Red Grant or Oddjob, who were played entirely straight.

I didn't like the overbearing disco/synthesizer music score but I do like Carly Simon's title song. Between the two TSWLM has some of the best and worst examples of '70s music.

I don't have a whole lot to nitpick about with this one. I was glad to see it again.
  • PoorMansJBPoorMansJB USAPosts: 1,198MI6 Agent
    edited December 2006
    When asked what my favorite 007 film is, I invariably have to break them down by Bond (that is, Connery, Moore, etc.) and/or era ('60s '70s, etc.). On that basis, TSWLM is, hands down, the best of both Moore and the '70s.

With few lapses in logic (e.g., the eloborate business of blowing-up Beckman and Markovitz; the machine guns on Naomi's copter; Moore's yellow ski suit), the film is near bullet-proof: I hear Wood's back story in my head every time I see Jaws thus have always found him more menacing than he might seem to others. Given the problems they had maneuvering the Liparus model, I'm sure the whole submarine pen scheme is no more possible than hiding a space station, but I'm far more willing to believe it. And while Moore is a wee bit too antispectic (undercuting the violence), actions like his use of Felicia as a shield--taken at face value--are the definition of ruthless. I only ever really find myself pulled-out of the film by the lousy rear-projection work of the Wayne once they escape the "tanker" (though--and I realize this is beloved by many--the Uniion Jack parachute also makes me cringe).

The one thing that does bother me about TSWLM--though it annoys me about alot of movies--is what I'll call "throw-away nonexistant technology." While it proves to be a McGuffin, the submarine tracking device bugs me because there's no such thing (and, if there were, could serve pretty much as a storyline unto itself ... which is what happens, to an extent, in FYEO) and fairly quickly dismissed (no further mention once Anya asks if it could be aboard Atlanis) despite half a film spent looking for it. (The "Intruder" technology of YOLT or radar jamming system from MR fall into this same category; funny how all three films--which are, after all, the same story over and over--rely on this same element).
    Jaws is a fun henchman but some of his menace is limited by the running gag of his constantly escaping death and goofy bits like dropping a stone block on his own foot. Jaws isn't the clown that Moonraker would turn him into but he is no Red Grant or Oddjob, who were played entirely straight.

The humour works with Jaws in TSWLM. For me, it does not limit his menace. The humour is basically confined to his apparent indestructability. Such as when the car he is travelling in falls on to the house. Jaws emerges through the door then dusts himself down and gives the shocked owner a cursary glance as he walks past him.

What a shame such a great character was virtually ruined in MR.
    PoorMansJB wrote:
    And while Moore is a wee bit too antispectic (undercuting the violence), actions like his use of Felicia as a shield--taken at face value--are the definition of ruthless.

I am not so certain about Bond using Felicca as a shield. It could just be that she unwittingly sacrifices herself to save his life. She is obviously there in the apartment as part of the plan to lure Bond into a trap. When she see's Sandor's gun it appears she has a change of heart and tries to push Bond away and takes the bullet that was mean't for him.
  • Double 0 ZeroDouble 0 Zero Posts: 30MI6 Agent

The humour works with Jaws in TSWLM. For me, it does not limit his menace. The humour is basically confined to his apparent indestructability. Such as when the car he is travelling in falls on to the house. Jaws emerges through the door then dusts himself down and gives the shocked owner a cursary glance as he walks past him.

What a shame such a great character was virtually ruined in MR.

I don't mean "limited menace" to the point that Jaws didn't seem dangerous. He's a real killer in TSWLM and when he does his "hits", those are pretty chilling moments. But when Bond says that Jaws "kills people" in MR, that turns out to be false advertising. By then, all Jaws's killing is strictly past tense.
  • NYBritNYBrit Posts: 7MI6 Agent
    Yes i would agree that Spy Who Loved Me is a great film but i still prefer Living Daylights it has its moments for me anyway! Did you guys know that The Spy Who Loved Me is Sir Roger's Favourite Bond film. The cast is superb and Curt Jurgens is SENSATIONAL as Stromberg, Caroline Munro, Micheal Billington (nearly a Bond)Richard Keil as Jaws, Shane Rimmer, Barbara Bach and the usual Bond Intelligence cast Lee, Maxwell, Brown, Gotell and not forgetting Roger's witt! need i say more. This even might be my favourite after all! I LOVE ALL Bonds as they are always action packed 2hrs or so of entertainment! Three Cheers for Bond what a guy
    {[] {[] {[] :007)

The Living Daylights is my all time favourite Bond movie but TSWLM is a very close second. I love the opening scene with him skiing off a cliff and the car chase is fantastic.
    Jaws would have been one of the most memorable villains ever if Moonraker hadn't ruined him!
    Caroline Munro was amazing especially the way she was flirting with Bond even as she was trying to kill him. The final battle was excellent too on a par with the final battle in YOLT.
    All in all one of the most memorable Bond movies ever.
  • wordswords Buckinghamshire, EnglandPosts: 249MI6 Agent
    Those of us old enough (sob!) will remember the excitement TSWLM generated when it first came out. One of my biggest regrets in life is I never actually saw it at the cinema because the day my sister took me the House Full sign went up before we got to the front of the queue (yes, stuff like that happened in those days kids! ;) ).

She never tried again with me so I missed it and my first film at the cinema ended up being Moonraker!
  • Sir Hillary BraySir Hillary Bray College of ArmsPosts: 2,174MI6 Agent
    The first Bond film I ever saw, and to this day one of my top 3. The parachute jump is my single favorite sequence of the entire series.

Nice review, Fish.
    Hilly...you old devil!
  • Ice Station 0Ice Station 0 Posts: 44MI6 Agent
    Overall it's very good but I have one big problem with it and that is Barbara Bach. The poor dear is not an actress and spoiled an otherwise above average Bond movie. She walks through her part, saying her lines as if they were made of cardboard. I cannot believe for a moment that she is the "top spy" that the Soviets send to find their missing sub. Surely they could have found a competant actress besides Ringo Star's wife.
  • AlFoAlFo Posts: 15MI6 Agent
    I reckon those synth musical scores are just about to be bearable again. I love all the disco stuff now, especially with the most feared weapon in Moores arsenal; the roger moore judo chop!

I think fyeo and tswlm are the 2 best moore films but he's always good value in my book.
  • delliott101delliott101 Posts: 115MI6 Agent
    Well, I think FYEO is a better Bond film as far as the Moore Bonds go.. but I do like the polish and pizazz of TSWLM.

It is a great Bond film and Moore's acting was excellent, like he finally settled into the role and made it his own. Even though it's an updated YOLT, it's an awesome update!
    edited February 2007
    I adore TSWLM. I consider it to be the greatest non-Connery Bond fiom of all time, as well as IMO the last absolute Bond masterpiece. I really think it's a brilliant film. What I love about it is that, as well as Moore delivering his greatest ever performance IMO, the elements merged completely in it IMO. Although it's sixth on my list, it would be fifth if it weren't for my loyalty to Connery (I consider TSWLM to be superior to YOLT but, out of loyalty to Connery, I can't bear to drop YOLT out of the top 5.)
  • wordswords Buckinghamshire, EnglandPosts: 249MI6 Agent
    Dan Same wrote:
    I adore TSWLM. I consider it to be the greatest non-Connery Bond fiom of all time, as well as IMO the last absolute Bond masterpiece. I really think it's a brilliant film. What I love about it is that, as well as Moore delivering his greatest ever performance IMO, the elements merged completely in CR. Although it's sixth on my list, it would be fifth if it weren't for my loyalty to Connery (I consider TSWLM to be superior to YOLT but, out of loyalty to Connery, I can't bear to drop YOLT out of the top 5.)

Hey Dan, I'm pleased to see someone else who loves YOLT, a grandscale Bond movie that gets a rough ride in my view. It is my favourite Connery Bond but I get slaughtered for that opinon! 8-)

Sorry off topic - back to TSWLM!
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,991Quartermasters
    Dan Same wrote:
    I adore TSWLM. I consider it to be the greatest non-Connery Bond fiom of all time, as well as IMO the last absolute Bond masterpiece. I really think it's a brilliant film. What I love about it is that, as well as Moore delivering his greatest ever performance IMO, the elements merged completely in CR...

Ah hah! :v Proof that my mind control still holds sway...absolute Bond masterpiece, indeed...

Never underestimate The German's power... ;)
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
    words wrote:
    Hey Dan, I'm pleased to see someone else who loves YOLT, a grandscale Bond movie that gets a rough ride in my view. It is my favourite Connery Bond but I get slaughtered for that opinon! 8-)
    Indeed, it's awesome! :D
    Ah hah! :v Proof that my mind control still holds sway...absolute Bond masterpiece, indeed...

Never underestimate The German's power... ;)
    Sorry Loeff. :p :D
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,991Quartermasters
    edited February 2007
    Dan Same wrote:
    ...as well as Moore delivering his greatest ever performance IMO, the elements merged completely in CR.*

* This is what I was talking about, Dan. Even in a response about TSWLM, CR pervades your unconscious thought... :v
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
    edited February 2007
    Dan Same wrote:
    ...as well as Moore delivering his greatest ever performance IMO, the elements merged completely in CR.*

* This is what I was talking about, Dan. Even in a response about TSWLM, CR pervades your unconscious thought... :v
    :)) I can't believe I did that. ;% Well, you got me there. Considering that it's not the first time I did it, perhaps I subconsciously am a big fan of CR and Craig. :o

P.S. I have now edited it. ;)
  • bluemanblueman PDXPosts: 1,667MI6 Agent
    Just watched it again for a treat. It's schizophrenic: very awkward transitions (at least for these days) from cheesy to deadly serious in almost the blink of an eye, time and again. Felt like mental whiplash by the end. The Bond style comes across as forced and childish, just very annoying, for me. Even in the very bad DAF, Connery comes across as less of a dolt (okay, barely). Yet oddly, Moore has some of his best moments in TSWLM, and quite a lot of them. It's easy to like this film, not so much to respect it.

Also, I'm a total sucker for the disco Bond music Hamlisch cooked up for it. For Gilbert's Bonds, a much better pace than YOLT (the travelogue bits are much briefer, really helps move things along), better plotting as well. No ninjas is a minus (can't have everything).
  • taitytaity Posts: 702MI6 Agent
    blueman wrote:
    Also, I'm a total sucker for the disco Bond music Hamlisch cooked up for it.

He so should have struck up a Saturday Night Fever pose while in that yellow jumpsuit. And skiing too, he'd have owened Travlota's arse.

I dislike Spy, it always seems uneasy watching to me. Additionally when on the tanker it feels very slow. However, I love Roger's performance - mainly the confrontation scene with Anya.